PDA

View Full Version : RFDS QLD section

pylonracer
1st Apr 2007, 11:13
To any concernd in the qld section rfds.

Can I say first of all that it is admirable the work that you do and the "Mantle of Safety" you provide is clearly respected by all in the QLD community.

However as far as an aspiring applicant is concerned you're requirements seem to be... um.. less than realistic for the position sought in this current environment!

Copied from website here

Essential Qualifications and Experience:

Australian Commercial Pilot Licence
Current Command Instrument Rating (Multi-engine) with two renewals
2000 hours as Pilot-in-Command
1000 hours as Pilot-in-Command of a multi-engined aircraft
200 hours night operations as Pilot-in-CommandMust also have:

a sound work ethic
Demonstrated maturity and stability of employment
Excellent communication skills
A philosophy sympathetic to the ideals of the RFDS
An empathy for the bush and its people

It is essential that candidates seeking employment with the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia (Queensland Section) understand that important emphasis is also given to the following Desirable Qualifications and Experience.

It is unlikely that any candidate will enjoy all of the characteristics listed below; nevertheless they form an important part of the recruitment process.

Desirable Qualifications and Experience:
Current Australian Air Transport Pilot Licence
5000 hours as Pilot-in-Command
3000 hours as Pilot-in-Command of a multi-engined aircraft
500 hours as Pilot-in-Command at night
2000 hours as Pilot-in-Command of a turbo-prop or turbo-jet aircraft
Grade One Instructor Rating (Multi-engine) or military equivalent
Check Pilot Experience within a CAR 217 Organisation
Minimum eight Instrument Rating Renewals completed
Demonstrated willingness to reside within a remote area
Pilots with turbo-prop experience preferred
mmmm

Important emphasis on the "Desirable Qalifications and Experience"! ... As a long term applicant with still no opportunity!..... That PC12 out there in the bush must be akin to the space shuttle.... Cause it seems to be easier to get a job with just about any airline in the world, be paid more, and have a better base than it is to try to remain within Australia on one of our single engine turbo props!

Any one have some insight as to the reasons for this!

air med
1st Apr 2007, 11:36
first off, they dont have single engine turbines at that section.
Secondly they can ask for any requirements they like.

puff
1st Apr 2007, 11:39
Air med, QLD section has 3 PC12s, one each at Charleville, Isa and Cairns

air med
1st Apr 2007, 11:40
iam truly sorry for the mistake, wont happen again.

puff
1st Apr 2007, 11:43
Wasn't having a go mate!!

air med
1st Apr 2007, 11:46
thats ok Puff, just bit angry at myself on a stupid mistake.

compressor stall
1st Apr 2007, 11:47
Without getting into a p!ssing contest on the exact number of hours stated above (and they are guidelines as indicated) the experience requirements for RFDS are, and should be, higher than an FO on any heavy metal.

IMHO the pay should reflect this too. If it did, there would be very little turnover.

If you are the long term applicant, have you contacted them to find out why you have been overlooked?

BTW - some of the desirable quals make it sound like there is an upcoming C&T position, not just line pilot skills.

Torres
1st Apr 2007, 11:53
1. They pay the money, they ask whatever qualifications they want.

2. The admirable operations they carry out, including night emergency flights, requires special skills and experience.

I live in the bush. The RFDS pilots walk on water!! :ok:

puff
1st Apr 2007, 12:32
pylonracer,
Straight up, you seem like the kind of person who wants to get into the above mentioned organisation, work there for 1-2 years, get some turbine time, then off you go to your airline job. Forgive me if I am wrong.

Unfourtanate for many hour building, airline wanting pilots, being the smart organisation that the Royal Flying Doctor Service is, they keep the minimums high, to ‘weed out’ the one’s who couldn’t be bothered ‘hanging around’ to get into the organisation. They are not what you would call a stepping stone. They are more of a long term employer to which you give the minimum return of service as agreed in your gentlemens agreement at the start, and then if you’re in it for the right reasons you will stay for many years afterwards.

