PDA

View Full Version : PPL - GLF5 How to get there?

SENFLYER
10th Apr 2007, 18:47
PPL underway and ultimate aim is G550 or similar, would appreciate ideas on best way to get there with future employment in mind.... My thoughts so far PPL, IR, NR, TWIN, CPL then?? ATPL then type rating?? or CPL/IR then type rating?? (Self improver route for me i'm afraid) :confused:

falconfreak
10th Apr 2007, 21:49
Your thoughts so far are not way out, just add big bag of money and crossed fingers. It has worked for many, why not you? Best of luck.:ok:

Flintstone
10th Apr 2007, 22:03
Might want to consider lowering your sights a little as far as the first type rating goes*.

Brand new wet ink licence and straight onto a G550?:hmm:

*let's not even start down the 'paying for type rating' route again

SENFLYER
11th Apr 2007, 13:27
Open for suggestions with regards to stepping stones to GLF but have to set sights somewhere :ok:

J32/41
11th Apr 2007, 15:09
Seneca-B200-CJ-Excel-Challenger or Falcon-Gulfstream. :oh:

SENFLYER
12th Apr 2007, 10:39
XL sounds like a good plan, think I will take that into consideration thanks :ok:

Crosswind Limits
12th Apr 2007, 13:55
I would suggest adding a flight instructor rating to your list prior to any kind of type rating. You need some flying experience as well as a list of ratings and corporate aviation is full of ex instructors! Most corporate jobs require at least 1000 hours total time even with a type rating although there are a few exceptions.

Good luck!

SENFLYER
12th Apr 2007, 14:05
Oracle of all knowledge one accepts information most gratefully. Thats the kind of info I need thanks :ok:

refplus20
13th Apr 2007, 00:18
Maybe look for a company that has a wide range of equipment, from Citation through to Gulfstream or Global. That way you can establish yourself with this company and progress through their fleet hopefully ending up in something likje a G550 or even a G650! I would hate to use the term loyalty with an aviation company because that works both ways, but just maybe you could find one that fits the bill and treats you with some consideration. :=

SENFLYER
13th Apr 2007, 07:34
Luckily I have found myself in a fortunate position were I may just be able to stay with one company (family friend and all that) and work my way through the a/c. I think its definatley worth going with the Instructors rating on the way through, although I pretty much have full daily access to an aircraft through my employer which I can fly for a nominal fee so that maybe the way to lots of hour building or maybe both..

potatowings
18th Apr 2007, 19:25
It is very important that you realise the direction you take after CPL training is important. Just do the same as all other CPL trainees do. You will almost certainly need experience for biz jets, so 1000 hrs instructing is essential, and if you can get it, maybe some parachute dropping to broaden your CV a bit, maybe some piston charter stuff.

Then although, aim high, you will need to look low, multi-engine piston charter flying, possible king air, followed by a small jet such as a CJ1 or 2, or a Lear maybe, then onto a mid size like an excel or Hawker 800, Falcon, then G550. That's be the typical route a GA pilot may take to achieve the goals you have. It'll take you a few steps to get to where you want to be. I flew two piston jobs before I got my first turbine job. It takes a while, especially in this side of the industry.

winkle
20th Apr 2007, 09:22
if you are shrewd enough to make buckets of dosh then aim for the seats in the back.
;)

Cypher
23rd Apr 2007, 03:24
Consider doing Flight Ops time in the office. It will help you get the bigger picture of things in the corporate world. Being a corporate pilot is much more than just flying an airplane. You also have to learn to manage the aircraft from maintenance, to rosters if you have them to even ordering and serving catering. You may have to arrange your own slots and diplomatic clearances and arrange your own handling. Certain ports also have certain requirements and it pays to know about them. Where would you find that information? As it's not always in the Jepps.

What better place to learn about all this, than in Flight Ops?

I did a year in flight ops before moving onto the aircraft. The days were long, the days off sparse but then again, this is corporate aviation.

I got my first jet job from being in flight ops. 1000 tt , 50 hours multi I/F, no turbine and into a Westwind II, in a region of the world where it is common for most people to get their first shot at a jet with 3000-4000 hours.

So it is possible, but you need to work hard and have a bit of luck.
:)

SENFLYER
23rd Apr 2007, 22:06
I already management in the Corporate side of aviation FBO, Airline and maintenance so I have good knowledge of ops, handling, maintenance and quite a few owner operator contacts too. So hopefully understand the market quite well. Thats the day job (and night for that matter). Glad to hear from someone else who's already done it :ok:

ericthepilot
24th Apr 2007, 15:41
:):)

lets see it went like this

move to USA

C172, C310, C340, C402, BE-90F, CE-500, LR-Jet, CL-600, HS-125, GLF-5, G550

12 years

somewhere in between married, divorced, nearly bankrupt and still want to be at the pointy end of the high speed metal testing ...

You can do it too. Hold on like a ... and enjoy the ride.
It was worth it up till now

:):)

Doodlebug
25th Apr 2007, 10:04
Senflyer,

Maybe one of the cargo-operators? Normally a lot of hours in a short space of time - important because to get onto something like a G550 the insurance will be specifying a good few thousand hours a least. Some or other kind of turboprop as opposed to piston - important because you want to be operating something as complex as possible, your future employer will like to see this kind of experience in your book. Also, this kind of flying often means a lot of night-flying, again, good experience.

Whilst it will be very tempting to take that right-seat offer on a Citation or a Hawker or whatever, bear in mind that you would be building hours relatively slowly, in that case. Usually 250 to 300ish a year. Freight-hauling will double that!

The very best of luck to you!

Bug