PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating Problem

AHMC
8th Apr 2007, 08:28
Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before. (i did do a search but to no avail)

I have a slight problem - i am currently on my CPL course withing the UK and was not able to obtain a night rating during my hour building. I am told that i will have to wait until October (fair enough) due to daylight hours becoming longer due to the approaching summer.

Does anyone have any advice as to what i could do or know of anywhere that can accomodate a night rating now?

I have considered slipping an instructor a couple of hundred on the side to do the night rating with me during April but am not sure if this is appropriate.

Many Thanks,

AHMC

gcolyer
8th Apr 2007, 08:38
An expensive option for 5 hours of flying is to go to Florida. If I was you I would go to Florida and crack out a Multi rating at the same time. At least it will be financialy viable that way.

Crashlanding
8th Apr 2007, 09:35
I know Alantic Flight Training in Coventry made arrangements for a couple of chaps after me (did min in Feb) and they did theres in April, this was back in 2003

They didnt start till about 1am till around 3am

I dont know if that chap is still there that did that for them but its worth giving them an ask if you need it in a hurry.

All the best

gcolyer
8th Apr 2007, 09:37
Trouble with night landings in the UK is uoui usualy get a heavier landing fee as "someone" has to pay for the lights and night staff are more "expensive"

waterpau
8th Apr 2007, 20:19
Hi AHMC,

I did my night rating recently at Almat Flying Club at Coventry. James Green was my instructor and, whilst I can't speak for him, found him very flexible about flying late into the night. They have a beautiful Warrior III, and I did the rating over a Friday and Saturday night. We did a nav across to Cardiff on the night of the lunar eclipse; I can tell you that watching the eclipsed moon at FL60 over the Beacons was something to remember!

I don't know what restrictions there are on, say, circuits at Coventry at midnight though. Glynn Matthews' number is on the website; might be worth a call to see if they can accommodate you.

Best of luck,

waterpau

BlueRobin
8th Apr 2007, 22:20
During BST, the formula is H24+FI+aeroplane=NQ :)

I did 4.5 hours toward the Night Qualification last week. Marvellous stuff! Towns and roads really come alive when they're illuminated.

This was from Coventry, which is a H24 field and with Atlantic Flight Training. Dual C152 works out to be about £115ph, plus landing fees. so not too bad for a pro school. http://www.flyaft.com

To get the best chance, you will need to target someone similar, i.e. a H24 field where there's a commercial (i.e. pro) flight training school based on site. The school of course will usually have a number of CPL students wanting to do their NQ, so the school will have instructors rostered accordingly to work lates.

AHMC
9th Apr 2007, 10:13
many thanks everyone - its sorted now - should have it done by next week wx permitting (as ever) - Thanks to pprune members.

Thanks for all your helpful advice & suggestions.

EpsilonVaz
9th Apr 2007, 12:17
Egnatia Aviation in Greece is a lot closer and cheaper.

www.egnatia-aviation.com