PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Group boosts domestic fleet.....and Jetstar(surprise,surprise!!)

Shlonghaul
29th Mar 2007, 07:40
QANTAS GROUP BOOSTS DOMESTIC FLEET

SYDNEY, 29 March 2007: Qantas Airways said today it would acquire nine
additional Airbus A320 aircraft for use by Jetstar.

The Chief Executive Officer of Qantas, Mr Geoff Dixon, said the new
aircraft would be deployed on domestic and short-haul international routes.

The aircraft will be delivered over a 15-month timeframe from late 2007, he said.

Mr Dixon said Qantas would also boost capacity in the Qantas domestic
operations.

Four Boeing 767-300 aircraft from our international fleet that were due to
be sold from mid-2007 will now be transferred to domestic operations.
The additional capacity for both Jetstar and Qantas, along with previously announced plans for QantasLink, should enable the Qantas Group to maintain its 65 per cent share of the Australian domestic market.

Mr Dixon said the additional A320 aircraft would enable Jetstar to grow on
some of its most popular leisure routes including Cairns, Gold Coast, Perth
and the Northern Territory.

Jetstar will also use the new aircraft to look at new destinations within
Australia.

request deferred
29th Mar 2007, 08:44
Selling the 767-300, that's a new one? Gee, I wonder which airline in the QF Group operates four B767-300? (heavy lashings of sarcasm). I'm going to presume that they are talking about Australian Airlines Wetlease and it was to be shutdown but they now have had a change of plans, well for the a/c at least?
Just a guess........................:confused:

Bolty McBolt
29th Mar 2007, 09:43
Lets see
4 X A330 given to Jet star international and the almighty GD makes up the shortfall of capacity by not selling 4 X 767 :}
With this sort of accounting no wonder the books look good. :ok:

Watchdog
29th Mar 2007, 09:56
SYDNEY, 29 March 2007: Qantas Airways said today it would acquire nine
additional Airbus A320 aircraft for use by Jetstar.

The Chief Executive Officer of Qantas, Mr Geoff Dixon, said the new
aircraft would be deployed on domestic and short-haul international routes.

well SURPRISE SURPRISE :eek:

Angle of Attack
29th Mar 2007, 10:01

Yay! Great News! That means that Qantas will be neutral! But hey that means expansion in this new world! lol!

Yay bring on the Jetstar expansion, great news for guys in GA,Jetstar are sucking up everything atm, as well as the soon, Virgin expansion plus mainline plus tiger wow its never been better! Where will all the turboprob guys come from? I just hope everyone realises that all this expansion, and the low numbers of people learning to fly these days means ou do have some bargaining power so use it. I honestly believe those in GA now have a very good position if they use it wisely! Good luck guys! :ok:

Umm wh don't they put these new aircraft to Jetstar Asia (aka International Ops) Because they are not subsidised, and have ground support,and they lose $hitloads of money if they are out of their comfort zone I guess.

I guess they needed an announcement to try and divert that Dixon is gonna look like a dork when the APA bid fails as well lol!

blow.n.gasket
29th Mar 2007, 11:58
Does that mean the Qantas/AO pilots will be back flying under the Long Haul award like the rest of the 767 fleet now that it doesn't even exist in body or spirit? :confused:

Capt Kremin
29th Mar 2007, 13:13
Does AO actually own any A/C? If not ,how does it wetlease them?:confused:

neville_nobody
29th Mar 2007, 13:48
I honestly believe those in GA now have a very good position if they use it wisely!

Anyone entering these airlines will be told take it or leave it. No new hire is in a position to start cranking up the terms and conditions. GA guys are in the same position as they have always been and I would argue a worse one because the conditions in GA are still bad, and now you have to pay most of a GA years salary just to get a gig in a airline. :mad: :{

It is the current pilots in the airlines that are the ones who have to do something. So far Jetstar haven't really done anyone any favours except for GD. I guess they are reaping their rewards now with more aircraft.

wrongwayaround
29th Mar 2007, 22:06
Interesting point Mr_Nobody, very true...

Many of my younger friends are finding it difficult to get twin-engine experience. While this has always been a problem alas, its even harder now.

The one years salary to buy a B737 endorsement is exactly why there is a shortage on the way. If Daddy doesn't own 10 pubs, who can really afford it? Why should they have to afford it?

Geoff, if you're reading this - we can't wait for the day when it's your turn to lick our backsides.

bushy
30th Mar 2007, 02:44
GA salaries are not common in this part of the world. Lots of pilots are working on a part time or casual basis. It is now much worse than it was many years ago.

New pilots and short term opportunist operators from the cities have made it that way.

Swingwing
30th Mar 2007, 03:20
ratpoison

you are way out of line.

ratpoison
30th Mar 2007, 05:09
Swing, very true. Deleted. When I re read it, it was actually giving GD a compliment. But you must admit, it takes a special kind of rat to admit when he's been very naughty.;)

Very, very lucky rat that deletes that type of post before I find it!

Next time - Ratsak!!!

:mad:

Tail Wheel

Dave Incognito
30th Mar 2007, 07:06
wrongwayaround,

I find it very surprising that people are thinking it is harder to find twin jobs these days. Almost everyone I know at that stage in their career have been finding it significantly easier than what was the norm a couple of years ago. A few have even jagged full time multi jobs with <1000hrs single time. Minimum experience requirements seem to be dropping every day.

bushy,

I can assure you there are more than a few long term opportunistic operators in regional areas that have also ‘made it that way’.