View Full Version : Air NZ Interviews

Sqwark2000
15th Apr 2007, 05:05
Apparantly calls went out for interviews in 3 weeks.

Anyone know where the candidates that were invited are coming from, hours & qualifications??

Interested to know where one sits in the ballpark, if at all!

Cheers

S2K

horserun
16th Apr 2007, 04:19
I have heard that most of the boys and girls they have picked out for interviews are kiwis working overseas, already with a bit of jet time to their name.
(I did hear this third hand, so could be all s**t).

For that matter If there is anyone out there who knows how Air NZs "point system" works I would love to hear all about it. I understand Nepotism is alive and well, so for those of us without any whanau working there how do we get our names to the top of the list?

Cheers

n8pilot
16th Apr 2007, 04:25
You get points for your rating, CPL, CPL + all ATPL writtens, most points for your ATPL already, also off flight time and experience. Not to sure on the fine details. I believe the pilots already in the pool should be starting soon. No idea when next round of interviews will be.

horserun
16th Apr 2007, 04:29
Cheers n8pilot.
Is it true you get lots of points if you went to university??

cyco
16th Apr 2007, 07:22
I know some long suffering soles have finnaly been given starts soon.

One 747 course end of April for 4. Another end of May for another 4 and 4 to start on the 777 in June.

As for the points, uni does add points but so to does other Tertiary study or trade qualifications

Sqwark2000
16th Apr 2007, 08:45
Calls went out again today, for June interview.

Had a PM from a mate in the UK who got a call last week, but he's just settled into Easyjet on the airbus so declined. Interesting point though... he hadn't updated with Air NZ since 2004.

Other points categories I've heard of is.... max points for 5000TT and also a experience v age one. One colleague was told "unofficially" that he was losing a point each year for being over 40.

Good luck to those getting the call.

S2K

fourfive
16th Apr 2007, 10:14
How many at each interview? Did anybody from in New Zealand get a call?? Know 2 guys with overseas adresses got called. One is coming back....the other is fishing..!Points system like S2000 says i believe......degree=max points, 5000 hours(not sure thats exact)=max points. Nepotism(horsesh**)Not so sure about the age versus experience thing though....Good luck to all

Sqwark2000
16th Apr 2007, 11:00
Know of 1 from Eagle (Capt) and 1 from Air NSN (F/O) so far

atiuta
16th Apr 2007, 17:14
Points deducted for age?

Sounds discriminatory to me. Dangerous territory.

centurian
16th Apr 2007, 21:24
"Points deducted for age?
Sounds discriminatory to me. Dangerous territory."
Thats why no one will ever know exactly how the system works. Only Big M little organ will ever know that process.
Nepotism certainly is not alive and well. The whole interview process was designed to prevent the old crustys getting there mates mistresses bast*d son from getting in.
I know of two MC FO's who have a start and one that has an interview in May.
Good luck, and if your on the 400 see you in Wan Chai.

Gravox
16th Apr 2007, 22:44
My understanding of the point system, and I have nothing to do with recruitment is;
+Nepotism is Dead, no longer a factor for getting a job
+Age doesn't come into the equation, it is experience so if you have 10,000 hrs you are believed to be around 40ish.
+University degrees gives extra points. PhD may deduct point = an academic
+Qualifications eg LAME helps

The point requirements for being selected for an interview varies. It varies depending on what Air NZ is looking for in their pilots. Do they want older guys, to fill a void, are they looking for management pilots, or line drivers.

Best of luck for all of you waiting for a call.

Borneo Wild Man
16th Apr 2007, 23:04
Centurion - I thought I taught you better than hang out around Wan Chai!!!:cool:

Uncle Chop Chop
17th Apr 2007, 06:07
who do I address my cover letter to?Can't find any info on their website. Cheers

Kiwi red
18th Apr 2007, 11:13
From a very good source I've heard that education is one of the points categories and anything short of a degree you don't get many points. Jet experience is good, but not neccessarily essential. But I've also heard that they were looking at changing the points system as it is antiquated - still hasn't changed, not likely to either.

Kanger
7th May 2007, 09:23
Having performed the search of the database with little success, would anybody have an update of the selection process being used at present. PM or info here would be highly appreciated

TIA
Kanger

flying-spike
7th May 2007, 10:18
What about 50, ATPL 3,000 total (2500 multi), ex AME, ex flight service, Masters Degree in Aviation Management? I know the years are against me but is insurmountable?

murdoch_disliker
7th May 2007, 16:32
So is Grovell out of the recruiting scene these days. If he is still on the scene I would recommend liberal lashings of ass licking in order to secure said position:p

turbolager
7th May 2007, 16:38
I'm confused. Are they hiring or firing? now that the hiring is all on, are they still 'asking' crew to take several years unpaid leave??? what a circus! :rolleyes:

Sqwark2000
7th May 2007, 17:43
I'm confused. Are they hiring or firing? now that the hiring is all on, are they still 'asking' crew to take several years unpaid leave???

They were overstocked on Capt's and F/O's on the B767 fleet which is slowly being phased out, but very short of second officers.

Instead of down-training people they offered LWOP to those they were overstocked with and are now hiring for the short second officer rank.

Possibly all evened out when the 787 arrives and the LWOP chaps return from the sandpit and the orient.

S2K

horserun
8th May 2007, 00:02
So are there many boys and girls out there with interviews??

Hakaman2
8th Jun 2007, 06:19
Hi there. First post.

