PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Impairment in Medicals !

Zenj
10th Apr 2007, 20:07
Hi

My 13 year old son has just been found that his one ear can not listen completely to any sound, its 100% dead.

This is a boy who has always wished to be a pilot like his dad, knows a lot of stuff about flying, apart from future inventions, what are the guidelines as to how perfect is one supposed to be to pass his medicals as far as hearing is concerned.

He is in school and no one knows of his problems and he is OK with one ear for now when in school or at home.

Zenj

Boyscout
10th Apr 2007, 22:46
Hey Zenj

Sorry to hear about your son, it all seems terrible but the more information you get, the more you can formulate a plan of attack re his career. There is heaps of info in the Medical & Health section of this forum, with links to the RSA website etc. I know in Aus that if you fail the initial test CASA are very reasonable re the next step- an 'operational test' to check recognition in an aircraft environment. I am not sure regarding one ear totally deaf, but do a google on it & there are some drugs mentioned that can be used when all appears lost (I am a pilot, not a Doctor). I have done a few dodgy tests in my time & a second opinion often indicates no dramas.

I flew with someone the other day with a pacemaker too so we have come a long way medically & will continue to. The only restriction is they must fly with a copilot (not a problem unless you are trying to get your hours up).

Good luck with it. I hope this hurdle is an easy one to get over for ya.

BS :ok: