PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Training

Oz_TB10
10th Apr 2007, 05:33
Hey there,

Just after some quick info on MFA,HM Aerospace and APFT in Malaysia.

1) Which is the cheapest to convert AUS CPL to MAL CPL and to get IR & Frozen ATPL

2) Whats the best place to get all the above in NO1 done the fastest ie Intructor shortages, other delays.

3) Job prospects after completing the above mentioned 2 things ie after applying to the big 2 ( MAS, AirAsia) and FireFly

Any info would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
oz_TB10

thornycactus
10th Apr 2007, 07:57
What is your nationality?

Oz_TB10
10th Apr 2007, 10:59
Malaysian.

Cheers,
oz_tb10

thornycactus
10th Apr 2007, 12:52
Nationality plays an important role upon licence conversion. Thank you for answering to my question.

To answer your questions in your first post:

A1. There is no cheapest school. All about the same price. You definitely can't escape Multi-Engine flying (RM1700/hr) and expensive UKCAA papers. Write in to DCA. Please note: UKCAA papers are tougher than UK-JAR (FCL) papers.

A2. You call and ask them. They do not entertain email. You must call, and compare then you'll know which is the best place.

A3. There are so many Malaysian private students in MFA currently and there are many Malaysian private graduates from MFA. So, job outlook is 101% competitive.

If you are a Malaysia air operator, do you choose your own local flying course graduates that are familirise with Malaysia airlines' flying sllyabus as well as suits into local aviation industry? OR Would choose a licence conversion holder who just came from elsewhere?

Before applying, look at below first. :)
1. MAS has their own cadets.
2. Airasia has their own cadets.
3. Firefly has only two planes currently. Do you think they need people?
After applying (like what you have mentioned), look at above once again if never received reply from them.

Oz_TB10
10th Apr 2007, 17:26
ThornyCactus,

Thanks for the answer.

As for the prices for the conversion, MFA quoted via email 64K mark, AFPT 53K mark from the website. HM Aerospace is the only one im missing out on. This is the reason im asking.

Obviously there will be hoops to jump through and a lot of work to be done. However i hope to be optimistic and expect to get hold of ANY flying job available. Experience counts.

But I am hoping to see the silver lining after the ditch is dug.

With the familiarity issue I agree and it plays an important role. Still what would you or anyone rate the chances of landing jet time in 1 to 2 years time?

Thanks,
oz_tb10

Oz_TB10
11th Apr 2007, 17:48
Anyone else willing to part with their thoughts???

Oz_tb10

thornycactus
11th Apr 2007, 19:09
I am glad that you have found out by yourself. To my dismay, you are relying too much answer from forumers. The way you answered, I can see very clearly that you have not call them.

Yes! Pricing is a decision to make.I have looked through the AFPT website, it should be RM60K (inclusive of ATPL frozen theory). If you wish to save the RM5K, study on your own. Note: the exam fees for the UKCAA papers are expensive. (1st hint)

Have you found about the environment in MFA, HM Aerospace, AFPT? Well, I have already given you some hints in my previous post. You must find out where MAS, AirAsia, Polis sent their cadets to. From there you will know whether the school is "flooded" with cadets or not? There are so many batches in the flying school which have not graduated, you will know which are the schools. (2nd hint)

Assuming the airlines is paying RM200K to train a cadet, one cohort with around 20 people, that will fetch RM2 millions for the school. If you are paying RM50K for the licence conversion, do you think they will take you in and upset their system? If they do not reply you, you should know why. (3rd hint)

There is one Malaysian chap in this forum with NZ licence ("fantastic" flying hours). You are going to end up like him. He has been waiting for more than one year to get his licence converted. Search through the forum page by page to dig him out. If he is kind hearted enough, he will reply. (4th hint)

There so many cadets, private stduents, ex-students hiding in this forum and other forums. Join the Friendster.com and trace the members studying in these schools. You will be surprised by the answer given. (5th hint)

Pricing is one thing, but will you able to get into the school or not? This is another hint. (6th hint)

There are so many experts hiding in this forum, l shall take my hands-off the key-board for a moment.

1st to 3rd hint, I am making you to call them up. Please do not be lazy.
4th and 5th hint, these are people who have gone through your phase, they can be helpful if they want to.
6th hint is an obvious one, you should know what to do.

Oz_TB10
12th Apr 2007, 00:10
ThornyCactus,

The prices were quoted to me by AFPT and MFA themselves.And from them i got the same tag line ie letter from DCA and so on.

Im on the forum to get a feel as im about 7hrs flying time on a jet away. Thats why i have asked again if anyone else out there will be willing to share their thoughts.

Thanks for the help so far but as i am a tad of a distance away im trying to gather as much information as possible while actually not being in Malaysia.

For the ATPL papers i would need instruction as i have done Flight Planning & Nav using the 727 and Systems using 767.But I reckon any help is good help. Not worried about paying for the theory but i guess more money could be saved on the flying side of the conversion.

So if anyone else is out there any comments???

Thanks Thorny and thanks in advance to the rest.

Oz_tb10