Air NZ are interviewing for active positions very soon. I am sure the call has already gone out to those who are getting the interview. They will also interview (10 interviews) in August some time (this lot won't be for active positions)

My experience has been great with them since they adjusted their points system towards the end of last year. Their focus now allows guys with limited command time but plenty of big jet/big company experience to interview.

Get in touch with them and they may be helpful in telling you where you're at and hat to do to improve.

horserun
11th Jun 2007, 23:31
Hey Hakaman2!
What exactly is "big company experience"?

distracted cockroach
12th Jun 2007, 05:49
AG is no longer involved in the recruitment process. There are several pilots who are, and NONE would welcome direct contact. Those days are apparently gone.
Good luck to all potential interviewees.
DC

horserun
12th Jun 2007, 09:12
What is AG????????????

distracted cockroach
12th Jun 2007, 11:23
Not what, but who. You're obviously new to this.:E

So is Grovell out of the recruiting scene these days. If he is still on the scene I would recommend liberal lashings of ass licking in order to secure said position

horserun
12th Jun 2007, 20:28
I know what you mean now...(nudge nudge wink wink)

Hakaman2
12th Jun 2007, 21:26
Horserun: By "Big Company Experience" I mean guys who have time flying for BA/Cathay on Big Jets etc. but haven't got a whole heap of command time on said aircraft.

kmagyoyo
12th Jun 2007, 22:47
By "Big Company Experience" I mean guys who have time flying for BA/Cathay on Big Jets etc. but haven't got a whole heap of command time on said aircraft.
If your trying to say you need Heavy jet time to get an interview then; BOLLOX Those hours would certainly make you VERY competitive but they're hardly the benchmark... its not like NZ is hiring DEFO's on the 777. :ugh:
There are PLENTY of LINK Co-pilots who have left for Big Bro in recent times so get those updates in.

fourfive
12th Jun 2007, 23:15
Agreed.
I got an interview a while ago with 4000 hours, all light a/c some turbine, little command. Had a degree but most of the others didnt. None from "big companies" with loads of jet time. Looking for all rounders i think. . Great experience and all the panel/instructors were awesome. I didn't get in but if grovell is who i think it is then pucker up cause he is still there
good luck.
fourfive

horserun
12th Jun 2007, 23:47
Nice one fourfive!
Hope they let you have another shot at it!

40 Below
14th Jun 2007, 00:41
Called them last week after having put in regular updates since Pontius was a copilot and never having heard a word back. Despite over 7000 TT and over 1200 heavy turboprop PIC was told that I would not be getting a call, due only to lack of a university degree.

They may get "down to my points level" when the 787 comes along but no guarantees.

Guess that degree in zoology is pretty relevant to sitting in the middle seat for 5 yrs or so...rant rant rant..

40 below

pakeha-boy
14th Jun 2007, 02:32
40 mate...check your PMS....buggered if I know how it works...have tried on many occasions... even tried to sweet-talk a few of the boys up the Northcoate last week(Macs gold was on me as well)....to no avail....

the only thing I,m picking is they have seen some of my pprune postings and have spit the dummy......Ive always been a good pakeha!!!:}

....well except for the stint in Mt eden,the two DUI,s.....:ooh:must be the moons on the footy trip....watched kumeu and cote(open grade) on sat...GO THE COTE!!!never threw any bottles....that has to qualify as good behaviour for sure......

Have sent several e-mails with no replys...if I get one it will probably go like this..

Dear Mr PB,
You are nothing but a pain in the arse!!! now go away you silly man.We know of your type,act nice in the interview,do well in the sim,answer all the questions,co-operate and graduate....and then after we hire you ....turn into the biggest pri#k weve ever known.Thanks but no thanks...and please have a nice day and say gidday to the boys in the cell next to you...

Sincerely....AirNZ mgt:{

...by the way..to the boys who flew me Wgtn- Nelson last week and let me ride "shotgun"...very professional,an excellent flight...great humour....and good luck in the negotiations...my offer stands,if your ever this way...shes on me..PB:ok:

CT7
14th Jun 2007, 11:46
So Air NZ is still waving that Uni Degree about huh. Damn!
Shame about those that knew what they wanted to do and did it as opposed to those who didnt and went to Uni to "find themselves" then take up flying. Took them all that time to figure out what we knew as infants. Oh well, it's their train set.
AG is well and truely out of that system.
That said, the guys on the recruiting team are all true professionals and I have a lot of respect for them. They also don't, I think, get to pick the initial selections either.

S2K, who said we would come back from the sandpit? It's nice here and Auntie Helen is not getting one cent of my hard earned $$$, plus how else am I supposed to help you get a jet job!

Ciao!

belowMDA
14th Jun 2007, 21:21
Not sure that this is going to make anyone feel any better but....

The current guy who looks after the interview system, C.K., has completely bastardised the old points system to fit his ideology. The points given for a degree were to help those who went to university and got a degree but ended up having fewer hours as a result than those that hadn't. ie it was to level the playing field so that you were not disadvantaged by going to uni. He has now spun this around so that you are advantaged by going to university, which is a little unfair to change the rules halfway through the game. They say that having international experience also contributes points but it seems not as many as a degree because I know of guys who are flying part 125 turbine command overseas who cannot get interviews with almost 10,000 hours yet people with half those hours and degrees are.
A word of advice, do not go moaning about all this to the person to whom you send your CV updates as I am pretty sure she is CKs wife!

