PDA

View Full Version : Sir Bob Norman

Torres
2nd Apr 2007, 21:44
It is with great sadness I advise Sir Bob Norman passed away peacefully at 5.45 am this morning.

Bob was the last of the true pioneers of bush aviation. A Second World War RAAF bomber pilot, in the early 1950's Bob founded Bush Pilots Airways, later Air Queensland. In later life, Bob had a long association with James Cook University.

A gentleman, true pioneer of bush aviation and a great bloke whom I am very proud to have known.

The funeral will be held shortly after Easter.

ForkTailedDrKiller
3rd Apr 2007, 00:32
Sir Bob Norman - A gentleman, true pioneer of bush aviation.

Couldn't agree more.

I recently discovered that Sir Bob was a pilot with 459 SQDN, in which my father was a WAG.

Dr:cool:

Fox3snapshot
3rd Apr 2007, 06:25
Sad news indeed, I was home in the Territory only a few weeks ago and dusted off his book 'Bush Pilot' in Dad's study.

We were friends with Bob and many many years ago he flew over from Cairns to Katherine to pick us up in his Piper Aztec. He and Dad shared the flying over. It was an memorable trip as we had an oil leak in one of the engines....which ultimately ended up using far less oil than the good one! Magnificent experience though, he was a fantastic host and I will never forget it.

A true Ozzy aviation legend and feel so privileged to have known him.

:(

Hawk
11th Apr 2007, 22:34
Sir Bob died in Cairns on 3rd April aged 93. Founded Bush Pilots Airways, amonst other major community contributions. After a wake at the RSL a flypast by NQ Warbirds was held in his honour.

TwoHundred
12th Apr 2007, 01:49
A legendary aviator.

May you rest in peace Bob