PDA

View Full Version : UK Helos Collide in Iraq

Squirrel 41
15th Apr 2007, 10:05
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east /6556873.stm

RIP

wokkameister
15th Apr 2007, 10:14
The same BBC were reporting them as American this morning. Must be great working for the Beeb. Make it short, make it sweet, if no information available, make it up!!!!

Nil nos tremefacit
15th Apr 2007, 10:26
Condolences to families and friends. RIP

barnstormer1968
15th Apr 2007, 10:26
Have just heard on "Talksport" radio, that two "British army" helicopters have crashed near Baghdad resulting in Two fatalities. Although i understand that "British army" can mean Royal Navy, British Army or Royal Air Force, or any other coalition country. I am wondering if anyone has any firm news on this (or at least fact's suitable for an open forum).
Having just re-read what i have typed, it sounds very goolish and uncaring in its attitude. That could not be further from how I feel, all I want to know is how well the survivors are doing, and that we are doing our best to preserve the safety and well being of all involved.
My utmost respect and gratitude to all involved. You all all doing a bloody professional job, with little resources. And it seems that far too many of you are paying the ultimate price for totally undeserving politicians.

R.I.P. Knowing that an awful lot of people do care about you, and what you did, FOR US.

serf
15th Apr 2007, 10:27
BBC News 24 have reported a MOD statement has said which type.

andgo
15th Apr 2007, 10:28
BBC have just released the type, but not on MOD site.

RIP guys

wokkameister
15th Apr 2007, 10:29
RIP

Kalium- take your point, but do we have to go through this every time?

Tiger_mate
15th Apr 2007, 10:51
BBC News 24 did report them this morning as american.
Then they were British.
Now they are Puma's.
Heaven only knows what they will be before the days out.

This article:
http://www.24dash.com/centralgovernment/19338.htm

Tells the tale, and pictures a Merlin. I wish these people would get it right for once.

In any event, I am dreading the news. RIP

Gnd
15th Apr 2007, 10:53
Me too, The miss NEWS is so stressing.

Let's stick togethr for their sakes and not have a go at each other?

SilsoeSid
15th Apr 2007, 11:16
Kalium,

For your information the info this morning, when I saw it at 07:30, was not only that they were US aircraft, but also it was reported that no UK troops were believed to be involved. Funny thing to say so early, don't you think?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/04/15/whelicopter115.xml
The downed helicopters were initially reported to be American. The helicopters came down early this morning in a rural area close to a large US military base. US aircraft have previously come under fire from insurgents in the region.

So as far as wokkameisters post above is concerned, it does seem as though the BBC made it up as they went along and also obeyed the apparent instruction from the Govt that they are to report as little about UK casualties as possible!

Perhaps we should all get off our high horses and realise the true tragedy in all this.....another helicopter collision!

RIP

Tappers Dad
15th Apr 2007, 11:17
Please make it stop !!!! May I send my condolences to the families and friends of those lost.

Nat O'Thee
15th Apr 2007, 11:21
Thoughts are with all those involved.

RIP and thinking about the third.

Many friends in the area and now sat with an a feeling of sickness awaiting names.

gar170
15th Apr 2007, 11:34
This seems to be a more up to date report.

I just wish the media would just get facts right before going on air Just a little sorry a LOT more consideration for all the families of every serviceman deployed could be shown why they have to turn it into a first past the post race i don't know.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1260652,00.html

RIP
and safe return to all others.

owe ver chute
15th Apr 2007, 11:34
As aviators we seem to be acquainted with death more often than the average Joe; though it never gets any easier to come to terms with.
My thoughts and sincere condolences go out to the family of those involved in this terrible accident, and to the friends and colleagues still in harms way.

Rest in Peace

High_lander
15th Apr 2007, 11:41
We should be used to this, we know that they usually get information incorrect first time round.

Sky News showing Black Hawks.

RIP

WE Branch Fanatic
15th Apr 2007, 12:19
Rest in peace guys.

