PDA

View Full Version : Don't touch anything until clear?

2p!ssed2drive
1st Apr 2007, 07:17
I traveled on Jetstar early this morning and noticed something I thought was different.

After we landed the pilots raised the flaps and cleaned up the wings etc before we exited the runway...

I'm still only a single engine driver, but I thought that it was standard airline ops to not touch a single thing until you are clear of the runway? :confused:

ant1
1st Apr 2007, 07:38
In multicrew aircraft the "other gal/guy", AKA F/O, can concentrate on such things while the Captain is "driving". :}

ScottyDoo
1st Apr 2007, 08:13
That "standard airline op" is something the Rat does and naturally it's thought to be the only possible way.

Airline SOPs sometimes dictate that the after-landing actions begin when the captain says they do, often signalled by him lowering the speedbrakes; then FO does the rest (eg flaps, lights, etc).

In some airlines, like the Rat, the whole process is to begin when clear of the runway. Doesn't mean other airlines like Jetscar can't carry out after-landing actions at an earlier stage, for example when reaching taxi speed.

Some procedures differ from sirline to airline and there's not much that is "standard airline ops" apart from put the gear down before landing and the FO takes the fat one.

Runaway Gun
1st Apr 2007, 10:18
The fat cheque or the fat chick? :}

Keg
1st Apr 2007, 11:07
I've seen it happen very occasionally in QF but it's certainly the extreme exception rather than the rule- obviously when I've seen it occur it's been the skipper that has done it. Normally all the housekeeping stuff happens after transferring to the ground frequency which means that 99% of the time we're clear (or just about clear) of the runway.

galdian
1st Apr 2007, 11:19
Runaway:
At the Rat - both!!

In the good old of a REAL airline (ie AN ) - only one!

Now THAT's CRM in action!! :ok: :ok: :ok:

((Of course if the F/o chose the WRONG one the next morning could be a little bit chilly - but at least he had a fighting/challenging/beer buying chance to be a hero!
Statistical chance for an F/o/S/o to be a hero at the Rat - 0.01% (the .01 to allow for any statistical error.))
Regards to all. :)

And if you doubt me just ask Buster - the TRUE authority on all things AN!

Ron & Edna Johns
1st Apr 2007, 11:20
I've seen it happen very occasionally in QF but it's certainly the extreme exception rather than the rule - obviously when I've seen it occur it's been the skipper that has done it.

Are we still talking about the fat chicks, Keg? :E :}

Keg
1st Apr 2007, 11:21
ROFLMAO!!

I plead the fifth on that one! :ok:

ScottyDoo
1st Apr 2007, 11:29
The fat cheque or the fat chick?

In the Sydney base, it might even be the fat c**k.... :yuk:

cunninglinguist
2nd Apr 2007, 08:59
2P2drive,
In Jet*,pilot flying ( could be capt or FO ) puts the reversers away and disarms speedbrakes at a safe taxi speed this may or may not be on the runway.
There would be no point in leaving everything out when backtracking a runway at an outport or when taxiing slowly at a major airport to get to the next taxiway, ( fod to flaps etc ) so there is no hard and fast rule.
Disarming s/brakes and selecting flaps to up is done in seconds and is hardly going to cause any drama, unless of course you are still doing mach 1 :}

Lasiorhinus
3rd Apr 2007, 16:35
It makes sense as a single engine, single pilot driver, lest you confuse the often similarly located Flaps and Gear levers. Get out of the busy zone before cleaning up the aircraft, giving you more time to properly identify the correct lever.

Multi crew ops make it easy - the other pilot cleans up the aircraft!

terronnd
3rd Apr 2007, 21:45
cunninglinguist is correct with regard to A320 op's.

However our airline requires the PF to ask for after landing check list when he wants it done, all of the actions are carried out by the PM so the PF can stay eyes out.
In fact stowing the spoilers is one of the last actions in our checks.

Every airport is different so it may happen on, leaving or off the runway.

Atlas Shrugged
3rd Apr 2007, 23:14
I traveled on Jetstar early this morning

I can think of at least 1,000,000 better ways to start a day :}

hoss
4th Apr 2007, 02:36
No way!!!!!!.... and I thought I had a bad start when I had Special K for breakfast.

