PDA

View Full Version : Airshows 2007

DownloadDog
30th Mar 2007, 15:04
Is it true that there will be no fast jet displays this year apart from the Reds, Typhoon and the Hawk?

Furthermore, there will be no statics!

:eek:

vecvechookattack
30th Mar 2007, 15:55
Why not? whats the rumour?

ranger703
30th Mar 2007, 15:55
Quite an indepth thread about it here:

http://www.ukar.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=29165

Talking Radalt
31st Mar 2007, 00:53
Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Yet another great idea from RAF "Events, Entertainment and Casual Clothing Lines" Inc. .....a "capability demo" instead of fast (and some not so fast) noisy things going whizz a lot.
Using the mighty Chinny as an example, instead of getting to see the MULTI-AWARD WINNING show-stopping aerobatic display of recent years, you know, the one all the spotters talk about for weeks afterwards, Joe Public now gets to see it's "role and capability":
Land on, 30 troops run off, lift to the hover and scarper at low level.
Hmmm, breath taking, I'm sure. :hmm:
I always thought airshows were about simply witnessing aircraft (solo or otherwise) at close quarters doing spectacular things.
Why has some chump at MOD insisted on turning them in to a relentless recruiting drive/public information film?:(

AHQHI656SQN
31st Mar 2007, 12:29
No UK AAC Apache this year.:(

TheWizard
31st Mar 2007, 14:04
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. If you read through the link above, you will see that your "MULTI-AWARD WINNING show-stopping aerobatic display of recent years" is still going to be there.
Why do people always insist on seeing the glass as half empty? Give it a chance. If it doesn't work THEN tear it apart:rolleyes:

L J R
31st Mar 2007, 15:21
If you were a front line guy (or gal), wold you want to spend all of your time back in 'blighty on the airshow circuit - thereby removing most of your summer weekends.

torque dirty to me
31st Mar 2007, 15:43
YES!

Hands up anyone who DIDN'T have a blast manning statics at RIAT last year!?!

"If you can remember it, you weren't really there!"

TD:E

Ewan Whosearmy
31st Mar 2007, 15:47
LJR

Did you not know that the position of display pilot is voluntary?

Spugford
31st Mar 2007, 16:39
TalkingRadalt: Why has some chump at MOD insisted on turning them in to a relentless recruiting drive/public information film?

Perhaps because that's one of the main reasons airshows exist and are supported at all!

As always, this will not be to everyone's taste, but I think it is the way forward in these operationally-focussed times (of arguable overstretch). I've seen 'role demos' of other nations air forces and think they were every bit as entertaining as anything I've seen at home, whilst being much more representative and relevant to the frontline. Don't get me wrong though, I still there's a place for the traditional stuff (particularly the Reds) but variety is the spice and all that. (Particularly as all but one of our current frontline jets are not exactly cutting edge, performance wise)

Looking forward to seeing how it works out :ok:

Impiger
31st Mar 2007, 19:14
LJR

If I might add to Ewan's comment - not only are the display pilot slots voluntary they are also much contested - I can remember a fly off to select the F3 solo display pilot (of course he wasn't solo cos he had a directional consultant in the back but the aircraft was if you catch my claret befuddled drift).

As for statics - we always used to put a list up in the crewroom for volunteers for the statics allocated to the squadron. No volunteers? then we'd pass the task on to someone else.

Airshows aren't everybodies cup of tea but they are a good way of showcasing our Service.:ok:

Been There...
31st Mar 2007, 20:36
Having heard the requirements for the SH and AT boys in support of these role demos from one of the Force HQ planners, I know that they are not happy bunnies. 7 airshows with one aircraft and one back-up aircraft for each day plus the work up training required to ensure that things run smoothly. It's not like we have cabs and frames just hanging around doing nothing.

Yet again the boys and girls will probably pull the rabbit out of the hat, but at what price wth regards to families and quality time at home?

Regards

Two's in
31st Mar 2007, 20:56
So what will the Typhoon role demo be? A Typhoon parked in a HAS, pilot in a hammock, while a bewildered FC struggles to find hordes of Backfires somewhere over Norway on the radar?

brit bus driver
1st Apr 2007, 01:37
Two's in.....rather cold beer all over the screen.

Nice one fella!

Out of interest, who's going to pull all of the assets required and come up with a workable plan, including all the contingencies, and ensure it's worked up in time? Should be easy....:hmm:

Talking Radalt
1st Apr 2007, 19:38
If you read through the link above, you will see that your "MULTI-AWARD WINNING show-stopping aerobatic display of recent years" is still going to be there.

Fair point, upon reading further "Light Blue Spy" (whoever he is) does mention the JHC contribution to the air show circuit but, typically, implies it is something outside normal RAF circles and beyond the Events Team remit. Interesting to note he then goes on (and on) about these "Scenarios" and claims the SH force is providing support for all of those too.:rolleyes:
Why has some chump at MOD insisted on turning them in to a relentless recruiting drive/public information film?...
Perhaps because that's one of the main reasons airshows exist and are supported at all!
Dunno about that. You're suggesting the primary reason for attending an airshow is to either a) join up or b) learn more about air involvement in on-going ops?
I doubt it some how and still stand by the idea that a vast majority of airshow attendees simply want to see stuff flying.

Out Of Trim
2nd Apr 2007, 10:51
The public may well be seeing a Full Role Demo by all types this year.. If a certain country doesn't comply with our requests.

However, the venues may all be further east of Blighty! :(