PDA

View Full Version : Asthma?

99nasha
15th Apr 2007, 19:36
Ive know about the issues of asthma and RAF aircrew for a long time. Im still focused and determined on meeting my goal of becoming a military pilot. I was diagnosed when I was 2 and never had anything since. I was told by doctors that any child with a slight wheeze was diagnosed with asthma in the 80's. Its been my life long dream to fly in the RAF and Im not going to let some idiot doctor take this away from me. If I can get written notes, or a second opinion is there anyway this rule can be side stepped?

2close
15th Apr 2007, 20:18
You can be open and honest or you can forget it ever happened and let it slip your mind.

Personally, I'd be tempted to just go on the medical you have now and your present physical condition.

Alternatively, telephone the Aeromedical Centre and ask them - just don't give them your proper name.

If you do tell them they may very well take it into consideration. Remember there are hundreds applying for one job!!

This may sound somewhat deceitful but your circumstances exactly happened to a friend of mine, who was halfway through his heli training and was binned for having had childhood asthma at 3 years old, never having any form of pulmonary infection since. Super fit and binned for some mis-diagnosis from his childhood!! He'd forgotten all about it but they trawled his medical history and found it.

There is always the chance they will find out in any case, if the docs decide to go through your medical history with a fine tooth comb so you need to weigh up the pros and cons and make your decision.

HTH (but it probably doesn't)

2close

beechgal
19th Apr 2007, 14:27
What about exercise-induced asthma and the use of bronchodilators to alleviate the condition? Would that count against someone during a medical for a PPL/CPL or would it be noted on your medical with a restriction?

Thanks

gingernut
19th Apr 2007, 14:43
and Im not going to let some idiot doctor take this away from me.

Probably not the best way of gaining an informed response :)

Try a search on this forum, as this has been covered many times before. It doesn't sound like you have too much to fear, as it would seem that your original diagnosis, at the age of 2, was questionnable.

Albert Driver
19th Apr 2007, 16:40
At the risk of becoming the forum bore on the subject:

In the UK you have the right to see your medical records, the right to ensure those records are accurate and the right to request (but not demand) that records you consider inaccurate are amended or deleted.

In the 1980's and before, medical records were often full of notes (some not always polite!) that were little more than speculation as a doctor, and often his medical partners, worked their way through an often complex set of symptoms to reach a diagnosis.
It all been different since 1991. Notes are now mostly held on computer. Old records have usually been pruned for non-relevant comments and data and now they should be accurate and relevant.

Everyone considering a flying career should inspect their medical records first to see if there is anything within them that may hinder the granting of a medical certificate. Discuss with your doctor anything that looks like it may be disqualifying and ask if he is certain the medical evidence backs up the diagnosis. If not he can at his sole discretion modify the record. If there is no evidence-based diagnosis, only speculation, and the problem is no longer current, you should politely ask for it to be removed, or a more general term used.

However at the end of the day aviation medical certification is there for your protection as well as everyone else. If they say you can't fly you can be pretty sure it would be very unwise of you to try.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A1181657

gingernut
19th Apr 2007, 20:13
If there is no evidence-based diagnosis, only speculation, and the problem is no longer current, you should politely ask for it to be removed, or a more general term used. Seems sensible advice. .......although the actions of a certain GP from Tameside has made this process a little more complicated unfortunately.

On the info. you've given 99nasha, it may be possible that you have suffered a "viral wheeze," when aged 2- just in case your friendly GP needs a suggestion:oh::ok: