PDA

View Full Version : Flight cancelled due to pilots bad language

aircabbie
9th Apr 2007, 11:45
Came across this tonight . think there might be a bit more to the story than what is stated hear.

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Northwest Airlines canceled a flight set to leave from Las Vegas to Detroit after the captain cursed on a cell phone in a bathroom, then swore at one of the 180 passengers on the plane, officials said on Saturday.
"He used what was described to me as rude language," Ian Gregor, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said about Friday's incident on Northwest Flight 1190.
"At some point during the boarding process, he left the cockpit, went into the front lavatory, locked the door and continued his conversation.
"Passengers who were boarding the aircraft could hear his end of the conversation through the lavatory door."
When the captain emerged from the bathroom, a passenger confronted him about his behavior, reportedly prompting more cursing by the pilot of the B757 aircraft.
Local police questioned the captain, whose name was not released, and determined there was no cause to conduct a sobriety test, Gregor said.
But Northwest canceled the flight and flew the pilot back to his base in Detroit.
"Northwest is conducting a review of the matter and has apologized to its customers for the inconvenience," the company said in a statement. "Northwest has provided impacted customers with meals and hotels. In recognition of the inconvenience, they will receive compensation from Northwest Airlines."

Newforest
9th Apr 2007, 20:15
Maybe the passenger knew something about CRM? Would you like to fly with a pilot who has an attitude on a phone just before take-off?

apache
9th Apr 2007, 21:56
Maybe crewing had just asked him to extend, and there was NO financial renumeration in it ?

sinala1
9th Apr 2007, 22:16
Maybe the passenger knew something about CRM? Would you like to fly with a pilot who has an attitude on a phone just before take-off?
Yes, because none of us have any idea what the phone call was about - I dont see any link between an abusive phone call and CRM principles

lowerlobe
10th Apr 2007, 01:43
Sinala..

Do you think as a part of CRM training you would be interested in any crew member especially the captain being agitiated to the point of making a phone call like the one described?

If he/she is agitated to that point I would be concerned at any crew member being able to make calm,rational and informed decisions in that state of mind.

Observations like this are very much part of CRM principles.

maui
10th Apr 2007, 02:13
So Lower Lobe. Do you suggest I call in sick everytime I try to reason with the idiots at Telstra or the Microsoft Mumbai help desk etc. etc?

Perhaps we should also have an eight hour handset/throttle ban?

Should we clock off when agravated by the rent a cops/ security search?

Or should we all be floating through life urruffled by myriad inconveniences, safe in the knowledge that our consistent application of our superior CRM principles and skills will keep us sane and stress free?

Maui

sinala1
10th Apr 2007, 03:03
Lowerlobe I agree with your point regarding a persons state of mind affecting their ability to make decisions, however that depends very much on a persons ability to separate their personal lives from their work lives etc.

A passenger making a complaint because they heard a pilot swearing on the phone is hardly an application of the principles of CRM - I would imagine said pax has never even heard the words before.