PDA

View Full Version : Requesting a move to London?

JayB
13th Apr 2007, 10:09
Hi everyone,

Appologies if this is posted in the wrong section. I'm currently studying at a Uni in the UK, and I've decided to apply for a HKID card since it is one of the requirements for applying to the CX Cadet scheme. However, I am interested to know what is the criteria for a CX pilot/cadet to be able to transfer from the HK hub to a London base?

It goes without saying that a) I'm still far off from even getting an offer, and b) I would accept whatever they want to give me, but I thought I'd at least be prepared for it.

Thanks!

Blueangelz
14th Apr 2007, 14:16
JayB
First of all there are a few things to be considered...
1) you cant just get an HKID i mean if you qualify for one then my appologies, but like all paperwork this takes time.
2) if you are to get a place offered with the cadet pilot program i believe that you are allowed to be posted back to the uk only once you have reached the ranking of a first officer and when that comes, it is dependent upon seniority.

further more, once you become a FO, you really should stay in HK so you could gain enough flying hours i.e. with short haul to and back from china, and long haul combined.
once you have done that, then maybe you can consider basing in UK, this is because if you base in UK you are likely to only get the LHR-HKG route which would not gain you that many hours after all...

JayB
14th Apr 2007, 14:32
Thanks BlueAngelz,

fortunately my mother lives in HK and holds an ID card, so there is a possibility of me being able to get an HKID card as she was a Chinese national when I was born.

The advice regarding flying hours and seniority is great, didn't totally understand that before hand, I assumed that there would be more routes from LHR.

Well, I have a trip to HK in the summer to sort out all of the paper work, then fingers crossed, onto the cadet application.

Thanks again!

Blueangelz
14th Apr 2007, 14:41
sorry if this sounds harsh in advance...
but if you think that there is more than one route from LHR then you better brush up on your company background info...

as cx is a hong kong operated airline, most flights will go through the hub (HKG) and there are almost none that has an onward journey. but yes there are 4 flights / day indeed so you may fly more than you think...

more so, i am not entirely sure how they work it within the company, but they may a e.g ask you to fly to hk then go on to another destination. but if thats the case whats the point... you may as well live there!

also, the UK tax more, i doubt they will change your salary... and you are unlikely to get any allowance! which im not sure if you get in hk...