PDA

View Full Version : My JQ interview experience.

Mother & Country
14th Apr 2007, 02:58
Well after a long and thoroughly enjoyable GA career I am proud to say that I have recently been accepted into Jetstar. I was fortunate to have a number of people help me through the interview process so I thought i would post my experiences here in the hope that it may benefit the countless others guys and gals who will be called up for an interview in the near future.

Before I begin i would like to make 2 points:-

1. I realise that similar threads have been posted in the past however this information is based on recent experiences and hopefully can be added to by others in a similar situation to myself.

2. If you are the sought of person who has a negative attitude toward JQ, please take your comments elsewhere. I am intending this to be a positive thread to benefit anyone who may be interested..:hmm:

OK, lets get started.

Psychometric testing.

I realise this aspect holds fears for some people but it is quiet manageable if you put in the preparation. The test consists of six sections, Verbal reasoning, Numerical reasoning, Diagrammatic reasoning, Spatial reasoning, a motivation questionaire and a personality questionaire. The QANTAS website has a practise leaflet on their website which gives basic examples of all these tests.

JQ do not use the coordination or instrument interpretation tests which are used by other members of the QANTAS group.

In the verbal reasoning test you will be given a paragraph to read then given a series of statements. You must say whether these statements are 'true' or 'false' or you 'cannot say' based only on the information provided in the paragraph. Do not make assumptions, we all know apples grow on trees but if this is not clearly stated in the paragraph then you must answer 'cannot say'.

The numerical tests are of a similar format. You will be shown a table or graph and you must work answers based on the information provided. For example, a graph may show the number of apples produced by 3 farms over a one year period, (3 seperate lines on the one graph).The questions will be something like, which two farms produced 5230 aplles combined in the month of June or which farm produced twice as many apples in December as it did in May. If math is not your strong point i suggest you google these type of problems and work through as many as you can.

There are two forms of Diagrammatic questions. You will only be asked one type in your test. The practise leaflet on the QF website gives examples of both types. The test is designed to get harder as you progress so be thorough and dont get stuck on a single question for to long.

Spatial reasoning consists of the infamous cubes. These get very hard toward the end but there are a few simple tricks to make them easier. Unfortunately these are a bit hard to explain without diagrams. Google these tests and you will find plenty of information.

It is worth noting that all these tests are designed to be almost impossible to complete. The best approach is not to rush or guess. The examiners have a ball park figure of how much they expect to be completed. (I believe 70-80%) They want to see that you can work under pressure without panicking or making rash decisions.

The motivation and personality questionaire is untimed. The best approach is to answer honestly. These tests are structured to catch out people who lie by asking the same question many times with different wording. This becomes obvious as you work through the test. Given that there is around 140 questions you will not be able to remember which answer you have given for every question.. Remember, this is a test of your personality. If you are a reasonably normal, level headed person you will be ok here. Treat it as a bit of fun to finish off the day without taking taking the test, or yourself to seriously.

I did the PATS course a while back when it only cost 250 odd dollars, I found it to be extremly beneficial and would recommend it strongly. The only catch is that the course now costs 2 or 3000 dollars. Alot of money but probably well worth it if you feel nervous about psych tests. I believe there is also someone in Sydney who does this sought of training. Maybe someone could post details here.

Panel Interview.

This is a behavioural interview, meaning they want to see how you have dealt with situations which have occured during your career rather than how you think you would deal with situations in the future. Google 'behavioural interview questions' and you will find an unlimited number of good questions. Work through as many as you can, even if you think they will not relate to your interview. Try to dig up situations from your past. I found most of the questions were looking at your ability to communicate and deal with other peolpe, both in positive and negative situations. I think they are looking for your ability to fit into a team environment. Also remember that admitting you have been wrong can be a good thing as it shows you are genuine.

You will also be asked a few Questions about yourself, tell us how you got to where you are, why do you want to work for JQ, what plans do you have for the future, that kind of thing.

I have not heard of anyone being asked technical questions, however I made sure I was up to speed on the ATC and Terminal sections of the Jepp's as well as the aeroplane I am presently flying.

I found the people on the panel to be very friendly, they make every effort to relax you and get to know you as a person.

Flight planning exam.

