View Full Version : MD80 tail exit

QRCC2B
1st Apr 2007, 20:27
Could anyone explain the procedure of closing the tail exit (stairs) and how this exit is actually armed? I have been trying to observe when cabin crew has performed this action but never been able to see it entirely. It looks like a hatch is folded down, is that correct?

Wodrick
2nd Apr 2007, 13:18
On the Starboard side of the stairway, just aft of the door, inside a hatch is a handle, push handle to closed position. Providing right hydraulics pressurised up comes the stairway. when in the fully up position it is possible to move the handle into the closed position where it latches into a detent.
Lowering is the reverse, although usually done by ground staff for safety using the external handle which is linked by a cable (inevitable on a Douglas) to the inside handle. Stairs will free fall without hydraulic pressure but may need "persuasion"

QRCC2B
2nd Apr 2007, 23:59
Wodrick, thanks for a great reply!

You say that the stairway is usually opened by ground staff safety, could you evolve this? I remember on one occassion when I flew the MD80 it was opened by the flight attendant. She even had to go down the stairs and push down the other half of the stairway using her feet as it didn't fully extend.

vapilot2004
3rd Apr 2007, 07:12
More than one carrier had no Down switch wired - only Up was possible from the inside on the original.

blah 3x ;)

Doug E Style
13th Apr 2007, 07:18
I assume there is an indication on the flight deck when this door is opened. It's just that a few weeks ago at LHR I heard the crew of such an aircraft call for start clearance. The controller obviously had a quick look out the window and replied "confirm fully ready for start?". "Affirm", came the reply. The controller then said, "It's just that it looks like your rear door is still open. Anyway, start approved and make sure it's closed before you go..."