PDA

View Full Version : Shame on the BBC!

Ali Barber
10th Apr 2007, 19:52
No good or positive news about the war in Iraq allowed!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=WI3SR0F2OVUHXQFIQMFSFGGAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/news/2007/04/08/wiraq308.xml

Klingon
10th Apr 2007, 21:07
The days of Audy Murphy Biopics are over!

The BBC is full of left wing cross dressing liberals whose only purpose is to denegrate and dismantle the traditional way of life in this country in the name of multi-culturism and inclusivity.

Since leaving the RAF I am now employed in a job which takes me into ordinary working class homes. I am constantly, and freely, informed by the great british unwashed that they are sick of being told that choice and diversity are good and we should be worshipping at the feet of those who wish to rob/beat/murder or deprive us of out long standing freedoms. Before you start to label me a fascist, some of those of whome I speak are first generation immigrants who came to this country in the sixties believing in the values of a country which they had respected but in which they now live in fear.

If our institutions aren't going to set an example of moderation and balance then how are we going to expect future generations to behave. The BBC, along with much of the mainstream media, has forfeited the right to represent the views of this country and its culture and are pressing us into sleepwalking towards ultra-right wing politics.

Hug a Hoodie! Anti-homophobic laws that gag religious beliefs and unsubstantiated statistics which promote stealth tax policies masquarading as global warming scare tactics. The politicians and the media need to begin to act more responsibly if we are going to be led away from the chasm.

Come on BBC! Whats wrong with a bit of flag waving; for heavens sake the VC story is fertile ground to demonstrate that we are all one colour under the skin and good old fashioned bravery and honour are values to be promoted and applauded. Are they frightened to discover that those nasty rough boys in the military are a true "Band of Brothers" who prefer the honest and robust military way of life than the Nirvana fantasies espoused by the gob****e journos and drama queens of our premier broadcasting service. :*

samuraimatt
10th Apr 2007, 21:23
Maybe you should write to Terry at the Beeb and get yourself onto points of view klingon.

ProfessionalStudent
10th Apr 2007, 21:25
Don't forget to start your post with "Why, oh why, oh why...?"

Mal Drop
10th Apr 2007, 21:28
Words fail me...

Not the BBC thing.

The post above.

"Since leaving the RAF I am now employed in a job which takes me into ordinary working class homes."

Seriously, have you considered a career in politics?

An Teallach
10th Apr 2007, 21:28
Since leaving the RAF I am now employed in a job which takes me into ordinary working class homes.

He's a burglar.

And comes across as a BNP astroturfer.

ProfessionalStudent
10th Apr 2007, 21:31
By working class, I take it you mean they have Sky TV?

samuraimatt
10th Apr 2007, 21:32
If they were posh they would have cable.

Mal Drop
10th Apr 2007, 21:33
Bless you for that...

I'll no doubt see him in Trowbridge next week selling Wiltshire Sports-Casual apparel of dubious provenance while I'm off to take the waters at the dead swanky Hotel Splendide (double with bath and views of the common folk dontchaknow).

tablet_eraser
10th Apr 2007, 22:08
Anti-homophobic laws that gag religious beliefs
Whatever the subtext about freedom of speech, are you suggesting that anti-homophobic laws are inherently a bad thing? The laws do not gag religious belief; what they do is try (clumsily and illiberally, I grant you) to prevent discrimination. Is that such a bad thing?

GreenKnight121
11th Apr 2007, 00:52
And any Religious belief/instruction which teaches that the Old Testament ban on homosexual acts is Divine Commandment (and therefore to be obeyed) is considered Discriminatory, and therefore to be forbidden.

How is that NOT a coersion and suppression of religious freedom?

brickhistory
11th Apr 2007, 01:51
I'd hate to introduce any small, furry rodent analogy into this rapidly degenerating thread, but hasn't this hamster been exercised enough?

tablet_eraser
11th Apr 2007, 08:54
I'd hate to introduce any small, furry rodent analogy into this rapidly degenerating thread, but hasn't this hamster been exercised enough?

Quite. I'm not going to get into a battle of wits with people who aren't armed.

threepointonefour
11th Apr 2007, 09:15
Words fail me...

Not me.

This country is f****d. This story is a national disgrace and just plain wrong.

boogie-nicey
11th Apr 2007, 09:23
Klingon speaks the truth especially with regards to first generation immigrants such as my parents who came from India and respected the values of the UK at that time. As a community I constantly overhear the expression of despair by many second generation British Indians as everyone in this country is robbed and bled dry by this government though the word regime would be somewhat more applicable :* Coupled with a departure of social mannerisms, professional conduct, self control and responsibility it makes me and many others like me hold their head in despair.
As for the BBC I couldn't agree with you more, they are indeed so far left they make the miners look neutral. I for one am getting increasingly frustrated with the self serving antics of the BBC especially when it's at the expense of their strategic aims for their 'public'. I doubt there's much education, informing and except for 'Life on Mars' little in the way of ground breaking entertainment. Therefore it really has become an organisation that is clearly playing to itself and it's small inner circle rather than to a wider audience to whom it's ultimately responsible. However until a counter balance in the form of a resurgent ITV or channel 4 takes shape (miracles are possible :E ) then the BBC will continue to set it's own terms and consequently interpretations on events such as Iraq and Afganistan. The scewed form of reporting is further illustrated when one of their journalists is kidnapped compared to the ignorance of anything else which might be more relevant but dismissed by the BBC because it doesn't serve it's own agenda.

cornish-stormrider
11th Apr 2007, 09:37
If the BBC wish to pull the plug on a documentary I want to see then I want to pull the plug on the outrageous fee they foist upon us in the guise of a license. A pox on these cross dressing liberals I say!!!

GANNET FAN
11th Apr 2007, 09:53
Boogie nicey, very elonquently put!

An Teallach
11th Apr 2007, 10:18
I'm afraid I don't find Boogie Nicey's contribution eloquently put. The quality of the English is actually rather poor. Furthermore, he misses the point by following Klingon's fifties family values agenda when the actual question at hand is the BBC's inability to see the perfectly acceptable dichotomy that there can be laudable individual acts of extreme courage worthy of dramatisation even in a war of dubious overall value or legality.

The BBC's position that the war (and everyone's part in it) must be seen as all bad is just plain wrong. However, the cause is not advanced by puerile rants applauding homophobia and calling people cross-dressers. The courage and dignity of Pte Johnson Beharry VC is worth more than some of the demeaning ranting going on here.

cornish-stormrider
11th Apr 2007, 10:35
I didn't accuse anyone of being homosexual. Thier sexual orientation matters not to me. Their enforcement of of this absurd con of money out of me for absolutley nothing is highly offensive. TV should be market driven, if you want it you pay for it....

and yes it is my opinion that the BBC is full of cross dressing liberals that foist cr4p television onto me. I frequently exercise my right to switch it off. I cannot own one however without being forced to pay a yearly subscription to something I do not watch or want to watch

elf
11th Apr 2007, 14:39
My wife accused me of being a cross dresser this morning.
She had a point.
I couldn't find my socks, or my shirt or my blasted trousers.

tablet_eraser
11th Apr 2007, 15:30
I didn't accuse anyone of being homosexual. Thier sexual orientation matters not to me. Their enforcement of of this absurd con of money out of me for absolutley nothing is highly offensive. TV should be market driven, if you want it you pay for it....

I wouldn't worry; I think most ire in this thread that isn't directed at the BBC is directed at Klingon's Colonel Blimp turn.

I find the idea of cross-dressing BBC employees amusing, though. I always thought Moira Stewart would be better off in a suit, but the idea of Jeremy Paxman in a miniskirt and boob tube makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a toothpick.

BillHicksRules
11th Apr 2007, 15:44
Cornish,

“TV should be market driven, if you want it you pay for it.”

It is.

