PDA

View Full Version : Wing Commander R H M ("Bobby") Bobby Gibbes DSO DFC & Bar

Torres
12th Apr 2007, 04:35
http://aviationmuseum.com.au/news/images/bobby_000.jpg

Photo acknowledgement to Temore Aviation Museum.

Wing Commander R H M "Bobby" Gibbes DSO DFC & Bar OAM[Redt]
1915 - 2007
War Hero, airline owner, hotelier, grazier, coffee grower and a bloody good bloke!

Bobby passed away at 9.50 pm last night, following a stoke last Sunday morning. I think he was 92 years of age.

Before the war Bobby was a stock & station agent in northern NSW. During the war he served in North Africa, northern Australia and Asia, managing to get shot down twice but scored 10 1/4 "kills". A fact often not mentioned was that Gibbsie made Group Captain, then got Court Marshalled for flying booze from Darwin to Moratai - a noble deed, he should have been promoted, not demoted.

He was also recommended for a VC for an act in Italy, however it wasn't approved - but that is another story!

After the war, Bobby started Gibbes Sepik Airways in Papua New Guinea, mostly operating Noseman and Junkers JU52 aircraft. He sold out to Ansett in 1959.

During the 1950s and 60s, Bobby developed his coffee plantation, "Tremarne" near Mt Hagen. After the sale of GSA, Bobby built the Bird of Paradise Hotel in Goroka and other hotels in PNG.

Bobby leaves wife Jeannie and daughters Robin and Julie.

I'd imagine his welcome by Blackjack and Junior would be something to rival the days of old!!!

Sadly missed old mate.

Torres
12th Apr 2007, 05:56
In 2004 and with the assistance of many PPRuNe users (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=95055&highlight=Bobby+Gibbes), we got Bobby another "Gong" - an Order of Australia.

Bendo
12th Apr 2007, 08:34
Very Sad.
Last time I saw Bobby was the day the above photo was taken at Scone, the day Col Pay flew his 'new' Kittyhawk. Bobby very politely reminded me I had left the 'e' off the end of 'Gibbes' on his name-tag and then called me, smiling, a 'bloody ignorant bastard!' :}
A top bloke who will be missed by all who knew him - an extraordinary life - vale :D

Torres
12th Apr 2007, 08:41
Geeze Bendo. You got out of it cheap!

Miss that "e" its: "Off with his head! Barman, another round!"

Bendo
12th Apr 2007, 08:59
Well actually I think he called me a "bloody ignorant prick" :uhoh:

Fair enough....

Torres
12th Apr 2007, 09:06
Yeah. That sounds about right! Bobby always had a fair turn of phrase! :} :}

Torres
12th Apr 2007, 09:30
Spoke to Julie this evening. Funeral arrangements:

1.30 pm Tuesday, April 17, 2007. St Thomas Church of England, North Sydney.

After: Royal Price Alfred Yacht Club, Newport.

Not sure I got all that correct. Bit of an emotional phone call.

Swingwing
12th Apr 2007, 23:10
PPruNe has way too much negativity on it these days - as sad as his passing is, a life this fully lived should be reflected on and celebrated by everyone who values aviation.

I was privileged to meet him once at an air show whilst standing around in front of my Pig. Realising who it was just in time I called the other guys in the vicinity to attention and saluted him. You should have seen the bograts eyes widen when they discovered that this little old man was a fighter ace and war hero with 10+ kills.

For me, his life summons up images of derring do, amazing flying exploits and pioneering new frontiers in New Guinea.

He was truly one of the last of the great aviation pioneers that this country has produced - and the nation is the poorer for his passing.

Thank you WGCDR Gibbes.

SW

tinpis
13th Apr 2007, 01:16
Thanks for the lifts down the Waghi in a cigar smoke filled Twin Commanche with old "Paddy Gibbes" panting away on the back seat

Another time another world

RIP Bobby.

tail wheel
13th Apr 2007, 04:45
I have been advised of the passing of Squadron Leader Neville Duke DSO, OBE, DFC, AFC. (1922 - 2007).

Squadron Leader Neville Duke was the Royal Air Force's top-scoring ace in the Mediterranean theatre in World War II. In 1953, he became holder of the world air speed record when he achieved 727.63 mph flying a Hawker Hunter F Mk3 over Littlehampton in the UK.

Link here to another PPRuNe forum (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271449).

