PDA

View Full Version : Info on Solenta

skudrunner
28th Mar 2007, 16:36
I've recently seen that solenta is looking for 1900 and ATR FO, Capt. Was hoping on getting some info here before applying.
1. What is the time frame to be upgraded to Capt. on the ATR?
2. ATR Pay FO and Capt.
3. Working conditions. Safety and schedule. (flying in Canada is very safe other then the cold but I understand Africa has political unrest situations that can put crew in harms way)
4. Living costs (is there a crew house provided, food costs/quality)

B200Drvr
29th Mar 2007, 21:52
There is still a shortage, but posting a CV does not get you an instant response, you need to do a bit more than that, like knock on the door!! It also depends on your times, if you are not near their minimums, most probably wont reply at all. Same as almost every company worldwide.:ugh:

poorwanderingwun
30th Mar 2007, 02:48
Nothing much difficult about flying in Africa other than maybe dealing with the huge storm systems in the rainy season... You won't come across much political unrest that will affect you directly... Africa is a state of mind.

As for a response to a cv... If they haven't responded then they're not that desperate.. If you're standing in front of the CP's desk with your ratings and log-book and explaining how you'll have your SA validation by the end of the week you're likely to get his interest... but from 9000 miles away well..you're just someone else who's 9000 miles away.

skudrunner
30th Mar 2007, 02:53
Thank you
any other info about working conditions and living conditions at Solenta?

forkingfishing
30th Mar 2007, 11:15
well, besides the fact that they're good, no

FF

bitchflying11
31st Mar 2007, 11:01
Eish just another poor person going to get themselves involved with the WORST company in SA :ugh:

What is wrong with you!??!?! Do you not read the posting that are on here about Solenta? They are back stabing, no paying bunch of c:mad: ts.
If you even fly when you get on the ATR will be amazing!! They have lost one of there contracts, dont fly the Pelican service with it anymore and there are pilots of there's sitting on the ground!! Feel sorry for them, as they get a retainer that is nothing to talk about and dont forget once you are on tour, they work a bed and breakfast policy!!!

Dont do it, help yourself this time!!!!!!!!!

There are many other options!!!!!!

GUSTO
31st Mar 2007, 11:17
bitchflying , we received a huge salary increase few days ago , so now they are paying market price .

Not the worst company , if you want I give you some addresses where you can go and work for . After you will think that Solenta is not a bad company .

And if you guys are not happy just leave or don't come and work for us , we don't need negative people :ouch: .

hey FF enjoy "l'abrevoir" ...

forkingfishing
31st Mar 2007, 12:28
merci mon frere!

enjoy foxy!

a bientot.

FF

bitchflying11
31st Mar 2007, 15:57
GUSTO, you have gotta be kidding me!!! :}

Well at least some people look at things thing from Solenta - while we are talking about the worst companies to work for, give me some names and numbers and I will have to give it a go! Really do not think that many people can be worse than Rudi and Roland? Not to mention there high paying CP - well at least that money stays in the family.

Watch this space :rolleyes:

skudrunner
3rd Apr 2007, 02:04
Thank you
I understand the wage has been increase. Is the wage industry standard now?

bitchflying11
3rd Apr 2007, 02:54
Is the pay the only thing you are after?!?!?!? :ugh:

If that is the case there are many more companies that are paying a lot more than Solenta!! Plus not to mention you are going to have to put up with a lot of sh1t to get that salary!!!

At the end of the day, it is your choice, but if you go with it, please remember it is people like you that f:mad: k the industry and causes Solenta to continue what they are doing! For every person they can rape, they just smile. So happy smiling I guess? :eek:

skudrunner
3rd Apr 2007, 03:08
Is the pay the only thing you are after?!?!?!?
If that is the case there are many more companies that are paying a lot more than Solenta!! Plus not to mention you are going to have to put up with a lot of sh1t to get that salary!!!
At the end of the day, it is your choice, but if you go with it, please remember it is people like you that f k the industry and causes Solenta to continue what they are doing! For every person they can rape, they just smile. So happy smiling I guess?
What are you talking about when you suggest i'll have to put up with a lot of sh1t?
and what is solenta doing, that they are raping ppl?

BeechGecko
3rd Apr 2007, 06:34
we received a huge salary increase few days ago

Are you working for a different Solenta cause I didn't get one?!?

bitchflying11
3rd Apr 2007, 07:03
SKUDRUNNER - you are a lost curse!!! :{

Dont think that anyone here is going to be able to help you, just go work for them and then you can let us all know in about 3 months when you leave!! That whole company is all about window dressing! Trust me I was there everything looks good from the outside, but wait, you are going to get your fingers burned!

And as for the increase, it looks like only the as:mad: lickers got that one! That is so typical, when it suits management for there little bi:mad: es to get one then they had it out. Rememeber the whole company did not get an increase!! I could put my c:mad: k on the block when i say this, but I bet the van pilots didnt see an increase, not to mention the lowest paid captain on the 1900!! Solenta are so desperate for drivers, they even have to brake the law and use comm pilots as command on pax carrying aircraft! I only wonder if there clients and or the people travelling on the aircraft know that the crew are not qualified!!!!!!!!

Shame skudrunner, you have a lot to learn down here in africa. You guys think you can handle it! :=

Small Time Charter
3rd Apr 2007, 10:38
Let me get the ball rolling on contract salaries; there ain't no secret about this! May help to get it all in one place.... I know a few, bang up to date, so I'll start... other's please follow with current dope on Quila, NAC, King Air Services (if there is any structure in KAS yet - may still be what you can agree with Carlo!!)

Solenta

B1900D ATPL Captain: Basic $1,200 per month, $140 daily contract allowance. (Approx $5,400 month on, $1,200 month off)

Executive Turbine

B1900 Captain: Basic $1,900 per month, $135 daily contract allowance. (Approx $5,950 month on, $1,900 month off)
B1900 Copilot: Basic $1,100 per month, $105 daily contract allowance. (Approx $4,250 month on, $1,100 month off)

King Air/Twotter Captain: Basic $1,750 per month, $135 daily contract allowance. (Approx $5,800 month on, $1,750 month off)
King Air/Twotter Copilot: Basic $1,000 per month, $95 daily contract allowance. (Approx $3,850 month on, $1,000 month off)

Ok, there's a start.... let's have the rest and keep it current.

BeechGecko
3rd Apr 2007, 12:12
Solenta

B1900D Copilot: Basic $750 per month, $76.50 daily contract allowance. (Approx $3,045 month on, $750 month off)

That's about $1,200 less than ET and now they want to tell us they are paying market rates? Bullsh!t

And as far as the Captain salary mentioned above for Solenta is concerned, everyone doesn't get that. If I'm not mistaken that is the Executive Captain salary and for that you need 1000+ hours on type with 3000+ total time as well as 2 or 3 years with the company!

bitchflying11
3rd Apr 2007, 15:45
BEECHGECKO - you are right on the money!! That salary you only get if you are with the useless company for more than 2 years (as if anyone can last that long!!!!) and you have over 3000 hours!!!
As it stands the normal captains (even the under qualitied ones with comms) get only $4000 a month, so that is just under 2000 short of what ET are getting!!
Now you be the judge is that market related again?!?!?!?!? Not even Solenta's (what they call senior capt - or what I call as:mad: licker!!) capts get that!!

They are a rip off!!! Not to mention again that you have to still pay for everything while you are on tour!! Some of the van guys spend there whole salary just living while they are away!!! Meanwhile the guys in the office will smile all the way to the bank.
Yes management that is for you, and I hope it hits home!!!! :=

Icarus208
3rd Apr 2007, 18:16
Hey guys

Ive been following this thread about Solenta for a while now. It just keep getting better and better. As time goes by the more revealing facts of the company comes to light.

As short while ago I posted a thread asking who is the better company to work for on contract and one of the replies was... Solenta. That person kept on praising his Solenta and saying that it is the better, more stable company to work for.:= Really, after reading most of these interesting pay structure replies, it definately does not seem to be a company to work for.

Why not pay their Pilots a decent salary, give them what they want when they ask for it....all within reason that is and stop taking from them what is really deservedly theirs. Really being on contract cant be the most interesting time to spend your Sunday afternoon on. Sitting in the middle of nowhere away from your friends and family, earning peanuts compared to the others out there....

Here is a interesting thing we all could do.....Lets start a Union and all STRIKE at once and see how their company or companies will feel then. Pay the Pilots and get done with it.

I fully agree with the guys out there...Lets kick some more dirt up:ok:

BeechGecko
3rd Apr 2007, 20:12
All being said, and I'm in no way trying to lift Solenta above the rest, out of all the companies I have worked for Solenta has been the best, if only the would pay!!!

Lets start a Union and all STRIKE at once and see how their company or companies will feel then. Pay the Pilots and get done with it.

