PDA

View Full Version : REX to cease Olympic Damp

bentandtwisted
11th Apr 2007, 05:49
From the REX web site;

Regional Express to cease Olympic Dam services from 2 July 2007.
Wednesday, 11 April 2007

Regional Express (Rex) will discontinue its regular airline services between Adelaide and Olympic Dam from 2 July 2007.

Rex’s decision is the result of the awarding of a contract by BHP Billiton to a charter operator to provide air services on the route.

Rex’s Managing Director, Geoff Breust, said that BHP Billiton as the owner of the airport and the owner operator of the Olympic Dam mining operation, determined who would provide the services.

From today Rex would cease taking bookings for Olympic Dam services for travel on/after 2 July 2007 but would maintain its full scheduled airline services and charter services in the meantime.

“While we are disappointed that we will not be operating our airline services to Olympic Dam post July, we are very proud of the fine record that Rex and Kendell Airlines before it has in providing a very effective service to Olympic Dam for over twenty years. During that period we have assisted greatly in the development of both the mine and the local community. We wish the local community well.”

So who won the contract?

superG3
11th Apr 2007, 06:40
Alliance apparently, F50's

bentandtwisted
12th Apr 2007, 03:06
Just found this on another forum;

Just announced that Alliance are the successful tenderers...

They start on June 18th using the Fokker 50s VH-FKY and VH-FKZ.

4 return flights per day, subject to CASA approval

Looks like they are the winners!

apacau
14th Apr 2007, 02:41
Interesting stuff: 4x daily return to OLP requires only 1x F50

The details coming out are suggesting both F50s to be ADL based and the ad in the Friday Australian spoke of F100 activity at the ADL base as well (only advertising for F50 crew though).

Ie: what other work has Alliance secured or hopes to secure ex ADL? There is the Moomba and associated gasfields operation run by NJS with 146s, but apart from that I'm not aware of other fly-in, fly-out contracts??

Also, with the supposed link-up with DJ, is there scope for further such cooperation on mining routes where Alliance have the contract? Certainly benefical for any nearby communities...

Finally, where will they park? The Rex apron (closest to DJ operations) is chokkas, I doubt the F50s are able to use the aerobridges and I thought the other regional apron (used by O'Connors and overflow Rex etc) didn't suit larger prop aircraft?

sinala1
14th Apr 2007, 13:53
Heard a rumour that it is still RPT but it will be a partnership with DJ,
QQ are using DJ gates & check in space @ BNE now - so there is already some form of communication happening between the 2 airlines... so its a possibility that DJ are at least providing the same at ADL.

Howard Hughes
14th Apr 2007, 22:12
The Rex apron (closest to DJ operations) is chokkas, I doubt the F50s are able to use the aerobridges and I thought the other regional apron (used by O'Connors and overflow Rex etc) didn't suit larger prop aircraft?Two bays at the opposite end of the terminal were resized for DHC-8 sized aircraft when Qantaslink operated in Adelaide, suspect the F-50 may fit on those bays!:ok:

apacau
22nd May 2007, 06:34
Flights on sale now through Virgin Blue with DJ flight numbers - starting at $79