PDA

View Full Version : Soft field Takeoff Technique in Africa Bush flying

LimpopoHippo
12th Apr 2007, 14:50
Hi guys,

When taking off from rough or unimproved runway surfaces one is taught to use the "Soft Field Takeoff" technique which generally means:

1. Flaps 10 to 25 degrees Takeoff configuration
2. Rolling takeoff technique with lots of back pressure on the yoke initially to set takeoff attitude early in take-off run
3. Lift off early and fly in "ground effect" to build up speed to min safe recommended climb speed (Vx if obstacles ahead Vy if no obstacles) then climb out and clean aircraft up when safely clear of obstacles.

MY QUESTION IS WHY ISNT THIS METHOD APPLIED PRACTICALLY IN MANY OF OUR BUSH STRIPS HERE IN AFRICA?

poorwanderingwun
12th Apr 2007, 17:22
Tis by me,,,and others that I've flown with.... maybe you're keeping bad company :}

french_fry
12th Apr 2007, 20:13
Single Engine no worries,

Twin, Lose one engine=going farming if you take off under VMC in ground effect.

Regards

vanman208b
14th Apr 2007, 20:38
cant remember when last i did a balanced field!!1:oh:
From the twotter to the dc3 most of the take off's we use "1 big flap "(for cvr purposes ofcourse).most of the guys do use this method when opperating out of short ,wet, unconditioned strips.

SHURAVI
16th Apr 2007, 10:07
TO on L-410:
-Reduce tyres pressure
-Full power / flaps 0
-at 45KIAS-set flaps on 18 degr/yoke full back
-buildup speed on ground effect
-if stuck in RW and speed doesn't rise up-put flaps 42 degr.
Checked.:E

Fat Reggie
19th Apr 2007, 07:19
When yer arse cheeks start flap'n, its time to rotate.

WhinerLiner
22nd Apr 2007, 08:37
Probably best to read the AFM for the particular aircraft

Irene
23rd Apr 2007, 11:33
This type of training is often taught in a rushed fashion during PPL training and in the CPL training the focus is too much on the IF rating. Unusual take off and landing conditions are, for most pilots, learnt on the job.

To answer your original question, in my opinion, although the method you describe is 100% correct (obviously except for specifics related to a/c type), most pilots don't do it because they didn't do it with an instructor until it became second nature.