;)

Like This - Do That
4th Apr 2007, 03:17
I endured Jetstar on the weekend, too (Sydney - Avalon return) and noticed that the taxiway was out of action at Avalon (lots of post-airshow pavilions etc still erected). We back tracked, and I'm pretty sure the aircraft was cleaned up on the runway - no reason not to I guess.

Anyway, I've noticed that there is a preference for back-tracking rather than using the parallel taxiway in those handful of airports that have them (eg Willy, Avalon). Is this a crew preference? SOPs?

Many ports don't have full length, full strength taxiways (Coffs, Maroochydore, Queenstown) and I can recall a couple of times the aircraft has had to wait for the competitor to land and taxi in, or for them to taxi out and take off. All the while burning fuel and adding to the journey's (time) length.

Would the investment in full strength, full length parallel taxiways pay off in decreased fuel burn, quicker turn arounds?

BTW, I can think of at least 1,000,000 better ways to start a day :} I couldn't agree more .....

Skystar320
4th Apr 2007, 03:51
Spare a thought, who got the call at 2am this morning!!!!!
Friggin hard stumbling outta bed, getting on the gear and jumping into the truck in under 4mins and on the scene in 10mins of the point of call being made!!!!!!!!!!

give me a break, and thats not a kit kat either!

Condition lever
4th Apr 2007, 07:02
Like this - why dont you fly QF? - or can't you afford the fare?
I'm sure the other customers would appreciate the quieter flight whithout the "whine" in the cabin! :ok:

Capt Benetton
4th Apr 2007, 13:08
Mate,

you must be on some serious drugs to not realise that for a lot of people out there, flying the rat is not an option (they don't service the port).

Get a grip loser:mad:

speeeedy
5th Apr 2007, 01:46
why dont you fly QF? - or can't you afford the fare?

With the greater mix of yields QF could in almost all cases beat Onestar fares, as for business class and flexible (very high yield) economy, plenty of people DO have the money, and plenty of people have the inclination, it's just that they don't have the "CHOICE".

Ask the people at Hamo, the Gold Coast and Darwin about the "CHOICES" they have - but be prepared to have your head bitten off - they are not happy customers. This explains why many only fly Onestar when they can use QF points (QF then gives onestar cash to reimburse them!), but when using cold hard cash (profit!) they fly with the opposition.

Onestar is a great business strategy for Virgin Blue.

Like This - Do That
5th Apr 2007, 02:44
Condition Lever

Normally I would fly QF (and have the last ? times I've flown Sydney-Melbourne) but this particular time was work-related, for a colleague's funeral, and a few of us were going. Due to the perception of costs, Jetstar it was .....

Not my choice.

resboy
5th Apr 2007, 03:18
For the millionth time ...
- Qantas STILL flies to DRW ...

- Qantas put flights back into Hammo ... no one flew on them so they were pulled again

- Qantas operates a limtied service into Cooly (so the choice IS there) and incidently the kind of frequency OOL now experiences with Jetstar flights vastly superior to the schedule offered by QF ... All Y 733s to VQ 717s to 767s back to all Y 733s to a mix of 767 and 717 ... endlessly inconvenient.

Yes of course there are people willing to pay top buck ... but never enough to make some of these routes sustainable. If QF can redirect its fleet to the "cream" of Cityflier rather than try and make a buck on marginal leisure routes do you really expect them to stick it out?

After 3 years its really time we all get over it and move on.

Back to topic ... its amazing how quickly how thread on JQ Flightdeck SOPs (or any other D&G thread for that matter) can deviate into yet another JQ bashing thread :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

:ok:

roamingwolf
5th Apr 2007, 04:31
resboy quote "Qantas operates a limtied service into Cooly (so the choice IS there)"

2 flights a day represents choice huh!!!!!

I'd call that the dixon choice and how many business class seats are there for the rest of the day.Of course business pax have a lot of flexibility in their schedule thats why QF has TWO flights a day.

Yup there is a lot of choice with our customers especially when the only other carrier does not have J/C as well .If there is no competition why bother!!!

Condition lever
5th Apr 2007, 05:06
Capt Benetton,

Sorry mate! thought we were talking about SYD - MEL/AVV.
Perhaps you have already got a grip - maybe you should let go!