PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Flight Validation?

mercuray
4th Apr 2007, 17:30
Anybody know if the following is easily obtainable.
I have JAA ATPL & FAA ATP.
Light exec.jet needs to go from its base in Europe to have heavy maintenance in an engineering facility in another European Country.
It will be in for 10 days.
I have current valid (P1) Rating on my JAA Licence,and current SIC on my FAA ATP.The a/c is N-Reg.Part 91,based in Europe.
Question: Can I get a one-off validation to ferry this a/c as P1 To & From Maintenance,(Only the operating crew of 2 pilots would be aboard)?

Any info appreciated before I contact FSDOs or Frankfurt Field Office.

Thanks.

CL300
4th Apr 2007, 18:36
You have the rating on your JAR.. As long as you fly within JAR world, you can use your privileges for flying the N thing.. Check your FAR 61 for detailed infos. However I strongly recommende to advise your insurance...

mercuray
4th Apr 2007, 20:19
CL 300,

Thanks for speedy response.I thought that I had heard this somewhere in the past.I will read FAR61 in detail,and most definitely contact the insurance company. Cheers.

PorcoRosso
7th Apr 2007, 13:42
You have the rating on your JAR.. As long as you fly within JAR world, you can use your privileges for flying the N thing.. Check your FAR 61 for detailed infos. However I strongly recommende to advise your insurance...

Am not totally sure CL300 , you can normally fly a "N" reg A/C on behalf of your JAA Licence, as long as you stay within the national airspace of the licence issuing country... If you have a JAA -UK delivered- CPL/IR , then you can apply full privilege in UK Airspace, not outside . I may be wrong .

mercuray
7th Apr 2007, 14:20
Yes,raises an interesting point.I have since been into The JAA Pilot Licensing Overview.As far as They are concerned,most JAA Member States are fully signed up to accept each others aircrew licences.(It itemises each country).Certainly I have flown for 3 seperate JAA countries on my UK issued ATPL.Never once was there a hitch,or even a questioned raised,(correctly so).
As a layman,it appears that the US have not reflected that maybe they are not in a position in this day and age to seperate JAA countriies in their own legislation? Since Common Sense and "Law" are often not the same,I will have to dig deeper before I jump in the saddle.We will see.

B200Drvr
7th Apr 2007, 21:28
You CAN NOT fly an "N" reg aircraft across ANY international border(outside the country of your licenses issuing authority), including inside the EU if you are not type rated on that airplane on your FAA certificate, irrespective of what JAA/JAR license you have. As was said, if your license was issued in the UK that is the only place you can fly the "N" reg machine without a full FAA type rating irrespective of it being a Part 91 flight.

mercuray
7th Apr 2007, 22:46
You may well be correct.As of Sept.2005,FAA Type Ratings were introduced for FAA SIC,due pressure from ICAO.Thus,I am FAA Type-Rated,SIC,in addition to being current (PIC) Type Rated on my JAA.Try asking a JAA member state to issue you with their own ATPL,issued on the basis of your JAA ATPL issued by another JAA Member State.They will not,because you already have all those privaleges.In any event,I will be getting an answer from Oklahoma on Tues/Wednesday.From what I have gathered,it is likely that a ferry permit application would be considered in any event.Thanks for all the inputs.

erikv
8th Apr 2007, 12:36
I would be very careful using a JAA license anywhere in Europe. FAR 61.3 states "However, when the aircraft is operated within a foreign country, a current pilot license issued by the country in which the aircraft is operated may be used."

As Mercuray correctly points out, JAA member States accept each other's licenses. A license issued under JAR-FCL 1 is still issued by a specific State and therefore only acceptable within that territory. It would be different if the license were issued by the a single common body such as JAA/EASA.

I'm sure an insurance company will be more than happy to use a strict interpretation to avoid having to cough up...

Erik.

mercuray
8th Apr 2007, 14:41
I guess I will be surpised if I get a "Yes" next week from Oklahoma.I think the one-off Ferry Flights To & From Base/Maintenance Base may be granted from what I have been told by a FSDO Inspector.I will post the outcome for future reference.:ugh:

mercuray
16th Apr 2007, 16:36
Correct.Not allowed to cross the border of country of issuance.Thanks for all inputs