PDA

View Full Version : Gliding to Save Fuel

Chronic Snoozer
30th Mar 2007, 13:25
This story is from our news.com.au network Source: AAP
Jets to cut engines and glide to save fuel

* March 30, 2007

QANTAS and Air New Zealand jets arriving at Auckland airport will cut their engines and glide into their final stage of landing in a trial to save fuel and cut greenhouse emissions.

The glided landings - believed to be a world first - will start at New Zealand's biggest airport from mid-April, national air services provider Airways New Zealand said.

The practice was safe and the measure could provide significant fuel savings and reductions in carbon emissions, said Lew Jenkins of Airways New Zealand.

"This is a perfectly safe procedure, and other flights will be controlled by Airways New Zealand's air traffic controllers to remain clear of the trial flight paths," Mr Jenkins said.

"All commercial airlines want to be safe but they also need to be profitable, fuel efficient, and environmentally friendly, and a key component in this equation is fuel."

Federal Transport Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Mark Vaile said Australia was introducing greater flexibility in flight paths and continuous descent approaches in an effort to cut carbon emissions.

"Australia supports a global approach to aviation emissions reduction," Mr Vaile said.

Thats the hacks take on it, now whats the real story?

Another Number
30th Mar 2007, 15:50
Someone broke the embargo and released the story a couple of days early... :=

Wizofoz
30th Mar 2007, 20:04
continuous descent approaches

= The truth, and by no means a world first

cut their engines and glide into

= We have REALLY crap journos in the southern hemishpere!!!!

lowerlobe
30th Mar 2007, 21:03
.......But it must be true because journalists have reported it.

Remember the media's motto...."Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story"

Quote "Federal Transport Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Mark Vaile said Australia was introducing greater flexibility in flight paths and continuous descent approaches in an effort to cut carbon emissions"

......Or is this another way of placating noise complaints?

...Yes we understand you can't sleep but we are cutting carbon emissions !!!

Ron & Edna Johns
30th Mar 2007, 21:14
Hmmmm, after 15 years of flying jets I've just learned that aircraft are not gliding when thrust levers are at flight idle.......? :hmm:

Oh, ok, we're going to actually shut them down ("cut the engines") and presumably restart them on final approach? Well, I guess it will save a bit of gas and it's quieter! Hope I'm allowed to spool the engines up to 60% before 500 feet....

What this clap-trap is REALLY all about is politicians and bureaucrats knowing that they have for years imposed inefficient STARs on airlines for noise/political reasons (look at SYD) and deciding to modify this to appear "green" - the current voter's vogue.

And they somehow the spin-doctors are turning it around onto the operators: "we're going to make THEM operate more efficiently, more green, by making them 'glide'. Nothing to do with OUR inefficiencies."

"Glided landings... world's first". :ugh: Jesus wept. Is there an election coming in NZ also? And Mark Vaile: clearly in election mode. :mad:

Arm out the window
31st Mar 2007, 02:20
They should make them leave the engines off for all phases of flight - think of the savings!

iceblock
31st Mar 2007, 03:00
This is how it will be:

Switch the engines off
Switch the radios off
Switch the brain off.

What do we have?

Monkeys getting paid peanuts!!

Tarq57
31st Mar 2007, 11:59
What I've been told is this is going to be happening on most routes, the airlines want it, and it's part of the VNAV procedures. Everyone flies a full STAR, even on 8/8 blue day, because it makes fuel planning more efficient.
So I've been told.
What the airlines may not realise is that they still might get the odd unexpected hold when demand exceeds supply, and the vnav approach then goes out the window.. It seems to me a bit like the recent exercise in Wellington of extending the motorway. All it's done is moved the point of congestion down the road a few K's.
(I guess the journo's worked out somehow that the term "gliding" was dumbed down enough for their purposes.)

Chimbu chuckles
31st Mar 2007, 13:21
I met a fella at a party tonight who asked me about this gliding thing...he really thought we were going to shut down the engines and glide the rest of the way to save a little fuel.:ugh:

murgatroid
31st Mar 2007, 20:50
The way it was reported on the radio.

"Pilots would put the plane into neutral"

Is it only me who finds themselves grinding reverse whilst going for fifth gear as we wind it up in cruise.

haughtney1
31st Mar 2007, 22:04
It already been trialled in the UK and Scandanavia.........

You enter the start gate of the PRNav approach, and maintain a continuous descent with various vertical and speed gates on the way down.
You are configured and spooled up by 1000' AGL.

My employer on average saved 90kg of fuel on the A320/21, around 100kg on the 757, 110kg on the 767, and a whopping 160kg with the A330.

A couple of things, we aren't gliding, and the engines are still running....supposidly it increases airspace capacity by around 15%

PW1830
1st Apr 2007, 04:16
Sooo close to April 1st.

F/O Bloggs
1st Apr 2007, 06:29
CASA will have to change their CTAF rules first, ie not having to be at 1500ft 200kts joining the circuit, for any idle descent fuel savings to work.

:ugh:

Blip
1st Apr 2007, 07:16
I wonder how accommodating the departing aircraft will have to be (by way of level-off's and/or excessive climb gradient requirement) to make it work. :rolleyes:

2nd Apr 2007, 13:06
C'mon boys..it's been pointed out more than once that it's the 1st April....

I can't believe even journos can be that thick to print that the engines will be turned off... or can they..?

Continous Descent Approaches (CDA) are a completely different thing - less noisy and slightly less fuel used.:cool:

YesTAM
2nd Apr 2007, 20:54
(Thinks) "I must try this - turn the magnetos off on base."

greenslopes
3rd Apr 2007, 06:24
The only way you can feasibly "cut" engines and glide is to employ the Thronomister.
Very straightforward, shouldn't pose a problem to those who know how!
"Over to you Jones"