You want a TV you have to pay for the privilege.

What the government then choose to do with the money you give them is up to them.

You do not like that then you are free to avail yourself of the democratic process.

Then again it is far easier to rant than to stand.

I pay taxes and do you think I agree with everything the useless tossers in charge spend it on?

I pay National Insurance but have both Private Healthcare and a Private Pension

What many people do not realise is that only 75% of the BBC’s income is from the Licence Fee. Furthermore, there is no mention when discussing the Licence Fee, on the fact that Channel 4 is having all the costs of its digital switchover met from the Licence Fee.

The BBC has to survive for the good of the UK as a whole.

Cheers

Chugalug2
11th Apr 2007, 15:54
BillHicksRules said:The BBC has to survive for the good of the UK as a whole
Why? Please explain.

BillHicksRules
11th Apr 2007, 16:25
Chugalug,

To put it very simply, because it is the last place, in the UK, that has any semblance of freedom of the press.

Furthermore, they make shows that need to be made but would not make it past the money men and advertisers on the commercial stations.

Before you respond please remember that this is purely a matter of opinion on all sides since there is no empirical measure that any of us can use for the sake of comparison.

Cheers

BHR

Chugalug2
11th Apr 2007, 17:48
BHR, thank you for your explanation as to why "the BBC has to survive for the good of the UK". As you so rightly say it is all a matter of opinion. With great respect, I'm afraid I find your reasons falling short of your stirring statement.
Freedom of the Press is like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. You may well discount all the other broadcasters, newspapers and other media because, I presume, they are in the main commercial enterprises answerable to their owners, barons or shareholders alike. They are also answerable to their subscribers (readers, watchers, listeners), who are either lemmings being directed by these monsters, or people who respond positively to their chosen station or paper or exercise their right to choose and go elsewhere. You may disagree with their opinions, but would you defend their right to them, to the death?
The BBC on the contrary is "owned" by us all, and thus in reality by no-one. So no shareholders or barons? I would opine (there it is again!) that the vacuum has been filled from within the organisation by those who have created an agenda which is well left of the incumbent government, let alone the opposition. And the consumers of its output have uniquely no choice. Pay-up whether you listen or watch or not, or be fined or go to prison!
And now, a word for our moderators! What has all this to do with military aviation? Simply that all BBC coverage is subject to that agenda. The BBC has little interest or understanding of the military, seeing it in terms of any other enterprise in the UK, and a somewhat disreputable one at that. I was once accused of being a paid mercenary (by a teacher, I must admit, but reflecting the ethos of the Hampstead Thinkers). So coverage is not of our troops, but "British troops". Ironic when you think of their own title. Coverage of the Nimrod disaster was preceeded by speculation that it was probably a Hercules or Chinook that had crashed, causing needless anguish to families in the UK (and even worse, false hope to those about to be devastated). I had personal experience of the Beeb's ways when we lost a Herc at Fairford. Within two hours the Beeb had pushed out the news on the evening bulletin, despite urgent pleas to hold it over to the later one (as agreed by the commercial channel!) while the next of kin were informed. They were informed all right!
As to "shows" if you mean the costume dramas, yes very good. I have always tried to support heaving bosoms! But the cost in this case is far, far too great. Only my opinion of course!

akula
11th Apr 2007, 19:00
BHR
What many people do not realise is that only 75% of the BBC’s income is from the Licence Fee.
Just where does the other 25% come from? If you try to tell me through the sale of DVD's ect. then surely the licence payer has already paid for the production of said shows.
ALWAYS assume NEVER check

boogie-nicey
12th Apr 2007, 13:52
Well said Chugalug2

parabellum
12th Apr 2007, 23:40
" since there is no empirical measure that any of us can use for the sake of comparison."

Not so BHR, not so at all in fact, many of us are old enough to be able to compare the BBC of to-day with the BBC of old and do so quite objectively - without being too eloquent, what we see to-day is a whole load of left leaning crap compared to a centre position of yesteryear, simple as that.