PDA

View Full Version : Viral labirintisis

CV Donator
6th Apr 2007, 08:33
I believe I have recently picked up a viral infection, Viral labrintisis, which is upsetting my balance. I can still walk but feel as though I am bouncing in the process. I have been to see the company Doctor and she prescribed stemitil. I enquired if there was any medicine which gets to the root of the problem and kills the bug, she said no and that I have to sit it out. Luckily I am in groundschool at the moment but I really want it sorted out quickly, as it is affecting my concentration. Has anyone had this problem before and if so is there any antibiotics for it. Many thanks.

Loose rivets
6th Apr 2007, 15:38
Ohhhh yes! Totally frightening when it first happens. I had the five year medical at LGW the next day, and the loss of a new job if I didn't get the Class I.

I'm tempted to tell the story now that many years have gone by, but it's the stuff of Jet Blast, not a serious forum.

A pilot's comment, until a qualified person is available.

Don't forget that antibiotics will not ‘kill' a virus. Your immune system is all you have. However, one of the difficulties doctors have sometimes is finding out what type of ‘bug' is causing the symptoms. Viral Labyrinthitis is not uncommon and usually clears up in a few days. I have a friend that could not get to her flat door she was so giddy, they had to get a ladder and break into her bedroom. Mine was okay in about a week, though very occasionally, sometimes after a cold, I get a hint of vertigo...that is a feeling of spinning in a horizontal plane, though it is very slight.

CV Donator
6th Apr 2007, 15:57
Many thanks LR. I have had it close to three weeks now and am starting to scare myself with internet research on the subject. I must say it has got better but it still lingers.

Fly380
6th Apr 2007, 17:37
I had it when I was 29. It started with a ring in the ear when I was at the pub. The wife thought I was drunk and put me to bed with a bucket as I couldnt stop throwing up. The next 3 days I was crawling around on the floor as I couldnt stand up. It got gradually better over 2 to 3 weeks and has never reoccured since. I am 62 now. If I remember rightly I was treated with steroids.:yuk: :yuk:

Mad Girl
7th Apr 2007, 06:34
I had this a couple of years ago, and was totally incapable of walking around my house without a hand on the wall. It took about 3 weeks to go, but I was signed off work for the first week as they weren't able to diagnose it first off....

My Doc said "It takes as long as it takes" but if I was still suffering the symptoms after 6 weeks I'd be put in the hands of the ENT consultant.

After the first week they put me on some drugs which I took every 6 hours so that I could get back to work. By the time I got to hour 4-5 I could tell they were wearing off because I started wobbling all over the place again.

They changed what I was on to something stronger and they seemed to work for the remaining 10 days.

I'm glad to say that it's not recurred again as it's the weirdest & most frustrating sensation I've ever experienced and made me feel very vulnerable.

Also VERY glad I hadn't discovered the delights of flying at that time, because I would have been grounded "Good & Proper" for the duration and would have had to have my medical suspended until the drugs were out of my system.

Antibiotics won't touch it...You just have to live with it for a while.

CV Donator
7th Apr 2007, 06:56
Looks like I'll have to battle it out, these things always seem to occur when you least need it!