PDA

View Full Version : security lunacy spreading

daedalus
10th Apr 2007, 17:10
Just back from a trip to UK using car and fast ferry, partly because so fed up with airport foolishness.
On way back from Dover to Boulogne, after ticket and passport check, car was ushered into a covered bay where my wife and I were asked to get out. My 16 year old daughter was allowed to stay in the car.
I think they looked under the car with a mirror, which is sensible, but the security chap asked me to spread legs and arms and then patted me all over and asked if I had any sharp implements with me. "No" I lied (there was a razor and a nail clipper in the luggage).
The catamaran fast ferry carries maybe 100 cars and hundreds of pax and there is no access to the bridge. There is a crew of 23.
What did he imagine I would do with sharp implement???
Is the lunacy catching?:confused:

WHBM
10th Apr 2007, 17:27
Things like this have nothing to do with security as normal people understand it. It is the security industry, launched onto double-digit annual increases in revenue, who have become very adept in creating new ways to develop "products" and their own revenue.

They will have "sold" this to either the operator or a government department as being a solution to an imagined problem. There are billions of pounds sloshing around at present of your and my money (via the government) for security spending and an increasing number of companies eager to help spend it.

Rush2112
12th Apr 2007, 06:04
Damn, why didn't I see this chance? Has anyone started doing this for the trains yet??

Farmer 1
12th Apr 2007, 07:38
At what stage, exactly, did he ask you about the sharp objects, Daedalus?

There are certain people who think it's a good wheeze to carry contaminated needles etc. in their pockets so they can try to infect someone carrying out a body search.

Hotel Tango
12th Apr 2007, 08:19
I patted the girl friend down yesterday before she got into her car - all in the interest of national security I explained to her. :E

11Fan
12th Apr 2007, 15:51
HT,

Did you come across any suspicious bulges? ;) ;)

daedalus
16th Apr 2007, 13:40
He asked me as he was patting me down, but I had no sharp objects on me.
Contaminated needles? What kind of twisted lunatic would carry contaminated needles?

It's all so silly. Looking under the car for a bomb seems sensible enough, but on board there are knives, forks, all sorts of heavy and sharp objects and in the car a wheel brace and a jack - more than enough to do someone damage.

If they start doing this on commuter trains (given 7/7 on the underground) the system will cease to work at all.
:ugh:

BRUpax
16th Apr 2007, 14:51
What kind of twisted lunatic would carry contaminated needles?

Answer: Twisted lunatics high on drugs, that's who!

I think you must live a protected sort of life - very distant from that big ugly world out there.

daedalus
17th Apr 2007, 08:04
Brupax, 'tis true that I left the UK for the elysian fields of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg 25 years ago.

However, I'm no innocent. So, what you are suggesting is that I, a lunatic drug addict and obviously middle-class, rather overweight 58 year old dressed by M&S driving a diesel Fiat Multipla containing a matronly wife of 56 and a 16 year old daughter is likely to terrorize the couple of hundred pax on the ferry with a contaminated needle.

If security thinks like that, I think my point is proven.

:hmm:

BRUpax
17th Apr 2007, 14:24
No, you're getting the wrong end of the stick as to what is implied. When an official (be it police,immigration, or even ambulance - if they need to move you) pat you down (for whatever reason) they will always ask you if you have anything sharp, "such as needles" to protect themselves from injury or contamination. NOTHING to do with pax safety. I'm afraid that you are seriously "innocent" if you honestly believe that middle aged married men with young daughters don't do drugs. It's a weird world out there!

daedalus
18th Apr 2007, 08:07
Brupax,

Thanks for the explanation, I had assumed the question related to the contents of luggage, car etc., not my clothing.

From what you relate, it seems that I am seriously innocent.

Pray God I remain that way.

:\

skydriller
18th Apr 2007, 19:31
Quote:What kind of twisted lunatic would carry contaminated needles?
Answer: Twisted lunatics high on drugs, that's who!

I get what you are saying BRUPax, but at the same time, a "Twisted lunatic high on drugs" is hardly likely to answer "oh yes, officer, I have several HIV+ contaminated needles in my pocket, so be please careful searching me...", are they?

And so I also think that a Fiat Multipa driving Daedalus and family are not much of a threat to anyone!!

Regards, SD..

mt1832
19th Apr 2007, 12:05
I think the last few posts have got to the core of the problem, we all suffer because for some reason searching only those whose profile fits 'possible terrorist' is not considered acceptable