PDA

View Full Version : Sgt Rachel McDonald, RAF

OilCan
12th Apr 2007, 23:35
From Daily Express:http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/4233
RACHEL, A TRUE HEROINE FOR OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
Thursday April 12,2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A HEROIC RAF paramedic has won a major award after leading her team through enemy fire to save 24 wounded soldiers in Afghanistan.

Sergeant Rachel McDonald, 25, has been named Para*medic Of The Year 2007 by the Ambulance Service Institute for her courageous actions in spring last year.

Rachel and her four-man team treated the French, American and Afghan troops wounded in a firefight with the Taliban and supervised their evacuation under enemy fire.

Within hours of getting the wounded to the safety of the British field hospital at the Army’s Camp Bastion in Helmand province, she and her team were back in the front-line.

Rachel, who is single and from Swansea, is now back in Afghanistan on another tour of duty. Details of her bravery emerged only after the ASI announced that she is to be presented with the award at a House of Commons ceremony next month.

Rachel was based at Camp Bastion last May when reports came in of “numerous casualties” during fighting with the Taliban.

The citation says: "On arrival at the location the helicopter deposited the medical personnel with the force protection unit to give them cover.

"Under hostile fire, Sgt McDonald led the medical personnel, on foot, to a small holding area where they were presented with 24 Afghan Army, French and American casualties.

"Due to the high threat levels, the helicopter could not remain on the ground and Sgt McDonald was advised that it would return in 10 minutes to retrieve the team and the casualties."

It wheeled away in a cloud of dust and, while British, French, American and Afghan troops secured the holding area, Rachel found the wounded had been given "basic treatment" by American medics.

But the fighting was so intense that these battlefield medics were suffering from "battle shock" and unable to give her a clear picture of the state of the casualties.

She designated one casualty as priority one, five as priority two and the rest as priority three.

The most seriously wounded soldier, a 22-year-old Afghan, had suffered gunshot wounds to the left lower chest and left flank.

Three others had gunshot wounds to the legs and one in both arms.

Others were suffering from minor injuries but all were in a state of shock.

Rachel supervised the evacuation with the wounded loaded onto various vehicles while she accompanied the most seriously wounded on the terrifying three minute drive to helicopter landing zone.

The citation said:

"The casualties were transferred to the helicopter, again under fire, with Sgt McDonald remaining on the ground to ensure rapid but safe transfer of each casualty and finally retrieving the medical equipment from each vehicle.

"Throughout the short journey Sgt McDonald recorded details of her quick assessments of each casualty."

On the 12 minute flight to Camp Bastion Rachel supervised further treatment, overcoming language difficulties, and concentrating on the most seriously wounded soldier and while airborne told the hospital what to prepare for.

The young Afghan was treated successfully before being airlifted to a more advanced hospital.

With the patients in safe hands, Rachel "directed her team to replenish the medical kit ready to re-deploy to another incident", said the citation.

"Within a matter of hours Sgt McDonald was leading her team on another mission to retrieve injured service personnel from a similar hostile environment."
------------------------------------
This has lifted my spirits.
Well done Rachel :ok:

PPRuNeUser0211
13th Apr 2007, 02:18
Well done m'dear!

Tigs2
13th Apr 2007, 03:23
Now thats a story WORTH selling to the newspapers. But i bet she wouldn't dream of it. Well done Rachel.:ok: :ok:

Chugalug2
13th Apr 2007, 04:58
Utterly, utterly brilliant. Well done that lady!

threepointonefour
13th Apr 2007, 07:10
Sweet work.

Kitbag
13th Apr 2007, 07:28
So, when will the PR machine start reporting this excellent piece of work? It may have been a rather more positive and interesting 'Day in the Life' than another recent article.
Very well done to Sgt McD, she's got bigger cajones than me :D

cornish-stormrider
13th Apr 2007, 07:52
:D :D :D
Need we say any more

Good work Lass:ok:

midsomerjambo
13th Apr 2007, 08:08
A copy of this article should be sent to the frightened fifteen and the Sun under the heading "Now That's What I Call Heroes!".

Snow Dog
13th Apr 2007, 08:09
Very, very well done. And followed up with humility.

The Swinging Monkey
13th Apr 2007, 08:18
Whilst I am not advocating it, this would be a story worth selling to the newspapers, instead of that pathetic drivel from the (so-called) senior service!

Outstanding Rachel, well done and I raise my hat (and a few drinks) to you and you team for a truly exceptional job. YMany congratualtions on your award, and I hope you understand that you have raised my spirits and no doubt countless many others, and I am once again proud to be British.

God, at last, some good news to come out of that hell-hole.

Well done again
TSM

RETDPI
13th Apr 2007, 08:42
"Less stringent" duties of course.
Admirable.

maxburner
13th Apr 2007, 09:04
A brave and professional lady. Makes me feel very humble.

Wee Jock
13th Apr 2007, 09:29
That's the way to do it, true professionalism and courage.

Well done , Rachel, hope you're safely home.

:ok:

C130 Techie
13th Apr 2007, 10:37
It is great to see some recognition for bravery and professionalism, acts of which are clearly being perfomed by a large number of guys and girls everyday in both theatres.

snapper41
13th Apr 2007, 10:50
Excellent stuff, Rachel; well done.