At the end of the day we should be looking for good c***ts who can fly the plane well, get on with the team and not cause too much ****. Being one of these and having a degree are not mutually exclusive nor are they hand in hand.

So I say (not enough people listen to me though) we should have a healthy mix of the two, not just people from one camp.

As an aside, the people who are on the selection panel are not the ones who decide who gets an interview. They just test you and say yes or no.
Good luck to all the GCs out there.

Split Flap
14th Jun 2007, 21:54
BMDA,

Well said, my thoughts edsackery. The only hope that I can give people without degrees is that eventually they will run out of people with degrees and they will have to lower themselves to taking uneducated scum such as myself last time they got short.

40 Below
14th Jun 2007, 22:18
Ah well, will just have to continue to content myself with being uneducated pond scum while some whose fathers may be finance minister somehow get a job in my stead...sigh...hope when they get "down to my level" they can find me through the murk we bottom dwellers live in...

kmagyoyo
14th Jun 2007, 23:41
40 below...go figure. Dare I say it, if you were interested you would get an interview with a certain HKG outfit for the RHS in an A330 or 744F.

4 years pi$$in away a student loan getting an Arts degree might have given you the edge at the Koru thou' :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Uncle Chop Chop
15th Jun 2007, 00:20
I'm a f-ing GC I'd love an interview please

horserun
15th Jun 2007, 03:22
My little lady has a degree, she can hardly drive a f**king car, so I don't see why a person who studied art history should have any advantage.

Oh and 40 below.....your a GC:ok::ok::ok::ok:respect!

40 Below
16th Jun 2007, 01:06
KMAG, busy trying (unsucessfully thus far) to convince she who must be obeyed that herself looking after 3 kids under 4 yrs by herself is a good idea, while I "swan off" into the sunset every week...still keen though

...as for ANZ, am still looking for the matched pair of red and green socks that you have to wear on alternate feet on even numbered days while poking tongue out of mouth in approved fashion while skipping backwards on one foot in order to meet todays criteria to be offered an interview...

TopTup
16th Jun 2007, 02:30
From my neck of the woods I was told from a "reliable" source that ANZ were trying to outsource their abundance of 767 drivers on 6 -12 month contracts. Mainly looking to the sandpit for placements. Then I understand ANZ are short of other drivers for their fleet.
Why not train up a known performer from 767 to other instead of recruiting & starting trainng from scratch?
These sandpit carriers are interested, after all they get an experinced, established pilot. But when considering the $$ that are on demand they are thinking twice. Package (supposedly) involves their regular ANZ salary, plus extra due being a "contract pilot", plus extra for expat allowance, plus relocation, flights home for family, etc.....
Anyway, I'm not naiive to belive it all but if anyone closer to the truth knows it would be interesting.

distracted cockroach
16th Jun 2007, 03:41
They are short of 737 F/Os and long haul S/Os.....obviously not too many 767 F/Os (or Captains) interested in those particular positions, hence the new hires.Leave without pay has been offered and taken up by quite a few....not sure what the deals consisted of, but they are going to Emirates, Etihad and Kingfisher. My understanding is it is leave without pay, so I guess they get paid by the other airlines the same as their "normal" employees. Understand Air NZ assisted by negotiating with the airlines concerned, but not sure what sort of things passed under/accross the table.

pakeha-boy
16th Jun 2007, 21:43
Cockroach....good point,but I doubt any skullduggery on anybodys part in this one....prevailing wages and conditions for new entry amongst your major carriers are basically similar....and I believe if this occured it would have been cut and dry.....ie...these are the conditions...take it or leave it!!!....

Beggars cant be choosers,and since I have previous experince in this contract pilot bis......you are either all given the same or you individually get what you negotiate and most blokes dont/wont devuldge the info ...for reasons I see as obvious,but if stated we,d have to buy a weekends worth of piss just to get past the 1st chapter:ugh:

I have on my CV stated I,m iterested in the S/O #....its a personal thing,Ive pulled back and pushed fwd,left/right on the yoke/stick....more times than a bull can ****e/.....I,m past it,dont need any more of it and the time/hrs I have satify any position they have...so I,m directing my pheramones in that direction......the phero,s obviously stink....cause I havent heard a bloody thing all day

Sort of reminds me of the 727 days..all our Sanitation engineers were professional flight engineers PFE,s....that was the job.....I reckon thats what the /SO,s are..sanitation engineers...this pakeha would be good at that....plus that place I bought in pohara...by the beach...needs a little work.....

by the way ,,,...if the 737 f/o position comes up,no worries..Ive lifted gear for some of the worst ars#h&les on the planet.....40 mate...I,m with you on this one.....would love to be a fly on the wall when cullys sweetie does the sim thing.....Ill bite my tounge....PB

chief wiggum
19th Jun 2007, 13:26
Just out of interest, how does ANZ fare with pay and conditions ? IS it worth sticking a resmee in to them? can anyone point me to a link for their award, if there is one ?

thanks you

horserun
19th Jun 2007, 21:57
Air NZ has the best pay and conditions in NZ.

I know a few really good guys who are off to Jetconnect and PB. They were keen for Air NZ, but know/have been told they dont stand a chance as they dont have any tertiary study to their name. Air NZ loss.

pakeha-boy
20th Jun 2007, 21:32
Serena....well mate,I,m a Captain for USAirways A-321)...commute out of Auckland,born and breed in porirua

......whats wrong ....any w@#ker thats writes and tells somebody they are willing to take a pay cut just to get a job...doesnt desrve it...stay @ united,you blokes have a history of this thing.......personally I,d rather see a local get the job and one that stays the course rather than someone who is willing to work a side deal......what a feckin joke :yuk::ugh:

Speeds high
21st Jun 2007, 02:46
PB...

