PDA

View Full Version : potential EK joiner

confused1971
5th Apr 2007, 01:53
Hi
Thinking of a career change to EK, life change actually!
To assist with my move I want to chat with present employees. Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to offer. Outlined below are my main reasons for moving I hope they give u some food for thought for any advice you may be able to offer

How often would one expect to travel?

Part of my decision to come to Dubai is to see all that the world has to offer. Dubai, being the gateway to Europe would be a great base from which to explore.

We have two boys 1 and 3 so part of my decision is for them to experience this wonderful world of ours before they return to finish their education in their country of birth. Schooling seems great there. Expand...

How much do you actually save per month?

I save absolutely nothing at the moment as a 737 F/O Would 7000dihrams be excessive per month as a first officer with EK?

The facilitators in the recent roadshow did not give any idea about days off. Could i reasonably expect a few days off at the end of one month and a few at the start of another to travel?

What is life like at silicone oasis?....perhaps like a silicone implant? nice to look at but not like the real thing... or with kids my age, just the thing?

I realise you can never be happy all the time in any job, nor can the company pay you enough but life is very short. I am hoping my move to EK will provide some rewards in terms of life experience and financial security in this ever insecure world of ours.

Thanks for any assistance

Your honest and genuine replies will be greatly appreciated.

Also love to hear from families who have been there for a few years and the gloss may be starting to fade. Is a ten year goal realistic?
Ask your wives tonight over a cordial and ask them what they think too...love to hear their opinions so we can chat about it further.

fatbus
5th Apr 2007, 04:58
Silicon Oasis is ok people there like it, 2-4 years things will be built up out there.
Dubai not the nice place it use to be.
Traffic is down right dangerous.
Cost of living going up all the time by 15-20% with no control.
Lots of corruption which will piss you off.
You would be lucky to get a string of days off in 2 months back to back, it would have to be in your top 2 bid months, but the loads are high everywhere.
Average 9 days off a month for the year,maybe 10.
The road show s are saying upgrade 3-4 years but we have a back log right now,unless they are factoring in guys leaving which is going to increase soon.
Either EY or QR(ad in Flight) look like they are going for offline basing if they do EK will have a tuff time getting pilots on the current package, already feeling that.
Latest is Nad Al sheba gone , golf going to go way up in price , they never did care for EPC members anyway.Glad I did not get the new clubs, that being said there might be a fire sale at Nad soon.

ShockWave
5th Apr 2007, 05:38
Do a search and you will find much of the info you are after. It has been repeated many times. Keep in mind that many view this forum as a place to let off steam, it is not always factual.
I have enjoyed the vast majority of my time here, despite the occasional thing that annoys the crap out of me.
At the end of the day they will give you a great aircraft to go out and fly to too many destinations to remember.

confused1971
5th Apr 2007, 12:24
thankyou very much appreciated

xkred27
5th Apr 2007, 16:09
It's a hell of alot better than VB. Glad I left.

340-200
5th Apr 2007, 16:14
please guys ....... f/o on the A 330 , how much makes a month..... and how much after living just a normal family life,,,, can save..........thanx

donpizmeov
5th Apr 2007, 18:31
Confused,

This is really a very subjective subject. Someone here without kids, compared to someone here with kids, compared to a single FO, compared to DEC, compared to an FO, whos been here for 3 to 4 + years and still no command course date, compared to a new joiner, still excited about the big move, will all give you a different view on the reality that is Dubai. To all of them, their differing view will truthfully be the only true view.

May I suggest that the only real way to see if it is right for you and your family, is to come on over and spend a week or two here. Ask the questions, look around and do the maths re pay etc yourself. It may seem like a very expensive thing to do, but it will be money well spent if either of you decide it’s not for you.

I believe recruiting are still saying 3 yrs to upgrade. We have over 100 FOs who have completed 3yrs without an offer of a command course. Over 70 of these guys have not been told of a course date up to Mar 08. They are however, watching guys 1yr Jnr to themselves upgrading on time on the other fleet. Be honest with yourself when you consider how well you will deal with this. 4 to 5 years ago, it was the Bus guys upgrading before the Boeing guys.

We have 95 aeroplanes in the PAX fleet. We have 1650 pilots, of which, 850 are FOs. So a new joiner today will need 95 x 2 aeroplanes in the fleet (give or take a few for retirements, resignations, DECs etc) before his/her number for upgrade arrives. So for the 3yrs to upgrade to work out, you would need EK to be expanding at 30 aeroplanes per year, for the next 3 years plus. To put this in perspective, in 2000/01 EK had 38 aeroplanes and 500 pilots. Afer a slow couple of years it doubled in size by 2003/4. These guys got their command in 3yrs, as the company doubled in size. To do this it needed to add 10 + aeroplanes per year. I think expansion is continuing around 15 or so new aeroplanes per year. As it gets larger, the time to command will expand. So I would suggest planning on 6, 7 or even 8 years to upgrade. If you get it sooner it will be a bonus. But you never know what will happen over here.