That would be a good idea but one of the problems in aviation is from pilots as well, particularly lower hour pilots or uninformed pilots. Even if we were too go on a "strike", their will always be someone who will do the job for the amount they offer. So by trying to screw the company you are only screwing yourself. It's the good old catch 22 of aviation.

skudrunner
4th Apr 2007, 05:16
Thanks for the input, What about Solenta's ATR's are they operated safe and how are the crews treated?

putt for dough
4th Apr 2007, 06:59
Why doesn't the Solenta Chief Pilot answer these questions?
It would make sense if it came straight from the horses
mouth. :p

Fliterisk
4th Apr 2007, 07:17
By saying that you would be fired and there would be someone else to do your job in the event of a strike, shows a lack of understanding of the BCEA. The strike is an option available to workers and it can be legal. Therefore, it may not lead to dismissal. Essentially you would have the management by the proverbials!

It has always amazed me why, when they seem to be so unhappy, pilots in SA dont collectively bargain and speak up. Whine and complain and yet more often than not on anonymous forums, rather than collectively speak to their Er. No one wants a strike!!!!

Sorry ofr the hijack.... back to Solenta:\ :\ :\

bitchflying11
4th Apr 2007, 10:34
SKUDRUNNER - please man you have got to stop acting so stupid, can you not read these forums and see that there are a lot of unhappy people there at solenta!!

As for the ATR's (and yes I have flown there's - makes you think hey management!!!) :hmm: they are ok and things most of the time will work!! However it is the living that you are asking about.......... that is where they fall short. Ok the crew house is not bad (for eg West Africa - Ivory coast) but the living expenses you are going to have to cover out of your salary. They only give you a bed and breakfast (i seem to be saying this over and over - so please do not ask me again!!!) and then anything else you are going to have to sort out for yourself!! Let me also mention that there are some things that you can not get and others may be a lot more expensive than you are use to!

Anyway I only hope you make the right decisions!!! But if this forum is any thing to go by, then give it a miss!!! I have been there and done that, and trust me there are a lot better places to be right now!!!

forkingfishing
4th Apr 2007, 13:08
bitchflying11,

Thanks for leaving Solenta! Seems like your one of those typical moaners. We don't need people like you but I see you noticed that thanks once again for leaving!

get a life.:D

BeechGecko
4th Apr 2007, 14:40
What I find amazing is that most people's solution to everything is to strike! That's one of the biggest problems facing South Africa at the moment on all levels of employment. If someone is unhappy about the smallest little detail they strike. And no company in South Africa will fire you for striking, this I know.

The thing you have to remember is, if you are working for Solenta, or any other company for that matter, and you are not happy with the pay, it is your own actions that led to it. At the end of the day, you are the one that signed the contract. No one held a gun to your head forcing you to sign it. The employer makes an offer and the employee has a choice, take it or leave it. If the employer is not open to discussion there is not much else you can do about it.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind getting my salary boosted, but if your not happy with your salary, just go somewhere else.

The original question posed here was "What are the condition like working for Solenta?", not "How can we fix Solenta?".

So instead of bitching and moaning about it, use the info and decide whether you want to work for them or not. I for one am happy with the company at the moment because even though they don't pay so well, they have never once treated me bad in any way.

I have never once been extended for more than a week, and this is only after I agreed to do so. I have never once even been asked to fly an unserviceable plane. I have never been expected to extend or break FDP. And I have have never in all my time at Solenta been paid late, not even by a day!

So there is the positive points from my side. The negative side is they pay absolutely k@k.

Now you decide... :ok:

BeechGecko
4th Apr 2007, 16:17
hyenacackle, I am speaking under correction here, but CAA approved it because they are only operating with CPL captains on the cargo flight (only DHL). The CPL captain also must have passed all ATP subjects and have minimum 1500 total time.

This makes sense in my mind, because the concerned CPL captain will then be "ready" for his ATP, unless he requires command time, and this way he will get his ATP much quicker and so improving the overall experience level of the pilot pool. Alot of companies have similar measures put in place accelerate pilots to command in a safe way. None of the CPL captains at Solenta are any less capable of commanding a 1900 than a ATP captain. And most CPL captains only operate on a CPL for 2 or 3 months max before testing their ATP.

A 1900 is nothing more than a long 200, so why can you operate a 200 with ATP captains but not a 1900? Fair enough the 1900 carries more pax and thus more responsibility, but again, Solenta is only doing it with cargo. So that nullifies that argument. And also keep in mind that in Europe a 1900 is still seen as a light twin!

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Apr 2007, 16:25
It's a weight category thing. A line had to be drawn and it was drawn at 5700kgs, as arbitrary as it may seem. Unfortunately, if we start messing with that where will it end? DC3? F27? Metroliner?

BeechGecko
4th Apr 2007, 16:28
It's a weight category thing.

He he. I know that... and I know that according to SA law a 1900 is classified as med, but in this case CAA has made an exception because it does not affect anyone's safety.

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Apr 2007, 16:33
So where do we draw the line?

BeechGecko
4th Apr 2007, 16:43
I see your point SRT, I really do, that is why I'm glad that decision does not lie in my hands. But the 1900 has always been under debate and will most likely always be under debate because it is registered as a single crew aircraft under FAR23 I think. I'll be honest, I don't have the knowledge to go into a full on debate about this but what's done is done, and all I'm saying is that I can understand the reasoning behind it. :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Apr 2007, 16:45
Fair enough. The problem is when you start tweaking the rules the whole house of cards can come down as people all want to get in on the act.

BeechGecko
4th Apr 2007, 16:51
Also true... it is a very touchy subject I know.

bitchflying11
5th Apr 2007, 06:53
SOLID TWOTTER - you are right on the money, why not just make the E120 or there ATR's an aircraft that you can command with a comm? What a load of sh1t!!! There is rules and lines that are not ment to be crossed!!!

Just for the record tho, there is no law in the CAA that states you are able to fly the machine with a comm!!! This dispencation thing is all a hoakes!

And another thing to get straight, they are even using these pilots on contracts now, so it is not only limited to the DHL and cargo ops!!!!!! :eek:

Plus there little sister company FEDAIR have and are using these comm pilots as command!! Some of them do not even have the subjects, and some as little as 1000 hours!!! Now that is a load of sh1t that you are trying to tell us BEECHGECKO!!!! Get your facts right!!!

putt for dough
5th Apr 2007, 07:13
bitchflying11
You need to take a chill pill dude!
Lemme guess that if you are on contract, you are nearing
the end because you are highly strung?
May I suggest that you move on because by the sounds
of things you are really unhappy.:(
If you stick around and remain unhappy you are bound to run into
some health issues.
Life aint about being an angry fella.:=
Get over it and move :ok:

DIVESAILFLY
5th Apr 2007, 07:27
Hi Guys and Dolls.
Just an outsiders 2cents. Used to fly contracts for about 5 years (Feds, Immoral, Rudi's Rossair and finally NAC). The late pay thing I experienced with all except, NAC. Immoral used to pay you too exceed or more correctly put one could make a lot more money if you were prepared to exceed. I only did one contract with them. So yeah, it is one's choice to stay or leave, but if the contract pilots got together and formed a branch of ALPA-SA you would have a much better bargaining position to help the company keep to their side of the bargain which they signed to at the bottom of the same contract. So instead of bitching at each other as pilots are wont to do - get together over a beer and improve the whole contract setup by standing together. Yeah wishfull thinking, but plausible. As to the Comm captains on a B1900, it's only the question of how much to offer CAA that counts. A comm pilot can also captain a B747 cargo plane if one reasons that the only safety involved is that of the pax on board?
So in summary - enjoy contracts it's some of the best flying you will ever do. And don't be too harsh on poor old Rudi - he learnt from the masters of screwing crew.
Fly safe!
:}

BeechGecko
5th Apr 2007, 07:54
bitchflying11

You remind me of one of those guys who has a grudge against everyone else who is moving past you in the industry and going to the airlines. Maybe you should start to ask yourself why are you still stuck there? Do you live for bitching? Because that is something that is seriously going to hamper your career. And please do take this personally, because I have nothing against people disagreeing with me, I just have something against the way you are doing it.

SRT and DRIVESAILFLY also disagreed with me but they brought up valid points in a civil way. That I respect and with people like that I can talk.

So enjoy you time on contract, sounds like your going to be stuck there for while. :ok:

kingair2oo
5th Apr 2007, 11:18
Hallo Skudrunner,

There seems to be a lot of talk, but no real answers.

Solenta is a good contract company. One of the better one's around. I should know I have worked for a few. I don't think a contract company could ever be great.

To answer you're Questions,

Time for upgrade to P1 on ATR/1900: you are looking at anywhere between 6-to-18 months, depending on your TT and Exp. (yes, the office does help out their favorites, but that is no different from any other company, go the extra mile and things will happen quicker for you...good life lesson!!)

