PDA

View Full Version : MK 747 tire burst closes ORT runway

Zenj
15th Apr 2007, 17:18
Hi

Yesterday as we were to depart , a cargo B747 of MK Airlines while departing Runway 03L had tyre burst and left lot of debris which necessitated runway closure for 45 mins.

Some aircrafts unable to use shorter runway 03R had to turn back to the gates while those able had to taxy slowly giving way to landing traffic as joburg came down to single runway operation.

I do not know the destination of the aircraft but it continued with the flight and not sure of their landing thereafter as it never returned back to FAJS.

Any Information ?

Zenj

Romeo E.T.
17th Apr 2007, 18:39
Africa: South Africa Cargo Plane Crashlands in Lagos

This Day (Lagos)

April 17, 2007
Posted to the web April 17, 2007

Chinedu Eze
Lagos

The sour tale of near fatality at the nation's airports has continue unabated, as a South African cargo aircraft with registration number, B-MKL landed on its belly, weekend, at the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos.

The plane was said to have lost its two tyres, while preparing to land.

Pilot of the aircraft allegedly contacted the control tower, which contacted other relevant agencies to prepare for crash landing.

The aircraft landed at about 6.25p.m. on its belly, damaging a part of the runway 18right of the international wing of the airport, which led to the temporary closure of the runway for repairs.

THISDAY learnt that the incident would have been tragic, but for concerted efforts of fire officers of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria(FAAN), and other agencies within the airport that dutifully and efficiently manned their positions to rescue the aircraft.

Waiting for the aircraft were 80 FAAN firemen, 30 medical doctors and nurses,15 Air force officers and men of the Civil Defence Corps who were at alert to avert any danger.

The distressed plane eventually landed at the cargo terminal of the airport with its 10 crew members. The runway has since been reopened for use after its repair.

Major airlines in Nigeria have scheduled a meeting for today, to deliberate on ways to permanently avert these near fatal incidents and to re-appraise their attitude to safety and aircraft maintenance.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200704170094.html

Zenj
18th Apr 2007, 07:28
Thanks for the info !

Any chance of getting some pictures to see the extent of the damage ?

forkingfishing
18th Apr 2007, 08:15
Hi,

I think there is a bit of confusion regarding the MKA 747, since when do they have aircraft on the B register as far as I know they only have aircraft on the G and on the 9G register? Zenj posted the thread on the 15th of April saying Yesterday as we were to depart

meaning that the incident in question happened on the 14th of April?

The newspaper article the Romeo E. T. posted is dated the 17th are we not looking at 2 different storys here?

if anyone has more news let us know please!

:confused:

Ingwe
18th Apr 2007, 11:46
I think you're definately looking at two diff stories plus a bit of liberal journalism... No MK aircraft B-Reg plus a 747 landing on it's 'belly' is not only highly unlikely but would have made major international news... The MK aircraft reg MKL was seen in JNB yesterday (17/04) looking alive and healthy?

Zenj
18th Apr 2007, 12:19
I think the same way, two different aircrafts !

MK Airline makes news all over the place when something goes wrong with it !

Newforest
18th Apr 2007, 18:55
I would suggest you take your post and ....... put it in the Professional Pilot Training thread.

forkingfishing
18th Apr 2007, 20:56
www.mkairlines.com (http://www.mkairlines.com) MK airlines is an airline that flies freight around the world. dont get confused with MK i.e Air Maurituis thats another kettle of fish.

good luck bugger I hope you get a job!

FF