Bob Murphie
13th Apr 2007, 09:42
I would commend the book "Sepik Pilot" (James Sinclair),
Lansdown Press SBN 7018 0323 1
The frontspiece reads:
"In memory of the good old days- to the men of Gibbes Sepik Airways".
Forgive me if I quote from chapter 9, Court Martial;
"On 19th April 1945, at Headquarters , First Tactical Air Force, RAAF, Morotai, W/C R. H. Gibbes (No 260714) DSO., DFC and Bar, was charged by court martial with being guilty of conduct to the prejudice of good order and Air Force discipline. He was accused of three offences under section 40 of the Air Force Act, of having in the months of February, March and April, 1945, at Morotai, attempted to sell, otherwise than in the course of his duty, a total of four bottles of gin, wine and whiskey. Although the date of the first offence alleged was clearly wrong-Gibbes was not even at Morotai in February- Gibbes pleaded guilty to the charges (foolishly, in the opinion of an experienced legal man who reached Morotai just after the conclusion of the hearing). He was convicted of all charges. The sentence of the Court was that Wing Commander Gibbes be reduced in rank to Flight Lieutenant. The sentence was varied by the Air Officer Commanding 1st TAF so as to read 'to be reduced to the rank of Squadron Leader'. This was confirmed to the accused on 23 April 1945. It goes on.
There is a void that I fear will never be filled in future history. We have forgotten the good old days.
RIP.

Torres
13th Apr 2007, 10:29
Bob. I have the book somewhere, also Bobby's autobiography "You Live But Once" - and he sure did live a full life!!

My copy of his autobiography has the hand written notation:
"With my best wishes Bob. It is a great pity that we no longer have Junior to lead us astray. (signed) Bobby Gibbes 8th November 2002"

God knows why we needed Junior! Bobby managed to lead me astray on more occasions than I care to remember. At least when he owned "The Bird of Parasite" Hotel in Goroka, one could get smashed and follow the gutter home!
"Septic Pilot" was written by Jim Sinclair. I spoke to Jim on the phone yesterday - he's 79, just completed one book on Steamies, is returning to "The History of the Highlands" which he is part way through writing and has been commissioned to write the history of Port Morbid.

On the subject of the Court Marshal, there were three charged, from memory, Bobby, Blackjack (?) and Clive Caldwell and Bobby's charge related to sale of booze, not transporting in RAAF aircraft. Bobby reckoned it was a fair cop they only got him for three offenses......... :}

I scanned in a photo from Bobby's book, taken at home at Collaroy when he was building the CriCri in the living room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Woomera/BobbieandJeanie.jpg

It really used to p!55 Bobby off when I called it his twin engine lawn mower!!

I'm surprised it was a Tooheys. It was normally straight scotch and ice!

P.S. Just noticed the photos on the back wall. The one on the right is one of the Ju52's (VH-BUU, BUV, BUW) and the one on the left is the Norseman (VH-GSA?) supply dropping Jim Sinclair's patrol, shortly before Helli dropped it into Lake Kopiago after an engine failure.

Wiley
13th Apr 2007, 10:54
...and now for the conspiracy theory.

According to people you should know, (I think, but am not certain, that it was George Odgers in his Official History of the RAAF in WW2, Volume 2), the courts martial of Bobby Gibbes, Blackjack Walker and Clive Caldwell, all senior RAAF officers whose names were also very well known to the Australian public, was a complete stitch up, designed to take the spotlight off a public protest they had organised through a friendly Parliamentarian to put a stop to the totally useless offensive flight operations of the RAAF squadrons out of Moratai in 1945.

The RAAF Kittyhawk squadrons were losing pilots steadily in ground attacks on tactically and strategically useless Japanese-held islands that had been bypassed and had nothing of value on them apart from "an endless supply of anti aircraft ammunition" according to one of the others (I think Cadwell) court martialled along with Gibbes.

It would seem Gibbes and the others committed the most grievous of sins for a senior military officer - they tried to look after the men serving under them and not have them risk their lives unless it was for something worthwhile.

Their demise was exacerbated to a very large degree because of a wartime custom in the RAAF that went horribly, horribly wrong for the men who remained fighting at the front (and not just in this incident). If an officer, particularly a senior officer, was unable to ‘cut the mustard’ on operations, (and apparently, there were many), he was usually sent back to Australia to a desk job in Air Force Headquarters (the classic ‘sideways promotion’) – where, because he had recent experience ‘in theatre’, he usually became the resident expert on that theatre of operations and was all too often promoted into a position where he became senior to the man who had sacked him and sent him home.