ATR Pay FO and Capt: Jr FO - new scale-US$800 basic, $105/day on tour
Jr Capt - new scale $1100 basic, $170/day on tour
1900's Jr FO - $700 Basic, $75/day on tour
jr Capt - $1040 Basic, $97.5/day on tour
(At the moment, no one gets to sr p2 or p1...theres too much movement in the industry)

Safety in Africa: If you look at any aviation safety mag, you will see that flying is Africa is the highest risk area. It is not the same as the US, UK or Canada. The radar/tower controllers are not trained correctly, maintenance is not the same standard as it would be in a first world country (what ever guys tell you...its not, it can never be..thats just the way it is), and trying to get a reliable weather forcast is a joke. Saying all that, that is what making flying here a challenge, and you make special bonds with your flying buddies...and as you've seem other people say...its the best flying of your life.
The ATR's in west africa only fly freight, so its a lot of all night flights. There are a few day flights, but most are at night. The schedules can and do change all the time. As far as rostering goes....and Solenta is no different from any other contract company, the rosters change all the time, you will be called onto tour with a days notice.
The 1900's Solenta contract are mostly flying for aid orgs, and trust me, the flying is very good and great fun. There are more contracts and many different countries to see and you will always get work, not like most of the ATR FO's that sit at home for long periods due to no contracts and the company just keeps training. On the 1900's you will normaly fly durning the day.

Living Costs: Solenta will provide all your housing while on tour (same as all the other contract companies) They will also provide you with breakfast (a bowl of Corn flakes), tea and coffee. I have worked for some companies that do not provide you with anything other than a flea infested bed. You will need to buy your own lunch and dinner. A pizza will cost you (all over africa its about the same) about $10 and a beer from the store about $1 or $2. If you want to live a semi normal live while on tour, you should budget for about US$100-150 a week.
Quality of life - not the same as Canada, but you will have fun and make good buddies, not a good 'long term' lifestyle though.

Please do not get me wrong, Solenta has its problems, and there are a lot of unhappy people working for them at the moment, right from the office staff to the jr F/O's on the Van to the sr Capt's on the ATR.

Solenta has the longest resignation period in contracts, three months, so once you've signed your contract don't think about leaving...or at least don't think about leaving on good terms because they (he) will hold you to 3 months and make it unpleasent when you do go.

I think they are a good company, but there are better ones. One's that don't make you pay US$2500 for a Caravan rating, that have a CP that you can approach, that pay better, that the crew and office staff are happier in.

I am happy because I get to fly with a great bunch of guys and don't let the other things stop me from smiling. I would be able to do the same in another company and thats something NONE of us must forget!

Fly Safe guys, hope to see you all in the 'danger zone' soon.

Mungalui
5th Apr 2007, 12:05
Come on guys, get back to the original thread topic.
I have been working for Solenta for a while now and I would like to see more Solenta pilots posting on this thread. The salary issue is getting worse and worse if you compare it to other companies.
Lets get it out in the open.
I must admit that Solenta pays your salary like clockwork, you never have to bust FDP and you never have to fly overweight. Bonus!:ok:
What is the old joke again?
What is the difference between a Solenta pilot and a pizza? - You can feed a family with a pizza..........
Not complaining but what can we do to better the situation? :hmm:
Munga

Happydays
7th Apr 2007, 05:24
I work for Solenta :

Great people I work with ,
Never bust FDP,
Never fly a aircraft with a snag ,
Gets extra fuel if bad wx,
They happy if you divert and dont even ask you why,
Pay is in your account every single month of the year,
An a bonus every year....

Not bad ...

kingair2oo
7th Apr 2007, 10:26
Never fly and aircraft with a snag??

I can't even remember when last I flew an aircraft WITHOUT a snag.

loomit
7th Apr 2007, 13:45
sorry to change the subject, but I've got an interview with solenta for a 1900 position comming up soon.I'm not too concerned about pay at this stage, I just want to fly!!
anyways, any tips on their interview will be much appreciated.
thanks alot!

spoon1
7th Apr 2007, 16:07
Hey guys, on a diffrent note. Wondering if you guys can tell me, i have to leave for the congo at the end of the month, flying co joe on the LET 410. What would the going rate be? got a feeling they want to shaft us. they pay for food and lodgin, be there for about 6 weeks at a time.....:rolleyes:

bitchflying11
8th Apr 2007, 06:42
LOOMIT>> it is people like you that f:mad: k the industry!!! so you are not going to get anything about that place from me!!
why fly for free?!?!!?!?!

I.R.PIRATE
8th Apr 2007, 07:54
HE didnt say fly for free. He said that the amount of money they pay is not the reason he is applying. HE wants to FLY, and will do so whatever they pay. Man cant sit at home holding expensive qualifications, while wondering where the next meal is coming from. These are real times and for many pilots , merely being employed is a lot more important than sitting on the sideline, not flying, not earning, while trying to make a point.

Messing up the industry? Or making sure you and your family can exist in decent conditions; pay the bills ???

Flyer14
8th Apr 2007, 08:01
I've resisted the urge to post on this thread until now. Bitchfly, u need to calm down. Whatever Solenta may or may not have done to u, I am sorry, but your rant is really getting tiring if not irritating and childish. U have some serious beef with this company, maybe u should go work at the butchery or something.:} Perhaps u should consider talking to someone to work thru your anger coz it looks like it's consuming u whole. All companies hav problems, and there are plenty of companies with more problems and pay less than Solenta in S.A. If you've somehow found the holy grail of companies that makes every pilot happy, then good for u. Otherwise I think we've all had enough of your tantrum. Beware a chip on the shoulder like yours will eventually make u a very angry and bitter person. It's people like YOU who mess up the industry.
Glad not to share a cockpit with u!:=

I.R.PIRATE
8th Apr 2007, 08:10
Agreed. Bi-aaaaatch, there is no perfect company in sa, or anywhere in the world for that matter. Every company has positive aspects too, you just need to find one in which the balance is right and suits you individually. No need to play the man if you have gripe with the company.

As protector of the industry bitch, you should know that wild gunslinging like yours is bad for business (yours)

GUSTO
8th Apr 2007, 18:15
Yes this "BITCH" need to stay away from Solenta and any other companies.
Amaising how some guys like him are born "BITTER" live all their life "BITTER" and f*****g died "BITTER " , put some sugar in your life Bitch!

cornell
9th Apr 2007, 07:01
I think the main reason for him to carry on like he is , is that he's hiding behind a persona. He's probably as tame as a puppy in front of his bosses:sad:

bitchflying11
9th Apr 2007, 09:56
try me you b:mad: less a:mad: s.
i never keep quite to any boss, and that is what makes me and most of the other people on this thing different!

and for some of you who think you know me, i am not bitter! just do not want anyone else to get caught out by such a terriable company!
for you who also think that i am on contract - noways i am way past that!
next time you are flying on a 737, have a look around :}

carry on you small time boys! are we not here to help others not get screwed!?!?

I.R.PIRATE
9th Apr 2007, 11:22
So what would be the definition of screwed?

Not having food with which to feed your family, money with which to pay school fees?

Or working for one of the more stable/decent contract outfits out there, not becoming rich, but at least using the qualifications that you have paid a shayteload of moolah for, while having semi-decent scope for movement...

seems like a no brainer to me.

You sound just like a spoilt brat mr bi-aatch who seems to have forgotten how you attained the 'fluffy throne' you now so closely guard.:=

Shrike200
9th Apr 2007, 14:43
Aaaaah, good 'ol pprune...I can feel the love flowing! :p :p

I luuurve the smell of napalm in the morning!

GUSTO
9th Apr 2007, 15:26
I think we all know who you R Bitch , DADDY works/ed at SAA and you were flying for us for not a long time ... , your training records are not that great so if I was you I will f*****g stay quiet my boy , aviation is very small and you are even smaller ... you might end up :ouch:

Shrike200
10th Apr 2007, 06:01
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m305/Shrike200/post-17-49458-evertimeewok1.jpg

cornell
10th Apr 2007, 14:14
So what's you name then:)

Safetyman
10th Apr 2007, 15:37
Flying Bitch:
Let me give you the facts, straight from the horses mouth:
At Solenta there's no:
* Overweight flying
* Overflying aircraft hours (Hours remaining to maintenance)
* Flying with unsafe / illegal snags
* Flying out of FDP
* Illegal flying of any sorts (The B1900 Comm P1 is perfectly legal and 110% safe I can assure you, in fact it is so strictly controlled that it is safer that some ATP P1's out there)
* Flying suspect cargo
* Flying crew with any license / rating / courses out of date (All courses: SEPT, CRM, DG, Line checks, Prof checks, I.F renewals, etc. etc.)
* Flying if the crew are not happy to fly, even if it is legal
At Solenta:
* There are international standards of Safety Management Systems
* There are international standards of training
* Senior Management involvement and agressive support for safe operations
* Not the best salaries, but certainly researched and above average in the market
* Salaries are paid 100% on time, even in tough times / difficult cash flows
It will be a frosty day in hell when you can show me any other contracts company in the world that is operated with the high & safe standard such as Solenta's. Sure the salaries are not the best, but safety is quite expensive in case you have not worked that one out.. To maintain safe standards costs a fortune. There are some other companies out these that do pay more but in order to afford better salaries they compromise elsewhere.. A monster salary is nice, but knowing that everything possible is done at Solenta to operate a safe operation which means a safer carreer for all our crew is also quite nice, don't you think? (Why am I asking you, the twit with no brain)
Solenta has not lost any DHL contracts in West Africa, once again, every single "fact" that you claim is wrong. Get the facts firsthand before you talk **** on the Web.
I agree with previous comments, you are shafting yourself in this industry. In 14 years I have seen arseholes like you come & go a million times. You need to grow up & learn to think before you make an arse of yourself to the whole world.
Everything you said about Solenta is a load of crap, you are blatantly lying & misinforming people out there.
Grow up & get a life

chilly
10th Apr 2007, 18:55
Nice one Safetyman :D. Its about time that someone from HQ stand up!! This is bull:mad:. I am working for Solenta and I have no problem, in fact Im having the time of my life right now!!! And yes I am on contrack and yes its not nice being away from home, but we fly GOOD aircrafts and the maintenance is TOPS. Forget about the money thing, there are so many other positive things working for Solenta.