Well said

kmagyoyo
21st Jun 2007, 03:43
Calls for early August going out now...apparently.

turbolager
21st Jun 2007, 06:15
lads, before we bury him in sand up to his neck and commence the rock chucking - shall we first politely ask Serena to clarify his reference to "pay cut" and prevent any misunderstandings?

does he mean he will scab his way into AirNZ by bidding down their contract to get one over his colleagues? if so, I'm with the Pakeha, pass the rocks.

or does he simply want to tell them he has done his homework? He knows how the contract compares to other airlines, knows he will be interviewed as an S/O where he will remain for a while, and wants to tell them he is happy with the above in exchange for the opportunity to enjoy the NZ good life.

Well if so, best of luck to ya! and welcome to Aotearoa. You have fine taste in residence :}

the latter I hope!!

turbolager

chief wiggum
21st Jun 2007, 06:39
Calls for early August going out now...apparently.

whats that mean ? Interviews in early August ?

Cloud Cutter
21st Jun 2007, 06:46
I think it's the latter, but the fact that you're willing to accept the terms of employment (ie S/O at whatever rate) goes without saying when you apply.

serena

It's not that you're nessecerily doing anything wrong, just that there are plenty of people in exactly the same boat, many of whom are New Zealanders, and I'm sure you'll understand that the national airline would prefer to employ its countrymen first. Good luck all the same.

kmagyoyo
21st Jun 2007, 07:08
Seeing the threads titled 'Air NZ interviews' I thought that was implicit :E

Yes Air New Zealand Interviews happening 4-6 Aug (to be specific) :ok:

Cloud Cutter
21st Jun 2007, 08:04
serena

That all sounds fair. If you can't get a shot at Air NZ right away, would you consider applying to other NZ airlines? There's a big movement going on right now, and if you're prepaired to step back to commuter airlines for a while there should be plenty of oportunities. Or if you have a 737 rating, there's plenty happening on that front also.

PM me if you want details.

mattyj
21st Jun 2007, 09:15
Serena you may think that your Daughter is in danger there but she may well have her share of problems here too. For one, you will need to go private if you want your Daughter to get an education. In New Zealand, the education system actively encourages young people to be stupid and unproductive (unless you count teenage pregnancy as productive) and we may not have many guns in our schools but the young ladies are pretty handy with their fists!!

Otherwise you will be a welcome addition, since educated young people seem to be leaving here in their thousands.

pakeha-boy
21st Jun 2007, 10:50
Quote serena.....Believe it or not there are local NZers taking our jobs here too even though it's not a nicer place. And as foreigners they get priority hiring at United (lawsuit stuff.) ...

Absolute rubbish!!!!!.....nobody "takes"anybodys job.....everybody goes through the same process,and you are selected on merit.....except at united....their hiring practices for years have been a joke....

For the sake of this thread,I do not wish serana any ill-will,malice or any injustice.....but the picture this lady presents is so far out of whack,it defys the imagination.....to insinuate we are "Taking their jobs"....jeeeeeeeeeeeeezus...I,m about ready to chunder......

I resent the fact that you think I have taken your job...I havent taken anything.......you might want to read your own constitution little lady and think about your own values.....

I have to bite my tounge here before throw my computer out the window....what a crock :mad:

serena
21st Jun 2007, 13:12
Wow, angry man. I'm sorry, one little bit of bad wording... That is what I've said over and over - give and take! Read my message, not one bad piece of wording. Did you miss the part when I said I would write anyone a letter to help with the application process here? It's not taking our jobs, it's all about having the best crews in the air for the safety of our pax. I was responding to you saying you wanted a local at Air NZ, yet you are hypocritical working for an American airline. I was not going to respond to that, I figured your ignorance and obvious level of stupidity would just show through (as others have repsponded to me!) I'm not surprised you are working for an overseas carrier because why would Air NZ hire a non CRM/CLR crewmember like you? I would never want to be in your cockpit, you are a danger. You don't even act like a Kiwi. You are not nice. And you are way too angry to be a safe pilot. You definitely didn't take my job, you got hired long before I started flying, I'm sure. I apologize, but wow, you get too riled up. I can't imagine you handling an emergency. Throw your computer out the window?!! Now, come on.

I would like to have a little fun on this blog and get some help, can you please quit bashing me!

Roy Avison
21st Jun 2007, 15:06
Agreed. This guy is too angry to hold a medical and is certainly not a fit and proper person. I doubt Air NZ would be interested in such a w*nker.

pilotdude09
21st Jun 2007, 17:43
So basically the best way to get into NZ is to go to uni, get into several thousands of dollars debt and do your flight training while still being in debt for the next 10 years and then you might be in for a chance at NZ?:eek:

For airlines in the USA are degrees still prefered??

iceblock
21st Jun 2007, 20:21
Serena,

Do you hold a NZ Passport?

If the answer is no, this could be why you have not had a call.