Payback time.

Apparently there were quite a few such people back in Melbourne who took great delight in screwing Gibbes and the others, (I think) all of whom plead guilty to the old “Section 40” charge, (which, for those not familiar with it, (“conduct prejudicial to good discipline”) is almost impossible to beat, which is why it was the one slapped on them. They plead guilty because they were so utterly disenchanted with the System they had absolutely no respect for it and for the men who were overseeing it.

Sound familiar? Some things are timeless.

If you what to really get into a can of worms, there was the “two separate Air Forces” problem that plagued the RAAF at that time and I think played a part in this, i.e., those who followed AVM Jones and those who followed AVM Bostock.

If you want to go into that, we’d be here for days on end. The short version: Jones was assigned as CAS, but he was junior to Bostock, and the Brits wouldn’t let the Australians have a full Air Marshal, so the CAS remained the same rank as the man he’d bypassed – but lower down the stud list, and therefore in the Bostock’s (and many who agreed with him) eyes, he was still his junior. Throughout the whole war, there was another war -, and a very serious one - going on within the RAAF between the two camps, and it caused enormous problems.

Sound incredible? And incredibly petty? Check it out. It’s quite likely somewhere on Google.

Pinky the pilot
13th Apr 2007, 11:33
Wiley; Don't have to check any of your post on Google as I've heard it all before over the years from various sources, nearly all of whom were pilots in the same place and time as Bobby.

And every single one of these very brave men with whom I spoke of these times all said very much the same as to what you referred to above!!

It really makes you wonder at times as to how the war in the Pacific was won given the ineptitude of the higher command at times, but what is really upsetting, to me anyway, is wondering just how many lives were lost in actions that really had no effect on the eventual outcome of the war!

Eastwest Loco
13th Apr 2007, 11:43
Another brilliant and brave Airman has left us. God bless him and give him clearance all the way home.

It stuck me that Mrs Loco and I may have actually got something right at the Waverley RSL in Melbourne after the funeral for my father who was a LAME for the RAAF before TAA.

One son - the shortass 6'4" eldest boy was doing the rounds with food platters talking to neighbours and rels he had never met, but Casey - the 6"7.5" underachiever (not) was found in a circle of WW2 bomber command and crew totally wrapt in discussion. I did dally and was amazed at the depth and perception of the questions he was asking them and even more amazed with his ability to absorb and comment on the answers he was recieving. The old boys loved him and Daniel and Casey still stand amazed with what they did in Lancasters, Blenhiems, Beaufighters and the like.

Casey and Daniel were born airline brats and as such are tainted, but they do know who made their world the way it is today and waht sacrifices they made.

God bless you Bobby Gibbes. My life is significantly lessend for not having met you.

Clear two Bobby.

EWL

Torres
13th Apr 2007, 11:50
Bobby never spoke much of the Court Marshal but in later life thought it was a bit "of a giggle", although I think he was hurt inside. He did speak on the animosity between "the regulars" and the reserves called up or conscripted for the duration.

"Later, after I submitted an application requesting my discharge from the Air Force, I was informed by the Air Commodore that Caldwell had written an unfavourable report on my administrative ability. I was never shown this document or informed by Clive that he had done this, and I am rather of the opinion this information was given to me in an endeavour to persuade me to withdraw my application for the termination of commission. I find it hard to understand why Clive would have written such a report.........

I doubt that Clive knew enough of my administrative experience to make any adverse comments, and if he had in fact done this, I am unable to fathom what his motives would have been. I never did discuss the matter with him. I have a great regard for Caldwell and we have remained good friends. While he was undergoing court-marshal, I tried to help by writing an article which was given full front page coverage in the Sunday Telegraph, Feb 10, 1945 and was headed "Tribute to Caldwell. There's no Glamour in in Air Warfare". Too bloody true."

And

"I have often wondered why two highly decorated wartime officers were dealt with so harshly. Was it possibly because we had achieved greater success than most permanent officers and this had caused resentment among some who, perhaps through lack of opportunity, has achieved absolutely nothing."

Torres
13th Apr 2007, 12:05
EWL. If your sons are 6'4" and 6"7.5", they'd need a bloody long distance phone to communicate with Gibbsie.

Even I tower over him - in high heels I doubt he'd top 5' 4"!! :}

Eastwest Loco
13th Apr 2007, 12:24
Yes Torres, they may have been way over him but have you ever seen a younger large puppy dog defer to a smaller old puppy dog?