All you guys and girls with interviews at Solenta GO FOR IT!!!
GOOD LUCK

Groete, vlieg veilig:ok:

putt for dough
10th Apr 2007, 19:13
Bitchflying11 you are a ****** :mad: (draad trekker)
Now crawl back into your inbred environment and F OFF!
DOOS! :yuk:
ps: I have got nothing to do with Solenta but your
whinging is enough! :=

forkingfishing
10th Apr 2007, 22:45
Grizzly Bare

I know of flights dispatched by dangerous, life-threatening snags, of course the flight crew didn't know, only senior management who agreed to hide the snags to sent the aircraft on contract.

What do you call a dangerous life threatening snag? An MEL item is not a dangerous life threatening snag hence why there is an MEL or a CDL so that the snag may be deffered and the flight may be continued safely in accordance with the manufacturers reccomended operating procedures. Solenta have NEVER made/expected/forced me or anyone I know of to dispatch with an item of such a nature. Yes aircraft do come up with snags and they do get sorted out. If you say that you know of such events occuring then you are the coward here for not pointing them out and for not taking the correct action! Not all managers are pilots, so do YOUR job properly next time!:ugh:

Please quote the legal referance to allow CPL captains on a 1900? My copy of both ANR's and Part 121 don't legally allow it.

Well done you can read!:D Hence the procedures that Solenta have in place and that they have an agreement with the CAA because its not something that is written in the law.

And strictly controlled? Solenta managment initially claimed "no CPL captains", then claimed "only CPL captains on DHL freight routes", now it's CPL captains wherever we feel like it. Sorry but that is not control, it's management getting more and more desperate.

Yes it is strictly controlled, its a CAA dispensation call it what you want but Solenta have a CAA aproved procedure in place regarding the above mentioned issue and I can asure you that the highest possible standards are attained throughout all the training. If you had read this thread you would have seen that this topic has already been covered. To answer SRT's question
So where do we draw the line?

CAA draws the line, the ATR 42 can not be operated as a single crew aircraft because according to the FCOM(flight crew operating manual) this aircraft needs 2 pilots.

True the salaries aren't the best, but definitely not "above average".
And what's this about difficult cash flows? Are Solenta in trouble? Has the loss of the ATR in Libreville, the lack of ATR work for Pelican, and getting mired down in Algeria caused a problem?

Yes there are such cashflow problems,thats why we have just received great increases and very good incentives for captains and prospective captains to stay in the company. :hmm:

bitchflying11

next time you are flying on a 737, have a look around

So what do you think you're a pilot now I could have mistaken you for someone that pumps ****! Whats it like being a 737 **** pumper? You have gone all quiet on us after telling us to come and get you blah fuc:mad:ing blah! Go play hide and seek in your **** and then fu:mad: k yourself while you're at it!:p

Solenta is a good operator we have professional crew,we do our jobs properly we,get paid good money and its a great place to be!

FF

poorwanderingwun
11th Apr 2007, 02:26
Speaking as a totally disinterested party... no connection whatever to Solenta...don 't even know anyone working there... Just how does one go about getting a dispensation from the SA CAA to allow CPL only pilots to fly P1 on the 1900 ?... And is this dispensation available to any other ZS reg operators who may be having trouble finding suitably qualified pilots for 1900s at the salary rates offered by Solenta ?

BeechGecko
11th Apr 2007, 05:40
Forkfishing, couldn't have put it any better myself! Well said! :ok:

is this dispensation available to any other ZS reg operators who may be having trouble finding suitably qualified pilots for 1900s

I'm sure it will be if the concerned company could provide the same level of training as Solenta. Keep in mind, Solenta's training for permanent crew goes above any other companies, and that is a fact.

At Solenta, every fleet has got one or two Training Captains. C208 has 1, Twotter has 1, 1900 has 2, ATR has 2. These are not just senior pilots, but appointed pilot being put in charge of the training and overall quality of ops of the concerned fleet. To support them there is also a full time training administrator, in charge of monitoring the expiry dates, hours, FDP etc.

I guarantee you that CAA won't just hand out dispensations just because they can. I am not sure as to the specifics but that' the way it is, and if you, as owner of a company, or as pilot for that matter, isn't happy with it, take it up with CAA. :ok:

Safetyman
11th Apr 2007, 07:13
Forkinfishing, you sed it exactly the way it is.

Lots of research, CAA involvement + a "dispensation" to allow this. I say "dispensation" but in reality there is nothing in the SACATS/CARS that prevents it. The B1900 was certified by the FAA as a single crew aircraft. JAR does not even recognize your B1900 hours as an hours towards a JAR ATP.

The Com Captain issue in Solenta IS strictly controlled. There are a number of other operators in flying Comm captains on the B1900. The difference as Forkinfishing said is that at Solenta the standard of training is the best there is for any contracts company. Feel free to ask to see the invoices from 43 Advanced and Simuflite, you'll instantly appreciate the amount of time & money invested into the B1900 drivers at Solenta.

Once again, Solenta is NOT perfect, but certainly tries DAM HARD and invests a lot of money in training, safety management and efforts to bring professional crew through the ranks.

GUSTO
11th Apr 2007, 07:23
Guys ,
Heard a while back that SACAA wants to be JAA standard , then here we go on JAA rules JAR FCL it is totally legal to fly a Beech 1900 with only a CPL (aircraft is a JAR/FAR 23). So no wander why SACAA gives dispensation and surely it will be written in the law soon ...
well said forkingfishing :D

warloc67
11th Apr 2007, 09:12
Actually guys it's always been in the law (ANR's). The 1900 is certified for single crew operations and the priviledges of the CPL allows him to act as PIC on any aircraft that is so certified, thus, the CAR 121 regulations require two appropriatly rated crew and the operator shall designate a commander. So there was no need for the CAA to give a special exemption.

BeechGecko
11th Apr 2007, 16:23
CAA are aware that the ANR was written incorrectly, which is why it has been changed in Part 61.

That explains why CAA are giving dispensation until the new law comes into effect. :ok:

Safetyman
12th Apr 2007, 07:14
It's officially confirmed: The bitch is brainless..

boere uit die bos
12th Apr 2007, 08:44
I Flew for Solenta for over 4 years. They are not a bad operator. I never had to (and was never asked) do anything illegal, always paid on time. Sure they waited longer than they should have to pull us out of Abidjan and I was the 1st one ready to evac if required there after. I never had any major come back for grounding an unserviceable aircraft. I always had a good working relationship with the office.

Let me dispell any miss givings. They dont care about you they care about the bottom line. It is a buisness. It is very different work experience for the crew than it is for managers sitting in there offices in JHB. They will never understand work ethic of pilots. They dont realise what it takes for all the crew and engineers to get the aircraft flying (within the boundaries of the law). They dont know what it takes to be away from your family and friends for some times 11 months of the year (as you are always helping them out). As we dont fully understand the logistics in keeping the admin and legal side of things going and what ever else that goes on in JHB.

The bottom line for all you guys is you need a job they are hiring! I would recommend Solenta not over anyone else but they are not all that bad! I know the new CP has upset half the guys there but give it time I am sure he will manage to upset the other half soon enough.

They are using you to get the job done and you are using them to gain experience and cash. So go get the experience and make sure you can get as much cash out of them as possible (and ratings) and then go to your airline job!:ok:

kickass1900d
12th Apr 2007, 08:57
Safetyman, stop fooling yourself, everything is not so good at Solenta, A few things are nice, BUT MOST ARE S%#@!!!

Safety is not the upmost priority of evryone, IF it was then why was ZS-PJF dispatched last year to Liberia with a cracked torque link, AND I heard that this was known to everyone except the Capt of the flight and P2. Do you know what happens when this seperates, IE aeroplane runs of runway, ask NAC. I was not flying it or even with you fools, but people talk in this game, also aeroplanes and pilots being forced to fly when very close to/ or out of FDP, "kindly" being asked to extend or be in the office if they don't go??? I have never and will never fly like this, these are just stories that do the rounds, maybe some people should put these in the clear.

