PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Rating in Spain

Crashnburn22
7th Apr 2007, 22:39
I already have an FAA IR and was planning on converting it in spain to a JAA license. Only problem though is that a few people have told me that the CAA refuse to recognise a spanish IR, is this true?? And if so, why??

november.sierra
7th Apr 2007, 23:26
Assuming you have done your ground school ATPL theory exams and your CPL under the CAA, then you have fulfilled all criteria to meet the license issue requirements and there should be no further problems.

Since the IR is a rating that is added on to the license, it can be done in any JAA country and has to be recognised by the CAA. It's all in JAR-OPS if you can be bothered reading it, or alternatively in the latest version of LASORS.

BillieBob
8th Apr 2007, 00:12
This question is unanswerable - you cannot convert a rating into a licence. Perhaps if you asked an intelligent question, you would get an intelligent reply - it clearly hasn't worked so far!

BTW, you might be better advised to look at JAR-FCL than JAR-OPS, and only as a last resort should you consider LASORS.

steeve
8th Apr 2007, 10:09
I did the CPL and ATPL in UK (Oxford) and the IR in Spain (Madrid)...
no problems with UK CAA

An Artificial Member
8th Apr 2007, 11:37
I'll second that, no problem with CAA regards doing training in Spain.

AM

Crashnburn22
10th Apr 2007, 18:35
"This question is unanswerable - you cannot convert a rating into a licence. Perhaps if you asked an intelligent question, you would get an intelligent reply - it clearly hasn't worked so far!

BTW, you might be better advised to look at JAR-FCL than JAR-OPS, and only as a last resort should you consider LASORS."

You know aswell as everyone else I meant a rating, no need to get cocky ;)

Thanks everyone else for your reply, it's cleared up a few things for me.

geordiejet
17th Apr 2007, 19:36
Hi, what about doing a CPL in Spain. Does anyone know if this is possible. Aerofan say you need Spanish CAA Approval for this - is this easily come by?

PIGDOG
17th Apr 2007, 21:03
Hi Geordijet,

I've been doing some research into this. I can't seem to find an answer myself.

Ok, so lets assume the 14 exams are done and dusted. 150+ hours under the belt, and ready for the CPL. There are places in the UK and, according to the CAA website, places in the USA. But what if you want to do the CPL in Spain, for instance?

Why can't you do it, pass the skills test and then go to CAA and get issued with a nice shiny blue wallet????

What's the problem with doing exams in one country but the flying in another?

Thanks all

... meanwhile, the searching continues (going through JAR-FCL 1 again)...:8

JUST-local
17th Apr 2007, 21:42
Hi all

yes this has been brought up before, I asked the question after finishing the exams earlier this year. You need the approval of both the country who is going to issue the licence (ie the one where you sat the exams) and the country where you want to do the training/test (ie Spain/ Greece - the lands of cheaper training better cpl weather).
Yes the IR is a rating as is the MEP and can be completed by any FTO in any JAA member state as covered many times before.

My question was and still is has anyone asked the question? or indeed done the CPL with UK ATPL exam credits in spain or Greece.

Cheers..........

JUST-local
17th Apr 2007, 21:47
Maybe Spanish ATPL theory followed by the CPL & IR in spain would have been a better idea........:{

PIGDOG
17th Apr 2007, 21:53
Ok,ok.

So I found this

JAR-FCL 1.065 (b) says:

In circumstances agreed by both Authorities, an applicant who has commenced training under the responsibility of one Authority may be permitted to complete the requirements under the responsibility of the other Authority.

The agreement shall allow for:
(1) theoretical knowledge training and
examinations;
(2) medical examination and assessment;
(3) flight training and testing,

The Authorities shall agree the ‘State of licence
issue’.

Also of interest to this thread is (c)

Further ratings may be obtained under
JAR–FCL requirements in any JAA Member
State and will be entered into the licence by the
State of licence issue.

Anyway, about (b); Has anyone got any idea how to go about getting the two authorities to allow this???

Thanks again.

BlueRobin
17th Apr 2007, 22:03
(b) te answer may well be revised regs when EASA gets their hands on FCL.

Crashnburn22
1st May 2007, 19:53
After doing a little more research I've found out you can take an IR in spain and still use it for UK registered A/C. With the CPL however you will need to obtain a CAA license if you have a CAA ATPL and the same applies to all other JAA member states.

Since the flights schools in Spain are JAA rather than CAA it simply isn't an option. You're better off going to Canada or the USA.

JUST-local
1st May 2007, 20:56
Yes, well done!:ouch:

BillieBob
1st May 2007, 23:53
Why not use the search function? This subject has been done to death, repeatedly, and nothing has changed.

To complete the theoretical examinations for a JAA licence in one member state and the flight training in another requires the agreement of both countries. The only two JAA member states that currently have such an agreement are the UK and the Republic of Ireland, thus you can do the licence exams in the UK and the flight training in Ireland or vice-versa. No other country in the EU is prepared to enter into such an agreement so exams in UK and flight training in Spain, for example, is a non-starter. There may be countries (not unadjacent to the eastern Mediterranean) that are prepared to issue a licence based on another country's examinations without a formal agreement being in place, but this is not in accordance with JARs and other member states could, justifiably, refuse to recognise a licence so issued.

Ratings to be included in a JAA licence are another matter. JARs require the State of Licence Issue to accept training and testing for ratings (e.g. Class, Type, Instrument, FI, etc.) from any other member state and to issues the appropriate rating. Throughout most of the JAA this works OK, although in the case of certain states (not unadjacent to the Iberian Peninsula) the authorities will go to extreme lengths to avoid complying with this requirement, especially when the training has taken place in the USA.

Lightheart
21st Jun 2007, 19:44
Try www.Aerofanfto.com

Lightheart
22nd Jun 2007, 12:25
Visted them a month ago and am starting a course there v soon.

boogie-nicey
22nd Jun 2007, 12:56
Me too, it's a nice place that doesn't have the usual attitude issues associated with so many other places I've visited. They have a small but good fleet and equially adequate facilities along with a quiet airport.