View Full Version : Caravan Wage / Award.

novicef
11th Apr 2007, 12:09
Is my interpretation of the Caravan salary correct? It’s just that a friend of mine is flying a Caravan and an Islander on scheduled services based on Horn Island being paid a wage of $33,000.

According to my interpretation of the award:

Base Salary. 32,955
Turbo Prop Allowance. 4,609
Instrument Rating 4,234
Total Wage. $ 41,798

If it’s regular Services (RPT) An Additional $1059.

Total Wage. $42,857.

Or does Queensland operate on a different system ???

trolleydriver
11th Apr 2007, 13:32

I lived in an aboriginal community flying a 206 and only got around 25k :sad:

I would have gladly exchanged it for a c208......:p and i wouldn't have needed a pay rise.......:}

The old story, if they are willing to do it for 33k, then they only have themselves to blame :ugh:

Torres
11th Apr 2007, 20:42
novicef. Your Award calculation appears correct. Seven years ago the then Caravan operator at HID was paying $42,000 pa, the Award rate.

For interest, is your mate operating the C208 on RPT operations into all strips in the Straits?

scrambler
11th Apr 2007, 22:11
Your mate should join the AFAP and then ask them if he is on the corect rate.

tobzalp
11th Apr 2007, 23:30
Work Choices

novicef
11th Apr 2007, 23:40
So the Award is a waste of time, how is it that my friend can be underpaid by such an amount.

The question I ask again do operators in Qld need to pay the Award or is there some minimum wage that can overshadow the Award. If that is the case why bother joining the AFAP if they can't enforce what is going on and enforce a proper wage being paid.

Bendo
11th Apr 2007, 23:59
Novice,

The flip side is this: if your mate ISN'T a member of the AFAP, then the AFAP can't help :ugh:

I have only called on the AFAP for advice once, thankfully, but they were very willing to help and took a real interest in the way things progressed.

It's worth it to have someone in your corner :ok:

The AFAP would also be able to answer all these questions for your friend ... definitively, rather than guessing like most of us bush lawyers :oh:

scrambler
12th Apr 2007, 00:08
The union is about unity of employees.
The award is only a waste of time because too many pilots are prepared to work for less than the award. Amazing how many will complain about the lack of wages and poor conditions but still sell themselves short.

I do know tht the AFAP have taken places to task and achieved retro pay even after pilots have left the company.

I would suggest that your mate should join the AFAP, find out his real award rate then appoach his employee. If his employee doesnt come to the party then he should bring the AFAP in.

Of course the other option is to just sit back and complain about the lack of pay. keep us all getting screwed. :ugh:

Torres
12th Apr 2007, 00:10
So the Award is a waste of time,....
No.

....how is it that my friend can be underpaid by such an amount.
Because he accepted the position on a wage which was less than his entitlement. Why doesn't he ask Rick that question???

The question I ask again do operators in Qld need to pay the Award?
Yes. Or an AWA which passes the no disadvantage test (i.e. is comparable to the Award.)

Why ask here when he has a legal entitlement and should be asking his employer?

RUMBEAR
12th Apr 2007, 00:21
G'Day Novicef,

You figures look reasonablly accurate as to the federal GA pilots award. There are some people out there (especially employers) who believe Queensland state awards have precedence over the federal award, especially when the state award costs them less. I personnally have heard both sides of the argument and would need a lawyer to make sense of it all.

The other point I would like to bring attention to is the fact that some operators pay a total package, which in this case could very well add up to about $42k. Which after provisions for accomodation (which is very expensive on Horn Island) and training the amount left over is $33,000.
Without getting into whether this is right or wrong, the individual in question has obviously accepted the terms and conditions of employment, no point complaining about it now!!!!!

The time to negotiate is before commencing employment.

Cheers :ok:

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
12th Apr 2007, 03:56
Unless this particular QLD operator is a signatory to the AFAP award, the AFAP award does not apply ( which it was not last time i saw a copy of annex A of this award ).

Being a member of the AFAP will not help you obtain this salary. Historically they have offered loss of license insurance and legal representation if required ( it has been suggested that this representation is at times selective ).

The AFAP award was not common law in QLD last time i checked, ring QLD IR, they will fill you in.

Now to sound like a broken record, if the AFAP were serious about GA, QLD is one of the non compliant states to the AFAP Award, i wonder if this will ever change ?.

Ejector
12th Apr 2007, 04:42
Who is the operator?:yuk:

Dookie on Drums
12th Apr 2007, 08:22
Sounds like Aerotropics to me.

forgetabowdit
12th Apr 2007, 12:20
Novicef,

frankly, your figures are wrong and are incorrectly incriminating. Id suggest that 33k is the base TO WHICH the extra's as per the award are ADDED. you may well find that the 33K INCLUDES accomodation, power, etc etc, and then the others like turbine, rpt, ifr etc are ADDED.

I know of a particular operator in the Strait who fits yr discription (and only one :p), and your details are wrong.

It'd be wise not to start debate on conditions that are not correct especially when you clearly imply who the operator is. Not really fair ya know mate.

Anyway, just my two cents...

Forgetabowdit

C152R
13th Apr 2007, 00:37
Read the post, The base and allowances are accurate as per the award. If the allowances are added to the base where they apply that's great.

Erin Brockovich
13th Apr 2007, 02:09
Easy Tiger.

Forgetabowdit, frankly, Novicef’s quoted figures from the award are ‘correctly incriminating’.

I don’t know the operator or the industry up there – but as a minimum, someone on a Caravan should be on a Base Salary of $32,955 plus a Turbo Prop Allowance of $4,609. $37500 in total, and that’s just for smashing around VFR non RPT.

The award doesn’t make any provisions for operators providing accommodation and power. Frankly, I think that is the least they can do considering the location. But if they didn’t, then that wouldn’t affect the required remuneration either.

There is no debate on T & Cs because that is the award. ‘Not really fair’ for the pilots not to be paid properly.

My two cents worth…….minus accommodation and power.

forgetabowdit
13th Apr 2007, 08:27
I wasn't clear in my post. I have an issue with the figures posted by novicef and the subsequent implication that a 'certain' operator is screwing people out of their dues.

The implications of the initial post seemed pretty clear to me... It was stated that his/her mates salary was $33k and then went on to ask about the other additions as if they were not included to the total package in the mates case.
Obviously people should be paid the full award. The point of my post was to point out that Novices figures are wrong in the sense that she/he implys that the certain operator does not pay the allowances. I think you will find that a certain operator pays a base salary similar (higher actually) than what was quoted. The other allowances are then ADDED. These include turbine, RPT, twin enigine IFR and other training and checking allowances if applicable. Accomodation as I understand is included along with power and transport.

My issue is that we harp on about operators that DO NOT pay appropriately, and so we should. However in my opinion we should not encourage roumers that discredit those opertators that pay the award and have good staff relations. People have been quick to assume that Novicef's figures are accurate and therefor people form judgements that are incorrect.
It's not even a legal requirement to pay the GA award in QLD, now THATS another issue all together.
Forgetabowdit

novicef
13th Apr 2007, 09:55
Firstly get my gender right. My friend who is now working elsewhere mentioned the $33,000 nothing else, he could have have been paid other allowances. If the other allowances were paid then nobody has anything to complain about and I applaud the operator for doing so.

My initial post was to confirm my interpretation of the Award which appears to be correct.