Although this is not a mandatory requirement, it is certainly preferred.

mai mai
22nd Jun 2007, 01:35
Pakeha boy,
pull your head in dude. no need to throw anything. i think it's a little stupid the way you are getting up serena about her enquiry of ' why no interview at Air NZ" and i tend to agree with turbolager that" taking a pay cut and a s/o position" meant she was taking a backward step in pay/seating arrangment to come here??..maybe??...and wats wrong with her wanting to go to NZ anyway?????or even think about going to NZ.??????/jeeeeezzzzzzz:cool:
quote PB "personally I,d rather see a local get the job" :confused: Mate you are a kiwi(apparently) flying in the states and serena is from the states and wants to fly in NZ. You can say nothing wrong about what she wants to do so say nothing at all.............people in glass houses......pot calling the kettle.... need i go on.
anyway seeing as this is about air nz interviews and calls have gone out for august. I got one. No degree. Uni Entrance Education. 4500hours. Ex regional driver. Kiwi. 29. Male. Don't know anyone at Air NZ. 5'9". 88kgs. Never done time at mt eden....maybe that's what it is PB.
Good luck serena. We are not all as angry as the little fella. Gotta agree with iceblock about the passport deal and cloud cutter about other options in enzed.
god bless the chatham islands
maimai

kiwiblue
22nd Jun 2007, 02:47
Jayzus PB -chill out!!! Don't forget what it means to be a Kiwi. Behave like one!!! The lady merely asked a question

dmussen
22nd Jun 2007, 07:19
To all you NZ chaps,
A simple question should not attract such nationistic invective.
Having flown with Serena I can tell you all this is one lady who shall be an asset on any flight deck.
Pakeha-boy,
Go see your doctor and change your medication.

Victor B1a

flippersview
23rd Jun 2007, 00:19
Hello Serena,
Air NZ require you to be a 'resident' of NZ in order to be eligible for employment. I am happily flying for them so if you need advice, email me.
Good luck in any event, it is a great airline with a bright future. :ok:

On Guard
23rd Jun 2007, 00:54
Serena

Go to www.virginblue.com.au (http://www.virginblue.com.au) click about us and jobs. Then apply for domestic position.

You will get a job easily with VB having the type rating already. They are struggling to find sim time to train new pilots.

All the best.

Hakaman2
27th Jun 2007, 20:56
I must say that you're a complete idiot Pakeha. It doesn't surprise me either that you're not getting anywhere with ANZ.

Serena: you're the type of person NZ could do with. Bollocks about the education level too. Good luck to you.

Next interview round after August 4-6th is 24th-26th November.

Good luck to you all.

puma pants
17th Jul 2007, 23:20
Have an interview coming up. What help can anyone pass on. Yes I have a degree!!!

nike
18th Jul 2007, 01:23
nice handle.

little bill! little bill! little bill!

Ivan R Donn
18th Jul 2007, 08:52
Gidday Puma, obviously I'm new to the pprune thing so bear with me - I've got an interview coming up as well. If you can, PM or email me fella.
Cheers,
IRD

cribble
18th Jul 2007, 21:51
From the current CEA, the following are the entry-level pay rates (at 100% incentive pay):
First Officer Boeing 737-300, Second Officer Boeing 747-400, Second Officer Boeing 777200-ER and Second Officer Boeing 767
Year (NZD):
8 $89,968
7 $87,163
6 $84,357
5 $81,553
4 $78,747
3 $75,942
2 $73,138
1 $70,334
If you have ATPL subjects you begin at year 4 rates.

kmagyoyo
18th Jul 2007, 22:39
From the current CEA, the following are the entry-level pay rates (at 100% incentive pay)

Hey cribble, what do you mean by (at 100% incentive pay)? Those figures look like base pay which you then ADD incentive pay to.

belowMDA
18th Jul 2007, 23:02
To clarify what cribble has supplied:

You advance straight to 4th year pay AFTER completing one year of service AND having all ATPL subjects having been confirmed in your position (end of probation). You remain on 4th year pay until completing 4 years service and then you keep advancing up the scale as your years of service tick over.

The rates regarding incentive pay get quite a complicated explanation which I don't have the inclination nor time to reproduce here, however for arguments sake those are the minimum rates you will get paid. If you are a 737 pilot you start earning extra incentive for every hour over 55 hours. If you are on the other fleets you start earning extra incentive after 60 hours.

Is that any clearer? I am not so sure myself after all that.

kiwi chick
27th Jul 2007, 01:06
Well then, we'll bring some pretty girls over. And smart, educated ones too! We're tough. And cute.

for the record: there are smart, educated, tough and cute girls here already. You just need to know where to look.

nike
27th Jul 2007, 01:15
Can't be the beehive, surely?

The international arrivals hall?

kiwi chick
27th Jul 2007, 01:23
Hahaha! If I know you, you're in big trouble next time we meet, lol!

(I guess at the age of 35, "cute" is still a compliment? :eek:)

Because just "smart, educated & tough" would make me Helen Clark. ;)

On Guard
27th Jul 2007, 06:06
Getting back on track - so next interviews early Nov???

What hours are people getting in with.

What are my hopes 2200 tt, degree , ATPL.

Frustrating considering the opportunities in AU but I love NZ.

purplemonkydishwashr
27th Jul 2007, 11:46
I got in. CPL, 4000hrs, degree. They did mention 2500hrs is the magic number.
good luck

Ivan R Donn
28th Jul 2007, 00:16
OG, I'm assuming you have applied?

centurian
28th Jul 2007, 01:15
purplmonkeydishwasha

Any news of a start? Wont be on 400, either 777 or 76.