You will find most of the pilots in the RFDS, even now, are quite happy where they are, and don’t want to move on to anything else. That’s the kind of job it is. It’s for those who find flying at FL380 for 4hrs straight boring, and enjoy the people on people role that the RFDS gives.

There are many pilots who were born in the country, and would rather live in a regional centre, doing the job the RFDS pilots do and gaining the job satisfaction that you end up with at the end of every day. To them, it’s not about the hours you do every year, nor the countdown until they can go for their Qantas interviews, because most of them don’t want to.

A friend of mine went through the interview process with the QLD section some time ago now. Of most interest was that the flying component was a very small part of the interview. The biggest part was trying to suss out exactly what kind of person you were, and if you ‘fitted the mould’ of the RFDS. It is a small team environment you work in every day, and it is most important that you’re there to get the best outcome for everyone, and not just gain the most hours in a day you can.

So, yes, the RFDS QLD Section does have high requirements. But if you’re aiming for the RFDS and the very satisfying and enjoyable job that comes with it, and not that $120,000 a year job in Qantas, then you don’t really care what the requirements are. If you have the right sort of attitude, the maturity, and the determination, you will enjoy the ride that is GA and enjoy the satisfaction when you finally do land that RFDS job.

Ohh, and one more thing…. QLD’s minimum’s are actually (I’m pretty sure) the lowest of all the sections. :ok:

air med
1st Apr 2007, 12:40
couldnt have said it any better, well worded Puff.

Pee Three
1st Apr 2007, 12:53
Puff, that may be true with QLD's prereqs (being the lowest hr wise) but I think you'll find most successful applicants are closer to the 'desirables' in pylonracer's post. The last time I heard QLD section's average pilot hours were around 8-9 thousand, with usually at least a third of that at night.
Pee Three
ps Gidday Torres back in NQ after nearly 7 years in the desert with Westops!!!

Torres
1st Apr 2007, 16:15
G'Day Pee Three. Took me a minute there .... but the memory returns. The lad is there also. No doubt you've run into him?

sunny77
2nd Apr 2007, 00:45
Pylonracer,
maybe you should update? I hear there is a changing of the guard in the recruitment section there. I also hear there is a shortage of pilots too.
As for the requirements listed, puff has said some admirable things. The small-team work is the major part of the job. RFDS is really quite different to any other pilot job in that you are part of a small team (doctor, nurse, pilot, and of course the coordinating doctors/team remotely located who can be a challenge to deal with) that lives in each others' pockets when on shift. Also, the bases usually are quite small, so everyone needs to get on with each other both at work and socially. When you work with a good team it's the best job going. Combine that with making real and tangible differences in peoples' lives it is the best job around. If you have people who are not team players, then you wish you were back in your old job! QLD Section has quite a few of the new B200s with the Proline 21 avionics, so the gear is good.
The requirements for pilots are based not so much on flying skills, but more on the maturity in the individual and he/she's arimanship ability too. The ability to make a safe, accurate aviation decision (which pilots do from time to time) with someone's life in the balance is not something that can be taught, but life skills and maturity can help with. Unfortunately there is no endorsement or qualification that RFDS can list on their minimum qualifications to reflect this, so the hours and experience have to show it. Look up Compressor Stall's posts from a few years back and you'll find a good description of the reason for life skills and aviation experience. (High Stally, how's the cold?)

bushy
2nd Apr 2007, 06:37
The east coast has lots of facilities and infrastructure which does not exist in the outback, so many things are different. The job IS different.
One of the basic things a real outback pilot knows about is the hostile climate, and isolated airfields with no telephones etc. You NEVER drop pax at a strip and fly away until you know that there is transport for them. If no one is there you "buzz' the community until someone does come out.
If you are not a bushman you should not be out here. The flood of city slickers with short term agenda's are out of place.
In recent times there has been a case of a pax who died after being dropped off and left alone at the airstrip.
Don't know who the operator was, but it MUST be fixed.

hurlingham
2nd Apr 2007, 10:07
Just out of interest I think you will find that a couple of the recent new pilots are reasonably young and with just the minimum essential requirements.