F4Spider
15th Apr 2007, 12:39
Got to be better than John Land (24Dash.com) who has attached a picture of a Merlin. You kind of assume these guys know what they are talking about .... but it just goes to show!

RIP guys.

c130jbloke
15th Apr 2007, 12:39
My sincere condolences to family and friends. Their sacrifices will not be forgotten.

Per Ardua ad Astra

C130jbloke (ex 230 Sqn 88 – 90)

Fast but Safe
15th Apr 2007, 13:08
Reporter from Sky News standing outside Whitehall just said the Puma has a crew of two pilots and a navigator. These people are supposed to be at the top of our information ladder.

FbS

Jerry Can
15th Apr 2007, 13:26
Condolences to all concerned. Another sad day, RIP guys.

SmilingKnifed
15th Apr 2007, 14:13
Can only echo the sentiments already posted. Out of the loop now and got that awful feeling in the stomach whenever this type of news breaks. Whether it's friends or not, my thoughts are with the families receiving awful news.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

SK and family

Spikey T
15th Apr 2007, 14:21
Per Ardua ad Astra.

Spikey

Cmn2644
15th Apr 2007, 14:53
When are the media going to learn ?? I wish they would just report the facts - apparantly a lot harder than it sounds !

RIP guys - we wont forget you.

The Swinging Monkey
15th Apr 2007, 15:04
What a dreadful end to a bloody dreadful week.

RIP guys. You join a band of very special people whose names and happy memories will live in our hearts forever. Mrs SM and I will raise a glass or two tonight and say a few quiet prayers together before we reflect quietly and remember those we have lost.

Our sincere condolences to the families of those involved in this dreadful accident, and to the friends and colleagues still out there. Be safe everyone.
God Bless

Mr & Mrs SM

cooheed
15th Apr 2007, 15:04
For the guys attending the last muster parade, RIP and condolences to their families and friends.
Speedy recovery wished to the injured.

How many more?

Almost_done
15th Apr 2007, 15:19
RIP from Mr and Mrs A_D.

Sad news indeed, our thoughts go out to the injured and the families.

CollectivePitchFairy
15th Apr 2007, 15:51
My thoughts and those of Mr CPF are with the families and friends of those lost and injured. It is so sad that yet again we lose a friend and a great person...

Mac, we followed each other from Shawbury around the Sqns and it was always great to fly with you, especially when you kept me laughing in Basra!

RIP Mac you will never be forgotten x

teeteringhead
15th Apr 2007, 16:28
However often it's happened - and it's hapened a lot recently - you just never get used to it......

....... RIP to all and condolences to family, friends and colleagues - and we must not forget the VSI.........:(

PPRuNeUser0211
15th Apr 2007, 16:45
RIP, am out of the loop as well, but hoping this is the last time this happens...

TonkaEngO
15th Apr 2007, 17:07
RIP - doesn't matter what ac type or who. There but for the grace of God

TheWizard
15th Apr 2007, 17:13
More Brothers in Arms lost. Another sad day.
Rest in Peace boys.

Nomad72
15th Apr 2007, 17:27
RIP and God speed to those transitioning to a better place. You will be sorely missed.

Thoughts with the families and the VSI

barnstormer1968
15th Apr 2007, 18:06
Teeteringhead check your pm's:ok:

Faithless
15th Apr 2007, 18:23
Another sad day that rips the aviation family apart, be it Navy, Army and in this very sad case Air Force. It gets harder and harder to swallow.

My thoughts are with the families right now. RIP guys.

P.S The Swinging Monkey great words buddy.

Stitchbitch
15th Apr 2007, 18:35
Very sad news, having enjoyed my time with the excellent people that make up the Puma force I feel a very tangible sense of loss this evening. R.I.P. and condolences from Mrs.Stitch and myself. Gone, but not forgotten - you will always have a place in our thoughts.

WASALOADIE
15th Apr 2007, 18:45
RIP guys. Condolences to the families. Best wishes to those injured, wishing you a speedy recovery. My thoughts are with the families, friends and colleagues affected by these tragic events.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

cornish-stormrider
15th Apr 2007, 18:47
Just heard, thoughts and prayers to all. will be hoisting another large drink in memory of more mates doing what they do.