It was so good to see the boys pay due deference to their gbetter/forefathers/heroes. Respect is not automatic, but in this case it was earned and acknowledged.

Casey at his immese height was hunkering down in his seat to be at the same level as they chatted.

He got just a hint of the moments of pure terror they went through, and a good sense of the tense nothingness at other times.

We must make sure that the legacy of these amazing men is never lost.

They are fading fast.

EWL

The Messiah
14th Apr 2007, 07:39
The ghost squadron has another member, and it was our privilege to have known him.

RIP WGCDR Bobby Gibbes, DSO, DFC and Bar.

Torres
14th Apr 2007, 09:58
Yes Messiah. But did you know that with the Power of PPRuNe we got Bobby an Order of Australia a couple of years ago? That was "Bobby's Gong" - at last Australia's recognised his achievements.

And did you know that for this escapade (http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/bgrescue.htm), Bobby was nominated for a Victoria Cross, but the Poms rejected the nomination because at that time in the war, no RAF pilot had been awarded the VC?

And then he was Court Marshalled for flogging a few bottles of booze. Mind you, later in life he became a publican and made an art form of flogging booze - and consuming a fair amount of the profits! :}

PA39
14th Apr 2007, 10:11
A great airman and a great bloke. An absolute asset and icon to Australia and the aviation Industry.Sadly we're slowly depleting our stocks of these fellas.

An honour to have met the man.

Big Dog 2
14th Apr 2007, 12:05
Sad day for Australian aviation I only meet Bobby and his wife once in Darwin doing a joyflight over Kakado,
He took the time to talk to me when I was just getting in to flying and his stories enthralled me.

Especialy the ME109 he captured in North Africa
and used to train his troops. Until the RAF
Comandeared it.

A friend mine now owns his Cri Cri.

chimbu
15th Apr 2007, 01:36
One dark and rainy 7am at the old Lae airport, everyone assembled awaiting the arrival of the big fella Balus. Poor communications in the late sixties’ meant we knew nothing except that it had left Sydney the night before. The airport manager, traffic staff, cargo boys resplendent in white lap-laps were lined up ceremoniously as they did in those days. Passengers in the terminal waiting to go south. Suddenly the Electra was sighted through the mist over the Tanu Maru and plonked down on the piano keys, ground fine selected, the huge (for those days) aircraft disappearing down the runway in deafening roar and a sea of spray. It pulled up in front of the terminal discharging passengers and crew. From the other direction meanwhile a tiny twin Comanche popped out beneath the low cloud over the Markham. It landed, taxied and parked beneath the left wing of the Electra. Out gets Bobby, puffing on a cigar, unloads bags and family, directs them to the terminal for check in, jumps back in, taxies away to the park. Rejoins them in the terminal for the farewells.
Panache sadly long since gone from aviation.
Vale Bobby

Captain Gerry
15th Apr 2007, 01:36
RIP Bobby Gibbes.

The first RAF VC was awarded in 1940 so there may have been another reason for the non issue of a VC in this instance. It was certainly an act which could have warranted the award of the VC.

Mr_Grubby
15th Apr 2007, 15:55
I think Bobby never got the heros recognition here in the UK that he deserved.

RIP

Clint. Gurry
England.

Magoodotcom
16th Apr 2007, 21:43
A four-ship 3SQN Hornet and Temora Spitfire flypasts are scheduled for today between 1245 and 1330 over North Sydney.

A fitting tribute.:D

RIP WGCDR Gibbes.

Magoo

Torres
17th Apr 2007, 08:05
Farewell old mate. Sorry I couldn't make the final gig but I'll be raising a coldie to you this evening.

And thanks for enriching my life over the past forty years! :ok:

Fair skies, safe trip and regards to Junior and Blackjack!

Bob

tail wheel
17th Apr 2007, 08:09
Spitfire over Sydney? (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=272281)

Pinky the pilot
17th Apr 2007, 08:10
There is going to be one heck of a party in the Fighter Pilot's Valhalla tonight!!:ok: :ok:

RIP WGCDR Gibbes

Bob Murphie
17th Apr 2007, 08:24
Torres is a loud echo of my sentiments.

One day, Bob I'll tell you about my association (as small but significant as it is) with this Gentleman.

Good show Pprune people.

Torres
17th Apr 2007, 09:09
Bob. Most of my associations with that gentleman had the inevitable conclusion.

