PDA

View Full Version : Heli film- Larry Hagman

DennisK
7th Apr 2007, 22:07
Just thought I'd post about an upcoming heli film on Channel 5.

"Deadly Encounter" is showing Thursday 12th @ 13.30 hrs.

Don't think it is a Dallas style load of nonsense ... this is a good film for rotary fans. As soon as you see Hagman tapping the gas producer dial to get a start reading on his Hughes 500, you'll know that the heli adviser on the shoot knew what was what.

Apart from tons of heli-action, there are some nice shots of the US aircraft desert storage too.

Great film - don't miss it.

Best wishes,

Dennis K

Chukkablade
7th Apr 2007, 23:35
I remember that movie! Wasn't that the one where his ex shows up with the mob in pursuit (bad dudes also in a helicopter) because she knows where some cash is hidden.

Final shots/recovering the money in an aircraft graveyard?

Great stuff! I remember it being on one weekday afternoon when I was on leave, and watching it thinking it would be a load of old tripe, only to find it a very enjoyable 90 minutes indeed. Also being very surprised because it had a topless scene in it, which I wasn't really expecting the BBC to show at 2.30 in the afternoon.:O

Top effort Hagman, I could (almost) forgive you for all those years you were horrid to Sue Ellen:}

Big Bucks Bernie
7th Apr 2007, 23:51
Great movie. Have been trying to get it on DVD for quite a while now already, but to no avail...

http://www.rotaryaction.com/pages/dlyenctr.html

Revolutionary
8th Apr 2007, 02:42
You guys are in luck. Up for auction on Ebay right now:

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/21312-Larry-Hagman-Signed-Deadly-
Encounter-Contract_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ52935QQihZ007QQitem
Z170096791521QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW (http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/21312-Larry-Hagman-Signed-
Deadly-Encounter-Contract_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ52935Q
QihZ007QQitemZ170096791521QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

james2210
8th Apr 2007, 09:41
Thanks Dennis K-been waiting ages for an opportunity to watch the whole of this film! :)

I remember first watching it as a kid at about the same time Airwolf was on TV. While Airwolf was great with it's high-tech gadgets and the gorgeous 222, Deadly Encounter left an impression on me as it did not use the same pieces of aerial footage over and over and cheesy FX found in Airwolf-it was all real.

Nice landing on the back of a moving rig in order to fix an oil leak if I remember rightly.

I'm setting the DVD machine now! :ok:

Hilico
8th Apr 2007, 10:06
A little while ago, Vaqueroaero actually met Larry Hagman socially and made this known in advance. I asked him to ask questions...this was his reply.

"Steve,

Had the great day on Saturday, on board the USS Midway in San Diego Bay. Larry Hagman looked somewhat older, but still recognizable.
He summed up making 'Deadly Encounter' as "Totally nuts"!

Apparently most of the stunts he was in the 500, but had no idea how dangerous the stuff was until afterwards. As he pointed out they never got the shot on the first take. If you've seen the movie, the part where they fly through the shed by the docks took 5 takes to get the desired shots. He's not a rated pilot, but shook the stick for some of the scenes. He said he really struggled to keep it in a straight line.
Anyway it was great to meet him and I think he enjoyed talking to someone about something other than Dallas."

Aesir
8th Apr 2007, 10:10
Dont miss the start of the film, itīs really cool.

If I remember right the landing on the 18 wheeler flatbed was to fix Hydraulic leak! On a H-500:eek: Black gooey stuff spraying out beside the instrument panel but winding an old rag around it fixed it good:hmm:

Really good film, I have it on VHS. There are some kissy scenes and even scenes where there is a lot of talking, its good to keep one finger on Fast Fwd for those scenes.

Farmer 1
8th Apr 2007, 10:19
Is that the one where he's chased by a couple of other helicopters (B47s?) in the mountains, where he hides overnight, and they continue the search with a crewman using a torch in order to see?

Bravo73
8th Apr 2007, 10:59
Is that the one where he's chased by a couple of other helicopters (B47s?) in the mountains

Yep, that's the one. He's chased by a combination of Lamas and Gazelles.

Although there are some great flying sections, there are also plenty of scenes that will make a helicopter pilot's skin crawl (aside from the multiple single-engine safety 'scenarios'.) For instance, when following a vehicle on the road (an ambulance in this case), is it better to be at 50ft or 1500ft? :cool: (And, yes, I'm aware that the 50ft chase makes for better TV!)

If you're not in the UK or are after a DVD version of Deadly Encounters, knock-off copies occasionally appear on eBay. IIRC, my copy came from a guy in Canada.

vaqueroaero
8th Apr 2007, 14:17
I did indeed meet the man! Have been trying to find the photo of us, but so far haven't been able to.

Dreadful acting and story line, but simply great flying. One not to be missed!

robin303
25th Jan 2013, 21:39
bvG8jKW9uS8

Rotor Work
26th Jan 2013, 01:40
http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/185483-deadly-encounter-movie.html

Hi Robin 303
A bit more about Deadly Encounter on this previous thread.
Regards R W

FLY 7
26th Jan 2013, 09:08
I bought a copy on DVD from Amazon a couple of years ago for about Ģ15.

Apparently it is now virtually unavailable and copies sell at a huge premium

Amazon.com: Deadly Encounter

so worth recording it off the TV :ok:

ShyTorque
26th Jan 2013, 10:10
I saw this film many years ago, it's how I learned to fly.

E.g. Starting up in the hangar, yep, saves walking twenty feet and keeps the floor swept.

Chases in congested areas - I always did my police pursuits at six inches agl, bouncing off the high street.

Some wussy observers did seem to get a bit upset about it at first. But they knew nothing. I just told them: "Look, Larry Hagman does it!"

They then all agreed "Well that's OK then."

They never did spot the noise of the rotors shutting before we landed; so I kept that fun trick to myself.

Mushroom_2
27th Jan 2013, 13:34
When very young and very green I started up a WW10 inside a hanger. You only do it once.........

206Fan
27th Jan 2013, 16:29
Just watched it. Have to say I enjoyed it. Lovely Gazelle near the end!

muffin
27th Jan 2013, 16:41
Yes thanks for the link. A very good film.

Nomad110
27th Jan 2013, 19:30
Awesome film. Watched it back when I was student on You Tube. Didn't count as ground time though....