My understanding is that the right attitude plays a very big part in your employability.

morno
2nd Apr 2007, 11:11
Hurlingham, I believe you are correct. :ok:

morno

maxgrad
2nd Apr 2007, 12:19
Bushy,
Interesting reply/statement to a thread called RFDS QLD section.
You may want to think about starting a new thread on that subject and not mistakenly imply QLD RFDS are involved, (imply by the fact you mentioned it on this thread)
You may also want to gather more information on the sad incident.
For the record..I was not the pilot of that flight nor have anything to do with either company.

The new gear in theBE200 makes life as a single pilot in medivac type conditions a hell of a lot easier.
The decision making and overall picture are a huge part of the job.

Torres
3rd Apr 2007, 00:10
You'd expect a tight ship with a very professional, experienced and respected Chief Pilot who has probably forgotten more than others know about aviation and leadership. A great team, revered out here in the bush! :ok:

gaunty
3rd Apr 2007, 01:35
I sincerely hope they find what they are looking for.:ok:

BUT

Almost overnight the whole pilot employment paradigm has changed. The bar in our org is set about the same as theirs, the number of pilots that can get to jump over it, let alone pass the "people friendly" test is becoming visibly smaller even unto invisible.

The only alternative is to change the employment paradigm without lowering the standards.

It means you have to lower the bar (sometimes a lot) and look a lot harder at individuals who previously may not have made the first cut. There is real quality there even down to quite low experience levels. We have the luxury of two crews ops so we are able to mentor these guys with an experienced Capt beside them. We are also paying the price of the lack of higher level industry training opportunities available to aspirants. Our training budget is now a whole lot bigger than we intended.

One thing that sticks out like the proverbials is the general lack of a broad aviation knowledge base and awareness of the enormous advances in cockpit technology that have taken place just in the last 10-15 years. Cuppla days to get to grips with the flying, cuppla weeks to learn the gizmos in the cockpit.

Had an excruciatingly delicious shadenfraude experience just recently when an "experienced old hand, proclaimed guru and legend in his own lunchbox endorsed on type" picked up a "modern" all glass aircraft we had just sold. The reply to the offer of "can our Chief Pilot to give you a bit of a run through before you go" was in the mode of "run along sonny". One and a half hours later with the engines running and heads down in the books and much gesticulating from within the cockpit they taxied away to TO. I have a feeling they may have departed on the STD BY gear.:{

Moral of the story? It's a whole new world out there and it only arrived last week.:}

Desert Flower
3rd Apr 2007, 06:25
Hurlingham, I believe you are correct.

Well you'd know wouldn't you Morno?!
DF.

Apollo 100
3rd Apr 2007, 07:26
There are interesting times ahead for the whole aviation community with respect to experience levels required. The RFDS QLD section is no exception and the pot of potential applicants with the required experience levels is clearly drying up. A previous post eluded to the fact that there are some very capable younger pilots who do not have those sorts of experience levels required but have nevertheless been considered and in some cases been appointed. You can rest assured that these individuals are screened very carefully and their training and probationary period are monitored extremely closely.

The moral of all this is that it does not hurt to send in a well-constructed covering letter and CV to any employer, including the RFDS if you think you have the right stuff.

By the way, you will be hard pushed to find a more rewarding job IMHO.

Cheers

gaunty
3rd Apr 2007, 07:56
Apollo 100:D :D :D :D

And go to say, the Rockwell Collins site and download their Proline and FMS simulator software and get some idead and practise so that when you get the interview you have some idea on how the modern aircraft cockpit works.

It's the greatest thing since sliced bread but can be a nightmare if you dont know how it all works.

morno
3rd Apr 2007, 08:06
Well you'd know wouldn't you Morno?!
DF

Maybe, :E....

Gaunty, none required. They expect you to know nothing about the thing. Trust me, someone I know pretty well had never seen the thing in action, yet still passed the interview, :ok:. They turn all the fancy stuff off for you to make it simple and push all the buttons for you.

morno

gaunty
3rd Apr 2007, 08:18
Apollo 100:D :D :D :D
And go to say, the Rockwell Collins site and download their Proline and FMS simulator software and get some idead and practise so that when you get the interview you have some idea on how the modern aircraft cockpit works.
It's the greatest thing since sliced bread but can be a nightmare if you dont know how it all works.