A healthy hangover!

He defies physics. Dunno how such a small guy could hold somuch grog! :D

:}

Bob Murphie
17th Apr 2007, 10:36
There was always a lot of drinking in them days, however being a poor airport brat I wasn't an imbiber. Many a hairy ride home with the elders however after RAC NSW kicked them out. I even remember the old pox hospital wing accommodation when driving me home was beyond anybody of any superhuman note.
One Brian Walker had the plebs intoixicated with his tale of a trip to Essendon in a Piaggio when ice or a shut down donk had him in the back kicking the (live) chickens in cages to get them to flap their wings so he could stay airborne.
What bull$hit artists, and what men, and what memories!
;)

Torres
17th Apr 2007, 11:35
Blackjack and bull$hit. Scotch and water. Gin and tonic. Pasta and sauce.

I think you get my drift........... :}

I guess there was a reasonable amount of drinking, but unlike the present day, they were very social occasions with a large group of good mates. A time to shoot the breeze. Swap ever more unlikely, unbelievable and incredible stories. Problem was, most of the stories were true. :E

tanglewood
18th Apr 2007, 00:49
I don't suppose anyone captured any footage of the flypast for those of us who were unable to be there to pay respects?

tinpis
18th Apr 2007, 00:53
Did Col or the Temora mob ever give Bobby a jolly in a P-40 ?

tanglewood
18th Apr 2007, 00:58
Not qute an answer to my own question, but there is a moving tribute at

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200704/r138086_470835.asx

Tarkeeth
18th Apr 2007, 01:37
I was based at the Madang strip in 1956, Gibbs in Noseman and Blackjack in Ju52 arrive to demo to DCA types Landing and MTOW T/Os to clear 50 ft with certified field length, using 44G drums to mark distances.
From memory 3 T/Os and landings had to be done or it was loss of license for the Noseman. After several attempts failed, lunch was "on" in the DCA Mess.

During the lunch certain " gentlemen " were seen repositioning drums.

After lunch despite midday heat Glbbs flew the A/C and had no problem !!!!!

Cheers.

Whiskey Oscar Golf
18th Apr 2007, 02:09
Torres thanks for the link to the story, kids should learn about diggers like that in school. Does anyone know the publisher of WGCDR Gibbes book or how I can get hold of one. I would love to read more about him and his mates, then hand it to my children later to show them what hero's are.
RIP
WGCDR Gibbes

Animalclub
18th Apr 2007, 04:50
Wasn't it Bobby's taxiing Norseman the cut a beautiful circular hole out of the rear end of a VW at Goroka... the VW had just been unloaded from a Bristol Freighter.

I could be wrong but it was a funny and scary sight.

Torres
18th Apr 2007, 06:33
Tarkeeth - Lapun!! :} :} That was around the time Bobby was being hassled by DCA for English translations of the JU52 POH and manuals.

WOG. Sorry, Bobby self published his autobiography and I know he ran out of copies at least two years ago. I have my signed copy, under lock and key!!

May suggest to the family they do a re-print???

Animal. Knew about the VW at Goroka but can't recall who did it.

chimbu warrior
27th Apr 2007, 01:36
A nice obituary published in The Australian today (Friday 27th), albeit with a couple of factual errors.

tinpis
27th Apr 2007, 06:50
Was there ever any truth in the story that" Poppa" Rausch was with the sausage-side in the desert at the same time Bobby was there?
I believe he was with Hans-Joachim Marseilles squadron (http://www.finn.it/regia/immagini/alleati/bf109-f4-marseilles.jpg)

Torres
27th Apr 2007, 09:15
I knew Poppa and Momma Raasch. I guess Poppa died at least 20 years ago. He was a brilliant engineer and finished his career with Hawkers, after being sacked by Junior. Welcome to the Club!!! :}

Bobby employed him to go to Bromma, Sweden in 1956 to get the JU52/3m's serviceable. Poppa said he was with the Luftwaffe right through the fracas when they came second, but never mentioned if he was in North Africa the same time as Bobby.

Poppa was a gentleman, a wonderful guy and an absolutely brilliant engineer.

Feather #3
27th Apr 2007, 10:05
Paul told me he was working on JU-87's throughout the Italian campaign.

I used to love his favourite phrase; "Don't fix zee aeroplane! Change zee pilot!!"

A great guy!

G'day ;)

kentsboro
27th Apr 2007, 14:52
I've been trying to get a copy of his book - can anyone help please.

