PDA

View Full Version : UL cadet pilot program

Fantastic4
2nd Apr 2007, 15:11
Hello all! I just joined the forum, hope you can answer my questions. I am 21, living in the U.S. and working on my bachelor's degree. I will have it comleted by May 2008. I am also planning on starting my flight training in a couple of months. According to what I have read, to be qualified for the Sri Lankan cadet pilot program you must have your private, instrument, and commercial license as well as a bachelors degree? How is working for Sri Lankan? What would increase my chances of being selected as a cadet pilot? If I was selected, how long is the training process before being placed as a Jr. FO? I know a brother of a First Officer who flies the A340, and I am sure I can get a lot of information from him in the future. But, as I stated before, I have not yet starting my flight training. I would really appriciate any input/advise. Thanks.
-Fayaz

p.s. Of course the other option is to finish up all of my ratings here and work my way up to a major airline in the U.S. I thought the cadet pilot program would be a good option, since they will provide me the training.

newagebird
2nd Apr 2007, 23:30
Hey
well firstly when asking questions about the UL cadet program, just be careful and dont believe everything you hear about it on this forum. There are some on this forum who can be misleading (refer to earlier UL cadets posts).

Educational requirements are exactly what they say....you can join with just your A levels (which include specific subjects) OR a Bachelors Degree, so we both fall into this category.

Working for sri lankan...sorry cant answer that really but hearsay tells me theres a lot of politics. Still its a good start on an airline. I mean what airline lets u fly A320s with 300 hrs!!
Increase your chances of being a cadet...be very very good on theory..everyone fks up the tech exam...i havent done it yet but ive heard its bloody hard!!
I think the training process is conducted in singapore/dubai is about a year long...not entirely sure. You basically learn about the A320, then do SIMs and then go for a check flight...easy

All in all its good to try the cadet program...but don't hold out on it too much, its kinda a backup option at the moment. They only ask for applications every year or so...theres one coming at end of year.
Im no expert but its better to concentrate on your ratings for now and then look at jobs later..no point stressing out so early in your career.

Good luck
newagebird

Fantastic4
3rd Apr 2007, 00:51
thanks for an excellent reply. I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't hurt to give it a try when I reach the minimums, and don't push it too much. I have not at all made a solid decision to work for Sri Lankan, after all the aviation industry is beggining to boom in the U.S., so who knows what it will look like in a couple of years. I will keep an eye open though. Flying a big/complex airplane soon is not all about it right?

newagebird
3rd Apr 2007, 06:02
quoting : Flying a big/complex airplane soon is not all about it right?

yeh thats right..i got a mate who'd rather do agricultural airwork for the rest of his life..Guess it depends on the person, some prefer to be instructors but some prefer to fly the big jets. It comes down to one thing...are u prepared to have a life where you'll be travelling thousands of miles and be away from ur family almost half your life (dont be disheartened, it can be done) or do you wanna settle down and live in one country.
Best advice i can give you though is keep pushing through...degree courses are hard no matter how you look at it, especially with all the theory exams you do for your local aviation authority. The best part about getting to an airlines not when you get there but how you get there!
About the GA industry, guys like us, u in the US and me in Aus, at least we got something there...most blokes like the hong kong cadets, they have nothing so unless they get in through their cadet program, they can struggle to find jobs.
nyways gud luck
PM me if you have any more questions

UL501
4th Apr 2007, 10:37
Cadets are all MR s wish, he will the last call, he keeps spaces for all the captains sons etc and the relatives, so that he wants to keep them under his wings,,,,,this place will be One Big Family in the future...... Though he has 3 daughters ,, he finaly spreded the wings by making one of his daughters a Pilot in Englad on a grant,,, so sooner she will be the 4th Girl to join the UL cadet scheme in next years Intake.... so this MAN will delay the next intake and accomadate his daughter who will be here Once she completes the CPL at oxford...................................................... Well done milinda ,,,,, no wonder u opposed the idea of not taking anymore Girls etc etc,,,,,,,,,,Thats hsows how greedy these captains are to create space for their children and make this a Family ...................

uniform lima
4th Apr 2007, 17:21
HEY UL 501 WHAT HAPPENED TO SB DISSANAYKES SON U SAID HE WILL BE READY FOR THIS INTAKE WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM?????????????????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

WHEN HAS SHE BEGUN HER TRAINING????

USUALLY TAKES AROUND 60 WEEKS(15MONTHS) OR MORE TO COMPLETE A CPL @ OXFORD THATS ALSO IF THE STUDENT PASSES THE WRITTEN EXAMS IN FIRST ATTEMPT.

SO PERSONALLY I DONT THINK THEY WILL HOLD THE NEXT INTAKE FOR SOOOO LONG.

THERE MIGHT BE A EXPEDITE IN TRAINING SINCE SOME CADETS ARE TRAINING ON A330 AND SOME ON A320(AS PER THE OTHER THREAD POSTED BY WOLVERINE) SO 6 CADETS IN ONE A/C TYPE.(EXCLUDING JFO)

IN THE LAST YEARS BATCH THEY TRAINIED 14 CADETS ONLY ON 320 WITH A EXODUS OF INSTRUCTORS SO THEY WERE UNABLE TO FINISH TILL NOVEMBER 2006 AND THE ADD CAME IN JAN 2007.

SO AS PER THERE TRAINING SPEED THEY SHOULD BE DONE WITH THESE GUYS BY SEP/OCT THIS YEAR NOT NEXT YEAR.

IF IM WRONG CORRECT ME :ok: