PDA

View Full Version : any wives or husbands of cx/ka pilots a pharmacist?

energie
29th Mar 2007, 21:07
I know that Hk's pharmaceutic industry is quite weak, but does anyone know what it takes for a north american pharmacist to work in HK?
thanks
e

EngineOut
29th Mar 2007, 23:05
I heard it takes an ability to be able to spell weAk.

Five Green
30th Mar 2007, 04:51
In Hong Kong all of the dispensing of perscriptions is done at the health centre/hospital/Doc's office. So a "pharmacist" over here offers advice on over the counter stuff and therefore makes considerably less than in N. America.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news !

FG

energie
30th Mar 2007, 06:07
Thanks Five Green!
While it is true that all the dispensing of poison (as the hk industry like to call it :rolleyes: ) is done without going to a pharmacist, i've read articles indicating that they are moving towards utilitizing pharmacists like the rest of the world.
My recent trip to HK has somewhat confirmed that as well. (i.e. pharmacist present at Watson's)
What I am hoping to find is a HK pharmacist forum or any other medium in which I can find out what's the industry like in practice. My better half is a pharmacist and i would really want to accomodate for her in that regard
thanks again!
e.

moosp
30th Mar 2007, 13:22
I can not give you any professional advice on this, but I would recommend you contact the Aviation Medicine section of CX. Dr. Cocks is the senior, who has an impressive CV, but he has a team of several almost equally experienced professionals.

Firstly they are an honest bunch, and will treat your enquiry to the best of their ability. You can be sure that they will not run to recruitment and split on you if you express concerns about spousal employment.

Secondly they are approachable, from the receptionist to the doctors. If they do not have the information, they may have contacts which they will share with you.

From my own observation the pharmacy profession in HKG is based on the old UK system, with more and more acceptance of the trans pacific system. Do not be surprised if there is a Cantonese language requirement to gain the local accreditations. I have not tried this but a google must turn up something helpful.

FWIW

christep
1st Apr 2007, 08:45
In Hong Kong all of the dispensing of prescriptions is done at the health centre/hospital/Doc's office.That's simply not true. Many people take the convenience of getting drugs at the point of prescription (and perhaps paying a bit over the odds for doing so), but most pharmacies also have "prescription only" drugs.

Of course, this being Hong Kong, you don't need a prescription to get many of them (particularly even quite hefty antibiotics, for example).