I was told before that I would not be able to prepare for this section and on the surface that is correct. I do however believe that if you are able to find any tips or practise problem solving scenarios they would be beneficial.

The scenario is as follows. You takeoff from a particular airport and realise that your gear wont come up. You have to make a series of choices in order to get the aircraft through its full days flying with the minimum delay. You will be given all the neccesary figures such as fuel burn (gear up and gear dn) time intervals turn around time etc. All numbers are round figures so the math will not be a problem. You are told to fly everywhere with min fuel. Each airport has restrictions on it, some do not have fuel available, some do not have repair facilities available, one has the runway closed for a long period of the day. I believe the scenario can be set in a variety of places around the world. The location is inconsequential as no knowledge of the area is neccessary.

You will be asked to show 3 different scenarios to prove you did not make a lucky guess. This is ok because chances are you will work your way to a few dead ends before finding the right result.

As with the psych testing, this is designed to test your problem solving skills under pressure. Work quickly and accurately but do not allow yourself to panic or rush.

Sim ride.

If nothing else, the sim ride was alot of fun. Especially for someone who hasnt flown anything bigger than a B1900. It is conducted in a 74 Classic with all engines operating, no wind and no turbulence. I have heard of people doing practise rides before their test date. This is a good idea if you are not used to sim flying. QANTAS do practise sim sessions as do the Ansett sim centre and Alteon (though neither of these have a 74 sim. If you could fly a 76 or something similar im sure it would be more help than distraction.)

Before the day of your sim ride you will be sent an information sheet which gives speeds, power settings and pitch angles for the various aspects of the flight. The aircraft is flown with 20 degrees flap and the max spped you will do is 180 knots so it is manageable for somenone coming from GA. If, like me, you are unfimiliar with the ML terminal area it would be wise to study up on the plates before your test.

The test itself goes something like this- Takeoff from RWY 16 at ML. climb to 4000 at 160 knots. After levelling off you will make a left turn onto a heading given by the instructor and climb to 6000. Next comes steep turns, then you will be asked to intercept a bearing of 360 in to EPP locator, once outbound you will track 330 and descend to 4000 at 180 knots using idle thrust then track to BOL locator and do a sector entry for the 16 NDB approach. From the minima on the approach you will go around and receive vectors back for the 16 ILS.

The best way to prepare if cannot do a sim ride is to ensure your IF scan is up to speed. Try hand flying intsead of using the the autopilot or take a run in the sim at a local flying school. I found this helped me immensely as i am very fond of my autopilot. :}

Well this has been a marathon post and I apologise if I have bored anyone. :zzz: Hopefully this info is helpful to future applicants.

If anyone would like to add to this or correct any mistakes I have made, please feel free. Also if you have any questions you are more than welcome to post them here or PM me if you would prefer.

Good luck,

Mother & Country. :ok:

powersfasher
15th Apr 2007, 10:54
M & C
Thanks for your post, just the type of info I needed.
Any other constructive posts would be appricated.

BuzzBox
15th Apr 2007, 12:19
Oh dear...:ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

The Professor
15th Apr 2007, 12:25
"Well Mr Mother and Country I can say that as ex-QF, now forced to work in a 3rd world $hithole courtesy of you and your mates"

Mr Mathers, grow up and show some accountability for your actions. The only person responsible for your circumstances are . . . Mr Mathers.

Blaming others for your poor career choices may be theraputic but achieves very little.

Thumbs up
15th Apr 2007, 12:26
Nice wind up Mathers.
M&C, a great positive post.
I look forward to flying with you.
Thumbs.

pilotdude09
15th Apr 2007, 13:26
M&C Well done :ok:

How many GA hours etc did you have?

Did you have your ATPL or just CPL?

Cheers and Congrats :)

dodgybrothers
15th Apr 2007, 14:04
yep forced just like the many of your QF counterparts that have jumped and now getting in the left seat. .......and stay out

neville_nobody
15th Apr 2007, 14:30
It is worth noting that all these tests are designed to be almost impossible to complete.

Disagree. If you do some practice beforehand you should finish the cubes, the verbal reasoning and the sequences. Data interpretation probably not, but you should get close. It's about speed AND accuracy.

