25th Jun 2001, 02:16
chihuahua, take a look at

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum41/HTML/002001.html

:)

------------------
pax d - narcissistic, short-sighted, ill-bred moron

Capt Crash
25th Jun 2001, 02:16
It is a comedy and I laughed very hard. Just some harmless fun to brighten up a Sunday night.

:)

flt_lt_w_mitty
25th Jun 2001, 02:24
Yep - its not often I laugh out loud at 'tele these days, but tonight I did. A refreshingly different style of humour.

JB007
25th Jun 2001, 02:37
chihuahua,

Sorry mate..forgive me for taking the p!ss, but me an my old man were in tears tonight over this programme and your posting was the icing on the cake !!!
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/rotfl.gif

Didn't the fact that the F/o saying the "A/c for todays flight would be a 767-300", the walkround was a B757 and the flightdeck was a B744 give any hints to a spoof!!!???

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/Planeattitude.gif

------------------
I've Got Bad Attitude!

[This message has been edited by JB007 (edited 24 June 2001).]

CaptSensible
25th Jun 2001, 02:40
And for once they were reasonably accurate with their presentation. Which just shows it can be done if they bother. Some of the references would only have been picked up by aircrew. I laughed my arse off.

Phoenix_X
25th Jun 2001, 02:53
So did I and a couple of friends of mine. Excellent show, it sure made my day :). And to be honest, as JB007 says, I don't want to take the piss, but chihuahua, your post made the excellent ending to it :).

I loved the bit about "Ehhh from now on I don't want to be recognised anymore"

Hahaha :)

Basil
25th Jun 2001, 03:32
By Chr**t I wish I could get it in from thirty odd thousand feet (note brief cut to alt) on short finals! Well I probably could but the b^st^rd would still be spinning when it hit the deck! :)
'kin hillarious!

piloteddy
25th Jun 2001, 04:01
As everyone else has been saying- Brilliant!!!
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/funmeter2.gif
http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/colflash.gif

eyeinthesky
25th Jun 2001, 10:47
Speed, BBC1 2000hrs Sun Night. Jeremy Clarkson is up the front for an auto-landing on 09L at LL. He talks non-stop all the way down to landing, with the Captain making the odd contribution as well. What happened to sterile cockpit rules?

Having said that, seeing him put through the wringer on the G-macine was good fun.

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

anengineer
25th Jun 2001, 12:32
Yeah, I normally find Clarkson semi-amusing and sort of watchable, but watching him get so excited about an autoland was a bit "cringe inducing". ...next week, Jeremy discovers they have electricity in Scotland :)

Augustus Finknottle
25th Jun 2001, 12:44
Oh dear chihuahua - I bet you feel a right prat now - not only was it a spoof, it wasn't a real aircraft - it was a simulator (I thought a B777 ??).

You silly boy. :rolleyes:

BusyB
25th Jun 2001, 12:58
I thought it was hilarious too, I'd hate to be on chihuahua's flightdeck if he thinks thats how crews should operate!! Anyone know if its to be repeated, definitely worth taping to keep. :)

AffirmBrest
25th Jun 2001, 13:07
I loved the last series, and have only caught a couple of this latest one - My missus promised she'd set the video up to record it...whaddyaknow, it didn't work! :mad:

Anyone got a copy they could lend me? (I'll Send it straight back in a jiffy bag!!)

Muchas gracias :)

AB

------------------
...proceeding below Decision Height with CAUTION...

[This message has been edited by AffirmBrest (edited 25 June 2001).]

Max Angle
25th Jun 2001, 13:48
Very, very funny, last weeks about a bank was as good. It was a bit like Spinal Tap for pilots, the next time I have to give a safety brief to a j/s rider I will be trying to find some new phrases and be hoping they did not see the show.

I noticed that the tech. consultant for the show was Bob Davy who used to work for us at BMI and wrote for Flyer magazine, not sure what he is doing now.

Cheers.