Apparently it is all done so that Mr. X from DHL is happy, stuff the crew, even though you make out that you care about them. Best training, please man, get a life, the only guys that do training is the ATR drivers, the 1900 sim at NAC is a F%$#@!* JOKE, go fly the real sim at Flight safety then we can talk about training. All those things are, are procedural trainers, ie LEARN YOUR FLOWS, AND CHECKS AND CALLOUTS, ENGINE FAILURES, no electrical failures, smoke, efis, etc can be done in the one at NAC, not sure of Simuflite.

The fact of the matter is that the crew will smile, cause the airlines are short, and they taking people. How about asking you if you can give some Open GEN on the fact the there is a story doing the rounds that your management and CP think that they can phone the airlines and ask them not to take there people?? can you clarify this matter seems as you got all the gen on Solenta???? Do your fellow people a favour and give them a answer on this?? the are so scared these days that they must not slip up and let anyone know were they giving CV's cause they may never get out of your company, COME ON GIVE THEM SOME HEADS UP ON THIS, GET THE CP ONLINE LET HIM GIVE THEM SOME GEN, get all those fools in the office behind the screen and tell your own workers some stuff!

Do IT.

nyala
12th Apr 2007, 09:23
Wonder why the Chief Training Captain and Training Manager left Solenta?:=

boere uit die bos
12th Apr 2007, 09:30
Kickass I dont know if you are a skipper or fo but in either case if the plane is not servicable. DONT FLY!

I know it is tough to stand up against management and engineers using bush logic to try convince you it is ok. But say no. They know the law as well as you do. If you have a problem and the CP is not backing you call the Ex CP (dont want to mention his name) he is a good man and will back you if you are right!

You cannot legaly plan to fly out of FDP! You need to put your foot down. I know there are some "company men" that would fly a AC with one wing if they had to because the office asked them too. but those of you that are safety minded need to stick together.

You have the law on your side. They can scream and shout if they want, if they want to fire you which they wont. Keep copies and sue the c:mad: p out of them.

I never had a problem with them. Call them up and explain the situation. They are normally quite understanding. But before you call make sure you have you facts straight. I am not saying you are not right here. But just be well versed so when they put the engineers on the phone you can tell them what the book says.

Solenta
12th Apr 2007, 10:36
Kickass 1900d

CP at Solenta here.
Lets put the record straight.
Solenta DO have regular telecons with the airlines.
Most decent airlines contact US in fact and advise who is being interviewed months in advance ( Comair, SAX, Cathay, SAA ) as they have planned well ahead, and give the opportunity to the pilots to fulfill their contractual obligations in terms of notice.
Not all airlines adhere to this, and due to lack of planning on their part, have asked several Solenta pilots to break thier contract, with as little as 2 weeks notice.
This puts the pilots in a tough predicament, its not Solenta that did this to them, its their future employer. Not one of those has been forced to stay, but were asked, as per signed contract, to pay out their notice remaining ( industry standard if you break a contract ).

We have not had this problem with the more forward-planning airlines out there, and our pilots have left and gone on to start their airline career, without any hassle. The fact that Cathay, Comair and others are even taking our pilots, is actually a complement to Solenta's standards.
I do not believe in hindering a pilots career, only he/she can choose the path they follow, which contracts to take, and which to break.

Understand that we DO have a business to run, we are not just a training ground to advance pilots careers, good enough when they need the hours, but terrible, once they sit in a jet at 37000' sipping tea.
Quid pro quo, life is all about balance, only a pilot can choose the balance in their life.
Contracting is NOT a perfect world, we are trying to make it better.

I did write a 2 page detailed info, but it was not posted for whatever reason ( shame really, as it adressed a lot of issues brought up here )
I wont respond to some of the comments on here as they don't warrant a response, nor is there anything constructive to be gained from it.

I did PM the people concerned ( they know who they are ) asking to mail me constructive criticism, instead of trying to destruct anything constructive, no response from them, so I assume they are hell bent on trying to undermine anything positive on here.
One actually responded on this forum to another post with a blatant physical threat, which obviously shows the type of personality that is making some of these posts, and I hold their words with no regard, nor respect.

If anyone has contructive criticism, mail me or PM me.
Despite what some would have others believe, we are trying to fix the wrongs of the past, learn from them and make things better here.

Rudeman
12th Apr 2007, 15:21
I have been following this post since day one and would not like to get involved in the mud slinging that going on but would like to make a few comments:

1. For the positive guys out there: I would like to thank you all for the hard work and for making Solenta special. You guys make the best of your contract life and will always remember these as your best flying days.
2. For the un happy guys: If ever anyone of us did anything to offend you on purpose we are truly sorry for that. If you have the time please pass by one day and tell me to my face what I did wrong and how this offended you. If you did something wrong and got wrapped over the knuckles for this and is now unhappy then come and sort this out with us, though not a believe but we will appreciate it.
3. Never has this company operated any flights illegally on purpose its not our style. We might have found out about things we missed but always corrected this immediately. Who would not?

Solenta employ +/- 120 pilots at the moment and we have space for more (140). If not mistaken the 3 rd biggest pilot employer in the country. We have given loads of guys the opportunity to advance their careers. We are not perfect but we try. We try to have good aircraft, standards and living conditions. If we are made aware of problems we try and fix them as best as we can. We are trying to built a company that will last forever and keeps giving jobs to guys that need to move on to the airline, this we accept. It is sad to see our guys leave but a MOERSE compliment when they do so for the best airlines in the world.
We have for the past 3 years every year give increases to our crew and paid a small bonus at year end(add this to your salary). Not sure if there is any other contract companies that did this that exist out there. We have a life insurance policy for the crew (ask your own company if they have this) and add this to your salary. We pay 50% medical (add this as well)We can only pay salaries in line with what our clients are prepared to pay for the aircraft we fly. If you want to stay for 4 years your rating is also paid back in full. Then there is the guys that undercut the industry and we have to keep up with that as well. They pay the crew well but sacrifice elsewhere on say maintenance, is this worth your life ???
The company has grown and the CAA`S are placing more and more demand on safety and quality which we try to comply with as well. This also cost money.
We are trying to get a balance as mentioned by Paul. He is by the way been the best CP this company has seen. He gets shot down by guys that have not dealt with but act on hearsay. Take the time if you work for us and come have coffee with him(us). He bats for the crew big time and got the ATR salaries raised with management and yes he is looking at the rest as well.
Solenta has the best office staff in the business, the best crew and engineers and Great shareholders. You mix this and it is a great company no matter what anyone says. The people are what make this company so great.

bathtub200
12th Apr 2007, 16:12
Good to see on this post Rudeman , how about telling me in my face why you objected to my interview or rather employment for the Algerian contract.As far as I can remember I did you no harm during my time at Rossair.If it is true that you had something to do regarding employment , I would like to know why and if it's not true I will travel to Broadachers and apologize to you personally

CANUSAY FLIPMODE
13th Apr 2007, 09:21
Let me tell you young punks something, I've been in this game a long time and seen all kinds of nasty SH:mad: T. This little bitch1 flying really needs to get a life.

The fact that Solenta has many contracts with intenational organisations and companies and the people who work at Solenta have defended themselves in this forum says alot. In all my dealing with many aviation companies i must say Solenta have stood out in terms of professionalism.

bitch1 there's a whole world out there, move on from your negative experiances its the best thing to do. I feel for you man ( you see what happens when you don't get any :mad:):E

JAJAJA
13th Apr 2007, 09:41
I am an ATR pilot. Are they currently recruiting pilots?
Thank you.

Rudeman
13th Apr 2007, 10:56
BT200

Please mail or call me. I have no idea who you are. Recruitment in Solenta gets done by the CP and HR

bathtub200
13th Apr 2007, 11:13
agree , recruitment gets done by h.r however is it not true that in regards hiring of engineers , the list has to be seen by you? and you have the final say.Now you should have a good idea who I am

forkingfishing
13th Apr 2007, 12:05
Rudeman said you should call him now go on pick up that phone...:ok:

GUSTO
13th Apr 2007, 13:32
if rudeman objected for your interview he must have had a valid reason , so give him a call and sort it out with him , you never know of the outcome?.

As far as my experience , he gave me a job and a great opportunity to be what I am now . I gain from all the people who work for Solenta a Very Good experience .

I highly recommend to any of you guys who are looking for a job and meet the minimum requirements to send your CV to our CP.

Rudeman
14th Apr 2007, 05:47
BT200

I still hve no idea who you are I know 100`s of engineers ex Ross and pilots. I am not responsible for the engineer employment and have no authority even on which engineers get employed. I surely see no engineer recruitment list and was never asked to approve such list. Solenta AV that employ pilots and Solenta Maint are two different companies each with an own MD. I will not communicate through this site any more on this issue its crazy. You obviously know me so call me or mail me.

spoon1
14th Apr 2007, 11:17
Hey guys, seeing that there is a coupel of solenta guys viewing this page...

