PDA

View Full Version : Three top brass quit at Gulf Air

Zenj
6th Apr 2007, 08:58
Three top brass quit at Gulf Air

Gulf News Report

Dubai: Gulf Air on Wednesday said, its three vice-presidents are leaving the company as its new President and Chief Executive Andre Dose begins restructuring the management.

They include vice-president for finance Ahmad Al Hammadi, vice-president for services Tariq Sultan, and vice-president for business units Ali Murtada.

"We have ambitious plans for Gulf Air, but these will not be realised if we only make cosmetic changes to the way we do business," Dose said in an e-mailed statement obtained by Gulf News.

"This is a large and complex business: we serve over seven million customers each year and we operate modern aircraft worth millions of dinars. There are no quick fixes and, if we are to serve our customers well, we must start to make the necessary changes now.

"Those changes must start at the top of the business. "The existing organisational structure has 13 direct reports to the President and chief executive. It is simply not possible to manage that efficiently, therefore I have decided to reduce the number of direct reports to me.

"As a result, Ahmad Al Hammadi, Tariq Sultan, and Ali Murtada will be leaving the company shortly."

This comes at the backdrop of the latest announcements made by Bahraini officials that the state will raise its stake in the airline to 80 per cent from 50 per cent.

Political guidance

Gulf Air, which lost its charismatic chief executive James Hogan last year, who successfully brought back the loss-making carrier to black after years in the red following a three-year turnaround project Falcon. Hogan joined Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways in September last year.

Dose has been meeting staff and telling them that the process of rebuilding Gulf Air had begun. He gave his comments against the background of the company's contribution to the Kingdom.

"Gulf Air accounts for 70 per cent of Bahrain International Airport's traffic and we contribute $770 million to the country's GDP every year. As a result, Gulf Air is part and parcel of the nation's future," said Dose.

"These changes will allow me to drive the necessary reforms more efficiently and to allow our management to focus on our customers, ensuring that they get the recognition they deserve.

"Gulf Air has a magnificent heritage and, as I meet our staff, it is evident that we have the expertise and dedication we need to continue that legacy," he concluded.

Gulf Air directly contributes an annual $246 million to the country's national economy, employs more than 5,000 staff and helps create more than 3,600 indirect jobs in Bahrain, Gulf Air Board of Directors Deputy Chairman Mahmood Al Kooheji said.

"Consequently, there is a clear political guidance to implement the reforms in the Gulf Air by developing a comprehensive reform plan for the company which will be implemented by Bahrain Mumtalakat Holding Company through its representing members in the Gulf Air Board of Directors," he added.

millerscourt
6th Apr 2007, 09:27
I am just amazed that Hogan did not have a contract that stated he could not work in the same Industry in the same area for x numbers of years if he left Gulf Air. Big mistake that I reckon.

boiler
6th Apr 2007, 10:52
Old news Zenj. In a matter of speaking, they did not quit GF, they were let go.