PDA

View Full Version : Africa Safari

mudworm
9th Apr 2007, 15:20
Hello,
Our pax have a couple days to spare between meetings in London, UK and Perth, Australia. They interested in stopping through South or Eastern Africa to spend a couple nights at a lodge where they can see some decent Game animals. I have never done this before so I am looking for some advise. Our plane is a GV.

What I need is:
1. High end Lodge with decent game
2. Close to Airport of Entry along east coast of Africa
3. Stable Country

I don't know if anything like this is available. Please PM or reply to the forum if you have any suggestions.

Worm

FlyMD
9th Apr 2007, 21:30
I don't know of any lodge accessible with a G5.. even if the runway is adequate, safe parking is not available anywhere..

Best option is Masai Mara park in Kenya. Fly the 5 to Nairobi, transfer the pax to Wilson Field (30 min drive from Jomo Kenyatta intl.), from where they fly a Twotter or some such to a lodge in the park (30 to 50 min flight).

Masai Mara has several upscale lodges, and the Wildlife is fantastic. A quick google should give you several names for lodges... I like Kitchwa Tembo myself.

For the crew, the Safari Park hotel in Nairobi is very nice..

PPRuNe Towers
9th Apr 2007, 22:18
I'm sure there'll be plenty of suggestions for East and Southern Africa. Perhaps someone could give a current update on a Gulfstream and limited time option based on Mombasa and Tsavo East which would be my first thought?

Regards
Rob

Slopey
9th Apr 2007, 22:22
Into Port Elizabeth on the south coast of SA, then a 50 min drive up to Shamwari (or a short heli flight)? - very nice high end safari in a managed reserve, so there's always something to see - they even have viewing stats of what's been seen on their website. Went there a few years back - fantastic place, and recently had loads of exposure on the beeb.

NNB
10th Apr 2007, 04:00
:D Finch Hattons in Tsavo West national park is spectacular and has a "long" gravel runway. Depending on t/off roll your GV might get out. Call them and ask as this safari place is very up market and 'bloody nice"
I "had to do a photo shoot" there and was very impressed with their facilities....!!:ok:

cavortingcheetah
10th Apr 2007, 04:24
:hmm:

Plan on going into Maun, Botswana and safariing it in the Okavango Delta. That is unique.
Maun is a good field with reasonable security and used to dealing with, certainly, a GIV. It has Jet A1 and is a port of entry.
Contact Abercrombie and Kent and get them to make the land arrangements for you. They are the best, not necessarily the most expensive-but probably so-and they will look after your passengers.
Do not forget to take malaria pills with you if you go this route.
Enjoy it. The punters might be amazed at your ingenuity?:D

mebro
10th Apr 2007, 07:09
Hei Worm,

I agree with c.cheetah, you can fly straight into Maun and again depart straight outta there for an international destination.

Airport can definitely handle a G5 and as advised fuel is available.

Check out Elephant back safari's US 1500 pp per night..they have handled high end clients including Oprah

Try Kawandoo Safari they also handle high end clients( I think they handled a fair few from English Royal family,Princess margaret to William and Henry), they have three camps all of them are fanatastic.

I am sure Abercombie and kent can do well as well

All these companies have opffices in Maun so if u look it up and contact them directly it is much better I think rather than going thr' their offices overseas or agents

There is also a couple more safari companies based in Maun can't remember their names.

Well enjoy that part of the world .....

Regards

g4phil
10th Apr 2007, 07:37
Im posting this reply for a colleague who is not registered with pprune, here is a copy of the email:
"I can highly recommend them to land in Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta international airport, use Z.Bosckovic air charters to fly directly to the Masai Mara game reserve and stay at Bateleur Camp run by CC Africa (approx $500 per person per night). We used to send guests there and I have seen it myself, its stunning. The Mara is the best park for a couple of days where they will see the most game, I can also recommend the champagne breakfast from a hot air balloon.
Kenya is stable and a hub for the region for most multinational companies. Allamanda Safaris can organize the charter, book the camp and generally provide all the information necessary. Visit their website http://www.allamandasafaris.com, Bryan Payne is the manager and used to work for CC Africa before starting his own company.
You can pass on my email address [email protected] if they have any more questions.
Cheers, Tim"
Both myself and Tim are flight mechanics operating in Gulfstream aircraft (GIV, V, 550). If you need any assistance with the G5 in Kenya just get in touch with Tim.
Phil Lord

global718
11th Apr 2007, 08:19
Eastern South Africa has one of largest game parks in the world, Kruger Park. There is a brand new airport Kruger Mpumalanga can handle up too a 747. So no problem for your G5. Richard Branson has a game lodge nearby called Ulusaba. There are plenty of very up market places including Mala Mala. The Anglo American and De Beers group operate a G5 into a game reserve they own, Tswalu which is open to the public. Been there nice long tarred runway. They also have a AB139 for transfers. The Rembrant Group operates a Global Express into a private strip in Kruger Park. Execujet can handle just about any requirements including transfers and security. Please feel free to PM.

south coast
11th Apr 2007, 16:28
I would recommend into Skakuza(spelling) and then stay at Singita lodge.

It is stunning and very upmarket and great game!