I ant to know if anyone can tell me what are the min requirement for the 1900 and the "van"?

I want to throw my cv there, just maby i have a shot in the dark... :cool:

GUSTO
14th Apr 2007, 12:53
spoon ,

go on : www.solenta.co.za , there is a phone number ask for the CP or director of Ops they will tell you the minimum requirement .

good luck :)

JAJAJA
14th Apr 2007, 17:36
Any email to send them my CV or to check the minimuns. I am Type rated.
Thanx

Happydays
14th Apr 2007, 18:25
Solenta rocks ! Njoy flying for them !

vanman208b
14th Apr 2007, 19:58
finally an intellectual!!!! :)( beechgeko) very refreshing comment

vanman208b
14th Apr 2007, 20:08
i enjoyed my time with solenta ,and to be honest its what you make of it .
SHOW me one company in SA without similar problems !!
contracts are not a career final stop, they are a stepping stone for something bigger and better.enjoy ur time u have with the small guys cause when u sitting at fl350 u gonna be wishing u were landing short,dodging vultures,cows goats and more!!:ouch:
Solenta is one of the better guys out there!!! yes pay isnt that hot but the chaps working there are great.many a good friend made.

Shaikh N Hoque
21st Apr 2007, 13:53
Is any one out there going for a interview with Solenta?

theRealFlyingNomad
28th Apr 2007, 20:03
This whole Forum doesn't make any sense...

In Life, If Someone is Happy, it's great...
If some aren't, it's not my prolem...

But personaly, In My Life, I'm very happy, and when I'm not, I do anything I can to change it...

So, If anyone here is unhappy about his company, wichever it is, It's ONLY up tho him/Her to change it, by taking actions: talking directly to The boss, the CP, or by leaving it...

But it's not a reason to kak on the face of anyone, due to our PERSONAL issues, isn't it?

We are all adults I guess, so maybe we should start by acting in that way, instead of trying to Shoot in others (and other compagnies) legs...

Wars started like this...

SAR24
3rd May 2007, 10:31
Was anyone supposed to go to the GS for the ATR? Did you go or was it cancelled? Are they still accepting app's for this position?

hyenacackle
5th May 2007, 23:12
I'm sorry but the salaries solenta is offering is a disgrace. And then
some people are trying to defend it here. "New Salaries", please! Wake
up and see the pilots go solenta. You can say what you want but even
the "NEW" salaries are by far the worst in the industry. Stop f........
around and offer the guys with the experience the right kind of pay.
There are experienced contract pilots out there waiting for YOU to step
up to the plate and pay them what they are worth! Stop being the joke
of the contract industry please i beg you.:sad:

Solenta
6th May 2007, 05:44
In line with "don't bring us problems, bring us solutions", (and I realise that this is predominantly a rumour network), I'd like to get feedback on what the contract pilots out there, Solenta or not, consider a market related salary structure, for their respective aircraft type. Solenta operate ATR42, B1900, DHC-6 and C208.
The more data we have, the more accurate the salary reviews. Please provide realistic, accurate information, unless you've seen a payslip, don't go on "i heard pilots at abc earn.... " rumours do not solve problems, facts do.
Also, imagine you were deciding the salaries, what would you pay - ps.. try keep the business in the black ! All well and good dishing out huge salaries, when you cant pay the creditors at the end of the month, that type of business won't survive very long !
I believe, that through open communication, and sensible proposals, we are sure to have a starting point to ensure our pilots are paid a fare wage.
I want to, at least, bridge the gap between what you consider fair, and what is sensible, business-wise.
If you want, call me or mail me, the more info I have to work with, the better.
CP Solenta

6th May 2007, 09:49
BITCHFLYING11 How did you ever think of a name like that? I think you have been told a few times. And what does "tho" meen?

"..........for the record tho, there is no law in the CAA.........."

hyenacackle
6th May 2007, 10:14

I'm sorry what does "meen" mean? :E

6th May 2007, 10:21
****** up. Same as tho.:O

6th May 2007, 10:25
Still wondering about that name THO.

ALLSTATIONS
6th May 2007, 11:06
CP Solenta

Before I reply about salaries at present company, just a few things.

I think hyenacackle made a good point. Solenta seems to be one of
the better more stable companies. One that I would want to work for.
It is the salaries for "experienced" crew that seems to be the issue.

All of us "experienced" pilots paid our dues, worked hard for companies
like NAC and others on contract for very little pay, but also with very
little experience. We were happy because at that stage of our careers
getting the experience was the major factor. With that came time and
responsibilities, families if you managed to keep the balance in your life.

This means expenses. As Rudeman said you need to look at the whole
package offered. Even higher paid contract pilots only manages a average
monthly wage if looked at over a 12 month period. So even if us
"experienced" pilots want to work for the better companies we also need
to keep that balance in our lifes.

Salaries at present company:
1900 Capt Atpl 6500$ x 2months on 1100$ x 1month off.
200 Capt Comm. 5500$ x 2months on 1100$ x 1month off.
All food paid for by company
13th cheque = 1month salary if with company for 1year

Hope this helps cause this is what you are competing with

Cheers

poorwanderingwun
6th May 2007, 13:54
SOLENTA

My contract last year with Exec Turbine paid US$5300 x 2 plus US$1650 x 1 as an experienced B200 driver...... would expect that a typed and experienced P1 on the 1900 to be offered better than that...

Solenta
6th May 2007, 15:01
Grizzly Bear ......"Hey Mr.CP, how about you slashing your bloated personal salary and spreading that around the crews?"...

useful, real useful !

Sadly, already sharing most with the taxman, but if you'd like to swap salary, sure !
But you'd have to be willing to work 14 hour days, sometimes 7 days a week, no FDP's in the office, I'm afraid.

Solid Rust Twotter
6th May 2007, 15:17
The "out of sight, out of mind" attitude could do with some positive tweaking....

Very_Low_and_Fast
6th May 2007, 15:40
Why don't you try CHC FW World, 100K - 120K CAD a year. Net.

SuperVanRider
6th May 2007, 16:19
Hi vanman208b.

It is of great joy to have someone speak the truth about the issue affecting pilots regarding Solenta. Most pilots in this site know for a fact that Solenta is one of the best companies in the country to fly for and as a proud C208B pilot myself, I cannot ask for more from them. I've been with Solenta for a while now and trust me, I've had better times than in other companies.:O

The problem which most people seem to behaving is the pay. In the olden days no1 had issues and now its the number1 priority. We should get our facts straight, let us be aviators and not bean counters.:ok:

Lets focus on the experience than the fat accounts we want, someday they'll mean nothing. What happened to the passion??????:{

And like we do in a Van and no1 in a 747 will ever do, Take out the inersial sepparator!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go man!:D

hyenacackle
6th May 2007, 16:39
SuperVanRider

That sounds like a great idea. Why don't you keep getting some more
experience and once you do and gets upgraded to "ice vanes" then join
the discussion about higher salaries again mate. :E

Solid Rust Twotter
6th May 2007, 16:39
SVR

The contract sharks love folks like you who are willing to work for the "passion" and shaft your mates in the process.

Those of us who've been around a while require a bit more than that to get by....

Contract Dog
6th May 2007, 17:50
Ah yes, the age old money debate. I did have a post up a while back about buying experience, kind of ties in with this. You cant tell me we don’t do this for the passion, we all started out with grand ideas and passion in our hearts and had or still have a love for this work or we would not do it. Flying for “passion” is fine, if you go find an aerobatic plane and pay for it by the Hr. Flying for “passion” in a commercial operation where your boss is getting paid a fortune by the client to provide a service simply makes you a target for the bean counters, and why not? You are passionate, you are willing and you don’t care how much they pay you! Perfect for them!!!!! The f up comes in where you have to move out of mommy and daddy’s house or get a girlfriend and no longer want to live in student like digs with 50 guys running round your living room and 1000 empty beer cans on the floor, ie you grow up! Suddenly $1000 a month doesn’t cut it and for the amount of effort and training and renewals and and and and and and that we put into this job, why should it be? Expecting a descent wage, based on what the client pays and sees us as worth, is not unreasonable.

Fortunately, THERE IS A SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!! (and I am stealing this idea from a drunken chat with GT in Billy the Bums, thanks mate, great idea)

Brokenkneecaps.com!

