PDA

View Full Version : how to achieve an ATPL licence

aviator001
3rd Apr 2007, 18:41
i have being researching the modular route more so of late and i am begining to think that it is the way for me to go. however, one question is still a begging with me, it is a rather large question. i have looked it up in numerous areas and they all give vague recollection to eachother but none are the same. so here goes, my question is:

after ppl is attained and the atpl ground school exams are passed, how many hours minimum does one need to then do their M E rating, what is the minimum amount of hrs reqd to attain a M E rating. then how many hrs min does one need to do the CPL/IR and what is the total minimum hrs reqd to apply for a fATPL.

also is it possible to do CPL in a single engine aircraft and then do a ME/IR afterwards without facing any licence restrictions as opposed to doing ME then CPL/IR.

any help in this grey area for me would be great.:confused: :confused: :confused:

AlphaMale
3rd Apr 2007, 19:14
After ppl is attained and the atpl ground school exams are passed, how many hours minimum does one need to then do their M E rating?

I'm pretty sure I have seen FTO packages offering PPL/Night/IMC/MEP so maybe you can do a MEP straight after your PPL? But 75hrs seems to be the answer from what I can read below.

What is the minimum amount of hrs reqd to attain a M E rating?

Most FTO offer 6hrs in the AC over 3 days from what I have read. 2.5hrs of dual instruction under normal operations and 3.5hrs dual instruction under non-normal operations. Then there is the exam and test.

Then how many hrs min does one need to do the CPL/IR?

I think you need 150hrs before doing the CPL Licence but you can do the IR rating before your CPL.
Not sure how many hours your need to get the IR rating though?

And what is the total minimum hrs reqd to apply for a fATPL?

I thought you only needed a PPL and a Class 1 medical to apply for the ATPL exams? this will not give you an ATPL though (Consists of CPL/ME/IR/MCC).

Both in Europe and United States you have to be at least 23 years of age and have at least 1,500 hours of total flight time (500hrs of which must be on a multi pilot Aircraft, 200hrs night flying, 250hrs PIC, and 75hrs Instrument) before obtaining a unfrozen ATPL.

Also is it possible to do CPL in a single engine aircraft and then do a ME/IR afterwards without facing any licence restrictions as opposed to doing ME then CPL/IR?

I am pretty sure there is no problem here but if you can use a search engine then take a look around. ME-CPL and a ME-IR will probably put you in a better position for a job in the future.

I think the main points being the CPL is harder in a twin as you travel faster and this can make a small mistake turn into a disaster. Same applies to your ME-IR, The IR is considered by many pilots as the hardest rating to get (along with the TR) so having to do it in a twin aircraft is only making it harder on yourself.

Twin will be more expensive and harder to many prooners will ask is it worth it? I try and look at it from the employers seat and if the condidate is willing to push himself to get the CPL / IR in a twin that might just give the conditate an edge over another.

Not sure how accurate my replies are but I am sure somebody will either correct me or just move your post to the "Wannabe a pilot! (And I'm too damn lazy to do a search)" thread.

Good luck.

littco
3rd Apr 2007, 19:38
A fATPL is basically a CPL but with the ATPL written exams. When you have an fATPL (it physically doesn't exist) you are actually flying on you're CPL license, have an MEP, IR and approved MMC.

When you have 1500 hours, 500 of which must be on a multi pilot Aircraft, 200 hours night flying, 250 hours PIC, and 75 hours Instrument, then you can unfreeze the License(s).

MIKECR
3rd Apr 2007, 20:48
You need 75 hours before you can start the ME rating

mcgoo
3rd Apr 2007, 21:12
70 hours PIC for multi

aviator001
3rd Apr 2007, 22:22
thanks for all the info guys. you see its not that i am too lazy to research fro myself, i have done, and as is the case now, i was getting different answers to my question where i looked in different places. but thanks and keep the replies coming, its a great help.

scroggs
4th Apr 2007, 13:26
Read this: Archive Reference Threads - READ BEFORE YOU POST A QUESTION! (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649). In particular, read this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134076) therad contained within the one above.

Scroggs