PDA

View Full Version : SIA about Permanent Residency

ozman777
16th Apr 2007, 11:39
Hello guys!

I live in Switzerland now and I expect to settle in Singapore to apply for Singapore Airlines Cadet pilots sheme.

But they require a Permanent Residency :bored:

As I have a GCE O and a GCE A, do you know how long it will take for me to get the PR? And which Job is appropriate to get the PR according my school education?

I've also heard that some cadets went trough the 1st Interview with an Employment Pass only, do you think it would be a way to get in the selections for me also?

I'm quite worried about these procedures, because I expect to settle in Singapore in two or three weeks.

See you, thanks, and have a nice day!

Ozman

Thermal Image
16th Apr 2007, 14:31
Hello guys!

I live in Switzerland now and I expect to settle in Singapore to apply for Singapore Airlines Cadet pilots sheme.

But they require a Permanent Residency

As I have a GCE O and a GCE A, do you know how long it will take for me to get the PR? And which Job is appropriate to get the PR according my school education?

I've also heard that some cadets went trough the 1st Interview with an Employment Pass only, do you think it would be a way to get in the selections for me also?

I'm quite worried about these procedures, because I expect to settle in Singapore in two or three weeks.

See you, thanks, and have a nice day!

Ozman

The way you craft your questions suggests that you are applying for permanent residence on your own merits and not as part of a family unit eg maybe your father is coming here and is being offered permanent residence, and as his son you are thinking of riding on his coat tails and getting permanent residence.

You also seem to think that applying for permanent residence on your own is like opening an account at Amazon.com.

If you are asking what the requirements are, and the time needed to process the application, then clearly you have not visited the appropriate government website.

I'll save you some time - if you think that you can get permanent residence first by just applying for it like a video library card, with no job in hand, then forget it. Don't even bother.

And BTW, the MINIMUM requirements are Os and As. But nearly ALL the applicants have degrees. Some have TWO.

overmars
16th Apr 2007, 15:49
Most foreigners under the SIA cadet scheme come in with an Employment Pass. There are a few exceptions where some are PRs, but usually after studying in a local university.

TI is absolutely right. The government will not give you a PR status if you don't have a job in hand. Even the foreigners who studied in the local university must secure a job before applying for their PR status. However, during your training, you can apply for a PR status based on your employment status. With SIA, it should not be a problem.

The Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) (http://app.ica.gov.sg/serv_pr/index.asp) is the department in charge. You may want to pay a visit to their website to see what the procedures are. But like what TI said, they won't offer you a PR based on nothing.

In that case, you will want to visit the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) (http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en/communities/work_pass/employment_pass.html) instead to read up on the Employment Pass.

HotelUniform
16th Apr 2007, 17:18
Hi Ozman,

To summarize, nothing is for free. You have to contribute in one way or another to the State in question before they can offer you a PR. (applicable only if you are coming alone)

ozman777
16th Apr 2007, 18:17
Thank you a lot, IT and Overmars.

You also seem to think that applying for permanent residence on your own is like opening an account at Amazon.com.

Lol, not exactly, but what I excpected, was to get a job, with which I could obtain the Permanent Residency after a certain time.

Overmars, so, if I understand well, I can apply to the cadets of Singapore Airlines, while living in Singapore with an Employment Pass only? can you or someone else confirm this? Because they ask for the PR on their website. If I could do it with an Employment Pass this would simplify a lot the procedure. (Actually, the admission to the selections of SIA is my first aim, and the PR was the way to be admitted in these selections)

Have a nice day, all!
Ozman

Thermal Image
17th Apr 2007, 03:09
Overmars, so, if I understand well, I can apply to the cadets of Singapore Airlines, while living in Singapore with an Employment Pass only? can you or someone else confirm this? Because they ask for the PR on their website. If I could do it with an Employment Pass this would simplify a lot the procedure. (Actually, the admission to the selections of SIA is my first aim, and the PR was the way to be admitted in these selections)

I'll make it as simple as 1-2-3 for you.

1. PR means PR. Not EP. As a foreigner (not being a Malaysian) you CANNOT get selected to be a cadet whilst holding only an EP. But after you get in, the company will sponsor your application to get you an EP. Any cadet who got into SIA whilst holding an EP was because he was Malaysian. You are not Malaysian.

2. As a foreigner, if you think that you want to get PR in order to get into SIA's cadet scheme, then budget for at least 4 years. Because no degree, no PR. So first you need to get into one of the universities. You think you can with your results? Then after completing your university, you need to get a job in order to get PR. You think that will happen?

3. After all that time and money, you may or may not get PR. Just on the off-chance you do get PR, what makes you think SIA will choose you as a cadet, bearing in mind that there are literally hundreds of young men way more qualified than you in terms of scholastic and work achievement?

overmars
17th Apr 2007, 03:23
I seem to have understood your previous post wrongly. I read it as you have already been offered the position of Cadet Pilot under SIA.

Traditionally, SIA used to only take in Singaporeans, Malaysians or Singapore Permanent Residents only. However, recently, they have been taken people from other countries too such as India and Hong Kong without requiring them to be PRs prior to applying. You did not state your nationality but I am assuming it is not one of the above mentioned. Nonetheless, you can still apply because there have been some exceptions.

Should you be successful, like previously mentioned, you will be issued an Employment Pass. You can't apply for an Employment Pass prior to being employed by any company. If you want to, you can apply to be a PR as an Employment Pass holder.

pumping iron
17th Apr 2007, 13:01
Hi Ozman, Thermal Image is right when he said that. Not because he wants to discourage you but to only cite the fact... A lot of singaporeans who holds a degree or two even an MBA but still sometimes they don't make it through, coz there's really a lot of qualified dudes out there.... Am a filipino who holds SPR and a degree in engineering but still no luck...