Condition lever
15th Apr 2007, 22:24
Mathers

Australian aviation is well rid of you.
I am surprised you could find another airline to take you after you must have managed to slip into QF by a back door - I guess there really is a pilot shortage out there!

Much Ado
15th Apr 2007, 23:08
Mathers is having a week off....to come to grips with life's realities and his choices.:ugh:

Mud Skipper
15th Apr 2007, 23:21
M&C nice first post but why does it read more like a paid advert?:yuk:

Could it be J* are now having soo much trouble recruiting they have begun spoon feeding their applicants.
Heck why not just send out the questions and quiz prior to the interview or just ask for a bank balance and be done with it and cut any pretence!

Not defending the Q selection process by any way, we all know lost of good drivers who missed out while others fist fight in Pubs and on tarmacs.:}

neville_nobody
16th Apr 2007, 04:30
Guys settle down! :}

It's funny that when someone posts JQ interview information here everyone arcs up! Yet when a few years ago someone did a similar thing basically spelling out the QF process to all and sundry people were so grateful and had numerous pages of comments and tips. :hmm:

No I don't work for Jetstar!

cunninglinguist
16th Apr 2007, 06:11
Sorry Nev, disagree with your disagree.
Alot of people, myself included, did'nt come close to finishing the tests ( I reckon I averaged around 70-75% )
I got through, my guess is accuracy is more important than speed ( to a point ) if you got through everything, good on ya.

Transition Layer
16th Apr 2007, 12:15
cunninglinguist,

Alot of people, myself included, did'nt come close to finishing the tests ( I reckon I averaged around 70-75% )
I got through, my guess is accuracy is more important than speed ( to a point ) if you got through everything, good on ya.

Well my guess is that you don't really need to score all that well to get through! After all, Jetstar has been known to offer interviews to those that failed the QF testing, even to people who never applied to them! :hmm:

ABX
16th Apr 2007, 13:18
A very interesting & informative thread. Thanks to all who made a positive contribution.

Cheers,

ABX

Boomerang
16th Apr 2007, 20:06
M&C maybe you could post the handout for the power settings etc they gave you? Give the unsuspecting a little more than a day or so to memorize/practice.

With the cubes I used a bit of patter recognition (ie the point of the isosceles triangle (on one face) points to (depiction on other face) and try to recognise those easy ones first then work from there. Mind you this was a looong time ago. Good luck!

aircabbie
17th Apr 2007, 09:10
Fantastic insight into the whole Process MC thanks mate bloody good read . Just a shame so many :mad: wits are on this PPrune . Easy to see who made it and who did'nt , by the way thay slander ect ect ...

Let me know how ya get on MC and congradulations on J*

Regards
cabbie

position & hold
18th Apr 2007, 04:40
Congrats M & C on your achievement! :ok:

Are you on the August intake for the A330???

I did my sim in the B767, same exercise as described already, they are looking to see how quickly you get used to the aircraft handling. Basically you just need to know the numbers they give you and keep up the scan rate. As for power in the turns, i looked at the airspeed trend vector and made small thrust adjustments accordingly (it is a long way to look from your basic scan to look at the N1's), also, be aware that as the throttles are further away from you you can get a bit of assymetric thrust while manipulating them.
If you don't fly an aircraft with EADI or a stabilizer i suggest doing a lot of work on your PC flight sim. I used FS2004 and a realistic 767 downloaded off the net, do not worry too much if the following numbers do not work on the sim, just get used to the trim, EFIS and inertia. As previously mentioned, study the ML charts carefully and practice them as often as you can,

Flaps: 15 degrees except T/O and landing

Flight Sequence: Thrust (N1): Attitude: Speed:

T/O + Initial Climb 87% (Stop bar) 14deg Vr 120
Climb 140

Cruise 62% 1.5 deg 180
58% 3.0 deg 160
62% 5.5 deg 140

Steep turns 70% 3.0 deg 180

Final Approach 58% 2.5 deg 125
(gear/Flap 30)

Provided you are well prepared it will be more fun than anything you have ever done before, i was kind of disappointed when it was all over.

Best of luck to all of those who will be doing the testing over the next few months :ok:

P&H

BOK_
18th Apr 2007, 05:41
M&C - Fantastic post mate - really enjoyed that.