What we do is set up a website where we the crew decide what each a/c type is worth to fly in different countries and contracts and we post the salaries on the site. E.g. a Van driver gets $5000 a month
200 driver gets $6000
1900 gets $7000 and so on.
Then, if someone decides to go and fly for “passion” and fly’s a Van for lets say $1000 a month, he gets reported to Brokenkneecaps.com an suffers a penalty visit, this may put 2 or 3 people out of the industry but we will just have to see this collateral damage and move on. It won’t take time and word will spread on sites like this about the newly structured rates for crew and cost to your knees if you work for less. Then, the next time you are sitting in an interview and they offer you a “passionate” pay cheque, because lets face it, companies are passionate about parting with cash, you go and look up on Brokenkneecaps.com what the going rate is, if it is different, you will feel an overwhelming compulsion to turn the job down until they up the pay, because no matter how much you love flying, you don’t want one of the website’s reps to pay you a visit. It wont be long (I give it a week) and no one will be able to find crew and every ZS a/c will be parked for crew’s fear of loosing their knees, then my friends and only then, when the operators realise how much they need us, will we earn what we have worked so hard for, an honest wage! :E

hyenacackle
6th May 2007, 18:15
:D Absolutely brilliant

And at 108 views per hour, "views of this thread over the last hour"
it wont take long at all!

skychick2
6th May 2007, 18:43
ContractDog, if you need to supplement you meagre aviation salary with an an alternative income, you can always subcontract as a journalist, or better still become a writer!!!

Very nice one! ;)

wrinkly wings
7th May 2007, 12:23
I wish to apply for a job at broken knee caps.
CV:
Name: Soprano
Experience: Well, lets just say extensive
References: Sadly most no longer able to communicate if you get my drift.:cool:

Seriously though, you could also start a website called Transparency.com,
Aviators could band together, and every job offer (or even info from interview if no offer made) could be posted there with name of company, position offered, aircraft type, experience required and most important salary and working conditions and perks offered.
Word would soon get around which companies to avoid and which are worthwhile, the bad guys would quickly have to get with the program or risk losing credibility (and staff) in the industry.

Vw driver
7th May 2007, 12:46
Not sure if thats the right comment boet!!!!

kingair2oo
7th May 2007, 12:48
ET Salaries

1900 Captain: $5950 (2 months on)
$1900 (1 month off)

1900 Co-jo: $4250 (2 months on)
$1100 (1 month off)

200/Twotter Captain: $5800 (2 months on)
$1750 (1 month off)

200/Twotter Co-jo: $3850 (2 months on)
$1000 (1 month off)

These are still under review for further increase. ET looks after its staff and pays all meals, telephone etc when on tour. 13th Cheque under review for full-time pilots.

This was taken from the "Salaries" thread

If you work it out over a three month period, ET are paying there 200 captains and F/O's more than Solenta is paying their ATR captains and F/O's even after the new rate..increase.
After spending 100k+ for a rating I think the Solenta ATR crew should be getting paid better than a 200 crew from another company..dont you?

Does this also show how bad the Solenta 1900 guys are getting paid? What about our twotter crew? Lets not even mention the Van guys..they are just outright getting shafted, and again are having to pay for their ratings!!

Something needs to be done.The industry has opened up. You will not find many guys that want to live in Africa, with no water, no power, eating cr*p food, living away from their family, kids and wives (well maybe the wife) when they can go else where..unless you start to pay them some good money.

Vw driver
7th May 2007, 12:49
meant for GRIZZLY BARE

sky waiter
7th May 2007, 18:17
Guys,
Look here is a comparison, i have done my best not to comment on this thread but really.
I am a junior F/O on a twin turbine aircraft, and i am earning exactly half of what the solenta salaries are for the same postion, not getting anything when i am off, and paying back my type rating at monthly installments. You dont hear me bitching, because i worked for this position, very hard and i'd rather moan to my friends than badmouth my employer on these forums. Not saying i dont complain but there are others out there who are worse off. And yes i have seen the solenta operation and they really look stable and well run.
So where is everyone getting the market related salaries from?
But please keep it up, very interesting thread so far!! :ok:

ALLSTATIONS
7th May 2007, 22:48
Sky Waiter

The point is for experienced crew. I see you are a jr f/o and that will
explain the low salary because a lot of unexperienced pilots are willing
to fly for next to nothing, just to try and get a start somewhere. As
said before I had to do the same but paid my dues.

Next step is to enjoy our "passion" which is still a job to a lot of us, with
a salary that we can be proud of. This will not just benefit us but the
whole industry as well. Not everybody is bitching, some are trying to
make the point in a constructive way.

Vw driver
8th May 2007, 06:26
True u should never bad mouth u'r employer, or burn bridges, something I learned while I was studying B.comm. I would be interested to swop salaries and position with solenta. I know I'ts not going to be easy and I will struggle to get upto date and kep everybody happy, but imagine trying to servive earning my salary?

poorwanderingwun
8th May 2007, 12:29
Ultimately it's up to Solenta crews to make the changes... it's them that Solenta depend on to get the job done. I looked at Solenta a while back when I considered paying for my own 1900 rating but one look at what they were offering by way of salary quickly put that idea out of my head...

As KA200 said, the market is opening up... there are decent companies out there, ET is just one (yes I know it's not perfect... please show me one that is ) so get the CV's and the suitcases out and let the bean-counters at Solenta learn to fly aeroplanes.

Rudeman
8th May 2007, 12:35
KA200
What you fail to mention is that very ET salary is TAXABLE. Take 30% off that and see where you get.

Guys also fail to mention that other companies do not pay you in your month off where some do.

Since when is the highest payer the market rate, I was under the impression you take an average.

forkingfishing
8th May 2007, 14:04
This thread is never going to stop is it?

Some of you people out there are truly remarkable, do you really think that moaning about a salary issue on PPRUNE is going to solve the problem? If you have an issue go and speak with your relevant manager/boss/chief pilot.

If you look at the entire package that Solenta offers, you will realise that its not bad at all.

salary on your off month.
decent s and t.
a 50% medical aid cover.
personal accident insurance.
crew retention incentives.
inconvenience allowance for crews asked to extend or going into the field earlier.

And this company employs close to if not more than a 100 pilots?

Over and above that, decent efforts are made to keep the aircraft well maintained certainly a lot better than I have seen from other operators. There are people in management that stand behind the crew if problems arise in the field instead of trying to blame the crew. Modern CRM no?

There are many good aspects to this company the crew here is awsome they are certainly a good bunch of boys and girls and we do a professional job keeping our clients happy.

In case you have not noticed this is a bussiness, for the bussiness to be profitable which I am sure it is, certain measures have to be in place I agree that the crew needs to be kept happy but the crew is not the only aspect of the operation it is one small part of a big team! Be fair people! Unfortunatly Solenta cant offer you everything you want,people will always want more, so be happy with what you have and if youre not happy with what you have then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT there are people out there that have a lot less than some of you!

Now go ahaed and call me whatever you want I really dont give a damn, I am happy here and it is very nice to see Solenta making an effort to keep their crew happy! :ok:

Cheers,

the company man HA HA;)

classicart
9th May 2007, 07:54
This thread is never going to stop is it?

I hope not!:D
Great to see how it evolved from Solenta bashing bitches to moderating average guys to company people...all painting a colorful facet of this (and competitor) companies... I am learning a lot...(Van driver looking to move to a different continent and into bigger equipment)
Smiles to the positive blokes out there - :)

Vw driver
10th May 2007, 05:23
This is not hear say, as a co pilot in Algeria I earned $3000 per month, every month, for 5 1/2 weeks and 4 1/2 weeks off. That is a fair salary.

Vw driver
10th May 2007, 05:29
That was after tax

AnnieTheFanny
10th May 2007, 09:34
Enough of the sniveling drivle Vw-boytjie. It seems that you are looking for attention here. Grow up. Momma's not going to speak again!

Vw driver
10th May 2007, 10:15
Shjoe Auntie, If I didn't know u'r a pilot I'd bescared!!!!!!! Just gave him the facts that Solenta wanted. He can go and dubble check cause they taking over in Algeria, Why????!!!!

U can only do so much contract life, before u start losing grip with reality and also u'r loved once. Well it's also not just the salaries Contract pilots that needs lookiing at, but also the guys flying closer to home.

5p1n4l
11th May 2007, 15:24
Solenta rocks. Brilliant company. (objective)
And you gentlemen moaning about money, here is some advice: Work to learn, not to earn.:)
Veritas

Solid Rust Twotter
11th May 2007, 15:29
Someone else who can afford to work for "passion".:rolleyes: :hmm:

2packson
11th May 2007, 20:25
we must remember that there will be always guys out there whom, in commencing their careers in the gen av, money is like an optional extra!
i myself was also there, flying 'meat-bombers' and other types just for the hours!

But once you are employed/contracted to companies involved in International Operations, dont ever forget the lucrative fees that you as crew have been contracted out for...

A fact is you will never get all of it- so lets get over it...:ugh:

BUT lets keep the balance, not to get screwed (on passion) and not get too greedy...

..most of us will never quite have the financial muscle to get our own aviation companies, and get all of the fat - but then also the headaches man!!

