PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Instuctor books/aids

heli-mad
9th Apr 2007, 19:41
Hi All,
This is the first message that i write to this forum, although i read quite often. A lot of valuable information and "arguments" over the years.
The reason that i am writing is to ask for some help/info regarding FI(H) books. I am starting my course on the 30th of April somewhere in E.Yorkshire and i read as much as i can:8 . I've done some research for books but it looks like everything is for fixed wing guys.:ugh:
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!!!
Thanks to everybody in advance
Yannis(Greek John)

i4iq
10th Apr 2007, 03:50
Cyclic & Collective - Shawn Coyle
Principles of Helicopter Flight - Wagtendonk
Rotorcraft Flying Handbook - FAA
Kings DVD's with Helicopter Supplement

heli-mad
10th Apr 2007, 07:26
Thanks for the reply,

I have three out of four books you quoted, what i cannot find is books that will help you as an instuctor. There are quite a few for f/w instructors but none for us! I am tempted to get these anyway to check them out but i'm afraid they will not be relevant.

Yannis

VeeAny
10th Apr 2007, 07:33
Yannis

Whilst my page is not specifically aimed at instructors there are a couple here available for download.

NOT JAA Syllabus but 2 relevant to helicopter instructors. The ones I refer to are the transport canada ones.

There is also a set of commercially produced helicopter notes if I can find the link when I get home tonight I'll post that aswell.

http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/books.asp

V.

Helinut
10th Apr 2007, 09:37
The website The Controller mentions gives you a good idea what the Instructor Manual is like. I also recommend it, BUT
1. I believe it deals with the UK PPL(H) prior to JAA, so there may be one or two differences.
2. When it first came out, I remember various discussions between instructors arguing about certain minor bits.
Not trying to put you off, it would be well worth getting, but bear these 2 points in mind.
The guy who produced it also sold a set of overheads covering the pre-flight briefs.
Contact Richard at [email protected] to get the latest status

There was also a Hele Instructors' manual that was published by the CAA as a CAP. It was discontinued, it related to pre-JAR FCL but was a good guide and aide-memoire. I believe it was taken from some UK military CFS document or notes.
======================================================
Just dug it out of my memory and library - it was CAP 421. Now disowned by the CAA, but still very relevant if you can get a copy. The rules of physics and aerodynamics have not been altered by transference of responsibility from the CAA to JAA/EASA methinks.

tu154
10th Apr 2007, 09:41
Having just gone through the course recently this is my advice.
Go through the PPL theory books, you will be expected to be able to teach any subject from this by the end of the course. Big points are frontal systems and all the usual weather issues that affect helicopter operations. Air mass weather is another favourite, source weather and region, track, and weather they give in the UK.
Know your air law and be able to explain all the relevant parts of rule 5. Also probably worth your while downloading or buying Lasors as you will be expected to know things like; if I am a one legged fixed wing pilot from Borneo, can I train in the the UK and what (if any) allowance do I get for having already completed a PPL(A)? Or other assorted questions to do with ratings, renewal, revalidation, class ratings etc.

By the end of the course you will also be expected to teach all the aerodynamics topics, so go through Wagendonk with a view to understanding it well. Anything you do now means you are ahead of the game during the course.
Download from the CAA website the standards document for PPL(H) students, and also for FI(H) candidates. PPL so you can see what you are expected to teach, and FI so you can see the standard you expected to reach in the FI course. I think it's standards doc 27 for the FI course, do a search and you'll find both.
Another useful book is Steven Sparrow's the Private Helicopter Pilot's Guide. Breaks down the exercises quite nicely and is very user friendly. www.helicopterpilotsguide.com
The course is the best flying course you'll do. Well until the next one.

Gordy
10th Apr 2007, 11:44
Here you go (http://www.dynamicflight.com/avcfibook/)

heli-mad
10th Apr 2007, 20:33
What can i say....... thanks for you time and advice guys. :ok:

This forum is a goldmine of info!!!!

all look very interesting, that will give me a lot to do until i start the course

Any more ideas welcome

Yannis :)

helicopter-redeye
11th Apr 2007, 05:52
Where are you going to in E Yorks John? h-r

heli-mad
11th Apr 2007, 19:29
Sandoft Helicopters with Geoff Day........ killer combination:D

All looks good and promising.From what i've heard there's a need for FI(H) all over the country(thats UK not Greece). The course is a real pig also but well worth it both as a career move and as a "piloting" skill as well. Thats what i looking to get from it really. You approaching flying on a very different angle which sounds really interesting, to me that is. I hope i am making the right choice, because there is the financial side of things as well, on top of your CPL which you though it will get you somewhere...not... another 10-12k for the FI. But for the first time after a long time i think thats the right move.
Thought about IR but 35k is a lot of money....with no guarantees.

Any way studing at the moment, i've downloaded a lot of stuff and order a few as well, THANKS again chaps
Y :ok:

VeeAny
11th Apr 2007, 20:23
Yannis

http://www.lulu.com/content/176642

Is the one I was thinking of yesterday, I've never read it , and it seems to have an FAA slant but may be of use to you.

Geoff Day did my pre course entry test 8 yrs ago seemed to be a decent bloke. Heard good things about him since.

Good luck, have fun on your course.

V.

heli-mad
11th Apr 2007, 21:07
VeeAny, thanks a lot, it looks like what i was looking for.

TheController, i know that its a case of who you know as well as what you know... i'm starting the course with a more mature approach compared with my CPL 2y ago, i dont expect miracles!!