RIP

this will have hit both XX and XXX (censored) sqns hard. When I was on XX we were a very tight team, even more so when they went sandyside.
I hope and pray that they will get the support and help they need.

Rude C'man
15th Apr 2007, 19:09
RIP . those that are VSI and injured, a speedy return .
There for the grace of God go I.
A glass or two will be raised at Cranditz for all those involved.

rolandpull
15th Apr 2007, 19:15
www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/puma.cfm

cornish-stormrider Whats the secret with the sqn numbers?

RIP to those who died. I understand one was a crewman.

The Claw
15th Apr 2007, 19:22
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/1284/tributeuj4.jpg

Condolences to all.

Spurlash2
15th Apr 2007, 19:23
From MOD website.
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/TwoBritishPersonnelKilledInIraqAsUkPumaHelicoptersCrash.htm[/URL]
My thoughts are with everyone affected.

sarsteph
15th Apr 2007, 19:52
My prayers are with the families of those lost, with the VSI and all at Benson, who've had more than their fair share of losses since '03.

RIP.

BootFlap
15th Apr 2007, 19:55
I hope there's a place, way up in the sky,
Where aircrew can go, when they have to die.
A place where a guy can get a cold beer
For a friend or a comrade whose memory is dear.
A place where no doctor or lawyer can tread,
And a scribbly-type would not be caught dead!
Just a quaint little place, kind of dark, full of smoke,
Where they like to sing loud, and love a good joke!
The kind of a place where a lady could go,
And feel safe and secure by the men she would know.
There MUST be a place where old aircrew go,
When their wings become weary, and their airspeed gets low;
Where the whisky is old, and the women are young,
And songs about flying and dying are sung.
Where you'd see all your mates, who'd "flown west"
before,
And they'd call out your name, as you walked thru the door,
Who would buy you a drink, if your thirst should be bad,
And relate to the others, "He was such a nice lad!"
And there thru the mist you'd spot an old guy
You’d not seen for years, though he'd taught YOU to fly,
He'd nod his old head, and grin ear to ear,
And say, "Welcome, my son, I'm pleased you are here!
For this is the place where true flyers come,
When the battles are over, and the wars have been won;
We've come here at last, to be safe and alone,
From the government clerk, and the management clone,
Politicians and lawyers, police and the noise,
Where all Hours are Happy, and these good ol' boys,
Can relax with a 'cool one', and a well deserved rest.."
"Cos this is Heaven my son, you've passed your last test!"
(Anon)
RIP.

Jackonicko
15th Apr 2007, 20:15
VSI?

It's a dreadful tragedy, of course, and like many here, I'm feeling guilty that I'm sitting around hoping that the dead ALM won't be someone I know. (I know that's an awful thing to think, because the ALM and the dead soldier will be someone's sons, lots of people's friends, and perhaps someone's Dads).

But it could have been so much worse, surely? Two dead and two badly injured when two Pumas collide (where the total numbers on board could be up to 38, theoretically, though not hot and high).

Thank God for his small mercies, and may he comfort and protect the bereaved.

AHQHI656SQN
15th Apr 2007, 21:00
Bootflap :D

One day there'll be a place for all of us there, for those two who went on the advance party today, RiP and wink at the judge as you walk by.

The thoughts of my whole family go out to those who have had the privilege to know these fine individuals, though I doubt these words will help a great deal, not right now anyway.

:sad:

Rakshasa
15th Apr 2007, 22:25
RIP, fellas. Get the drinks in for us on cloud 9.

My sincere condolences for the friends and families of the lost and best wishes for the full recovery of those hurt.

teeteringhead
16th Apr 2007, 08:00
barnstormer1968

VMT for PM - agree entirely - see PM for fuller answer....:ok:

moosemaster
16th Apr 2007, 10:37
Yet more fallen comrades. Will it ever end?
Per Ardua...

mac1776
16th Apr 2007, 15:48
I was with the Father of the Crewman involved when the news was broken to him----devastating. Having lost his Son in Law a fortnight previously please spare him and all the families involved a thought.