Dont you just hate that.

Morno mate go have a look anyway its the overall interest anf general knowledge you show what separates the men from the boys in interviews.:ok:

Apollo 100
3rd Apr 2007, 08:34
The more you know about an employer and their equipment is only a good thing when it comes to interview time. If it comes down to two candidates, the one who has put in the extra bit of effort in his/her research will probably pick up the job. Especially if you get me as an interviewer.... :E

OpsNormal
3rd Apr 2007, 09:37
Just off topic for a moment, a big thank-you to the person who responded to the sensitive request to do with a company name and posting here on this thread.

Many many thanks for your understanding and subsequent actions. Big thumbs-up!! :ok: :ok: :ok:

Regards,

OpsN.;)

gaunty
3rd Apr 2007, 12:10
Sorry folks.

It was the Garmin site that has the simulator I was thinking of. I'm sure there is a Collins one as well and when I find it I'll post it. FYI

Garmin 530/530A top RH corner of this page.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gns530/

hurlingham
7th Apr 2007, 06:02
pylonracer

You must have upset someone.

I hear on the grapevine that two young pilots have a start shortly.

Under Dog
8th Apr 2007, 05:47
Redflags

I think I could back you up on that one.I also have worked for a couple of sections and I reckon Westops management would have be up there with the best of the worst.(they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery)

Regards The Dog

Tee Emm
9th Apr 2007, 09:26
You will find most of the pilots in the RFDS, even now, are quite happy where they are, and don’t want to move on to anything else. That’s the kind of job it is. It’s for those who find flying at FL380 for 4hrs straight boring, and enjoy the people on people role that the RFDS gives

The other side of the coin is they would really love to fly passenger jets but just haven't be able to crack an interview.

bushy
10th Apr 2007, 00:36
There really are some who do not wish to fly big jets. It really is not important to have the flashest car in the car park, or the biggest plane on the field.
That stuff is for salesmen.

the wizard of auz
10th Apr 2007, 03:29
Hear hear Bushy. some people just don't get it. I'm certainly happy staying in GA and making the best of the opportunities it can provide. :ok:

j3pipercub
10th Apr 2007, 05:01
So you figure that the RFDS drivers can't crack an airline interview eh? HA! Keep talking, but i suggest you change feet first

GIVEN: There are some guys that are trying to get out but all in all, the large majority of the blokes are in for life, or close to it.

The flying is some of the most challenging and rewarding that anyone will ever do, and given the ROE the RFDS QLD Section has been sustaining with nil accidents is an awesome reflection on the ability and professionalism of all of the blokes.

A very well respected ATO was once asked why he never went to the airlines, he said quite simply that he had friends who made it and after six months in the airlines all they wanted to talk about were the 3 S's

Sex
Superannuation
Seniority

:}

j3

maxgrad
10th Apr 2007, 06:41
Bushy,
Got my vote

Track Direct
11th Apr 2007, 04:50
Tee Emm

I know of many experienced RFDS drivers with 7000-9000 hours who are not the slightest bit interested in flying for an airline.
They are operating very nicely equipped turbines and enjoy 10 days off at home every month with their families with no overnights.:ok:
Most of them are happy with their lifestyle and would'nt swap it for an airline roster. They simply don't wish to be away from their families for days/nights on end.:=
Flying an A320/B737 is not the be all and end all for lots of reasons,the RFDS guys who meet the requirements for the airlines are in most cases, already there, the ones that remain, do so out of lifestyle choice.:D
Not everyone wants an airline interview.:ugh:

Under Dog
11th Apr 2007, 08:43
Track Direct

Couldn't have said it better me self.

Cheers The Dog

A37575
11th Apr 2007, 11:09
By the way, you will be hard pushed to find a more rewarding job IMHO

Joking of course? Cathay and Dragonair pay ten times more and better serviced aircraft and more interesting destinations.

gliderboy
11th Apr 2007, 11:26
A3575:confused:

Mate

KA destinations are not interesting. Seeing the runway about 3 seconds before landing (because of pollution) is not interesting. The pay is good but the bucket of ****e is getting thicker.