FlapsOne
25th Jun 2001, 14:17
".......Each flight normally consists of 1 take off and 1 landing in the appropriate direction as demanded by the laws of physics.........."

Priceless.......what a super programme!

Capt Byrd de Styrke
25th Jun 2001, 14:29
re: Speed
Think old clarkey had been enjoying
Upper Class service prior to landing !!!

[img http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/spineyes.gif[/img]

Wedge
25th Jun 2001, 15:20
Absolutely hilarious.....I was going to post something on it last night but I'm glad I didn't or we would have been denied chihuaua's response!!! Sorry mate but had to laugh. And what better plaudit for the filmakers that you believed these guys were actually flight deck crew! In fairness you did say you only caught the last few minutes.

I just watched it again on video, had not heard of this series before but when it came on last night I realised after a couple of minutes it was a wind-up. However, full marks to the BBC for the most well informed aviation documentary I have ever seen. The actors were the most believeable pilots I've ever seen on TV. For those who missed it....a short transcript of the funniest bit as the pilots run through the pre take-off briefing

Captain: "So this will be a standard take off with full engine de-rating flap 5. When we line up I'll advance the thrust levers, you will call power stable, you will monitor take-off, call 80 knots, V1 and rotate.

Mallard (in jumpseat): "Right I'll just be here then so you know, I won't....."

Captain: "Below 80 knots I will stop for any failure"

Mallard: "Good"

Captain: "Above 80 knots we will only stop for engine fire.....

Mallard: "Right"

Captain: "Engine failure"

Mallard: "Good"

Captain: "Blocked runway"

Mallard: "OK"

Captain: "Listen this isn't for you!"

Mallard: "Oh right..."

Captain: "It's not a negro spiritual"

Mallard: "Oh ok, sorry......"

F/O: "There are times when we are just going to be busy"

Mallard: "Yeah sounds it"

[This message has been edited by Wedge (edited 25 June 2001).]

swashplate
25th Jun 2001, 15:20
Reasonable prog (not the Clarkson one!)

I think it was a 747-400 sim?

------------------
Live long and Prosper.....

Penn Doff
25th Jun 2001, 15:23
They must work for a low paid airline as the F/O has two jobs!! He can also be seen as the new gay police Sgt on "The Bill".

Missed the first ten minutes but found it very entertaining. If anyone notices a repeat performance please, please post the details here.

------------------
"please report further"

Augustus Finknottle
25th Jun 2001, 15:48
Hey chihuahua - I've just shown your post to some mates and they p1ssed themselves. However, one of my non flying mates wants reassuring that someone as stupid as you is not let near a cockpit - so please put the whole travelling public at ease and confirm asap.

Cheers, Finky.

Man-on-the-fence
25th Jun 2001, 16:13
Best thing I have seen all year

FO to Stewardess : So will you be joining us at the pointy end?

Priceless, I did have to keep checking that it wasn't a Channel 4 documentary though, then I realised,this one was more true to life.

Repeat Please

pied piper
25th Jun 2001, 17:16
Any onecare to explain the mineral water reference ;)

edited for people who read English

[This message has been edited by pied piper (edited 25 June 2001).]

FatBoyFlyer
25th Jun 2001, 17:21
Apparently it is repeated on Wednesday on BBC Choice (Digital channel).
Probably the only time I will ever watch BBC Choice.

FBF

Haulin' Trash
25th Jun 2001, 17:36
Chihuahua - I gather you are an easyJet driver (based upon the JMC 250kts below FL100 thread). Guess the Orange folks ain't too picky these days!

FlapsOne
25th Jun 2001, 18:12
F/A to Interviewer "This job is just like being on stage really."

Interviewer "Is that why you wear all that make-up then?"

Wonderful stuff.

Big Red ' L '
25th Jun 2001, 20:20
I have the video if anyone wants to see it. Just e-mail me.

Best part....The way they fuzzed out the logos on the plane when taxyiing.. :)

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....

chihuahua
25th Jun 2001, 20:35
The moral of the story: don't post about a program you have watched after several pints of beer.

