PDA

View Full Version : Confiscated liquids etc. at check in

mt1832
16th Apr 2007, 16:28
Could anyone tell me what happens to all the aerosols, shower gel etc. which routinely get confiscated from passengers? (Are they just dumped -if so that's not very green!)

I'm a frequent short trip passenger and routinely travel with hand baggage only for 1 or 2 nights away. The 150ml rule seems to be interpreted differently each time and I get either my shower gel, deodorant or shave foam (or all three) confiscated. I then buy replacements airside and later go through the same process on the return (great business for the airport shops!)

pacer142
17th Apr 2007, 12:52
The 150ml rule seems to be interpreted differently each time

I suspect all of them are letting something through they shouldn't!

If you ensure that all of them are in manufacturer-marked bottles of 100ml or less (not partially-full larger bottles, and not unmarked bottles or bottles containing things they weren't intended for) in your correct-sized plastic bag, you shouldn't get any of them confiscated, ever.

For shaving foam I recommend you try those tiny bottles of shaving oil - it's *far* better and I haven't gone back since I tried it.

lexxity
17th Apr 2007, 13:06
Surely it just works out easier to check your bag in?

As to what happens the stuff confiscated at secruity is supposed to be disposed of properly. Lighters are collected by the fireservice.

A2QFI
17th Apr 2007, 13:28
My slightly cynical take on this is that the goods are perks of the job for the lowly-paid security staff. I genuinely forgot a nice jar of honey I had in my hand luggage and it was confiscated. I hope it tasted as good on their toast as it would have on mine!

mt1832
17th Apr 2007, 13:39
Just think of the damage you could have done with that honey if you were a terrorist!

zarniwoop
17th Apr 2007, 15:34
A few months ago one of the newspapers from the west coast of the USA had a story about the local regional airport and their solution to the problem. The airport bagged up all the toiletries they had confiscated and offered them to local charities to distribute among homeless and low income families. Seems like an imaginitive solution to me.

carousel
10th May 2007, 15:55
1. It is considered gross misconduct to remove any surrendered item from the search area for personal use or resale.
2.After reading all the posts on this subject, do you honestly think that security staff on £**,000 p.a. are going bin diving for half empty body lotion that might or might not be what it says on the label.

J-Man
10th May 2007, 21:04
If passengers give items on check in, they are binned (a bit like the bottle of lactulose a passenger was willing to hand over :yuk:)

At security i regularly see them in big bin bags with the cleaning companies taking them to the skips to be disposed of. After all, you dont know where items have been!

Standard Noise
11th May 2007, 12:02
Most pharmacies in the UK sell little bottles for you to put shampoo etc into so you can carry them in hand luggage. They usually hold enough for 3 or 4 days away from home. It's not really difficult is it?

Getoutofmygalley
12th May 2007, 10:04
Most pharmacies in the UK sell little bottles for you to put shampoo etc into so you can carry them in hand luggage. They usually hold enough for 3 or 4 days away from home. It's not really difficult is it?

Except Standard Noise your liquids are supposed to be in the ORIGINAL containers, so your comment of "It's not really difficult is it?" is mute!

Standard Noise
12th May 2007, 12:54
Galley - Well I've used those containers for years and I haven't had a problem since this hoo haa started. So no, it's not really difficult!

DON T
14th May 2007, 02:57
I would be more worried about what the liquids were rather than where they had been. After all mixing two liquids could lead to a catastrophy in the shower.

Monkeytoo
14th May 2007, 05:22
I have also used those refillable bottles Standardnoise........and have had no problems.:hmm:

Piltdown Man
15th May 2007, 22:36
And have you ever wondered what naughty people would do with these dangerous liquids? Why, they'd merely cool them down to minus 20 or so (obviously nothing special required here then...) and then carefully, drop by dop add the fuel to the oxidiser... OOPS!.... Wrong way round!

New team. Add the oxidiser to the fuel and mix it up VERY CAREFULLY. Then, after and hour or so at your seat, totally un-noticed, mixing unstable liquid components (at 20 below zero with all the paraphenalia that that requires) announce to a totally unsuspecting set of cabin cleaners at your destination, that you have a bomb. They hate their job so much that they ask you to detonate it!

Gosh! I wonder who has won!

PM