Tony

tinpis
27th Apr 2007, 19:55
I had a copy of Sepik Pilot signed by Bobby , Jim Sinclair and Hellyadore von Tschushnigg

Whoever borrowed it please give it back :mad:

Torres
27th Apr 2007, 20:15
kentsboro. If you are talking about Bobby's autobiography "You Live But Once" I'm sorry, you are out of luck. Bobby privately funded the publication in very limited numbers and it sold out some years ago. I have a personal signed copy.

I suggested to his family they try to locate the manuscript with a view to a soft cover reprint.

Tinpis. I know where there may be a copy of Jim Sinclair's "Sepik Pilot" which may be available. Contact me.

LewC
28th Apr 2007, 00:45
Copies of "Sepik Pilot" can be purchased through www.abebooks.com.Prices range from $US25 to $US63 + postage.They are currently showing fourteen copies available from various suppliers mostly located in Australia.

Marty Grove
2nd May 2007, 17:18
In the early 1980's I was returning home to Dee Why after having been surfing at Collaroy beach. It was a beautiful day and as I was very fit and healthy, decided to walk along the beachfront all the way.

Ahead of me in Fishermans Cove (the northern side of Long Reef) was an older thickset man fishing. Being a chatty sort of bloke I stopped and made some comment or other about the day and one thing led to another and I was invited in for a cuppa to the house just behind us on the beachfront.

This was Bobby Gibbes's place. He regaled me with fascinating moments from his life, and I was a bit nonplussed that this man of many adventures was unknown to me although I was gaining the idea the gentleman carried some fame.

In the course of our chat I let slip that I was interested in antiquities and old objet de art and immediately Bobby flashed his amazing toothy grin and said 'Come and have a look in here!'.

The 'here' was a downstairs room completely filled with wonderful old artifacts. Bobby told me that he had taken them in payment for some debt or other and had had them for many years, and was I interested in buying them?

Bobby then went on to say that it was imperitive the pieces were moved out of the room because it was where he intended to put the odds and ends of the upper living room where he intended to build an aircraft!

I thought he was joking and laughingly suggested that couldnt be right, the room in which he intended to build the aircraft was upstairs facing the road, and certainly did not seem large enough to be where one might build an aeroplane.

He laughed and said that when the aircraft was completed he could easily take the front wall off to remove it! I wasnt to know that this was just the sort of 'can do' which characterised Bobby Gibbes's view on life.

The upshot of my visit was that I immediately went and saw a friend of mine, Rene, who also lived in Collaroy and was a fellow collector of old things, and described to him the fantastic array of things I had seen, and was he interested in going partners with me to purchase them.

Rene rang Bobby and made a time for he and I together to go and look at the collection, which we subsequently did, taking the whole collection off Bobby's hands and giving him the required room to organise for his intended build of the acrobatic aircraft.

At the time of my running into Bobby Gibbes on Fishermans Cove I was only on holidays from my mining ventures in central Queensland, to which I quickly returned, and did not see Bobby Gibbes again, although I from that time on, endeavoured to find out as much as I could about this fascinating character who had delivered to Rene and I some super aquisitions.

Needless to say, there was plenty to find out, and I am so pleased that I had to opportunity to briefly speak with an icon of Australian flight.

Vale Bobby Gibbes - you were a heck of a man.

Regards,
Marty.

tinpis
7th Oct 2009, 01:12
Was just browsing this thread and wondered... The 'here' was a downstairs room completely filled with wonderful old artifa]cts. Bobby told me that he had taken them in payment for some debt or other and had had them for many years, and was I interested in buying them? ...what those things may have been and if some had once belonged to Herr Hitler :rolleyes:

James4th
7th Oct 2009, 19:51
For those who want a copy of his book try <abebooks.com> and follow the prompts .....

manderson
7th Sep 2013, 00:04
I met Bobby only once shortly before he passed away. I was visiting my aunt Anne Cawthray on Collaroy plateau when Bobby suddenly arrived bustling with excitement as he had just completed his book and he wanted her to read it immediately. The two were old friends from her brothers Hugh, Neville and Geoff Hemsworth who were all early pilots (a story in themselves) .

I had flown for some time in PNG and we immediately had a common ground resulting in over an hour of engrossing conversation. Unfortunately there were no spare copies available but I was privileged to an all too brief review.

Although this was an incidental encounter I always remember his dynamic energy even at that age.