Re the RFDS: hats off to you guys and gals. I reckon what you are doing is true aviation, and at the same time it is saving lives. It doesn't get better than that in my book.

A jealous Gliderboy:D

Apollo 100
11th Apr 2007, 12:09
A37575
No I'm not joking. I have been "fortunate"? to have been previously employed in a high paying job - many times what the RFDS pays, however the job satisfaction was limited to the opening of my pay packet at the end of the month. I'm not saying that the RFDS is all blue flashing lights and Med 1's, in fact there are relatively few, but when it does happen, and your arrival does save a life, that is real job satisfaction. In my 22 years of professional flying in 5 countries I stand by my statement that you will not find a more rewarding job!

Sarcs
12th Apr 2007, 00:05
Couldn't agree with you more Apollo 100, in my old section I used to call them (rewarding flights) the one percenters (eg Mercy Flight due limited lighting ie car headlights or a road landing). Those one percenters made all the difference when having to deal with mainly P3 inter hospital transfers that bored the socks off you and had you wondering why the patients couldn't just go commercially. The unfortunate part about RFDS is that management has gotten too big and is now trying to run the service like a corporation, guess that is just a reflection of the times we live in!!

maxgrad
12th Apr 2007, 01:11
Apollo 100
Probably just preaching to the converted sir. Some like high powered race boats and some like racing yachts.
Emergency service aviation is one of those animals that some choose and enjoy where others don't.

On a different note...does the collins proline gear go U/S due to temp or humidity, (Is it just a case of an aircon in the machine while it's on the ground?)

Apollo 100
12th Apr 2007, 03:52
Haven't had any problems with temperature as it has its own environmental controller (ie bloody big fan). Have had a few unexplained start up problems which may have been moisture related. No real proof of this however and the problems soon rectified themselves without any maintenance action. Overall it seems to be a fairly robust bit of equipment.

cheers

Under Dog
18th Apr 2007, 23:04
Redflags

Couldn't agree with you more.
QLD section are lot more focused on their human resoures and retaining
staff where as SE section have a not negotiable attitude.(If you don't
like what we hand out then leave.)
This attitude I believe leads to a higher staff turn over which in the end
cost them more money in retraining new staff .

Regards The Dog

swab
28th Jul 2007, 07:22
Its been on the cards for a while but the decision is getting closer. That is a small jet for neo natal retrievals to be based in brisvegas. I heard they were trialling one the other day. Sorry but don't know what type.

megle2
28th Jul 2007, 09:46
I suppose you mean the Cessna Encore + flogging around Brisbane last week on demo's to all showing an interest.

PPRuNeUser0161
26th Sep 2010, 09:33
So how are things in sunny QLD these days? Anyone know whats the deal with getting a job with QLD section? More to the point do you have to start in the bush or is a coastal slot possible?

The EBA looks OK and is almost as generous as Western ops I see.
SN

hurlingham
29th Sep 2010, 22:33
Rumour has it that a couple of slots may be available very soon - one on the coast

Razor
30th Sep 2010, 20:45
I remember when I cracked 5000hrs not long after joining the RFDS Qld about 13 yrs ago. We got together for a couple of drinks. We did a hrs count and worked out there was over 60,000hrs experience in GA/RFDS style ops in the room - 5 pilots!
The best job in the world.

VFRSTAR
3rd Oct 2010, 19:20
Any current RFDS pilots from QLD or WA could point me in the right direction as to who the best person to speak with in regards to employment in those places? You can PM if you'd prefer. Thanks in advance.

VFRSTAR
10th Oct 2010, 01:38
Thanks TKFS, however I wasn't looking for the generic email that every person with a license around the world bombards with CV's. I was looking for a person who might give me someone to talk to, which someone else gave me without the attitude. :ok:

Howard Hughes
11th Oct 2010, 06:26
That took less then 3 minutes on google. And I heard that it is the only way to apply now that HR have control
Not so, as with all RFDS sections, knowing who to talk to can make a huge difference...;)

PPRuNeUser0161
15th Oct 2010, 00:00
hurlingham
Which coastal base? I heard all jobd are offered internally before being advertised externally. Surely someone from Charlieville or Mount Isa would want the coast?
SN

bushy
15th Oct 2010, 00:08
Why would they?

