PDA

View Full Version : Confessional

cornish-stormrider
29th Mar 2007, 18:50
Ladies and Gents I have a confession.

Like many that did, and do wear the blue suit I made a screw-up, in my eyes a pretty big one, and no I'm not talking about walking past the afco!

I was on a heli pets engineering course at shawbury about 5 years ago and all was going swimmingly, right up until the practical phase. We were tasked with a training exercise of blades on and blades off on a gazelle, simple, huh.

Well they went on ok and we had a break then swapped roles for the removal, I got nominated for doing the pins out where the blades join the head, no worries, I hopped up, prepped the pins and stared at them for a moment then had the blindingly obvoius thought of I can pull the lead/lag link pin and the blade will stay where it is won't it.....?

My next thought was NO it'll move, leave well alone and don't rush. Whats the hurry, there's no pressure wait till everyone is ready....

Well we can all guess which thought I listened to can't we........??

Stupid ****** that I am I pulled the pin, Blade dropped like a scythe and almost took out three of my coursemates, one of them caught the blade and recieved a few bruises and scrapes for it......

I reckon I should have been binned/charged/P45 anything but what they did.....

We had a sitdown postmortem as a course, I bought a load of beer and offered to go round the back of the hanger with the guy I'd smacked with the Blade. I told him I wouldn't lift a finger while he beat me down. He refused. Would I have done the same if our situations had been reversed??

From that moment on I knew the RAF and I were parting company. Could I trust myself? No. Time to move on then.......

Do I miss it?? Yeah, If I had a Delorean with the flux Capacitor mod I would only change that moment.

I know you can all sit there and analyse it and take the piss, can I shake the guilt and shame that dogged my concience ever since.........?? NO

The only lesson I can offer you all from this is that when things seem to be at their easiest and you've got one more quick job to do before quitting time. WATCH OUT for the stupid ****** like me who has the mother of all blonde moments and does something daft. Look after each other coz when the **** hits the fan your mates are all you got...

And if you were involved in this one and still want to go round the hanger I still won't lift a finger.

Anyone else have a confession to share??

ZH875
29th Mar 2007, 18:56
I confess that I am not stupid enough to air any wrongdoing in a public forum, after all, why have Murphy and Condor reports if you aren't going to use them........

And before you ask, I have had two hiccups, but was lucky, and I learned my lesson.:O

cornish-stormrider
29th Mar 2007, 19:10
Its probably stupid but thats how I feel/am. Never even thought about a condor or a murphy, its too late now though, I mean shutting the stabke door 5 years down the line. Besides I don't think a report scrawled in red crayon would be received too well at the ivory palace where all the men withh egg on hats live.

Maple 01
29th Mar 2007, 19:58
Everyone F**** up occasionally mate

air pig
29th Mar 2007, 21:27
The person who has NEVER scr**ed up, does NOT exist on this planet, speaking as one who has done so in the past.

Anyone who says that they haven't is either a liar or a fool, beware of both !!

woptb
29th Mar 2007, 22:22
The only people who never f*** up are those who do f*** all!
As someone who has also made several monumental F up's in 25 plus years,it would seem to me that mostly you have done the right things.
Time to stop beating yourself up,after all you gave someone else the opportunity & they declined! Time to move on buddy.

Arm out the window
29th Mar 2007, 22:56
Your name's not Earl, is it?

Seriously though, agonizing over the past won't do anything but make you unhappy. You've done your best to make it right, and that's enough.