PDA

View Full Version : Military V's Civilian?

afterburner2
14th Apr 2007, 19:30
Hey all, this is my first post. I was recently accepted to join the Navy as a pilot. I have just also got enough money together to do my commercial training. My question is; what is the day to day life of a naval pilot like? Are they seperated from their wives alot? In hindsite would the naval pilot's have gone down the commercial route?
Thanks for any help.

mike172
14th Apr 2007, 19:42
I don't fly for either so i'm in no position to say really.

If I were given the choice I would jump at the chance to fly Military hardware over the commercial stuff. I also imagine that it is much tougher to become a Navy/RAF pilot than it is to become a commercial pilot.

One other thing. If you choose the Navy you can always go commercial later on in life. However, you couldn't do things the other way round.

Ali Barber
14th Apr 2007, 20:04
What Deliverance said! We may gripe (a lot) about life in the military, but when all is said and done, I'm glad I chose the military line. We are different, have done different things and had wider ranging experiences than those who went solely down the civil route. You don't see many topics about "do you remember" from the civil world. But Navy? Do you have no self respect..............

Only joking, any military will do. Once you've joined, you're part of a different class of flier!

Lomon
14th Apr 2007, 20:08
Do you think you can hold a gun?

Do you think you could pull a trigger and end someones life?

Could you drop a bomb on a target knowing that if you get it wrong you coul kill innocent men, women and children?

Are you willing to go to the middle east and possibly be taken as a prisoner of war?

Do you like being shot at by mad camel jockeys?

Are you willing to leave your family and friends for months at a time?

If you can answer yes to all those questions then you MIGHT be suitable for a career in the armed forces.

If you want nice hotels, duty frees, hot and cold running trolley dollys, and your own bed at least twice a week then go civvy.

Winch-control
14th Apr 2007, 20:20
You appear in the unique position to choose. If you dont choose mil, then you will miss out on the unique chance to paricipate in a challenging environment, the likes of which you wont see in the civilian world.
If you are happy to be judged on your abilities by the rest of your crew and can accept the constructive critiscm offered then go for it. If you you feel you cant live with the banter of your last bad landing, then go civ!

Mach the Knife
14th Apr 2007, 20:44
:ok: Of course, if you were any good the only person bantering you about your last landing would be you!

samuraimatt
14th Apr 2007, 21:23
what is the day to day life of a naval pilot like?

So you reckon you have been accepted as a Naval Aviator and you are only just now asking what is like to be a Naval Officer and Pilot? Hmmmmmmmmmm:hmm:

airborne_artist
14th Apr 2007, 21:49
You won't see much of a wife for at least two years from the day you join, and you'll see her sporadically for at least four years after that. Being married as you join will put you very much in the minority, and life will be very much geared towards guys who are relatively unattached. In many ways it's far tougher for wives than for the guys - you will be very busy 24/7 - they won't be, and will resent the fun you have without them.

If you don't know what's involved I wonder how you got this far, but it's right to ask now. You can't really compare it to life as a low-hours FO in the RHS. Most of the RN's aircraft are now single pilot, for a start.

I'd say bank the cash, and go Dark Blue.

OilCan
15th Apr 2007, 02:58
afterburner2

they work in ships - bit like the QEII but smaller
they live in bunks - bit like a cabin but smaller
they fly 'aewoplanes' - bit like a jumbo-jet but smaller
they get 'alluyances' - bit like a 'wodge' but smaller
the wife lives in a quarter - bit like a house but smaller, and it's onshore!
and they sail off to that place where the Buckie fishing boats go, except it might be a bit warmer - and for a bit longer. :\

They might work 9 til 5 - thats September til May
re-read last years collection of 'The Sun' - over and over again - til 7
dine in the wardrobe, sing at 'toophers' and play 'wugby' til 11
jump into somebody elses bed at bedtime, and 'wite' letters to wifeys, anybodys wifey.

They have 'bwekfast' and are 'weddy' for work by 8 bells, 'bweef' till 8.30 and take off again at 9.
They 'fwy awound and awound' in circles till 'lonch', offering joy rides to the girlies and taking in the spectacular sights of the sea and - err.. more sea.
In the afternoon they might load up with a few 'bewits and bombs' and blow the cr*p out of - err.. the sea, and if any bad boys approach they'll do a 'wunner' to mother, unless they fancy trying to sell a few 'heewo' stories to the 'pwess' for a few bob. :=

That's about it 'weely'. - All jolly good fun, far better than having to look after a bunch of obnoxious holiday makers and worrying about arriving on time.

Oh, I nearly forgot, your wife could join up and go to sea aswell, but not on the same ship, and if you have kids - not at the same time. So you could have 6 months at home every year, unfortunately, she won't be there. :*

There is good news however, she might get alot more 'dosh' for her 'heewo' stories. :E

MadAxeMan
15th Apr 2007, 04:04
AB2,
The main thing that you should know about 'making it' in Military flying: you either need lots of ability or lots of dedication, and ideally both.

From your question about your choice, you have to be sure that you have enough of the latter?

The UK mil is going through a lot of changes at the moment, and has a lot of commitments too. Thus, you are going to need 100% dedication and absolute conviction to make it a full career.

While I am about the hop from one to the other, and even though I can no longer tolerate what is happening to the UK military, if I have the make that same choice again, I would still join the Mil.

(>|<)

L J R
15th Apr 2007, 05:28
Afterburner, do you think you should have known the answers to those questions BEFORE you were accepted in the Navy??

Cmn2644
15th Apr 2007, 15:26
I agree with the above ... GO MIL. The lifestyle and comradary is second to none. Yes there are politics and moaning but that is everywhere - I have mates with BA who say it is worse. Good luck !

BurglarsDog
16th Apr 2007, 10:17
Married eh?
You are already a prisoner of circumstance.
What you want to do and what you probably will do are poles apart.
Sorry but youve missed the boat in my experience / opinion.
Flying training is a long arduos self indulgent process and thats without the posssibility of actually going to war and the need to hit the MI or whatever to get home on the odd friday night!!
In my day the nearest we got to combat was hand to hand fighting in the OM bar after last orders were called - and in Germany, in those days, that was a very very inetresting experience.
A married mate of mine was a great success during the basic fast jet courses yet nearing the end of a very succeessful Valley course walked in and pulled the plug! We were all shocked. Reason - He had "family - Computer (Wife) says No!! ". 20 years later he is quite happy flying his own plane living on acreage up North with non of the bitterness and anxieties displayed within these forums from our friends in uniform. Times have changed and the good times have I feel gone. Go Civil and have a life!!
Mind you what price 420 at 250?
Even Branson cant do that Can he??
Rgds Bd

Lara crofts pants
16th Apr 2007, 10:33
Having completed my 16 years in the RAF I am now a civvy airline pilot. My advice is fly military first if you have the opportunity. There's plenty of time for the the boring stuff when you get to my age!