PPRuNeUser0161
15th Oct 2010, 00:11
Well, its the coast Vs the desert! Maybe its just me. Anyway I believe the EBA says all jobs are first offered internally.
SN

puff
15th Oct 2010, 06:55
Soup Nazi, gotta remember most of the guys with the RFDS aren't city guys doing their time in the bush before getting back to the coast, they are country guys and don't see an Isa or a Charleville base as doing their 'time'. They are more than happy to be out there. Some of them prefer the flying out in the western bases too, they tend to get more of medivacs, where a lot of the coastal bases do a lot more patient transfer work hospital to hospital.

Very few seem to consider the RFDS in QLD a job for a year until the airlines, it's more of a career that people aspire to do.

bushy
16th Oct 2010, 04:03
Quite correct and well said Puff. If more GA organisations had experienced, long term pilots like the RFDS have, then the industry would be much better, and much safer.
The apprenticeship really does last about 5000 hours.
The opeople of the utback need, and depend on good light aircraft services far more than those living within the j curve. A high level of local and environmental knowledge is essential, and newbies from the city do not have that. Many are good people and can learn, but it takes time.
The RFDS have proven that it is possible to run a respected, safe operation with light aircraft in outback Australia. They have had the moral and financial support of the whole nation, and that is as it should be. Most other GA organisations do not have that.
We have to figure out why much of the GA industry is generally not up to this standard. One of the major factors is the short term thinking and lack of committment of many of those who are using it as a "stepping stone" to something else, and want to get there quickly. These people should go to an airline cadetship instead of GA.

PPRuNeUser0161
16th Oct 2010, 11:19
Puff
Most of the pilot's in QLD are on the coast and not the inland. In any case there are a number of reasons why some pilots may wish to move to the coastal centres even though they may persanally prefer the country areas. Education for children etc.
SN

morno
17th Oct 2010, 06:39
Most of the pilot's in QLD are on the coast and not the inland

That's because there's only 2 bases inland (without there needing to be more).

The inland bases have quite a stable complement of pilots, who enjoy the work and the lifestyle of living in those places. Good variety of work as well, with the clinics, evacs, transfers.

morno

PPRuNeUser0161
18th Oct 2010, 09:34
OK, so take out the inland bases (cause i am already inland and have been for many years), which coastal is most likely to turn over pilots?
SN

B58
18th Oct 2010, 10:05
Soup

YBRK

PPRuNeUser0161
18th Oct 2010, 10:14
Thank you Sir.
SN

CAPTAIN-C2H5OH
14th Jul 2013, 05:21
Just like alittle info please, what are best bases to work at in RFDS QLD, ie shifts, lifestlye etc. For example, Yeppoon near Rockhampon looks like a great place to live, but I have heard you fly your b#t off???

Is there an opportunity to move to YBBN after a couple of years?

Any comments would be appreciated

C2H5OH:)

Wally Mk2
14th Jul 2013, 07:58
I'd be interested to know also as a back up plan but I know the CP of the QLD section (if he's still the same guy) & at the risk of hanging myself here would rather not:E

Wmk2

InDaBack
14th Jul 2013, 09:18
From the amount of times RFDS come here to pick up patients, usually via another town, they do a lot of work out of Rocky, and then depending on patient, may end up going to Brisbane.

Looking at flightaware, the aircraft in QLD don't seem to have a lot of downtime, and with the way the health system is going in the state, it will only mean an increase in workload for the crews.

One thing to take into consideration is the cost of living, especially rent in places like rocky due to the mines and the increase in prices as businesses cash in on the higher wages earned by the FIFO miners.