SkySurfin
28th Jul 2007, 02:33
I got the callup about a week ago for a start on the 777- sept 10. Im off the June interview........

On Guard
28th Jul 2007, 06:12
Ivan

Yes- but still have 1 ATPL to go which they know I am currently completing. Once I have that will endorse it straight away and put formal update in.

Once I get that do I have a shot?

I am hoping they are holding back due to my last ATPL not complete. Applied May.

PM's ok

Thanks
OG

ZKSUJ
6th Aug 2007, 05:35
This may sound like a stupid question to many, but how do they pick the direct entry 733 FOs as opposed to the 744/763/772 SOs? Is there another ranking system?

fly real fast
6th Aug 2007, 05:59
zksuj.... i assume it is the luck of the draw as to what plane you get a sstart on.. Am sure they'll try to give you your preference though. Good luck to the guys who sat over the weekend

fx82c
21st Aug 2007, 13:14
From a newbie,
What's the typical time people are waiting between applying to ANZ and hearing back from them? Do they always respond? If they interview in Nov, whats the best guess at a probable start date? early 2008?

Lo-Bank
11th Oct 2007, 04:27
Are ANZ still interviewing, or have they stopped for a while?

Split Flap
11th Oct 2007, 05:01
Interveiws this month apparently, Good Luck. Probably sorting out the Freedom situation before they are making too many plans.

Make sure you have your degree handy when filling out your application form, it makes all the diffence when applying for a 5 year back seat in a 777 or when its blowing 55kts in WLG when your trying to land a -300... Apparently...:sad:

Fragnasty
11th Oct 2007, 05:22
...at least it would come in useful for using "your" and "you're" correctly...

Choice bro!!

stillalbatross
11th Oct 2007, 05:27
If you're female you always used to get in with a third of everything. Ie a third of the hours, a third of the education etc. So hopefully they have the points system adjusted accordingly for females too, there are far too many guys in air NZ and the females and minorities really should make up the bulk of the next 5 or 10 years intake.

It makes sense, we all know it.

ZKSUJ
11th Oct 2007, 07:08
How many minorities in Air NZ flight crew at the moment? Are there quite a few?

No big deal about being minority or femakle I hope

stillalbatross
12th Oct 2007, 00:45
no big deal, it's just considerably easier to join, as it should be. That's all.

40 Below
12th Oct 2007, 20:02
Split flap - outstanding !

Do you think my Art History degree or my Zoology degree will be more relevant to my ability to do the job ? :ugh:

StillAlbatross - surely you jest ?

40 Below

haughtney1
12th Oct 2007, 23:38
Mayby my Bcom/BA will give me a much better understanding of the LRN requirements across the Pacific? :rolleyes:

horserun
12th Oct 2007, 23:59
Ok Stillalbatross I will bite!!

Why should it be easier to join if you are a minoritie??????

Anyway I think your just trying to wind a few of the boys up. So I am going to ask a real question.

I have heard conflicting ideas on Air NZs employment for 2008. Some say they will interview 100 people next year, some say none. Two extremes. Anyone have any ideas????

indigo duck
13th Oct 2007, 07:18
Interviews to be held at the end of Oct, beginning of Nov - depending upon successful outcome of the freedom offer. The numbers required will depend upon the number of vacancies left by freedom pilots.
This will possibly be the last interview for the year, so that the link carriers have some time for their pilots to gain experience in the left and right seat.
Interviews will recommence next year depending on the lead in delay for the 787 and the number of retirements throughout the year.

The training is always the bottle-neck, so it will depend on training slots as to which fleet type and how many.......

horserun
13th Oct 2007, 08:42
Cheers duck
I will see what happens next year then

pakeha-boy
13th Oct 2007, 18:42
Quote ......."there are far too many guys in air NZ and the females and minorities really should make up the bulk of the next 5 or 10 years intake.

It makes sense, we all know it."

I think I want to chunder:yuk::ugh:

insinuating that women and minorities should get an upper hand does this "so-called" group a dis-service..........it stinks of the yank system,and does nothing but alienate people,it has never worked successfully,and the remnants of Uniteds hiring policies (as an example) have never been proven to be a successful way to hire people

hire them for who they are and their merits.....smart HR people know the difference..and the qualities of individuals

Split Flap
13th Oct 2007, 20:20
40 Below,

I think a degree in Zoologogy or basket weaving or anything else has absolutly jack to do with flying an aircraft, but the people who decide who to give the interveiws to do, and thats all that matters. :{
5000h Regional turbprob captains have been told "You will not get an interveiw, untill you complete a degree". It's their company, and they may interveiw whoever they like, and have whatever hoops to jump through to get an interveiw. But they are missing out on a lot of GOOD people that all they have ever wanted to do is fly for their national airline, now saying screw it, i'm never going to get an interveiw as the goalpost's have changed, I will go and be a loyal employee for Air NZ's competion. Air NZ's loss.
I know the powers that be read these pages, and in particular this thread, and I hope that things may change, but I doubt it. I think it is really sad. :(

On Guard
13th Oct 2007, 21:34
So how much influence does the Freedom situation have on hires? Ie Are some Freedom guys going to move on? When does this happen?

Please enlighten me.

Thanks

40 Below
13th Oct 2007, 22:26
Split Flap

You are entirely correct in that it is their game and they can set the bar for interviews wherever they like.