Not bad for one the 'blunties' that many on here are so swift to knock, eh?:hmm:

The Helpful Stacker
13th Apr 2007, 10:52
Well done.:ok:

Not one mention of a broken pencil either.;)

MReyn24050
13th Apr 2007, 11:03
Rachel you really do deserve the hoist of the signal "Bravo Zulu".

Wyler
13th Apr 2007, 11:39
What a great story.

Just goes to show that it matters not the colour of your uniform, your trade or what badges you wear. Everyone has a vital part to play and courageous people come in all guises.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

thunderbird7
13th Apr 2007, 11:55
CALLING MAX CLIFFORD, CALLING MAX CLIFFORD, SEAMAN JADE GOODY HAS A SPLINTER
While the real heroes are quietly getting on with it..
Well done.

Safeware
13th Apr 2007, 12:00
Well done,

But I hope there is something more than 'Paramedic of the Year' in recognition of this.

sw

4fitter
13th Apr 2007, 12:08
Safeware - totally agree. Wot no gong !!!!

animo et fide
13th Apr 2007, 12:36
Well done Rachel from one who was on that very aircraft with you. You deserve it just for the look on your face when we picked you up!!

Could be the last?
13th Apr 2007, 15:39
Courage under fire....
Bravery.....
Leadership.....

It is a shame that this was not formally recognised by the military first! Or was it?

Well done Sgt.:ok:

Talking Radalt
13th Apr 2007, 19:06
I know what she did last summer!
Flew with Rachel numerous times. A total ray of sunshine in an otherwise stormy sky! Well done, great news.:D

HAL9000
13th Apr 2007, 19:32
At the risk of joining two current threads, I typed 'Sgt Rachel McDonald' into the BBC news search engine and nothing came up about this brave young woman. Draw your own conclusions.

This is precisely the sort of person the spotlight, and public attention, should be on. The whole story is real 'Girls Own' stuff and I particularly liked the bit about Sgt McDonald preparing for the next incident even before the dust had settled from this one. That is truly the mark of modest and unassuming heroism.

Winco
13th Apr 2007, 21:14
Rachel

You are a true hero, and I salute you.
Your courage and determination will be an inspiration to many, and you have set an outstanding example to many. I offer my sincere congratulations on your award and will raise a glass to you tonight.
Well done Lass! You have brightened up what has been a rarther sad and miserable week.

The Winco

mutleyfour
14th Apr 2007, 07:59
A touching tale, one of people getting on with their duties, with professionalism.

I will raise my glass this evening to Rachel and her team!

120class
14th Apr 2007, 09:29
An inspirational story indeed.

Well Done to you and your brave colleagues.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
14th Apr 2007, 12:05
Just to add my congrats.

Well done Sgt McD.

:ok:

Duncs

Green Flash
14th Apr 2007, 14:30
Rachel

Ditto all of the above. You are obviously an exceptional leader of an exceptional team. I like your style!:ok:

Sentry Agitator
14th Apr 2007, 19:16
Top Job Rachel!

In these days of constant bad news and when the press seem to be totally focussed upon showing the military in a bad light; your courage/heroism during your baptism under fire has given me new hope that perhaps we do have the right people, in the right jobs and in the right places at the wrong times.

Well done girl, if I ever have the pleasure of meeting you in a social environment, you can be sure of my complete embarrassment and of course a free night in the bar.

SA:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ex_rigger
14th Apr 2007, 19:37
A bright star on what has been a couple of dark weeks. Well done lass.
:D:D:D

Rakshasa
14th Apr 2007, 19:55
Well done to, Rachel and her team! Congratulations!

Shack37
14th Apr 2007, 20:19
Cracker of a job well done.
Still too positive for the BBC oiks though.
:O
S37

Dogwatch
14th Apr 2007, 20:26
As an Ex, but not light blue, your award is richly deserved. Medals? sounds like you should get something. The high praise of your peers and others, Priceless.

Given the bad press of the last couple of weeks, your actions have gone a long way to redress the balance, Bloody good effort!!

Lou Scannon
14th Apr 2007, 20:41
What a totally amazing account, and one that left an over-the-hill retired RAF pilot with tears in his eyes.

...but not so many tears that I couldn't cut and paste the report to a friend who used to be well up in the BBC asking what all his replacements are doing in not carrying this story but giving all the publicity to what we used to call the "Silent Service" and their boating adventures!

Rachel... bloody well done girl!!!

Green Flash
15th Apr 2007, 00:22
Rachel

See? You've done The Right Thing! For everyone else - SHE DID HER JOB. In a hail of sh!t and shot, but she did her job.

4fitter
15th Apr 2007, 09:15
Will speak to DGMS(RAF) tomorrow to find out why this was not considered worthy of military recognition.

insty66
15th Apr 2007, 20:07
Critics of the tabloid press suddenly very quiet. Well fancy that.

did I miss a sudden tabloid explosion of praise for Rachel and her team?

btw. Thank you Rachel and crew for reminding the world what the best of the military can do.:D :ok:

Lou Scannon
16th Apr 2007, 20:08
4fitter:

Any luck with the DGMS?
I have pestered my ex beeb mate again.

The Poison Dwarf
16th Apr 2007, 23:01
Rachel,

Hats off to you!

Total professionalism, not only as a service person, but as a medic and if the military hierarchy/politicos don't recognise that then at least a more respectable body of your peers has.

TPD