PDA

View Full Version : Private Pilot (Foreign Based) Privileges and Limitations

Ovation
4th Apr 2007, 06:45
Can you navigate through the FAR's and come up with an answer?

You have a Foreign CPL ME CIR-ME and are CFI for good measure. You have a US PRIVATE PILOT (Foreign Based) Certificate issued on the basis of the Foreign licence.

Does the FAA permit you to operate any (Nxxxx or Foreign) aircraft in US jurisdiction for "hire or reward" or "compensation" if it is a PRIVATE and not a COMMERCIAL certificate. The flight is ferrying an aircraft both within the US and from the US to the Foreign destination, and relevant excerpts from the US FAR are below.

FAR 61.113 and 131 make no distinction between US and Foreign registered aircraft.

What's your interpretation?

[i]FAR 61.133 Commercial pilot privileges and limitations.
(a) Privileges —(1) General. A person who holds a commercial pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft—
(i) Carrying persons or property for compensation or hire, provided the person is qualified in accordance with this part and with the applicable parts of this chapter that apply to the operation; and
(ii) For compensation or hire, provided the person is qualified in accordance with this part and with the applicable parts of this chapter that apply to the operation.

FAR61.113 Private pilot privileges and limitations: Pilot in command.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (g) of this section, no person who holds a private pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire; nor may that person, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft.

Check 6
5th Apr 2007, 01:01
To fly an N registered aircraft in the U.S. for hire you need a US FAA CPL. You already have a foreign CPL so you can fly your foreign aircraft in the U.S for hire while exercising the privileges of your foreign CPL.

This addresses licensing issues only. Flying a foreign registered aircraft for hire in the U.S. may require permission from another federal agency, but I am not positive.

I hope this helps but your question may require clarification, i.e. what are you really asking?