Just out of curiosity - what are JQ charging for your endorsement?

Can you subsidise this from your income at all?

BOK

:ok:

cunninglinguist
18th Apr 2007, 06:06
BOK, JQ don't charge you anything.................Alteon however want 33.5K the last time I checked ( 320 ), a 330 endo would'nt be any cheaper you would think.

No, you can't salary sacrifice it :(

TL, whatever you reckon champ

psycho joe
18th Apr 2007, 06:31
BOK, JQ don't charge you anything.................Alteon however want 33.5K the last time I checked ( 320 ), a 330 endo would'nt be any cheaper you would think.

I thought Alteon was a Boeing company. Are they doing Airbus training as well?

Condition lever
18th Apr 2007, 07:34
Yeah.... and not doing it very well either!

The 330 endorsement should be about $28K and is done by QF

No1Dear
18th Apr 2007, 09:22
Congratulations and thanks for the post

Mother & Country
24th Apr 2007, 00:50
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Im dissapointed i didnt get to see Mr Mathers' post. Was it bagging me or the company?

To answer a few questions, No this is not a paid advert although i would guess that, like alot of other oz companies, JQ will have to lower their actual minimums over the next couple of years if they want to keep their pilot numbers growing. This is a reflection on the current number of pilots training at the moment rather than the company itself.

I had about 4000 hours with a reasonable amount of multi command and turbine time when i got the phone call.This seems to close to the bottom end for call ups at the moment.

Position & Hold- Check your PM's.

Anyone else with good info please speak up.

Cheers,

M & C.

metrosmoker
24th Apr 2007, 01:59
4000 hours close to the bottom end. Give me a break. I know guys getting in with 3000 and less. And if you only have two legs, then it can be anything. I can not see any logic in the way they select pilots for stage 1-2 -3 etc.
Lowering their minimums they will not have to do. There is and always will be an over supply of pilots in this country. All that will happen is instead of flying around the bush for a year or two then getting a gig on a twin with 1500hours, you will get it with 500 hours. Things will get better in GA.
Lastly the post is a good insight. However from reading the Qantas posts, it seem the process is almost identical. $30k outlay for a $30k increase in salary in your first year is not that bad an investment. By the second year you are ahead. Sign of the times!

Keg
24th Apr 2007, 04:27
I think your maths needs checking metro.

$30k outlay for a $30k increase in salary in your first year...

'Increase in salary'? Compared to what? Being in GA?

What if you said 'no' to the $30K up front and so did every other wannabe? Then you'd have $30K in the hand, J* would still need pilots and would still recruit, the pilots would still be paid a pittance but it'd be $30K better off on day one. Keep in mind that the $30K that you fork out at the beginning of your career is worth about $300K in thirty years time.

Companies making crew pay for endorsements and dogs licking themselves occur for the same reason.....because they can. A dog is just a dumb animal. I guess that means so are most pilots! :(

G Cantstandya
24th Apr 2007, 04:48
Keg you are dreaming!!!
What you say is correct, BUT, while pilots in this country have a chance to get away from the dregs that is GA, and the crap money regionals pay they will continue to pay for endorsments.....
If you think that every non jet pilot is going to sit on their hands and wait until no fee is charged you are kidding yourself!!!
It won't happen until a lot of planes are parked and flights cancelled..
Even then i doubt it!
Guys could be waiting years for this, meaning loss of cash, super and jet experience!!
I do agree with you keg but these are the facts, like it or not!!:ugh:

KRUSTY 34
24th Apr 2007, 05:12
metrosmoker,

What have you been smoking?

Keg,

the analogy to the dog is priceless. Time of course will tell, and I don't think we have long to wait.

Capt Basil Brush
24th Apr 2007, 05:40
Keg, I agree with your reasoning - it's spot on.

Just 2 questions for you;

1. How long did you spend in GA?

2. If you were still in GA now (ie missed out on QF), would you refuse to pay for a job at J*, VB, QFlink etc to escape GA?

Mathers
24th Apr 2007, 06:05
Having had a week to (as woomera put it) "think about the choices I have made" I realise now that to post anything that is in anyway critical of 'the new breed' of Australian pilots flying for LCC's in unfair, rude and vexatious.