I would have no problem if I had an interview and was turned down for any reason, such as not meeting the required standard in any area. I find it professionally disheartening however and entirely ideologically unsound that despite having reasonable experience and having survived some few sporting moments over the years, that I am unable to even get my name up for consideration due to the fact that I went out there and started doing it, rather than spending 3 or 4 years in an alcohol fuelled orgy of couch burning interspersed with the occasional lecture.

I know which type of pilot I would rather have up front when it all goes pearshaped.

Best of luck however to those that are able to sucessfully navigate the arbitrary process towards getting an interview.:bored:

40 Below

Cpt Link Hog
14th Oct 2007, 01:52
Have head Jet time/or a Degree ie Hip Hop studies,twilight golf or Film appreacinon dose carry similar 'points' with ANZ

About 30k for either way a Jet Rating or a Degree? 3years to complete a degree I'd say 3years on a jet most would be knocking on the door of a command with the LCC, ANZ S/O about 95k all up Cpt on a 73 or the like about 165K

Management at the LCC likes of PB, JC must be laughing all the way to the bank, ANZ are indirectly fuelling the compaction

This is a true sigh of a typical legacy carrier, like trying to turn the Queen marry, I think they need to be a lot faster on their feet Ugly new uniforms (not wear tested), no bickys,and ditching skilled enginering, did someone spike the coffee?
Companies like Virgin have NZ/the Pacific and Trans Pacific in their sights and there will be E-jet in NZ before to long and you can bet their new 777's will be swinging past NZ in the near future

But yes it is their Train set..well mostly government tax payers, and good luck to em

Split Flap
14th Oct 2007, 02:33
The Freedom situation is internal seat swaps so won't have much effect on new hires, however it may slow the training department down, so new hire courses might be little thin on the ground untill it all gets sorted.

40B

I couldn't agree with you more, it's their train set and they do as they see fit.

What I have a little difficulty with is the following disapointing scenario...
I have a friend who left school at 15 and drove trucks dawn till dusk to get enough money to take flying lessons, by 19 had had his CPL, no debt, and his first job, in his late twenties now with tons of experience, great guy, good pilot, ATPL, etc etc no student debt gets told by Air NZ that he will now not even get the chance to put forward his case in an interveiw because he didn't finish school 10 years ago.
He had 2 options, borrow money to get a type rating, or spend 3 years getting a degree in whatever, to get enough points for an interveiw, either way expensive. He got a type rating, works for Air NZ's competition now, and I doubt will update his CV with Air NZ.
I know he's not the only person in this scenario.

On the other hand you could get a student loan, burn couches, drink piss, get a degree in cut and paste, then get another student loan, learn to fly do a couple of years in GA and have the required points.

I know who id rather sit next to. But who cares what I think. :(

Plas Teek
14th Oct 2007, 07:48
Ya, this is the problem.

The previous case in point.
Someone who wanted to fly from day one, worked his butt off to get to their dream VS someone who had no idea of what to do, went to Uni 'cause thats what their friends did and then thought that this real world is too hard best I go flying!

What do you have to do to get through to these guys?

Surely some of the highly experienced chaps on the interview panel reading these posts can work something out?

Hrs + Exp VS nothing + degree ??

Or you could move to the Middle east so helen (lower case on purpose) doesn't get your $$$$

Sid Departure
14th Oct 2007, 10:07
Hey guy's.
Being on the inside looking out I can understand your frustration and annoyance at a process that seems illogical. I've been in your position and felt the very same feelings.
Yes some mates get rejected when "others" get accepted and some can not even get an interview.
As a line captain I think the selection guys get it right 99% of the time. The guys with degrees are bloody good pilots and great guys to sit next to, just like the guys described by Split Flap.
Don't get hung on this degree stuff, because it's only one of many qualifications that are looked at.

Good luck!

Sid

stillalbatross
14th Oct 2007, 11:29
So go out and get a degree. You can gets points awarded for atpls etc you can do it extramurially and part time. How many times over a nightstop have you p*ssed about looking on Trademe when you could have polished off that degree in 18 to 24 months.

It isn't difficult and the older you get the harder the study becomes, and you can get it underway by applying and getting credits and updating with air NZ telling them you're already well on the way through.

So may bleeding heart stories on here, what happened to the good old days when people rolled up their sleeves and got the job done.

Split Flap
14th Oct 2007, 19:20
Not saying that the guys that do make it thru are not good guys, and I think overall the selection chaps do a pretty good job. Just a little disapointing, that, with out a degree/schooling/extra qualification it seems that you are precluded from an interveiw no matter how much experience you have.

horserun
15th Oct 2007, 00:08
There must be more to this degree thing!!

I know of lots of people getting interviews without a degree, they usually have 3000 odd hours and a command on something beech sized, or are F/Os on a Dash or ATR.

Then there are boys and girls who have 5000 plus hours, also no degree, and air nz wont touch them.

There must be something else to this points system!!

Personally I think they just put your name in a hat, and then pull a few names out at random....:E

haughtney1
15th Oct 2007, 01:26
SID, I don't doubt for a second that the guys/girls who you fly the line with are generally a pretty competent and decent bunch...the Air NZ drivers I know, certainly match that description.
I think the key point is here that the percieved benefit of a degree/university education is misplaced and given undue weight as an indicator of a candidates aptitude; moreover, the system of pilot training in NZ is such that a degree is the exception, rather than the norm.
Given the opportunity if I were employing flightcrew, my main criteria would be, (other than the obvious motor skills and relevant experience) can I sit next to this person for 14hrs? and can I be reasonably confident that I wouldn't want to kill them by the end of it:)
Personally, the situation matters little to me, other than, feeling a sense of empathy for the frustration that many perfectly capable individuals must feel as they are effectively excluded due an arbritary and wholly meaningless (in a flightcrew environment) requirement.
Air NZ, and its recruitment policies are a mystery to many, and yet, pretty well understood for what they represent in terms of the Airline wishing to keep a certain level of prestige attached to gaining a position with the national carrier......ultimately however it comes down to supply and demand, so we will see how long the weighting lasts.