Tigs2
16th Apr 2007, 15:59
macc1776
I assure you that there are hundreds of young men and women who are shocked and dismayed at the loss of this fine young man at the moment. You will note at the moment that comments are not very forthcoming on this thread, as i think many are waiting for the formal announcement of names. Please pass on the sincere condolences of myself and my family to your friend (Father of our lost comrade) and his family at this incredbly difficult time for them.

RIP. Condolences to all

servalan
16th Apr 2007, 16:21
Even though i know who it is still don't want to believe it untill it is announced . Work will never be the same again .Sending love and best wishes to all his family.

RIP mate .Raised a few glasses to you last night and tonight .You'll never be forgotten

Also RIP to the other guy. thoughts with all you know

will fly for food 06
16th Apr 2007, 17:42
RIP. My thoughts are with you.

ORAC
16th Apr 2007, 18:14
BBC: UK helicopter crash victim named

One of the servicemen who died when two helicopters crashed in Iraq on Sunday has been named as Colour Sergeant Mark Powell of the Parachute Regiment.

The family of the other man who died in the crash, an RAF airman, has asked for more time before his name is released.

The Ministry of Defence said that Colour Sergeant Powell, 37, of south Wales was "an exemplary soldier, father, husband, friend and Briton".

In a statement the Ministry of Defence said: "Colour Sergeant Mark Powell was an exemplary Combat Leader, soldier, father, husband, friend and Briton; dedicated to his family, his men, his mission and his country. In the finest traditions of the Army and his regiment - he was utterly selfless, never shirking danger, effort or hard service in the pursuit of his mission. His loss is tragic, and keenly felt by all but his example to others will be sure to endure and inspire us all for years to come. Our thoughts now are with his family and his comrades."

Fitbin
16th Apr 2007, 18:33
My thoughts and those of my family go out to all involved. R.I.P guys, we'll miss you and your courage.

Having left Benson a while ago after working closely with the sqn, I too find myself waiting with dread to hear the name of the crewman, as i'm sure I will have probably worked with him at some point.

Not good times at all....:(

XV277
16th Apr 2007, 19:11
My deepest sympathies to the family & friends of those involved, and a silent prayerin recognition that the casualty list wasn't much much higher.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/ColourSergeantMLPowellKilledInIraq.htm

No Vote Joe
16th Apr 2007, 19:14
Thoughts and prayers for all, from an Old School Persuit Ship Mate.

PlasticCabDriver
16th Apr 2007, 19:25
Mac1776,

we have drunk a few beers tonight, as is only right and proper, he was a fine man and an outstanding crewman, pse direct his father to this site, there he will see the true regard his son was held in

PCD

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

Colonal Mustard
16th Apr 2007, 20:03
Deepest sympathies to all concerned.........god speed to recovery of those injured and those that have not survived, our thoughts and support with you and your families,

many a pint drunk tonight by a couple of ex services(and a toast)to the brave men and women who are no longer with us and of those HM armed services doing the job for the rest of the world:(

Winch-control
16th Apr 2007, 20:59
Again, we lose another. Tonight I don't know the name; and therefore; I shouldn't. However, I am an ALM that has served on Chins and Seakings for the last 22yrs, and my heart goes out to the nearest and dearest, family and friends, of another ALM lost to this war...RIP...

neilmac
16th Apr 2007, 23:27
Having known the crewman at a previous base, he was funny, articulate and gave banter out as well!! He will be sorely missed not just by those in SHF, but those who have moved on around the RAF. Good people on the shop floor make the RAF, they are the ones who have earned the respect, and certainly all different trades within the RAF will raise a pint or 2 for a well respected comrade.
Thoughts to family and friends at this time

NM

Master Gunner
17th Apr 2007, 17:08
Words are very difficult at times like this, but please let family, friends and collegues know that our thoughts are with them.

