PDA

View Full Version : Current vision standard in the USAF and CAF

flyer_spotter
7th Apr 2007, 17:41
Hi guys and girls,

I have a question...what's teh current vision standard for tanker and transport pilots in the USAF? Do they accept candidates with glasses? I wear glasses myself and I know it is not possible for me to fly a fighter, so instead I think I might aim for the heavies in the Air Force. (C-5, C130..etc.)

How about Canadian Air Force?

brickhistory
7th Apr 2007, 17:57
Vision standards are the same for both big and little aircraft in the USAF; 20/20, not colorblind, and no depth perception problems.

Then there are the small hurdles of becoming a US citizen, having a college degree, getting through the commissioning program, then making it through pilot training. And all must be accomplished prior to age 26.5.

You also might try the "joining the military" thread at the top of this forum.

Over to you, Canada........

flyer_spotter
7th Apr 2007, 18:11
Ooh thank you! I will post again in that forum.

saudipc-9
8th Apr 2007, 00:48
The CAF basically has the same vision requirements but we do not have an age limit for joining. However, you must be a Canadian citizen in order to join as an officer.

US Herk
8th Apr 2007, 05:31
And all must be accomplished prior to age 26.5.
Actually, they've lengthened that - I believe it's now 31 - have seen waivers to 33 even! Desperate times...

Don't forget the 10 year commitment following pilot training.

BEagle
8th Apr 2007, 06:44
I don't think that there are any vision restrictions if you wish to join the CAF. See http://www.commemorativeairforce.org/membership/index.html Formerly known as the Confederate Air Force and now the more politically correct Commemorative Air Force, it is a non-profit making organisation.

Whereas to be a pilot in the CF (Canadian Forces) you need at least 20/20 vision uncorrected. See http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=32&bhcp=1

Eh?

brickhistory
8th Apr 2007, 11:28
US Herk, were those waivers for new guys?

ZH, well done.

ZH875
8th Apr 2007, 12:10
Brickhistory, despicable post removed.

US Herk
8th Apr 2007, 23:37
US Herk, were those waivers for new guys?
No - current active duty applying for flight training from other career fields