Lets get paid and well enough to have a LIFE whether in the GEN AV (contract dogs!!) or AIRLINE:ok:

hyenacackle
12th May 2007, 01:21
I'll try to keep it civilized this time so that it doesn't get removed
AGAIN ;)

LEARN THIS

Statement that was made is absolute rubbish

classicart
13th May 2007, 03:25
I agree 2packson...
We shouldn't get shafted but not get too greedy either.
But we do need to get paid our fair share since many of us have invested an awfull lot of cash and effort into becoming an airplane driver rather than a pub owner ... no offence to anyone pooring beer...

Turn&Slip
17th May 2007, 04:36
Solenta gets paid about double for the co-pilots in Algeria! Dont you think that is exploitation of crew?!?

Not a good deal for me!! Nice try though :D

QUOTE:

We want a dedicated pool of crew flying in Algeria. The salary structure
will be different to accommodate the 5 week rotation and will remain fixed
on $ 3,000 per month (on or off). All applications will be subject to
client approval.

Please let us know by 31st May 2007 if you are interested.

Regards,

Exxxx Xxxxxxx
Human Resource Manager
Solenta Aviation (Pty) Ltd

bathtub200
17th May 2007, 05:30
please somebody tell this woman that she's breaking rules on this forum

Contract Dog
17th May 2007, 06:13
T&S, if that is the terms of the contract, then good luck to the guys who are prepared to go to Algeria. I for one am sick of hearing
"its not fare:{" if you are not prepared to go to algeria, then you loose out. get over it. There are guys flying here that earn way more than the rest of us, that is their good fortune, YOU are the one that accepts your contract, if you dont like it, find another one. 4HP, what is prunes standpoint on people posting other peoples details?

Solenta
17th May 2007, 06:25
Turn and Slip

Whilst respecting your opinion on the matter, you are not permitted to post information like this, either by Forum rules and definitely not allowed by Solenta. There are confidentiality clauses in an employment contract forbidding exactly this.
I assume you work for Solenta, as you have had access to this information and gone on to publicly disseminate this.

Mark J B
17th May 2007, 09:08
:eek: I think someone touched a nerve here!:eek:

PPRuNe Towers
17th May 2007, 09:15
We like touched nerves.

Market knowledge - meat and drink to us all.

theRealFlyingNomad
17th May 2007, 14:40
This whole subject is really going too far now! :ugh:

Maybe we should all turn ourself to our own companies and see what can be done to improve the whole aviation world.
These forums gave some ideas, but now i really think the ball is in our own camps... and not to try to make a headshot in your "opponents"...but to go further all together...

BigBrother is for stupid TV kids, not for airmen...

Shaikh N Hoque
18th May 2007, 02:11
Ground School for ATR42 is now August 1st? any one going for that?

Insane
18th May 2007, 06:07
Well put!!:ok:

Turn&Slip
18th May 2007, 07:29
is this your lame attempt to manage or to intimidate your fellow workers?:D
small carrot or big stick approach may work for some...

Note that this is very bad management style and not very effective and exposes the operation to aspiring crew.

Watch out new comers.
C U soon

pointer41
18th May 2007, 16:45
T&S, if you are unhappy, go elsewhere? I presume you were glad for the hours and opportunities that you got? Solenta provides very good training and a good career starter, as I understand, haven't flown for them for long time but there are much worse out there to be found, trust me.

FFG
18th May 2007, 17:41
Dear T&S,
I assume you've never sit in an Hassi Messaoud camp.
The worst Sudan camp is ten times more confortable than the sadly famous T-32...
It makes sense that Solenta offers Co-jo's and Captains a little extra to accept such adverse living conditions... Look at Elze e-mail, she is asking you to be there back and forth... No more Monrovia house by the beach... No more Bahrain Grand Prix...
Things are the way they are, for reasons... Which apparently are flying way over your head.
Solenta has clearly choosed to be on the lower side of the market salary. They took no-one by surprise about this, and in full honnesty, they have other good sides to offer...
I will be one of the first to leave Solenta to get better money, India is just twice better... However, until you are in position to get better, stop moaning like a girl. You're hours are going up, you're having the chance to get command in the BEST industry delays, you are beeing paid in time and as told.
So what else exactly you want ? Giving a bad name to Solenta, but Dude, you're a bit too small for that, aren't you ?
You want a better treatment ? Put yourself in position to get one... And stop burning your name on the way.

Cheers.

Vref +10
19th May 2007, 10:18
FFG

Khartoum and SCAA has much more S&!$ than Hassi I would rather work out of Hassi than Sudan(validations & Airport passes) It's a organized Disorganization in Sudan. The accommodation might be better in Sudan.

Frogman1484
19th May 2007, 11:03
hey guys. Solenta can pay what ever they like. It is up to you to decide if it is worth it and accept or not.
When and if they do not get the right qualified pilot, they will have to pay more!

FFG
19th May 2007, 11:14
In my opinion, and it's only mine :
In Sudan, you can have a sort of a social life. You can build decent hours, and the flying is fun. Challenging but fun.
In Sudan, although very disorganized I agree, the clients will never nail you because you "mis-used" the Bp camp swiming pool, or because you did not mention the fire extinguisher in your pax briefing...
The point of comparing HRE with HSSS is that Sudan is as well a very harsh environment... . I managed to have good fun there though...
Oil companies want the same guys over and over. They pay their contractors above average for them to be able to fullfill their "special needs". (High minimums, good use of their pool, thorough briefings, locked up in the camp after 7pm, disgracefull accomodation, extreme climat, scary food and so on). It's not totally unfair the contractor give a bit of extra money to the guys who are willing to commit to that.
Beside, if you work 5 weeks on and off, you would loose out over a year in comparison of the guys who are doing 2 months on / 1 month off. That's another valid reason for the company to adjust the salary...
As said earlier, that salary difference makes sense.

00 IT
2nd Nov 2007, 09:00
Can any one let me know what solenta pay?
From C208 CO to ATR CPT.:confused:

fly1981
3rd Nov 2007, 21:57
Hey!been following this thread since the begining. In my opinion, having worked for other contract companies as well, Solenta is top class!!! They pay average, you will always find more if you look around, but the fact that there is NO flying "broken" Aircraft, Money is in your bank account at the end of every month, And the most important factor for me, is the recurrent training is unbelievable, better than I have ever had. I will quiet happily work for slightly less cash, Peace of mind is worth a lot of money. All I can tell you about the salaries is that they are Average. More than enough to live on, And if you take into account the cost of the training they give you, the package is well above market average. As for the others in this thread who are clearly against solenta, and seem like they work in the company(assuming from the quotes)LEAVE!you are giving the company that myself and plenty of other pilots take pride in working for, a bad name.

Chernoch
4th Nov 2007, 06:51
Hi
A lot of you are missing the point.
1) You are building valuable Multi Crew Twin Turbine time in your loogbook, good for a future Airline job.
2) Unlike a lot of Charter and contract companies that offer more Bucks at least you get your money every month.
No I dont fly for Solenta but have 4 years of Algerian experiance, thier are worse places to fly and unfortunatly you have to deal with some real Wallys.
Remember you have to learn to Crawl before Walking and Walk before running this is an appreticeship we all have to do to make a lasting carreer in Aviation.
Be Positive and Learn

theRealFlyingNomad
4th Nov 2007, 16:02
OO IT!, you just pointed out a very interesting thing that kept us busy for the last 8 monthes!...Salaries!
I already have my popcorn pack and sit comfortly in my sofa waiting to see what's going to come out of your question!
:}
...locked and loaded...
Trust me, you wont be desapointed (by Solenta's salary, and by the answers that will soon be posted below those lines by tens of tens of pilots thirsty of fresh blood)

...thanks for the coming entertainment...:p

sky waiter
4th Nov 2007, 16:11
OK here we go again,

From what i have seen sloenta pay pretty well- they actually have a vested interest in there employees, the management seems to listen, they have upgrade programs and treat you as if you were looking to make a career out of your employment with the company.

On site support is a available always, maintenance is top notch and generally employ well qualified and competent crew for the operation.

No i donot work for solenta either i am but a bystander. UNfortunately

Aviator 81
5th Nov 2007, 13:00
Hi!Sku
Im rily not that much experienced in aviation,Im still a low timer.first officer on the ATR.My piece of advice to you is one simple one,LIFE IS A LEARNING CURVE,you posted a thread asking about job opportunities with Solenta and you got views about the company.Do wat you think is right for you.I myself once thoghout of getting a job with Solenta,but my insticts wouldnt let me.And I never did it.All these guys who are responding to have their reasons and I can tell you that 90% of them are SA guys,they know wats happening within their country.I trained there myself,SA is my neighbour.Aviation is a mess nowdays,pilots are exploited,overworked not paid well and in time and so many outrageous things that you can think of.:rolleyes:
Its other you take their advice or you dnt.
Come to think about it,all this guys who saying SOLENTA aint a gud company to work for,who South Africans,what will happen to you whn you get thr.
Im not trying to scare the hell out of you or anything,bt gudluck :ok:

rockpecker
8th Nov 2007, 06:01
Hey you are really a very bitter soul. You must be female. No man could possibly go on such a rampage.:confused:;)