I therefore whole heartedly apologies to all those I offended in JQ.

Clearly, 'high cost' pilots such as myself are a regrettable throwback to the past and it is only fair and right that market forces are showing us the door out of the australian aviation scene at an ever increasing rate. I am just grateful I found a well paying job elsewhere overseas.

I disagree with Keg, by all means we should be made to pay for endorsements and work for reduced conditions. It is after all how things are done now, and as the mods have clearly pointed out to me people like me who have had their career paths stopped are the ones with the bad attitude and problems - not those taking the jobs.

Good luck to you M & C you are obviously a great bloke and have done very well to get into JQ. For my own case I just hope that one day I will be able to make it back to Australia and afford a little caravan somewhere near the coast and an RSL so I can enjoy a few middies or so in my (underserved) retirement.

Once again, I apologies to you all for my disgraceful conduct and I can assure the mods I will never attack JQ ever again

Mathers

desmotronic
24th Apr 2007, 08:00
This thread is about J* recruitment processes as per the initial post. Irrelevant whining from current and ex mainline FOs should be taken elsewhere. By all means start your own thread.

Right back to the topic and good work M&C.

Transition Layer
24th Apr 2007, 08:12
I give up on you blokes, just keep selling yourselves short, that's the Jetstar way!

metrosmoker
24th Apr 2007, 09:04
Okay Keg and Krusty.
WHat is the answer?
DO I sit on my hands for the next few years whilst I watch underqualified, incompetent and less experienced pilots take a job, so I can take the moral high ground and continue flying GA, and then jump on this forum and bitch and whinge about my lot in life?
Who gives a sh!t if 30k is worth 300k in thirty years time when I been getting probably half what my earning potential is with an operator even though I have to pay for the endorsement.
$38k for a titan driver V $68k for a A320 F/o, yep that still looks like 30k to me.
I suppose you are right though. Cause when is all said and done in 10 years time, the huge pilot shortage is not getting any better, pilot salaries are once again approaching pre 9-11 days, atleast I can sit at the holding point in my Titan as I watch some stupid schmuck who payed for his rating, take off in an A320 earning 2-3 times what I am and say, "YEP ATLEAST I DIDN`T PAY FOR MY ENDORSEMENT!"
Wake up to yourselves. If you look at any of my posts I have never said that I agree with paying for TR`s but it is the way it is at the moment.

Mathers
24th Apr 2007, 09:33
Metro Smoker.

You are right except for the small but very salient point that the pilot shortage will never eventuae.

Two reasons:

1. MPL - designed to produce someone who can 'pull the gear and flaps' but little else. An underclass who no doubt will feel vindicated when they are able to "do a deal" with the company to get them qualified for an ATPL at employer expense. This deal will involve undercutting the incumbent guys but will be "morally justifyable" using the rationale expressed above.

2. Standards - there simply wont be any. Before I left Australia a senior manager told me that they were prepared to lose an airframe rather than 'give in to the pilots' QED they simply dont care. If those that remain in australia get too fractious they will (and I quote) "bring in pakkis, russians, chinese whoever we can get"

As far as starting a new thread - why should we ??. Arnt we all part of the one happy family ???

Once again congratulations to all the new JQ guys !!!!!

KRUSTY 34
24th Apr 2007, 09:40
metrosmoker,

sorry about the offence.

I shot from the hip over the comment that there will always be an over supply of pilots in this country. Once upon a time of course, and not that long ago, I would have agreed with you.

I know how you feel, I spent 9 years in GA. I've paid for my share of endorsements, all GA twin, but by this stage of the game feel that I've spent enough. That however is a choice that I made. I do not advocate anyone passing up an opportunity to further their career, whether they need to pay for their endorsement or not.

My advice is do what is right for you, God knows no-one else will. Hopefully we will all be suprised at what's comming up.

KRUSTY 34
24th Apr 2007, 09:49
Mathers,

welcome back.

I've posed this question about the MPL before; How is it any different than putting a basic, endorsed ME IFR CPL into the right seat of any aircraft you like? As far as I know, there has been nothing stopping any operator from doing this.

Secondly, Reducing mins are one thing, but it would come to a point where the insurance premiums would probably outstrip revenue!