No more posts please, let this one die....please!

telecaster
25th Jun 2001, 21:19
There was a feature on John Morton, the writer/creator of PLUin last Saturday's Daily telegraph magazine 23/6/01. Excellent humour. I love the bit - whats Ops short for? Answer: Convenience! Laughed my head off.

Benny The Wheels
25th Jun 2001, 22:10
Fat Boy Flyer is right, it's repeated on BBC Choice (Sky Digital Channel 160) this Wednesday (June 27th) at 11pm.

Definitely going to watch it again!

NorthernSky
25th Jun 2001, 23:16
Mrs NorthernSky and I laughed ourselves daft over this (and the preceding programme about the East End pub), and I'm delighted to bring you all great news!

Lots of good telly series start out on Radio 4, and 'People Like Us' is one of them. In the radio series, there was an 'airline pilot' episode, and the great news is that (i) it was as hilarious as the TV episode (though it's very different), and (ii) the series is available on cassette tape through the good old BBC.

Briefly, the twist on the radio version is that it's the w**ld's fa***rite airline, and the aircraft turns out to be very definitely under the command of the CSD.

Please, please, invest in a copy of the tape, and show the BBC that whilst TV can make you laugh, radio is the 'Theatre of the Mind', and can be twenty times funnier.....

And Chihuahua, just be grateful that you cocked up here and not at 1500ft on the approach.

For those of us who missed it, can anyone post Chihuahua's orginal missive?

------------------
'Brighten my Northern Sky' Nick Drake R.I.P.

[This message has been edited by NorthernSky (edited 25 June 2001).]

Dan Winterland
26th Jun 2001, 00:43
What a hoot. Nearly had to change my underwear I laughed so much!

Can someone post the jist of Littledog's original post so those who came to this thread late can have another laugh.

tech...again
26th Jun 2001, 11:24
....and I DID have to change my underwear...!

Brilliant!

Brae_Cwynd
26th Jun 2001, 15:41
Just like to agree with Mr. & Mrs. NorthernSky. The radio broadcast of a day in the life of an airline pilot was even funnier. First broadcast on 2 August 1997. Available on cassette from the BBC Radio Collection. People Like Us 2. If your local shop does not have it, you can order quoting ISBN 0-563-55825-3. This also includes a day in the life of; a policeman, a photographer and an estate agent. All of them are good but you have to listen carefully for all the nuances. Highly reccommended!.

beaver eager
26th Jun 2001, 23:52
This link goes straight to the BBC online shop's page for "People Like Us 2" which is £9.99 + p&p.

http://www.bbcshop.com/bbc_shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=0563558253 &shop=bbc&mscssid=93G9ANR7DAS92NG60002U40F6N9627B1 (http://www.bbcshop.com/bbc_shop/product.asp?pf%5Fid=0563558253&shop=bbc&mscssid=93G9ANR7DAS92NG60002U40F6N9627B1)

I just had to order it straight away. If it's half as good as the TV show Sunday night it'll be worth every penny. I'll also be paying my first visit to BBC Choice tomorrow. The TV version's going to become a cult. The 'Spinal Tap' of the aviation world!

Check power... (to the VCR that is!)

Sorry chihuahua, but someone out there must have your original post cached in their browser's history files. So come on everybody... Please check it out and do the decent thing (i.e. cut and paste) so that others may share the mirth you have enjoyed.

[This message has been edited by beaver eager (edited 26 June 2001).]

Maxfli
27th Jun 2001, 02:40
I thought it was magic :)

beaver eager
28th Jun 2001, 03:01
Just watched it again - definitely brilliant.

So brilliant that I've had to change my signature.

Loved this bit...

"Yes, we eat exactly the same food as the passengers, but Paul and I aren't allowed to have the same meal."

"What about the Cabin Crew?"

"Same thing applies really, we're not both allowed to have the same one."

