PDA

View Full Version : Information for a flight dispatcher beginner

norton2005
12th Apr 2007, 15:14
Im a complete beginner in this field and am looking to go into it but first am looking for information and have no idea were to find it. Things im looking for are
*what educational requirments do i need to get into flight dispatching?
*how do i get into it, in that i mean what kind of job specific qualifications to i need to achieve and how and where do i achieve them?
*what is a typical starting salary for dispatching? what could i be earning in say 2 to 3 years and what could i be earning further down the line in my carrer?

If anyone can help with this i would be very grateful or if anyone knows any websites that i could visit for this that would also be helpful. thanks.

norton2005
13th Apr 2007, 14:41
Any suggestions?

easyDays
13th Apr 2007, 15:38
Norton
If you do a search in this forum you probably will find some of the answers to your questions. Do you want to get into Airline flight operations or work on the ramp…

evertonmad
16th Apr 2007, 06:39
Norton,

have a look here for starters http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271951

www.aviationjobsearch.com (http://www.aviationjobsearch.com) is one of the better aviation job websites.

It takes a special type of character to work in an Ops department. You need to be decisive & confident without being reckless & stubborn. You also need to be able to multi task meaning you can prioritise your work but still get everything done in a timely fashion so that the schedule you are supervising does not suffer delays. Another key characterisitic is having good communications skills. This is not a job for a shy person. Most Ops offices involve phoning people, updating them on current situations and involving your colleagues on duty with you to solve problems. Dispatch Resource Management is the modern way of describing the work that goes on in Ops. It can be a stressful environment so ask yourself have you got those basic qualities. These can all be developed over time as your experience grows, but you need to be sure you have these basic qualities.

My suggestion would be to contact the Ops departments of airlines that are based locally to you. Tell them your situation and ask them for a tour so you can get a first hand impression of what you're getting in to. Somebody is bound to respond to your request especially with the busy summer season about to kick off.

merlinxx
16th Apr 2007, 15:57
Check the other thread above this. Good luck.