PDA

View Full Version : Cross country blunder in Tz

Mukosha
4th Apr 2007, 07:01
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone knows about a plane from Kenya that landed in Tanzania by mistake. All I know is that is was a student pilot doing a cross country from Nairobi, he got a bit lost and landed at a strip called Gelai West in Tanzania which is most definately unusable!! He tried to take off, narrowly missed a zebra and hit the trees at the end. Got out the plane and walked to a near by lake to get some water as he was pretty thirsty by now! Probably would have died if he wasnt found by some Masai as its a very remote and arid area!!

Any info??

Soap Box Cowboy
4th Apr 2007, 19:37
Have not heard about this one but sounds like a good one. I know of an incident about two or three years ago about an Ethiopian flying TZ aircraft into Kenya, when finding out where he was through talking to the locals he quickly high tailed it back south of the border, turns out he ended up finding his destination in the end, big stink got worked up about it. Suspended for two weeks by TCAA. Anyone who has flown out here for a while knows the full story.

flyhardmo
6th Apr 2007, 14:07
Heard about this but i dont have too much info. All I know is that the student was supposed to go solo to lake migadi, flew past it and ended up at Lake Natron quite far down. There was no SAR, all ATC did was ask a few planes to go and have a look. Apparently the student hasn't been found.