So many of us can say .... 'There but for the grace of god go I'

Mr C
(Ex Wessex, Puma, Chinook and Merlin Crewman)

Stitchbitch
17th Apr 2007, 17:57
NeilMac you're not wrong there, his banter and wit will be missed by this call sign and the guys still at his previous unit. He was a good bloke, one of many on xx Sqn and it was my great pleasure to have worked with him and so many other fine aircrew, engineers and support staff during my time there.There will be a few wobblies downed tonight in the stitch household. Loyalty.
Mac you will be missed.:(

TeBoi
17th Apr 2007, 18:52
Only saw Mac's name on the news tonight - shocked beyond belief. He was in the next bed space to me at Cranditz. He was a really young lad back then but definitely a character. RIP mate, and my best wishes and deepest sympathy to your family.
TB

Topsy Turvey
17th Apr 2007, 19:44
For those who havn't heard = Name now released of RAF Crewman.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/ColourSergeantMLPowellAndSergeantMarkJMclarenKilledInIraq.ht m

RIP

TAC Queen
17th Apr 2007, 20:04
Had the honour to go through Cranwell with Mark
A cheeky grin and even cheekier sense of humour.
A sad sad loss.
Our thoughts are with his family.
R.I.P

Tac Queen and family

Brian Dixon
17th Apr 2007, 20:13
My sincere condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of those lost, and a speedy recovery to those injured.

Respectfully,
Brian

Winch-control
17th Apr 2007, 21:04
I didn't know Mark. I will miss him though none the less. My thoughts are with his family and friends. A sad loss to the loadie world. My glass is raised, although it helps you none, but I for one am really thinking of you all...

RUCAWO
17th Apr 2007, 21:49
The thoughts of myself and the rest of my ATC Sqns staff and cadets are with the family and 230 .RIP

fcbellio
17th Apr 2007, 22:41
I too was fortunate to go through Cranwell with Mac, a top lad, my heart felt condolences go out to those that were closest to him
fcbellio

heights good
18th Apr 2007, 00:12
RIP Mac, you were a friend and a colleague and you will be sorely missed. Our thoughts are with your family, especially the boys. Your gone but not forgotten mate.

Enjoy the foosball table in the sky.

"living the dream"

Heights good

HeadSouth
18th Apr 2007, 10:14
Went through AAITC with Mac and he was a great character who we shall all miss but will always be in our thoughts. My condolences to all

Headsouth

shawtarce
18th Apr 2007, 14:27
RIP Mac.
Condolences to the family, the friends, the colleagues and to all on 33 and 230, at this time.
Nev.

ProfessionalStudent
18th Apr 2007, 22:34
RIP Mac
A really bloody nice bloke.

Condolences to Mrs Mac and the family. I hope you have all the love and support you need.

fill_n_d
19th Apr 2007, 07:10
I went through AAITC with Mark and it was obvious from the outset that his confidence at such a young age would enable him to develop quickly into a much respected ALM; I never flew with Mark as we were on different fleets but my memories of him at Cranwell were always happy ones, never one to let the difficulty of the course get him down he was always one to go and chat to if you needed a pick me-up. Mark you were a great character then and it’s of no surprise that you developed into a much admired and respected guy. My sincere condolences to all his family - RIP Mark you will be sorely missed but never forgotten.

"The Old Moaner"

Brian Dixon
19th Apr 2007, 17:57
Sgt McLaren has been remembered on the Palace Barracks Memorial Website, as has Colour Sgt Powell.
http://www.palacebarracksmemorialgarden.org/RAF%20Iraq.htm

RIP

Isaac Hunt
23rd Apr 2007, 23:23
I am In close contact with Mrs Mac; she would like to forward her appreciation for all the kind words posted on this forum.

Mark will be sadly missed, a great friend, and valued colleague......

again many thanks.

Andy:D

9.81m/s/s
24th Apr 2007, 14:08
To Mrs Mac and family - my very deepest sympathy. I was an oppo of Macs in trg. Such a lust for life and such a tragic waste! I smile when I remember the laughs we had, he was a good lookin' bugger and a natural crewman! My thoughts are with you all.

RIP Mac.

Fond memories,