I am sure you have lots of friends over here already. Take their advice. But make sure this advice is right for you. Are they in the same circumstances family wise etc as you are? If not ask if they could introduce you to someone who is in the same situation. The salary figures are on the EK careers web site. Use these numbers. The exchange rate when transferring money home today (this was from Thomas Cook, the Banks were charging Aed3.05 to Aud 1) was Aed 2.99 to Aud 1. So divide by 2.99 to get the Oz equivalent. The over night allowance will not add much to your household income, if you plan on eating or drinking when away.

The good side is that you will get to fly to some places you would have never even imagined about. You will get to fly with some great fellas. You get the chance to sit in the front of some newish machines. But have a think about how you will feel, when after a year or two, you have got to see all the destinations, and this newish machine becomes just another device that keeps you from your bed.

For some this place is great. For others it’s barely tolerable. Take the time to make sure it is right for you. After all, it’s just a job.

Good luck mate.

Don

Scudsy
5th Apr 2007, 18:52
That is Excellent advice, I strongly recommend it!

:ok:

Wiley
5th Apr 2007, 20:30
Some people have mentioned the traffic. If you don't think it will become a huge and negative factor in your life should you come to Dubai, think again.

I've just returned from the airport. It took me one hour from the Bustan Rotana to Departures, (that's about one kilometre for those not familiar with Dubai), mostly because of cretins unwilling to wait and roaring up from the far left lanes and pushing their way in.

Some very unhappy campers among the drivers around me - and I suspect a few outbound passengers who might not have made their flights.

jumbo1
5th Apr 2007, 21:11
Very good post Don.
This place is certainly not for everyone. If you're coming for the right reasons (for yourself and your family) things will generally work out. If you're thinking a change will be good for a dodgy marriage or just feeling a bit adventurous... watch out. Things have a way of unravelling..fast.
Take Don's advice and come and have a look for yourself. Look past the glitsy stuff and concentrate on the day to day stuff - grocery prices, school availability etc etc. The ground worlk will save you from a potential minefield
Good luck with your decision Mate!
J.
:ok:

disconnected
6th Apr 2007, 02:51
Be prepared to watch your salary disolve on a daily basis due to
1) The exchange rate
2) The massive inflation. (largely driven by the exchange rate)

In the 10 years I have been here, my purchasing power has become less than 50% of its orginal.

There are no signs of letting up.

SRS.CLB
6th Apr 2007, 05:13
Thanks for the info Don.

I'm living in Hong Kong and working for CX as an FO. The main reason I'm looking at moving to Dubai is lifestyle. I enjoy my job here and the people I work with.

My son is 20 months old and has a chronic cough. Pollution is a major concern and I can't see us living here much longer.

I would appreciate it if anyone with small children can pm me and let me know about their lifestyle in Dubai with kids.

I have read most of the threads about EK and we have similar problems over here with our company.

I'm still considering my application and would like to find out as much as I can before I take my family to Dubai to see if they would be prepared to live there.

Thanks for the advise

Saltaire
6th Apr 2007, 10:31
I have to say that Dubai seems to be better for kids than HK. I have heard similar stories of people having to move within HK or just flat out leave due to high levels of pollution causing health issues.

Dubai is in such flux, it's difficult to predict even 6 months ahead. They just anncounced closure of a golf club that was home to many EK golfers for example. Beach clubs are still avail and quite good but you really need to check the place out.

SRS.CLB
6th Apr 2007, 11:55
Thank you Saltaire. I appreciate the reply. Will take my family to Dubai and have a good look around before I apply. I guess that will be the only way to do make up my mind.

Schnowzer
6th Apr 2007, 16:39
I wouldn't come here for the clean air. It is full of sand, dust and other crud with the inversion going up to 18k in the summer. A lot of people struggle in this environment with allergies too.

Scudsy
7th Apr 2007, 09:59
If you are moving to Dubai for clean air.....
THINK AGAIN!
There is a thick smog over the city most days. It's turning into Los Angeles very quickly. It is definitely something that is getting worse. I believe the high sulphur content of middle eastern oil means the trucks spew out vast ammounts of crap.
Dubai's air quality isn't that good and will only get worse as the increase in car and truck registrations is mammoth.
For a photo of the sky please google "dubai air quality" and see the UAE community blog link on the first page.
(couldn't get the hyperlink to work)
Scudsy

Dubai4Free
9th Apr 2007, 11:35
Yes, Move to Dubai for the clean air :rolleyes:

The only thing good about the air in Dubai was that they didn't charge you to breath it. I can't imagine the oppressive heat & humidity during the 9 month hell season.

Wizofoz
9th Apr 2007, 13:34
9 month hell season.

Confused,

Above is a perfect example as to why you shouldn't use PPRUNE as your sole source of information.

This idiot, whose entire experience of Dubai was a three day interview (SAYS he turned it down, UNCONFIRMED rumour he was rejected), rights crap like that.