As for the comments of that senior manager, I have met quite a few hard cases, but that guy sounds like he belongs in a padded cell.

Mathers
24th Apr 2007, 10:45
Krusty.

Sorry to hijack the thread but with MPL the devil is in the detail.

In essence an MPL wil be considerably less well trained than a bare bones CPL ME CIR.

The MPL's sole purpose in life in to address the industrial issues associate with a pilot shortage. By de-skilling the co-pilots position and generating (yet another) shortcut through the GA cauldron the belief at ICAO is that this will attract more individuals to the occupation of flying. In essence existing co-pilots and APTL / CPL ME CIR guys / girls in GA will take up the command positions generated by the exponential expansion of air traffic (particularly in Asia) and the MPL will occupy the RHS.

Two things crucially are part of this plan and its very important to understand the following:

The MPL licensinc competencies, as they currently stand, fall well short of the ICAO competencies required to hold an ATP in signatory nations; and
There is currently no plan to 'bridge' the competency gap built into the existing MPL modelWhy would ICAO not do this ??. Well under huge pressure from the industry the plan is to try and defer the training costs back onto the pilot (as is currently the case from TIF to first revenue flight with JQ / DJ) rather than make the employer pay

MPL will generate pilots in a shorter time frame than our current system but will not save the RPT operators money unless they can engineer circumstances where the MPL will pay for their training, both initial, a bridging course for ATPL and then perhaps even command upgrade training.

There is plenty of detail on the ICAO website.

Mathers

blow.n.gasket
24th Apr 2007, 10:50
Ah the MPL hairy chestnut again.
It's pretty obvious isn't it?
The MPL in it's Australian guise is an escape clause put in place by management, mostly with Qantas and Alteon input to defeat the impending pilot shortage should it start to bite.
It is designed to reduce the most costly part of flying training ,to the barest of minimums, that cost is the learning to fly in a real aeroplane bit.
What does it cost to really run a simulator when you own it?
The actual cost of training an MPL will be but a fraction of what it costs self starters today to achieve their airline fractured fairytale..(That is the actual cost to the training provider, which means greater profits to them if they price the MPL just below what the traditional training path would be.)
Probably end up like Europe with a mixture of sponsered cadets and self starters or such like ,flying in the right hand seat with the present generation of pilots as captains.The last generation of pilots trained to a standard rather than to a cost!:bored:

The Professor
24th Apr 2007, 13:46
"In essence an MPL wil be considerably less well trained than a bare bones CPL ME CIR."

An MPL is designed to provide more job specific training for pilots destined for glass jets with fmc's etc. A great deal of the knowledge gained during CPL training is of little relevance to modern airline flying. Visual navigation, single pilot flying etc.

“The MPL licensinc competencies, as they currently stand, fall well short of the ICAO competencies required to hold an ATP in signatory nations”.

Very true, but the MPL IS similar to the equivalent being tabled in said signatory nations. ie: in simple terms, most other countries are discussing similar changes to airline pilot licensing.

Jawz
25th Apr 2007, 01:07
Congrats to the other JQ guys and gals. I start soon too.
One point i would like to make.
If pilots don't apply to JQ and VB, and there is a "Pilot Shortage", This will give the airlines every LEGAL right to source crew from overseas. (89?)
Ever been to a Indian or Chinese trained Doctor? Why?
I was able to get a Visa for a south pacific country ONLY after the company advertised my position !!!
WAKE UP - You think it is bad now? There are plenty of pilots O.S. who will happily move to OZ for peanuts!
Mother n Country - see you in SY

Track Direct
25th Apr 2007, 04:07
Jawz

Care to explain this one...?

There are plenty of pilots O.S. who will happily move to OZ for peanuts!

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Apr 2007, 04:23
"There are plenty of pilots O.S. who will happily move to OZ for peanuts!"

Simple!

Where would you rather live and raise a family, Bombay or Brisbane!

Dr:cool:

Jawz
25th Apr 2007, 23:19
Thankyou Dr

rodney rude
25th Apr 2007, 23:47
BOMBAY!!

Now - if it was Bombay vs Sydney or Melboune or Perth or Hobart..........