I have a WELL placed spy on the inside:E

Cloud Cutter
15th Oct 2007, 05:44
horserun

I've noticed that too. Sometimes this degree thing seems to be used an as excuse when what the company is really saying is, you're too old, but we can't say that because it's against the law. Or for some other reason, they don't like someone, but rather than telling them the real reason, along comes the old degree requirement.

Who knows what really goes on behind the scenes, but the simple fact is there are not enough suitably qualified and experienced pilots with degrees to fill all Air NZs slots in the long term, so there will be plenty without them that get interviews.

pakeha-boy
15th Oct 2007, 18:14
clouds quote......"so there will be plenty without them that get interviews"

....and cloud....you would and are correct!!!!;)

On Guard
24th Oct 2007, 03:42
So has anyone had the call for the proposed Nov 2 interviews or are these delayed?

Sqwark2000
24th Oct 2007, 04:19
On Guard,

I know of at least 1 Eagle skipper who has a Nov interview with AirNZ. Not sure of actual date but it is in Nov.

Not sure if it would Nov 2, as that would make it back-to-back interviews for the panel (next interview group attending this coming weekend)

S2K

On Guard
24th Oct 2007, 05:09
Thanks sqwark, check your PM's

OG

Got the horn
24th Oct 2007, 05:10
I know a couple of Metro drivers (one F/O and one Capt) with interviews early November, both degreeless

Humber10
24th Oct 2007, 13:35
Heaps more jobs than ANZ out there.... EVA, CX, QF and loads more around Asia where you wont have to pay for a rating! FYI, I was accepted into ANZ without a degree, so I dont know what the deal is there..... :ugh: look further than NZ, dont buy your job and save some bucks for beers! Good luck!

Rightfrontwheel
25th Oct 2007, 03:11
Can you buy type ratings in Air NZ or iss that what Freedom Air is for? Is it true that if you buy a rating with Freedom you can get into Air NZ through the 'backdoor'? Do you need the same requirements?

Cheers

UrlocalAZn
25th Oct 2007, 03:23
Ay? When did you ever have to pay for a rating at ANZ?

CT7
25th Oct 2007, 04:00
Last I heard you still dont.
O'seas is fine if youre single and youngish.
Bit harder if youre established in NZ.

And I thought that under the NZ labour laws a company has to tell you the reason that you failed, if asked.......

pakeha-boy
25th Oct 2007, 06:37
last I heard.......I,m history......BUGGER!!!!:ouch:

Sqwark2000
25th Oct 2007, 20:39
Rightfrontwheel,

the path of buying a type-rating for freedom and then getting into AirNZ is long closed. Freedom and AirNZ A320 drivers were merged a year or two ago into Zeal320, the operating company for AirNZ's airbus fleet. Now all pilots are taken from internal transfers from AirNZ's main fleet group.

You cannot be employed direct by Freedom anymore, and you cannot enter direct onto the A320 with Air NZ, all new entrants are either Longhual S/O's or B733 F/O's.

PS "Freedom" as a AirNZ LCC brand is to disappear early 2008 and all trans-tasman flights are to be AirNZ flights, as well as dropping a few unprofitable Freedom routes like Palmy - OZ and maybe Dunners to OZ.

S2K

Rightfrontwheel
26th Oct 2007, 10:04
Thanks Sqwauk 2000. So would i get into Air nz if I had a type rating on one of their planes? Ie 320, 321, 767, 747, 777. Sorry,,,, would I be given preferential treatment if I got a rating? Would it be better to get a rating within Air NZ? Do they mind where I got it? What are the average hours entrants have when entering ANZ?

How long would it be to a commnd on a wide boy? Am I better to go to Emirates or Cathay for time to command? Pay? Conditions?

Is it true you are a S/o for about 8 years before upgrade? Seemss a long time...

Cheers

Pamelah Andersen
27th Oct 2007, 04:42
Rightfront.

Answers are no, no, no, variable (usually 3000+) - depends what you've logged it in.

15-25 Years, yes.

Pay is less than EK and Cx. Conditions middle of the road.

Time to upgrade will depend on where the industry heads in the coming years - as always. Approaching Credit Crunch may take gloss of things shortly but will be balanced by large number nearing retirement.

Its a matter of weighing up the benefits, $, lifestyle, living in NZ or Sandpit/Smogpit. With the amount of recruiting at present for most major carriers - take your pick.

:ok:

Sqwark2000
1st Nov 2007, 03:32
Heard that all the interviewees for last weekend's interview did not have a tertiary education between them.... Highest qual was NZ 7th Form (Bursary or Higher School Cert, pre-NCEA I guess)

Another round this weekend....

Good luck to all

S2K

On Guard
1st Nov 2007, 04:47
Any idea what sort of hours were invited?

Rightfrontwheel
3rd Nov 2007, 06:08
Thanks Pamelah,

Does anyone know how many more interviews are going to be carried out before 2008?

Cheers