PDA

View Full Version : IAA medical but UK CPL

John001
31st Mar 2007, 12:32
Hi all,

firstly apologies if this has been covered elswhere. I haven't had much joy with the search function.

I have a UK JAA issued CPL(A) and a current IAA issued class 1 medical certificate. I am Irish, permanently residing in Ireland.

I will soon be commencing employment with an Irish airline and was wondering whether or not it is necessary to transfer my medical details to the CAA in order for them to them issue me with a CAA class 1 medical cert?
I did this last year in order to have my CPL issued but must I continue to do this? (and if so, what information do they require. Apparently just sending them a copy of the IAA medical isn't enough?:confused: )

I would be, after all, flying with a valid JAA medical on a valid JAA licence (albeit from different local authorities).

Any suggestions would be most welcome! :)

Regards,

John.:ok:

flyingdog
31st Mar 2007, 16:26
so you fly for a Irish airline and you live in Ireland, why would you like to have a UK CAA medical certificate ? The all concept of JARs is to enable you to have a JAA licence issued from one country and work in another state member and get a medical certificate in the area where you work and live, also a Irish licenced TRE can endorse your UK JAA licence ... so enjoy and get your medical in Ireland and the Irish Aviation Authority will send a copy of the report to the UK CAA for you :D

banana head
31st Mar 2007, 17:43
Flyingdog - not quite so simple I'm afraid :rolleyes:

You can fly in Ireland, for an Irish Carrier with your UK CAA CPL/IR, but must ensure you have a current and valid medical in relation to THAT licence.

I'm assuming here that you completed your original IAA medical before you started your training? in which case you will have a specific IAA licence number on your IAA medical.

You need the medical associated with your UK CAA/JAR licence to have the same number as your UK CAA/JAR licence in order for it to be valid in relation to that licence.

There are two ways to organise this. If you still have a few months to go on your IAA medical, you can contact the UK CAA medical section and ask them to request your file from the IAA. They will then re-issue your medical with your UK CAA licence number on it. You can then renew it to your hearts content in 'the Mater' and each time the IAA medical examiner will automatically forward the details to Gatwick.
Alternativly you can book a medical in the mater - bring along your UK CAA licence, complete the paperwork in relation to that licence and do a class 1 medical. For renewals it will be the same procedure as above.

Finally - and I personally recommend you consider this, you can visit the IAA in Hawkins house and complete a straighforward form to convert your UK CAA/JAR CPL to an Irish IAA/JAR CPL. In order to complete this process the UK CAA would be asked to send your file/ details to the IAA and they would issue a nice shiney (cheap white covered) IAA CPL/IR. Problem solved...

mutt
31st Mar 2007, 19:27
Banana Head, i find your comments interesting...

I hold an Irish licence, depending on where i am each year i do either the Mater Medical or with a UK approved JAA examiner in the Middle East. The examiner charges for the CAA to examine the ECG and the results are sent to Hawkins House.

Over the last 5 years I have done 3 medicals in Ireland and 2 outside without any questions.

Considering that the Mater charges 200-400 Euro and the UK examiner charges 35 Euro (Yep 35... plus i have to bring biscuits..) I really prefer to do the medical outside Ireland....

Mutt

banana head
1st Apr 2007, 15:30
As do I mutt, however we currently work with a system (JAR) that is far from perfect!

In theory you can complete a medical in any JAR member state, and can renew an LPC with an examiner holding a licence issued in any JAR member state.

Unfortunatly some member states will not recognise said medical renewal or licence renewal until such time as they have received all of the relevant paperwork, - which allowing for the post can leave pilots exposed for a few days each year around renewal time.

In order to avoid this many operators ( I can name 3 particular UK ones and 1 Irish) are now actually requiring all newly hired pilots to exchange their National JAR licence from their home country for an IAA (or CAA as the case may be) one.

This means that they can roster the said pilot to fly on the day immediatly after his/her medical or LPC without having to wait for paperwork to reach and return from said pilots own licence issuing authority.

EASA is only going to make this system even more difficult....

I was simply suggesting that John001 might consider doing this as it is most lightly his employer will eventually request it anyway....

John001
2nd Apr 2007, 10:50
:)Thanks for all your replies.

Bananahead: I'm indeed considering converting my UK JAR licence to an IAA one but in the case of my soon-to-be employer they don't require such.
I have only very recently done the Class 1 renewal in the Mater and so I asked them to please forward my details to Gatwick (as you suggested).
They just looked at me like a deer caught in the headlights!:)
They told me that I'd need to get in contact with the CAA and get a list of exactly what they require from the IAA to be sent. :confused:

So they don't, seemingly, as you suggested "automatically forward details to Gatwick" (sorry if that sounded confrontational, it wasn't intented as such! I'm just recounting my experiences:) )

You also mentioned "Alternativly you can book a medical in the mater - bring along your UK CAA licence, complete the paperwork in relation to that licence and do a class 1 medical".
Do I understand correctly that its possible to fill out the necessary paperwork for a CAA medical at the Mater? How?

When I did this last year it was a travesty of persistant emailing and calling the IAA. I got my CAA medical issued after about a month of this! Why does it have to be so complicated?!:ooh:

Anyway, where does this leave me now? I presume I shall have to call up the IAA once more and start this tempestuous process anew!

I think that next year it might be better to do as Mutt does and simply do it with the CAA.

Any other suggestions? Thanks again for you helpful responses!

Regards,

John.:ok: