PDA

View Full Version : BOAC RE: Girtbar

girtbar
1st Apr 2007, 18:28
Thank you BOAC for your help im not some 12 year old **** that cant use a search function, which i used more than once and still nothing came up. I had searched the internet before i posted here.

I understand that you guys provide valuble time moderating this site and thank you for it but really you p***ed me off with the blunt replies.

Apologies for taking up precious bandwith in a spotters fourm asking a genuine question about a genuine interest which still has only been part answered. I just wont bothered next time if i get flamed for such a simple thing!

Thank you.

Girtbar. :*

perkin
1st Apr 2007, 18:59
Umm, I don't like to stoke the fire, but out of interest I used the search function to search for 'edinburgh' and the edinburgh airport thread was displayed half way down the first page of results... :rolleyes:

I think it was requested by the admins some time ago that any spotters questions about specific airports were asked in the relevant airport thread...

girtbar
1st Apr 2007, 19:08
I wasnt aware that a questions had to be asked in the specific airport thread. I thought that since a Boeing 707 coming into Edi might have caused a few of the "spotters" to be out and about i would post it in the spotters forum.

Learnt for next time i suppose. :sad:

Hotel Tango
1st Apr 2007, 20:06
This is what the moderator states on the Airlines/Airports & Routes forum rules:
Please recognise that when spotters come on this forum they will be shunted to the Spotters forum.
Consequently I thought that girtbar's question was fit for the Spotters Forum and politely submitted my opinion (by private message) to BOAC. The moderator obviously believes otherwise (his prerogative) but found the need to tell me so in the same curt and patronising manner with which he berated you. Disrespectful and unnecessary I think.
Perhaps he's just having a bad day.

renfrew
1st Apr 2007, 21:07
I also think that BOAC's remarks are unacceptable from a moderator.

Carnethy
1st Apr 2007, 22:58
I too echo this unfair dismissal of this thread by BOAC. He/she is obviously an Edinburgh basher!lol. Joking apart, there was absolutely nothing wrong with this thread in my humble opinion.
Girtbar, check out "Taxiwayalpha" or "EGPHforum" for pics. (Notice no www's or dotcoms, etc so I'm not breaking the rules!).
For a moderator to dismiss this thread, I feel is wholly unacceptable. This rare occurance (a 707) at a British, aye Scottish, airport should be encouraged.
Perhaps BOAC's status as a moderator needs assessment... not the thread!!!

Jamie-Southend
2nd Apr 2007, 22:47
"Submit your comments to Specific Airport thread"

I would like to mention to those that do not know, if you have a spotting question, even if its something so minor as a route or registration from a particular airport, post it in the spotters section, under that airports thread. If there`s not a thread then start one.

Dont make the mistake i recently got involved in and mentioned movements for a particular day at SEN, in the Airlines, Airports & Routes, as spotting questions here will get you into big trouble, as i recently discovered to my cost. :8

PPRuNe Pop
3rd Apr 2007, 07:21
BOAC is not here, he is flying. So I am responding to this thread before it gets out of hand.

You guys need to understand a few things.

The first is that this site has rules. You signed up to them when you decided to join PPRuNe. This forum has rules, to prevent the mis-use of it by those who seem not to know any better - and there has been plenty of that. So much so that we designed these rules to ASSIST you to get the best out of the forum. The first step for anyone coming into this forum is then, to read the FORUM rules, its in nice big red letters for everyone to see.

The next thing to know is that the site has some 60 moderators, two on this forum, who give of their free time to not only exercise control over the content but to also help in any way we can. In turn, we as mods have rules to follow which are laid down by the owner.

We have on Spotters more young guys and girls who have a real interest in aviation who like nothing better than to come here to have a bit of fun and to gain an insight into aviation in general. All aviation 'nuts' are spotters in one form or another almost every day of their lives and PPRuNe is a great source for information and debate.

We also have people who can be a real pain. Who upset the balance of the forum. That is where moderators come in, to control, advise and assist whenever we can. It is not an easy job at times because of those who clearly cannot see that the forum is not just for them. The forum is here for anyone who is interested in gaining knowledge for their hobby or just using it for fun.