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

------------------
Climbing at an R.A.T.E. of 1.53 vertical seconds per foot of thrust!

Wedge
28th Jun 2001, 03:31
And what about:

"I think Erica's worked with Paul before, I think she's done Barcelona with him"

"Right but you're saying that's not typical?"

"Well I don't know, you'll have to ask her" ;)

And

"Erica could I have a coke please?"

"Errrr she's just giving Paul one.......Ooh, no."

Classic stuff.

Lurk R
28th Jun 2001, 09:50
Sounds like a documentary version of "Flying High"!!!

Self Loading Freight
28th Jun 2001, 15:52
Perhaps it could be shown at the next bash?

R

behind_the_second_midland
29th Jun 2001, 02:41
P1 "It also tells us about anything abnormal"
P2 " he doesn't mean you"

Followed by uncontrollable laughter and P2 collapsed with shoulders shaking. Quality. CSD was a bit good looking for BA though!

BTSM

Seat 32F
29th Jun 2001, 04:10
I know that poor Chihuahua has been put through the proverbial mill over his knee jerk response to the proggy. However, (call me a killjoy) I do find it somewhat disconcerting that others take an almost sadistic delight in rubbing his nose in it (pun not intentional). It sort of indicates a schoolboyish mentality that (OK) is acceptable up to a point but I think some of you guys have gone beyond this.

Personally I would rather trust someone that cares about something that they take at face value rather than someone that adopts this somewhat smug (ie I would never make such a stupid and fundamental mistake) approach. Admit it (if you can), we've all got hold of the wrong end of the stick at some point in out lives. This holier-than-thou attitude can, in other circumstances, lead to a rather more serious outcome.

Sorry to pour cold water on the fun. It was a great piece of broadcasting though (for a change).

Alien Shores
29th Jun 2001, 21:20
It's called "banter" 32Foxtrot, the ability to give and takes vast quantities of said substance being one of the pre-requisites for the job of pilot (along with the ability to quote at least 3 complete scenes from the Monty Python ouevre.)

Schoolboyish? Maybe. Who cares! I saw Chihuaha's post and cracked up; I think he's taken it fairly well, but go on mate, put the original back....priceless.

Alien

Mycroft
29th Jun 2001, 22:33
"It's just an alarm telling us the autopilot is turned off. There's nothing to worry about"
"Yes there is, he's a nutter"

Seat 32F
2nd Jul 2001, 14:43
NB: the BBC link that Beaver Eager refers to is for an audio cassette. Sadly, the video version does not appear to be available at present.

JB007
2nd Jul 2001, 20:08
"One thing i've been confused about...where does a long haul flight start and a short haul flight end ?"

"Ahh yes...Amsterdam!"

"Right...good.."

NorthernSky
3rd Jul 2001, 01:39
Seat32F,

That's because we were all discussing the original RADIO version of the programme - which, according to informed sources at the BBC, is not scheduled for VIDEO release.

Perhaps we can christen this type of 'going off at half cock' error 'small dog syndrome'?!

------------------
'Brighten my Northern Sky' Nick Drake R.I.P.

Gash Handlin
3rd Jul 2001, 02:44
please please please someone put small dogs original message back up

Pielander
3rd Jul 2001, 16:30
I was fortunate enough to capture this fantastic program on video, so if anybody wants to borrow it, I don't mind sending it on the rounds. Email me with an address if you're interested.

"Heathrow is like a self-contained city, with all the things a modern city needs - including its own airport".

V. funny.

Pie

schuler_tuned
5th Jul 2001, 00:39
aarrrghhhh!!!! still no little dog original posting, post! someone please, pie, edit the message to blackmail anyone with the original
and hasn't seen the inspirational said prog'.
anyone, everyone, please satisfy all the sad, sadistic urges of me and my fellow
chris morris fans!
oh, go on, please!, pretty please......anything, anything you want,
i n-e-e-d t-o k-n-o-w........!!!!!!
(i'm off to bed now, where the walls are soft and the sky tastes of pink!)