I don't want to put your flames down my friend but just to save you from all troubles...

Cheers mate....:ok:

ozman777
18th Apr 2007, 03:24
Hello!

Thank you, all! So, now, I know it's not possible for me to get a job in order to get a PR in a short time.

But my first ambition is to join the Singapore Airlines Cadet Pilots selections. So I'll change a little bit my question.

I am swiss. Is it possible to apply to the cadets if I don't have the PR? They ask for the PR, but some rumors say it is possible without it. If someone else heard about this, it would help me to make the choice.

I'm trying to call Singapore Airlines, I got the good number for the cadet sheme, but it's quite hard to contact them. (actually, there was no answer yet)

Good bye, Ozman.

Thermal Image
18th Apr 2007, 04:42
I am swiss. Is it possible to apply to the cadets if I don't have the PR? They ask for the PR, but some rumors say it is possible without it. If someone else heard about this, it would help me to make the choice.

The short answer is no PR, no cadetship. But then your problem is not really the PR, it is your educational qualifications. Yes, they state the minimum requirements are Os and As. But as I have said, nearly all the cadets that are accepted have university degrees, some have TWO. So if you have just the minimum, you won't get selected, PR or no PR. Even Singapore citizens with only Os and As will not get accepted unless they are ex-air force. So do you still think that as a total foreigner with only Os and As you will get chosen?

I'm trying to call Singapore Airlines, I got the good number for the cadet sheme, but it's quite hard to contact them. (actually, there was no answer yet)

Don't waste your time and money. You can't express yourself well in writing, and you'll only be speaking to some receptionist, and after all the effort of trying to get your message across, you're not going to be any better informed, so what is the point of all that effort?

ozman777
18th Apr 2007, 04:57
Even Singapore citizens with only Os and As

Okay, but I went trough the selections of the pilots for the Swiss Air Force, and I was one of the last 50 out of the first 1500 applicants, when I failed to a test. So I have more than Os and As, which are just papers.

I also have a PPL.

I just would like to be sure that SIA cadets doesn't take foreigners without PR in their selections before giving up.

If I go immediately to Swiss Int'l Airlines (which is very uncomparable to SIA and more expensive as SIA for a cadet), I would regret to have not tried to go to SIA.

Thank you, Have a nice day! (I know, I'm boring. You -> :ugh: :) <- Me ..)

Phil Squares
18th Apr 2007, 05:03
I just would like to be sure that SIA cadets doesn't take foreigners without PR in their selections before giving up.

They don't!

on_the_right
18th Apr 2007, 11:19
they have taken very very few. please apply to SIA, there is no harm in applying anyway. you dont lose anything, and you might even get to add to the list of those very very few foreigners without PRs working for SIA.

Arkdriver
19th Apr 2007, 06:12
There have been people hired by the company as cadets who are neither PRs nor Degree holders, though admittedly few. To say there have been none is untrue.
Whilst improving your chances, having both a PR and a Degree doesn't guarantee employment, as TI has stated. Having said this, the selection criteria doesn't extend to just your qualifications.

ozman777
20th Apr 2007, 02:58
Hello, sorry for late reply.

As I see, there are some people, who say that non-PR cadets where hired by SIA.

So I think I must settle in S'pore to try to enter the selections, even if it is more difficult for a non-PR applicant, or even see by myself that it is impossible to get in as ThermalImage and Phil Squares said.
As HotelUniform said for another thing, nothing is for free, and if harder is the way, harder I'll fight to get what I want. I have waited to much here, in Switzerland and I must do something.
If I fail in Singapore, I'll just come back to Switzerland and try for Swiss Int'l Airlines.

Thank you, and as always, have a good day !

Ozman

itsbrokenagain
24th Apr 2007, 02:11
Ozmann, why dont you just be like the rest of the worlds pilots, get the licences yourself ! I know thats a stretch of the imagination at this point, but it may be your realistic option, as you are not from Singapore or Malaysia... which in reality means you are wasting your time, and others time.

Get a licence, get a job, and work your way up. Plus just cause you have a ppl doesnt make you a god!, anyone can get and hold a ppl, its not rocket science !!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think you need to do a lot more research about why you want to fly, what you want to fly and where you want to fly.

Oh PLUS you have already broken one of the cardinal rules of being a pilot... always get a licence first and foremost in your country of residence/citizenship. (ie I am an Australian, with a Oz atpl(no longer current), plus a whole lot of other country atpls, and now work in the USA on a FAA ATPL).

guybrush
25th Apr 2007, 16:36
Hey everyone!

I am replying in reference to the post that itsbrokenagain kindly contributed.

The fact remains that self-sponsoring our own training remains an overwhelmingly expensive task, but I am sure you all new that. Not everyone is willing to pay the outrageous fees for training (as much as we would love to). Even with a job at hand, it would still take a long time to achieve the minimum to join an airline (big or small). By that time, it would be a bit of a gamble to make the sharp change from the current career to a flying career, if a position with an airline is found in the first place.

In reality, it is more secure to join an airline on a training bond rather than sponsor our own training. At the end, there is a guaranteed job and no training fees to pay, unless they are deducted from the salary; but it is much easier to pay the fees over a period of years than over a period of slightly over one year.

Just my thoughts,
guybrush