...still single
26th Apr 2007, 00:18
......Or Halls Creek, or Maningrida....

Track Direct
26th Apr 2007, 01:36
FTD/Jawz

All depends what salary you regard as peanuts, are you referring to Jet*/VB pay scales ?

Jawz
26th Apr 2007, 02:03
TD

Why don't you go and ask someone from a third world country what they consider to be fair pay?

Like it or not, it's just a fact.

Chilli Muscle
26th Apr 2007, 21:28
For what its worth and with all the discussion about math and aptitude consider this.
If the salary quoted is correct (68k for an FO) it is slightly above 50% of what an A320 FO was getting 15 years ago.
It is obviously inadequate and endorsement costs in addition to this are just an embarrassment.
The analogy to dogs does hold some justification.
Pavlovs dogs in particular as this theory is most probably being applied in a corporate sense.

desmotronic
26th Apr 2007, 22:43
Its interesting that QF FOs label JQ aspirants as dogs for accepting lower conditions yet said FOs have been accepting progressively lower conditions themselves for years. Perhaps if the A scale sky gods had shown some industry leadership in the past and backed the interests of the likes of GA, regional drivers and new FO's, mainline wouldn't be getting shafted they way it is now.

Anyone who didnt see this coming 10 years ago is seriously myopic.

No i have no interest in working for JQ as i couldnt take the pay cut, same goes for QF C scale pay... or is it D scale now?

cunninglinguist
26th Apr 2007, 22:57
Chilli, FWIW the base rate for a JQ 320 effo is 84K, most, if not all do enough O/T to push that up to between 95 and 100K.
Either way, its far from 68K and pretty much north of any T/prop job in Oz.
After the tax return on the endo, the 20K or so left over will be made up fairly quickly when earning anywhere from 20-40K more per year than in GA.

I'm sure all aspiring airline jocks would love to earn 120k, not pay for the endorsement and live in Australia................maybe all you cynics/critics could tell them where to apply :hmm:

Condition lever
14th May 2007, 03:50
Yeah..... you now have to sign an AWA :ugh:

neville_nobody
14th May 2007, 04:53
Where would you rather live and raise a family, Bombay or Brisbane!

Folks there will not be a cavalcade of foreign pilots invading Australia from third world countries working for GA wages. Mainly because nationals in third world airlines and most of Asia are either locked into long bond periods, or they are on a better deal flying for a national carrier than flying for Jetstar.

Then you also have to consider the cost of relocating, interviews, license conversion etc assuming that their flying standard and English standards are acceptable.

They aren't going to leave government backed jobs to come and get stuffed around by Jetstar. Remember Australians LEAVE Australia to go and work overseas.

There will be absolutely no Asian pilots getting in as they are locked in with training bonds. Remember most of these guys haven't paid a cent to fly an aeroplane in their life.

If the JPC had any guts they should call the bluff on this one if required. You won't be seeing to many people rushing to country to earn that sort of money, if they are already in a heavy jet job. Just goes to show how gutless the JPC really is if they fall for the old, "we'll bring in foreigners if you don't work for this amount"

Remember there is a international pilot SHORTAGE. There is only so long that airline executives can continue to defy basic economic principles.

Track Direct
2nd Jun 2007, 06:55
Geez it just does'nt end with Jet* does it.....:{

Self fund rating, aaahh that's a bit tough, let's just bond them for a few years...:yuk:

Oops we forgot, that psych test is looking a bit cheap, yep we 'd better raise that fee as well....:*

Oh and did I mention the application fee to go with that...:=

What else have we got, oh yeah, now how about we really bend them over and offer AWA's:ugh:

That shortage may last a little longer if this continues !:p

cunninglinguist
2nd Jun 2007, 08:10
Another good question to add to the " where would you rather live " debate.............

Would you rather work 'til 65 ( in Oz ) or 55 ( o/S ) and retire alot wealthier ?

Shouldhe
2nd Jun 2007, 08:55
or you could retire a lot wealthier, which is better than alot wealthier

fender
2nd Jun 2007, 09:21
Shouldhe or should I say Should he?
Who give a ratz.

Anyway, J* sukz

cunninglinguist
2nd Jun 2007, 09:25
wot he sed :} :}