We have designed the forum, although BOAC did most of it, to give you a maximum opportunity to access particular interests, airfields is just one. To do this you have to use the search function. The best way is to use the 'Search this forum' button on the FIRST page (NOT thread) to find what you want. For example: Put Edinburgh in the box and you will get 4 pages relating to EDI in one form or another - in red, on any page that the word appears. If you cannot find an item you are doing it wrong or it doesn't exist.

Now to Girtbar's post. You clearly have not been doing it right have you? Couldn't find EDI, three threads and still you didn't follow the rules. No wonder you irritated BOAC. But, you do not have the right to slag him off because you cannot follow links. You solve it, it's there if you do it right. Your third post was a step too far and your access to the forum is removed for a while to allow you to cool it and get some manners. I have now deleted that post. There is no need for abuse. Zero tolerance in this case.

So the sheep that followed his/her post should also understand that we are NOT open to abuse or bashing. We have a difficult job to do which, in the main, we much enjoy, but we will not be subjected to the angst of your own shortcomings. Ask, and we will help if we can. We have the experience to provide answers, although you will find that these might well come from the more knowledgeable amongst the readers.

Don't whinge and childishly rant, that will get you nowhere. And don't bash us. Remember we have the tools to spoil your particular access to PPRuNe if you do.

Enjoy PPRuNe. That is what it is here for.

PPP

Hotel Tango
3rd Apr 2007, 09:49
Thank you for your input PPRuNe Pop. I fully sympathise with the frustrations moderators can have when posters don’t follow your rules or are deliberately disruptive. Sometimes, despite your best efforts to guide potential posters in the right direction they get it wrong. If you wish to volunteer your services as a moderator I think an infinite amount of patience and good humour needs to come with the job. The reason I got involved was only because I felt that Girtbar could have been treated a little more kindly in the first place. Yes he got it wrong (so did I) but it may have been wiser to offer a friendly reminder (this could be by means of a standard template) of what procedures this particular forum wants the poster to follow rather than – as in the first instance – simply deleting his post, and the tone used in the second instance. At the same time it will provide a reminder to others reading the thread. Not being English, it took me several attempts to finally understand BOAC’s point. I was initially confused by the fact that the AIRLINES & AIRPORTS forum also has an EDINBURGH thread and I (wrongly) thought he was referring to this – when this was for sure not the place to post a “spotting” question. I hope that both you and BOAC will consider my “standard” friendly reply as an option to try and avoid these confrontations arising in the future. With my apologies to BOAC and kind regards from a foreign sheep ;)
Hotel Tango

P.S. For additional info, my confusion arose from the fact that using the main search function the first and only reference to EDINBURGH (the clue that BOAC gave) was the thread in the Airlines & Airports forum.

BOAC
3rd Apr 2007, 13:32
Thank you PPP: I sometimes wonder how large I need to make the RED letters in the forum notice:ugh: .

I had already stepped them up one size and it appears they need to go up again.

Once again, for those who do not understand NOTICES .

They are meant to be read, and we hope, as moderators, that our users abide by the contents.

Both in the NOTICE, and the forum sticky, is a link to a list of regular, repeated topics, one of which is Edinburgh Airport. Not in Airlines, but in this very forum where the NOTICE is.

So, once again in case some of our users missed it.

Read the NOTICE

If the topic is already listed, post there.

Fairly simple, I hope?

Carnethy
3rd Apr 2007, 21:10
Hi there

I'd just like to say that I've just read through all the rules & regulations & hope that I've taken some of them in! :hmm: I now recognise, in retrospect, that the original topic had been repeated, and as such, was not in compliance with the forum rules.
BOAC, I respect your status as a moderator and realise this must take up a great deal of your time but it was the wording of your original post regarding Girtbar which I think was taken as offensive & unnecessary by some fellow readers of these forums. I trust that this was not the case, as echoed by "Pop", and on reading your last post see that you have a very dry & sarcastic sense of humour :ok: I very much like a sarcastic humour though others may feel affronted by such satire, leading to some of the comments above.
Anyway BOAC, hopefully your advise has been read & ingested and we can now all get on with our aviation related business in a friendly & cheerful manner.

BOAC
3rd Apr 2007, 21:38
Subject (and Mods) exhausted.

Hopefully all will now post on the appropriate threads, thereby avoiding repetition. They are not difficult to find.