Any where on the central coast is going to be expensive, Rocky, Mackay, Gladstone, not sure where all the bases are.

avconnection
14th Jul 2013, 14:31
You might not get a choice, from the sounds of things, you'll have to cut your teeth at the country bases first. Speaking with a friend, 5000hrs with RFDS WO is still not enough to get a coastal base straight off.

That said, take a look at their EBA, its on FWA's site. I'm pretty sure they're limited to 650 Flt hrs per 365 days; the planes might be up all the time but they have more than a handful of pilots. Probably doing roughly 110-115 duty per month.

Swamp Duck
16th Jul 2013, 12:15
RFDS QLD has seniority so all positions are advertised internally prior to external recruiting. High experience makes no difference other than getting the job in the first place and 5000 hrs would be considered low time with the average recruit more like around 10000 hrs.
Well worth it though, best job in the country, awesome organisation and great flying :)

Wally Mk2
16th Jul 2013, 12:48
'Ducky' yr right about an awesome job, good organization to work for but they do have their issues being multi-sectioned across Oz.
I know the Qld base is or was once upon a time a real 'boys' club once hence the high hrs they sort.

Like the saying goes.....'good if you can get it':ok:

Wmk2

RFDSEnthusiast
17th Jul 2013, 11:44
1 PC12 at Charleville VH-FDP AND 2 PC12'S @ MT ISA VH-FDC AND VH-NQB

hurlingham
17th Jul 2013, 17:34
Wal

Once upon a time is right

Several young & 'light on time' pilots have been given starts in the past & all are doing very well. I have no doubt that others will get a chance in the future.

PPRuNeUser0161
3rd Sep 2013, 22:22
650 hours is a lot for SP IFR. You earn your money boys and girls!
SN

outnabout
4th Sep 2013, 05:47
Also heard a rumour that RFDS are being forced to move to charter, not just airwork...as always, willing to be corrected.

wishiwasupthere
4th Sep 2013, 07:02
About 2/3rds of the way down.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - August 2013 (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101630)

PPRuNeUser0161
5th Sep 2013, 12:38
I know SE Section has been charter for years, assume the rest are the same. It's easier that way considering who they carry on clinics etc.

SN

ControlLock
7th Sep 2013, 00:25
Quick check of CASA AOC register has the Qld section already approved for charter as below.

Operations: International Operations; Aerial Work; Charter (Charter over 5700 kgs)

All Air Ambulance operations are under review to bring in line with overseas operators.
Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Better safety for air ambulance flights (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_101620)

Wally Mk2
7th Sep 2013, 00:41
Personally I see the net result of such a move as muted by CASA as being very little as the mission wouldn't change a bit.
Some of the RFDS work is contractual & the conditions imposed within that contract usually far outweigh any CASA pilot hrs req's for Eg in Chtr Cat.

Wmk2

PPRuNeUser0161
23rd Jan 2014, 11:23
Probably for good reason. The job requires no training and checking qualifications and as a result the CP is pretty much a desk bound paper shuffler. Central also only operate the PC-12 which keeps things nice and simple and they are not known for being good payers.

Still, a good lead-in gig for someone looking to get into CP work.

SN

Duck Pilot
23rd Jan 2014, 17:30
Also noticed that they are hunting down a CP for their Sydney operation, although the requirements are a little higher, assume the fleet is larger and a little more complexed than a PC-12. From the JD it looks like the incumbent would be chained to a desk. Out of curiosity any idea what kind of coin these they jobs would be paying - especially to live in Sydney?

Wally Mk2
23rd Jan 2014, 17:47
'Ducky' the Syd CP job is with the SE Section of the RFDS not QLD & it would be a tuff gig keeping that lot happy!:ok: All Multi Eng A/C thru-out that section mainly due contractual requirements & sensible I might add:)

Not to sure on the remuneration but you would earn it I'd say as the current CP deserves a well earned rest/retirement:-)

Wmk2

Howard Hughes
23rd Jan 2014, 23:15
Not interested in coming back then Wally? ;)

Wally Mk2
24th Jan 2014, 04:04
.........................nah 'HH' was fun but when the contract ended down this way that was the close of another life's chapter:-)

Have some fond memories over 10 years but nufin' is 4ever especially in aviation !

Wmk2