PDA

View Full Version : Another R22 Prang

Life'sShort-FlyFast
10th Apr 2007, 15:07
Just heard that an R22 has gone down in the Virginia GF. The machine was from the "north of the field". Seems like there was a fire and the instructor has got burns. Severtity unknown. Hold thumbs he is apparently being airlifted to hospital.

DynamicRollOver
10th Apr 2007, 17:39
Given there was an instructor onboard, was this a training flight and if so, condition of the student?

What is going on in our industry???

Chopper 1
11th Apr 2007, 07:04
Chopper bursts into flames on impact

Wed, 11 Apr 2007

Two people were injured when a helicopter crashed at La Mercy, north of Durban and burst into flames late on Tuesday afternoon.
The Starlight Aviation helicopter had two occupants, one an instructor and the other his trainee.
Inspector Troy Allison of the police's search and rescue unit said when the helicopter crashed it was engulfed in flames.
Another helicopter pilot spotted the wreckage and landed nearby to investigate.
Allison said the pilot then removed the instructor and the trainee from the burning wreckage.
The two were airlifted to St Augustine's hospital by an Air Mercy Service helicopter and the Netcare 911 rescue helicopter.
Netcare 911 spokesperson Chris Botha said the instructor was in a critical condition with serious burns and he described the trainee pilot as being in a serious condition.
The flames from the crash ignited a veld fire. Crews from the Durban metro fire department were extinguishing the blaze.
The names of the two people have not been released and police were awaiting for the Civil Aviation Authority to inspect the crash site.
The crash took place on what will eventually become the runaway of Durban's proposed King Shaka International Airport.
Sapa

Scary how these things happen in threes. Squirrel in JHB, R22 in JHB and now this.Hold thumbs for the 2 pilots. C1:(

ANVAK
11th Apr 2007, 07:46
Not confirmed, but apparently Solo van Rooyen is the instructor - Oom Solo is one of the most experienced and respected rotorwing pilots/instructors around. Hope he and the student recover quickly. Apparently rolled over on touch-down after a practise autorotation. Can happen to the best of the best - helo flying requires managing calculated risks and sometimes the quirky reaction of a student can quickly deplete the available options.

Mad Mac
12th Apr 2007, 19:06
Thoughts and prayers to the injured and their families. Wishing them a speedy recovery.

It scares me as I'm about to start my patter!

Romeo E.T.
13th Apr 2007, 11:17
I'm very sad to report that Solo passed away a few minutes ago. Aviation has lost a true gentleman.

from Avcom http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20002&start=45

this is sad....