3 Months of Summer- Hot, damed hot (Ok if you're with a Lady, no good if you're in the jungle (err..Desert)). Shoulder two months-hot but not unpleasent.

Rest of the year- rather nice actually!

Saltaire
9th Apr 2007, 14:29
There's pollution and then there's the fragrant harbour....dubai is a swiss hilltop compared to the sludge coming down from a little industrialized nation called China. It is getting worse in Dubai, no doubt, but there is really no comparison.

SRS.CLB
10th Apr 2007, 05:37
Thank you Saltaire. I have done a couple of flights to Dubai and I do agree.

Scudsy
10th Apr 2007, 07:33
Yes there are some lovely things about Dubai and some awfull things about Dubai. Pros and cons like any place on Earth.
I believe the question was based on a move from HK and was for the health of a child. If this is a serious question then the serious answer is go to Europe, Australia, or even many parts of the USA. Many places that have clean air. Dubai does NOT.
Dubai does not have good air quality IF you are trying to improve the lung health of an infant or child.
For the record, I am a fit and active adult and I was diagnosed with Pneumonia in my first year in Dubai! Was this down to poor air quality? I'm not sure. But one thing I am sure about is that the air is not clean.
I am completely serious about this. I was very surprised to get so ill. I started with a cough and it just got worse and worse. I was off work for some time. As I talked to other people I was surprised to find others who had also been affected with poor lung health and even pneumonia.
So, it may be better than HK but its not good.
The moon is a warm place, compared with Pluto.

fatbus
10th Apr 2007, 08:15
Search 7 days or the gulf news. I think ther was a good artical about how bad the air has got in the past couple of years. It's OK for 3-4 months after that it 's plain bad, mostly from cars which Dubai has put no limits on what so ever.I agree with the comments about lung problems.

gatvol2006
10th Apr 2007, 10:47
My man, if I have any advice for you, your kid will be far worse off here not only physically but mentally as well. Kids in Dubai are subjected not only to oil pollution but dust storms that you can't escape. Asthma is prevellant amoungst the locals. Street kids and shopping mall brats is what they will end up to be. So without thinking Emirates, if it is your kids.....STAY AWAY!!:eek:

Scudsy
10th Apr 2007, 15:19
There are lots of clubs and activities for kids. You can keep them busy. But it takes alot of driving to and fro as they are mainly outside of school. With the traffic getting so bad it is a difficult task. Easier if you can move into a villa somewhere close to the school or the activities they enjoy (sailing for example) but then the rents have skyrocketed and it makes moving out of company accomodation a difficult choice.

ruserious
10th Apr 2007, 18:56
Yeah, but in 2 years will there be any sailing, golf or (horse) riding, clubs left? As far as I can see they are closing them all down to build villas, resorts or hotels

SRS.CLB
11th Apr 2007, 01:28
Thanks to all for your views on living in Dubai. Considering everything, I will stay in Hong Kong for the time being. One of the negatives of being an expat is that we're all looking for what we had in our home countries being fresh air, lots of space for the kids to run around and play etc. Listening to my son coughing at night after spending an afternoon outside really does a number on me. :ugh: The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is almost empty and there is no sign of it ever filling up again. Are the sacrifices we make worth the reward, health and wellbeing of my family? OR Do I take my family back to fresh air, sunny skies and violent crime? I guess only time will tell.

All the best and happy landings.

BigGeordie
11th Apr 2007, 15:14
No job in the world is worth the health and wellbeing of you or your family.

birdieonfirst
11th Apr 2007, 15:25
I save absolutely nothing at the moment as a 737 F/O Would 7000dihrams be excessive per month as a first officer with EK?

You must be out of your f..ing mind... I've been here a little over 3,5 years on the airbus. Stuck in the right seat until who-knows-when and have amassed Dhs 60.000 on my creditcards. That is money I owe the bank, mind you!

Save Dhs 7000 a month? Get real:yuk:

:sad: BOF

gatvol2006
12th Apr 2007, 06:46
"No job in the world is worth the health and wellbeing of you or your family."

That is why my resignation is in!! Just that, not going to die for EK. Good bye all, wish you all the best in your endeavours. I can't describe the good feeling I have :)

vbrules
12th Apr 2007, 06:58
For an indication of the kind of attitude you can expect and feeling towards you please check out the thread about the new pay deal for locals.

777SandMan
13th Apr 2007, 14:06
For some reason the sewrage works in the vicinity of Silicon Oasis is a cause of concern. The smell with unfavorable winds is terrible. My kids are chronically ill with minor ailments.

The tap water should not be consumed. The water is perfectly pure after being desalinated - the distribution network is polluted!

Just another aspect to keep in mind. There are MANY!

fo4ever
14th Apr 2007, 05:53
Forget it and stay away.

As of 1st of May we can fly 151 block hr/month east/west/north/south. No rules.

You wanna die early then try it out!.