PDA

View Full Version : Is-bao (ibac)

His dudeness
8th Apr 2007, 08:13
Has anyone here worked or implemented IS-BAO (by ibac)?
I´m opening up a corporate flight department in europe with one aircraft (midsize jet) and 2 pilots. Since I have been flying commercially all my live and was DO and MM in JAROPS land, I actually wanted to adopt JAROPS1 manuals (OM-A,B,D & CAME) to our needs.(Basically maintain them minus runway requirements, since homebase rwy to short)
Main focus is safety (e.g.we will train twice ayear in a sim, attend CRM, DGR etc courses,stay within FDR etc.) and a philosophy that makes it easy to train newhires or freelancers our standard. (like in any decent AOC-holding organisation...)
Now I´m wondering if I could do the trick with ISBAO (and the employers where approached, they wanna know about it), maybe "easier"...
Any opionions or better experiences?

Stratocaster
8th Apr 2007, 17:08
Seems that it's exactly what you need. From my experience it's perfect for private and/or corporate flight departments where safety is really the top priority and there's no point going the OPS1 route.

JAR-OPS can be helpful in your case but let's be honest for a minute: it can also be such a pain in the neck for small flight departments, even if the CAA's not on your back every month! In my view Is-bao is the only credible alternative to JAR-/EU-OPS in Europe.

The best part is that you'll start working with SMS (ICAO requirement early 2009), and that IS-BAO is one of the possible options to meet future EASA Part OPS 2 requirements (effective: approximately 2009 too). JAR-/EU-OPS is definitely NOT the way forward, actually both will disappear in a couple of years anyway.

Think there's even a couple of IBAC-accredited auditors in Europe.

merlinxx
8th Apr 2007, 22:53
Go to www.ibac.org check ISBAO for auditor list & www.bbga.aero for our UK association, which in it's original form was a founder member of IBAC.
Good luck.

His dudeness
9th Apr 2007, 07:56
Thanks so far.

@stratocaster: can you enlighten me on the process of implementation a little? Are the manuals one can purchase written so that one can adopt them easily? I just remember the painful and very long process of implementing JAROPS in the AOC operation whilst I was DO. I wouldn´t like to make the same experience again...

Stratocaster
9th Apr 2007, 11:25
When you buy the kit from IBAC you get generic manuals (GCOM) of different format and "regulatory influence". There are two that have been JAR-OPSized (A4 size or flight bag size but the contents are identical), meaning that the way the information is structured is similar to JAR-OPS OMs.

This is where you should gather with all the people involved in your flight department, go through the book and complete/add/delete as appropriate. The IBAC kit also contains guidelines and standards to achieve Is-bao registration.

If you're not familiar with SMS, don't hesitate to get help from others if you want to make sure you're going in the right direction. Sometimes people feel lost when they do it for the first time. They rarely are, but are just not used to that approach of flight safety. Get as much feedback and as many neurons as you can around the table when establishing the risk profile of your department.

Set yourself specific goals and deadlines, and keep them!

Don't know how painful your transition to OPS 1 was, but it can't be that painful with Is-bao. No major airline was involved in the making of this code of good practice, which is the beauty of this thing. It wasn't written by and for Megaways and its 200 planes, but by small departments. The GCOM and associated guidelines are a great help.

His dudeness
9th Apr 2007, 12:56
Thanks Stratocaster, much appreciated. I´ll try to attend a ISBAO briefing/meeting in May to make my final decision.